Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Have you ever heard someone grinding their teeth in their sleep?

I have a few times and it sounds creepy as gently caress.

Or creepy "Af" as the young people say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Yeah it sucks OP.

Not sure it sucks any less than hearing someone grind their teeth when they're awake though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

Not in my sleep, buy I have had a dentist tell me that I grind my teeth.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I keep asking my dentist and he says I don't but my teeth suck and I think he's just trying to bilk me

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
yes and its weird

also I grind my teeth like a mofo, so i gotta suit up (put in a nightguard) when I go to sleep :rolleyes:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

I keep asking my dentist and he says I don't but my teeth suck and I think he's just trying to bilk me

not really sure how to answer that. Maybe get a new dentist?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Why would a dentist not want to sell you an expensive mouth guard and additional care??

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Your mom op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jelly posted:

Why would a dentist not want to sell you an expensive mouth guard and additional care??

I don't know, maybe because they are my my dentist

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Not as bad as sleeping next to someone who clacks their teeth in their sleep like they're biting onto nothing.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My older sister grinds her teeth bad enough to need a guard at night to get some sleep, but I’ve never heard grinding teeth before.

Snoring, on the other hand…

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Grey Cat posted:

Not as bad as sleeping next to someone who clacks their teeth in their sleep like they're biting onto nothing.
I think I've heard that before. Also creepy.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

My older sister grinds her teeth bad enough to need a guard at night to get some sleep, but I’ve never heard grinding teeth before.

Snoring, on the other hand…
Snoring sucks too. It's kept me awake at night before. I just found that the grinding sound was creepy. I wonder if it's because we're so used to snoring. Probably a lot more people do it, and also it's depicted somewhat more comically on TV.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

No, I think it was actually YOURE MOM.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

One of my coworkers shattered a tooth because she was grinding her teeth in her sleep so hard.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
A buddy told me he had a roommate that ground their teeth so loud in their sleep it would keep them up at night. I honestly can't believe it could be that loud.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I snore if I sleep on my back but it wakes me up in addition to anyone else I would theoretically annoy so instead I just sleep on my front/side.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

My son grinds his teeth sometimes; it's terrifyingly loud and it makes me fear that he's going to chip them or something. It's a really freaky noise to hear in the middle of the night when you aren't expecting it.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
my wife said she can hear me grinding my teeth in my sleep sometimes
luckily my teeth are also in bad shape lol

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I had a friend when I was young who would just breathe really loving loud. To date, it's the most annoying sleeping thing I've heard.

Just LOUD AUDIBLE INHALE, "HUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

what does "af" stand for in the young people parlance?

baja gaijin
Jan 30, 2024

I've never heard anyone grind their teeth but I've been imagining it while reading this thread and it seems extremely unpleasant

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Jelly posted:

I snore if I sleep on my back but it wakes me up in addition to anyone else I would theoretically annoy so instead I just sleep on my front/side.

I just had this experience; woke up and realized that meaty flap thing at the back of my throat was making it hard to breathe when I was lying flat on my back. The problem seemed to go away after I propped myself up a bit with some pillows.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i heard my sister chatter her teeth while asleep so i got her one of these

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I used to so I had to get a sleeping mouth guard and then now I sleep with my mouth open and I don't know how to stop someone help me please

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

baja gaijin posted:

I've never heard anyone grind their teeth but I've been imagining it while reading this thread and it seems extremely unpleasant
It's actually somehow worse than whatever you're imagining

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I just had this experience; woke up and realized that meaty flap thing at the back of my throat was making it hard to breathe when I was lying flat on my back. The problem seemed to go away after I propped myself up a bit with some pillows.

I am weirdly attracted to that dumb parrot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
it's called RTM sleep and it's completely normal

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Mrs. Genesplicer grinds her teeth in her sleep most nights. So yes, I've heard it for 35 years.

But I balance this by having conversations in my sleep. According to Mrs. Genesplicer (and the recordings she has occasionally made) I have actual conversations. The words are just random noises, but I will have two or more different voice patterns.

voice one (deeper): Mrrr hrr mff bn sg?

voice two (slightly higher): Hrmm mfr grn stn. Snnn gnnn bnnn srrr?

voice one: Hrrnnn sluuuu blrm tnnnn.

and on and on for several minutes. Mrs. Genesplicer even said that sometimes she can detect accents in the conversation.

So, I guess that's weird.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

never heard grinding but i've heard a lot of click click click biting sounds

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

I'm told I grind my teeth - no idea, as I was unconscious.
So was recommended to wear a toothguard when sleeping. However it's never in my mouth when I wake up. I have found it way across the room, but there are more than one that I haven't found yet. I assume that I'm throwing them out the window in my sleep, which causes me concern.
Exactly how many things is (this looks odd to me, but are doesn't work grammatically) my unconscious body doing? What the hell is going on when I'm not present?
I mean, obviously I'm building up an alibi, but WTF?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

vdarknight posted:

I'm told I grind my teeth - no idea, as I was unconscious.
So was recommended to wear a toothguard when sleeping. However it's never in my mouth when I wake up. I have found it way across the room, but there are more than one that I haven't found yet. I assume that I'm throwing them out the window in my sleep, which causes me concern.
Exactly how many things is (this looks odd to me, but are doesn't work grammatically) my unconscious body doing? What the hell is going on when I'm not present?
I mean, obviously I'm building up an alibi, but WTF?

the average person swallows 5 toothguards a week in their sleep

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
The extraordinary swallow seven

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
I grind my teeth, talk, fight, snore and thrash around in my sleep. Why don't y'all try multitasking? Like adults? Instead of sleeping like little peaceful babies (babies, who I might add, are pathetic and not productive members of society!!!)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
My wife used to do this but I sleep with one of those combination mask/earphone things and I'm pretty certain she's stopped now

I however talk in my sleep, apparently, and will often continue conversations I was having in my dreams after abruptly waking, then immediately falling back to sleep

The grinding though... aaggh you can feel it in your own teeth it's so gnarly

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Buce posted:

what does "af" stand for in the young people parlance?

"As gently caress". them drat MILLENIALS (anyone under 35) are too lazy to spell words. Can you believe that poo poo?

Jelly posted:

I have snored on occasion. I seemed to be able to stop it by putting a pillow under my neck and propping it up. Kinda like how in first aid classes where they get you to tilt the head back to open the airway. Try bunching up a pillow under there.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
A bunch of friends and I had a rental cabin for New Years, and we crammed the place with people sleeping everywhere. I wake at 5AM to this grinding noise, like two rocks being rubbed together. I get up and walk around thinking it may be static on a stereo or TV; checking the kitchen appliances, etc. I finally trace to a friend, two rooms away behind closed doors, and I could see his jaw just grinding away. Crazy part was there were other people in the room still asleep. I figure they were just too passed out from the partying. I just went back to sleep with a pillow over my head.

When everyone got up we asked if he had always grinded his teeth and he said he didn't grind his teeth at all. About 5 people immediately said, yeah, you totally grind your teeth.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I cracked all of my molars grinding and then got a nightguard, still the only cavities I've had as an adult.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Internetjack posted:

A bunch of friends and I had a rental cabin for New Years, and we crammed the place with people sleeping everywhere. I wake at 5AM to this grinding noise, like two rocks being rubbed together.

I read this wrong initially

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Sex Farm posted:

I used to so I had to get a sleeping mouth guard and then now I sleep with my mouth open and I don't know how to stop someone help me please

get a chin strap and maybe mouth moisturizer like BioTene if you still have dry mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Buce posted:

the average person swallows 5 toothguards a week in their sleep

Toothguards Georg is an outlier and should not have been counted