Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Criticker is a website where you rate movies you've seen. The website uses your ratings, and the ratings of others, to predict what you would rate movies you haven't seen. The predicted ratings are typically quite accurate.

How Does it Work?
Criticker compares your ratings to the ratings of everyone else. People who have similar ratings to you are assumed to have similar tastes to you, and Criticker uses their ratings to guess at what your rating of unseen movies would be. See this explanation on their site for more information.

Does it do Anything Else?
Criticker also lets you browse and create lists of movies, search through the movie database and find movies based on various criteria, investigate directors, view ratings and reviews other people have made, add people to your friends list, write your own short reviews, find suggested movies that you'll probably enjoy, and hang out on the Criticker forums, which last I checked was full of creepy people, racist people, and some misogynists.

What Are Some Cool Lists on Criticker?
Lists are called "collections." Here are some interesting ones, which you can "star" to keep track of:
They Shoot Pictures 250 Quintessential Noir Films
They Shoot Pictures Neo-Noir
Cinemacom's 500 Best Westerns
Sight and Sound 2002 Films With 2 or More Votes
They Shoot Pictures 1,000 Greatest Films (2013)
Empire's 100 Best Films of World Cinema
Films from Cinema Discusso's "Movies You Should See" Thread (somewhat outdated I think)
The Onion AV Club: The New Cult Canon Films
The Onion AV Club: Best Films of the '00s
The Onion AV Club: Best Films of the '90s
Slate's 50 Other Best Films of the '90s
51st Festival del Cine de Cartagena Top 25 Latin American Movies

How Can I Search the Criticker Database?
The Criticker database is pretty sweet. At the top of the site, go to the "Explore" tab and select "Film Database" to get started:

Let's say I want to see my favorite action films from the '90s. On the left, I'd select "Action" from the Genre section and type in 1990 to 1999 in the Year section, then I'd select "Your Rankings" at the bottom to make sure I only get films I've seen:

Then just like that, I've got my movies ranked, just like that!

The '90s were not a good time for James Bond movies, if you ask me, I guess.

You can apply lots of filters, which is great for stuff like finding the best Chinese films of 1988 that you haven't seen or the best sci-fi Westerns or all the pre-1950 horror movies.

How Does the Filmmaker List Work?
I'm glad you asked because this thing is pretty dope. Check it out under the "Explore" tab:

From here, you can choose "Directors," "Actors," or "Screenwriters" at the top, then select the minimum number of films from that person for that person to be included on the list. So, for instance, if I want to rank actors based on how much I tend to like stuff they're in, and limit it to actors I've seen in 4 or more movies, I can do that.

I guess Alec Guinness is in some pretty good poo poo. This list is also really good for exposing how few movies I've seen.

How Can I Find Reviews and Stuff for Movies?
Just search for the movie on Criticker. There's some pretty cool information hiding there too. Let's take Sergio Leone's epic Once Upon a Time in the West as our example.

Here we can see basic information on the film, my ranking on the left, and reviews on the right, which are by default sorted by "TCI," or Taste Compatibility Index. This means the people near the top of the list tend to agree with my movie rankings more than the people near the bottom. We can see some of them have written little reviews - I can "star" reviews I like. I never do this.

There's a "Buy" tab we can skip unless you want to buy the film. The "Collections" tab is handy - it shows lists that contain the film. The real fun is over at the "Stats" tab, though. Check it out:

From this we can tell that most people really like the movie (it's in Tier 9 or 10 for most people), men like it a bit more, and its charm is lost on old people, perhaps because the way it harkens back to bygone days causes them to painfully confront their own mortality.

Can I Change the Colors and Quips Criticker Assigns to My Rankings? Can I Use Different Numbers?
Sure thing - go to your profile by clicking your username in the upper right, then at the bottom, click on "Manually control the colors & quips applied to your rankings with this tool:"

From here you can fiddle with what number levels, colors, and quips you'll see on the site.

How Can I Find Movies with Criticker That I Might Like?
Click on the "Recommendations" link under the "Explore" tab. This will suggest movies from various genres and decades, plus movies in theaters. Alternatively just go to the film database, add some filters, and sort the movies by predicted score.

Can I Be Friends With People on this Website?
Yes! You can be friends. Criticker calls friends "kumpels." In German that's slang for "buddy." If you add someone to your kumpels list, you can see their rankings of movies and stuff. Want some Goon kumpels? Check it out:

Goons using Criticker
adamj1982
Addy
Alex WS
Aorist
Atheistdeals.com
axleblaze
baronanglish
bmmello
Bo Berry
Bown
caiman
Cantskate43
CloseFriend
Coconut Pete
ColonelCurmudgeon
Criminal Minded
Crumleg
csidle
Dancing Potato
Daunte Vicknabb
Daveski
delicious beef
DetoxP
Dimentia
DivisionPost
DMCrimson
doctor 7
Doctor Tupac
Egbert Souse
escape artist
F Stop Fitzgerald
fancyclown
FitFortDanga
foodfight
FoppSomms
friendo55
Friends Are Evil
futurememory
Gushing Granny
Hipsteresque
Honest Thief
InfiniteZero
J. Scott
Jack Does Jihad
Jay Dub
jimcunningham
jjack229
Joey Gladstone
JohnnyDavidson
Judakel
kanonvandekempen
katatonic
Killfast37
krupa
Kull the Conqueror
LesterGroans
Llamadeus
LOOK I AM A TURTLE
LtKenFrankenstein
Mahler
Mean Bean Machine
Mike_V
Miss Jesus
MisterBibs
Moeru
Mola Yam
Mr. Fun
MrGunner
Normalman
NoSleepTillBedtime
Noxville
Nroo
Pascallion
Parachute
Peaceful Anarchy
Pet Rock Band
Pickpocket
Pigeon Shamus
Pillowpants
pintle
piratepilates
Power of Pecota
Quad
Ratedargh
red
RubeTube
Safe Driver
Sandwich Bender
SaviourX
Schmuck of Ages
Sheldrake
Shtemlow
Slackerish
Smoove J
Soundtrack To Mary
spamman
Spatula City
Sporadic
Starscream
StickyNavels
Technetium
tendrilsfor20
TenSpadesBeTrump
TetsuoTW
thegloaming
Timmo Collins
toro913
Tripwyre
TrixRabbi
Tsyni
Twitch
TychoCelchuuu
Veib
Voodoofly
Wilhelm Scream
Withdrawal Plans
Wolfgang Pauli
Wreath of Barbs
Yoshifan823

Reply to this thread with your Criticker username if you want to be included on the list.

Are There Any Criticker Alternatives?
For making lists + ranking things, check out Letterboxd and I Check Movies.

For finding lists of movies, check out Lists of Bests and They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Sweet, another Criticker thread! I love finding new ways to obsessively catalog my movie-watching catalog.

If you want, feel free to add me to the list of goons in the OP. I'm moonsmilk on there.

friendo55 posted:

Fantastic OP! I've been consistently using Letterboxd as of late but this has rejuvenated my interest for Criticker.

Letterboxd is really great too. I've been using that one for a while.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 20, 2013

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Fantastic OP! I've been consistently using Letterboxd as of late but this has rejuvenated my interest for Criticker.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

Letterboxd is really great too. I've been using that one for a while.

I just searched 'Friends are Evil' on Letterboxd and I may have found you.
... film bitch?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Sweet, another Criticker thread! I love finding new ways to obsessively catalog my movie-watching catalog.

If you want, feel free to add me to the list of goons in the OP. I'm moonsmilk on there.
You're on the list now!

friendo55 posted:

Thanks! I tried Letterboxd briefly but I wasn't a huge fan. The site felt sort of clunky (although it's admittedly sort of pretty) and I also didn't like the reduction in specificity when it came to the ratings I could give. I'm also not sure it was giving me very helpful recommendations - Criticker's accuracy and its constant willingness to suggest movies I've never heard of are both very valuable to me and Letterboxd didn't really seem to have either of those features.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

friendo55 posted:

I just searched 'Friends are Evil' on Letterboxd and I may have found you.
... film bitch?

Ha, just looked that guy up and that's totally not me. I don't know what's going on with his profile.

This is my letterboxd:

http://letterboxd.com/dorkthrone/

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 20, 2013

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

Ha, just looked that guy up and that's totally not me. I don't know what's going on with his profile.

This is my letterboxd:

Done and done.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Thanks! I tried Letterboxd briefly but I wasn't a huge fan. The site felt sort of clunky (although it's admittedly sort of pretty) and I also didn't like the reduction in specificity when it came to the ratings I could give. I'm also not sure it was giving me very helpful recommendations - Criticker's accuracy and its constant willingness to suggest movies I've never heard of are both very valuable to me and Letterboxd didn't really seem to have either of those features.

Yea and I don't really use either site for recommendations, but more for general discussion, making lists, and the diary aspect of Letterboxd. I have a hard enough time keeping up with big festival films and the major theatrical releases of each year to worry about any other obscure titles! So many movies and so little time.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
You missed me. Also, to make this a bit easier:

adamj1982
Addy
Alex WS
Aorist
Atheistdeals.com
axleblaze
baronanglish
bmmello
Bo Berry
Bown
caiman
Cantskate43
CloseFriend
Coconut Pete
ColonelCurmudgeon
Criminal Minded
Crumleg
csidle
Dancing Potato
Daunte Vicknabb
Daveski
delicious beef
DetoxP
Dimentia
DivisionPost
DMCrimson
doctor 7
Doctor Tupac
Egbert Souse
escape artist
F Stop Fitzgerald
fancyclown
FitFortDanga
foodfight
FoppSomms
friendo55
Friends Are Evil
futurememory
Gushing Granny
Hipsteresque
InfiniteZero
J. Scott
Jack Does Jihad
Jay Dub
jjack229
JohnnyDavidson
Judakel
kanonvandekempen
katatonic
Killfast37
krupa
Kull the Conqueror
LesterGroans
Llamadeus
LOOK I AM A TURTLE
LtKenFrankenstein
Mahler
Mean Bean Machine
Mike_V
Miss Jesus
Moeru
Mola Yam
Mr. Fun
MrGunner
Normalman
NoSleepTillBedtime
Noxville
Nroo
Pascallion
Parachute
Peaceful Anarchy
Pet Rock Band
Pickpocket
Pigeon Shamus
Pillowpants
pintle
piratepilates
Power of Pecota
Quad
Ratedargh
red
RubeTube
Safe Driver
Sandwich Bender
SaviourX
Schmuck of Ages
Sheldrake
Shtemlow
Smoove J
Soundtrack To Mary
spamman
Spatula City
Sporadic
Starscream
StickyNavels
Technetium
tendrilsfor20
TenSpadesBeTrump
TetsuoTW
thegloaming
Timmo Collins
toro913
Tripwyre
TrixRabbi
Twitch
TychoCelchuuu
Veib
Voodoofly
Wilhelm Scream
Withdrawal Plans
Wolfgang Pauli
Yoshifan823

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That... is easier. Thank you!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

and hang out on the Criticker forums, which last I checked was full of creepy people, racist people, and some misogynists.

"Hmm... This reminds me that I've been using Criticker for awhile now but haven't really checked out the forums much. Well, how bad can it really be? I'll just check out this thread on 12 Years a-"

:stare:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I haven't checked those forums in a long time so I'm glad my slander turns out to have been entirely justified. Well, sort of glad.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

There was a time when the Criticker forums were a bit deserted but otherwise interesting. That time is long gone. I guess most people have other more interesting forums to post in.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Fantastic OP!

I prefer the overall look of Letterboxd, but I find Criticker to have easier/more user-friendly functionality. Maybe it's more due to the fact that by the time I discovered Letterboxd I already had gone through the trouble of rating a thousand-plus movies on Criticker.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I haven't looked at Letterboxd, but I love Criticker for its massive library and its predicting power. Now that I have 1378 films logged it's become incredibly accurate. I also feel like its mini-reviews have just the right length-constraint to force me to distill my thoughts down to succinct-yet-effective arguments.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

I never got in on the last thread, so I'm glad there's a new one getting started. Feel free to add me to the list so Goons can tell me I have bad taste in movies. :)

http://www.criticker.com/profile/sgdrew_ii/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm up to 1942 films, but my best TCI is 1.45. My best TCI after that is 1.64. (with the minimum 3% in common, too)

I wonder how I can improve this.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wreath of Barbs posted:

I never got in on the last thread, so I'm glad there's a new one getting started. Feel free to add me to the list so Goons can tell me I have bad taste in movies. :)

http://www.criticker.com/profile/sgdrew_ii/

Looks like we're a bit off, but I added you as my kumpel because I only have one other! Can't believe you don't love Mean Girls. Be my kumpel, goons!

http://www.criticker.com/profile/tsyni/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Red posted:

I'm up to 1942 films, but my best TCI is 1.45. My best TCI after that is 1.64. (with the minimum 3% in common, too)

I wonder how I can improve this.
Is it supposed to be better? My best TCI is 1.55 and my fourth best is 1.64.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is it supposed to be better? My best TCI is 1.55 and my fourth best is 1.64.

I thought so? Most people in this thread seemed to have TCIs with much more in common.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Red posted:

I thought so? Most people in this thread seemed to have TCIs with much more in common.

I have 7 users with a TCI of less than 1.20 and 71 with less than 1.45. Lowest TCI is 1.0977. I don't know what this says about my tastes but, well, there ya go.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
My best TCI is 1.9427, and my best TCI of any user who has reviewed recently is 2.0153. I don't really put any stock into that, though. Different people like different things, and I've always had pretty out-there taste anyway.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This thread made me go back and do a huge overhaul of my scores. Rating from 0-100 made me worry too much about the value of a single point, 1-10 is much easier and allows me more room to change my views.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yoshifan823 posted:

This thread made me go back and do a huge overhaul of my scores. Rating from 0-100 made me worry too much about the value of a single point, 1-10 is much easier and allows me more room to change my views.
Why not just think of 80-84, 85-89, etc as being the same score and accept that the slight variations reflect your mood and such. I hate going down to rating out of 10 on imdb because I feel it bunches up all these movies that clearly deserve different scores. I'd probably rate out of 1000 if I could.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Yoshifan823 posted:

Honestly, I think 1-10 doesn't really work well with my rankings. Just now, I decided to reset my rankings because everything below a 9 or 10 was just ranking as decent.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao, I just re-ranked everything from my previous system of rating things 1-10. Now I just do it in 5s, 75, 80, 85, 90...etc. I found that doing a 1-10 system made it so a lot of recommendations came up with "not enough info" for some reason. After using the 1-10 for a while I really wished I had some nuance between 7 and 8, or 6 and 7.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Small correction: the URL to my Criticker account is http://www.criticker.com/profile/thegloaming/

Great OP!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I used to have a Criticker but then stopped because the website is just the ugliest layout possible. It looks like it's from 1999 and there haven't been any upgrades to the design of it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

i am not so sure posted:

I used to have a Criticker but then stopped because the website is just the ugliest layout possible. It looks like it's from 1999 and there haven't been any upgrades to the design of it.
But that's what makes it so great. It's simple and functional.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

MUBI is light years above any other likewise site.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And it's $5 per month so gently caress that noise.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mubi is a streaming site first and everything else second. That $5 per month pays for the selection of films available. I don't know what that selection looks like lately, it was pretty lovely when it started. Mubi looks like rear end and is a pain to use for any purpose, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm another letterboxd user - http://letterboxd.com/jayx/

Still waiting for my pro membership to come through just because I wanted the stats view with the yearly breakdowns. Really hoping they add more and more stuff like that to the site, they have a ton of database data so it should just get better and better. Found I was able to add close to a thousand ratings really quickly too by going to the Film list then breaking it down by the most popular films of each decade and tagging them as I went along.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm another letterboxd user - http://letterboxd.com/jayx/

Nice review of Twenty Feet From Stardom!

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I made a letterbox'd account to mess around with - http://letterboxd.com/safedriver/

I really like criticker but I keep getting virus notifications from their banner ads ; they still popup even with adblock on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

friendo55 posted:

Nice review of Twenty Feet From Stardom!

Cheers man! One of those movies I knew I would click with the moment I read the blurb.

e: ha, just realised that when I was adding all my ratings for films I'd watched before 2010 but hadn't kept a log of, it was your 'In My Opinion' lists that I was using to backfill from! Small world, etc.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 16, 2014

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

ha, just realised that when I was adding all my ratings for films I'd watched before 2010 but hadn't kept a log of, it was your 'In My Opinion' lists that I was using to backfill from! Small world, etc.

That's pretty funny actually!

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I do ratings pretty sporadically but here's my profile for reference's sake: http://www.criticker.com/profile/mjh0811

Also, wow, those forums. Just read the page about Ellen Page coming out and my eyes and brain are simultaneously bleeding.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Slackerish posted:

I do ratings pretty sporadically but here's my profile for reference's sake: http://www.criticker.com/profile/mjh0811

Also, wow, those forums. Just read the page about Ellen Page coming out and my eyes and brain are simultaneously bleeding.

Please remind me to never go on those forums again.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TrixRabbi posted:

Please remind me to never go on those forums again.
I'm glad to see the bad things I said about those forums in the OP are still correct. Well, sort of glad. In a weird way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

I'm on Criticker with the user name "Gladstone" and I'm really stupid

Joey Gladstone fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 18, 2014

• Locked thread