Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_jQycdQGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_6VUs2VCk

I looked back as far as I could only to find no one made a thread on this one yet. I'm honestly surprised because holy poo poo. It's no wonder the word exhilarating is on the poster, because that's the best way to sum it up. If you don't know, here's the synopsis:

quote:

A young and talented drummer attending a prestigious music academy finds himself under the wing of the most respected professor at the school, one who does not hold back on abuse towards his students. The two form an odd relationship as the student tries to achieve greatness, and the professor tries to stop him.

But what is this movie really about? It's definitely not a movie about trying to make it in music school. This is a movie about an incredibly twisted, abusive relationship, one defined by the need to achieve greatness. This has been a massive hype machine since it blew people away at Sundance, winning both jury and audience awards. J.K. Simmons is pretty much the frontrunner to win Best Supporting Actor at every award show, and he deserves it. This has some of the best direction and editing you'll see all year. The final sequence in this movie might be the best ending of any movie in a long time. Hyperbole hyperbole hyperbole. It's a great film.

You can find out if it's playing in your area here: http://www.sonyclassics.com/whiplash/dates.html

I hope I'm not the only one here who's seen this. I hope this will be a dark horse contender during awards season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Good to see JK Simmons getting a bigger role in something.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Here's a pretty interesting article/review about this movie written by the great drummer Kid Millions:

http://thetalkhouse.com/music/talks/kid-millions-talks-whiplash-and/

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I saw this a little while back and it's one of my favourite movies of the year so far (and this is already one of the best years for movies in a while). The acting from the two main characters was superb, and I don't think I've been that tense watching a movie in years. This movie made me go from not knowing who Miles Teller was to really hoping he gets some great roles in the future.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Saw it a couple weeks ago, and I'm still kind of in shock. Thing is, in lesser hands this could've just come across as some silly PSA about how "you need balance in life and yadayada bullshit", but it takes such a darker turn when Fletcher is essentially proven correct about his beliefs. Not to mention the craftsmanship is absolute perfection. Not a single cut is unmotivated. Not a single word wasted. Probably the tightest film in terms of story structure I've seen in a while.

And holy hell, those final 10 minutes. Just Wow.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

HP Hovercraft posted:

Here's a pretty interesting article/review about this movie written by the great drummer Kid Millions:

He kind of can't see the forest for the trees here, although he does try to extend the movie beyond its reach (and fails).

The movie is a basic "means justifying the ends" argument. Fletcher has a horrible method for bringing out greatness, and the movie shows how that method pays off. It also shows the insane amount of damage needed to get to that point. Fletcher thinks that destroying the hopes and dreams of hundreds or even thousands of kids is worth it as long as he can get one Charlie Parker out of it. In reality, Fletcher is just a horrible, abusive rear end in a top hat. He doesn't pick Andrew because he sees the potential for great talent. He picks him because he sees someone who can buy into his bullshit.

But is it about reaching that level of greatness and becoming a legend? I don't think so. This is like watching a dog constantly try to impress its cruel master. It's entirely about these two people. What confirmed that for me was at the very end we don't get the audience's reaction to the drum solo. Andrew looks up at Fletcher, and he finally smiles at him. He didn't care about anyone else's thoughts. Everything was about whether or not Fletcher would approve. I think it's a perfect ending.

But my favourite shot has to be the cutaway to Andrew's dad watching him perform at the end. Usually that type of shot gets used to rub it in the face of the people who stopped the main character from achieving their full worth, like a big "told you so." But Andrew's dad isn't shocked at his son's skills. He's horrified. He sees the monster his son has become in order to play at that level. That's what I love about this movie. It follows the sports movie/underdog tale formula, except it's severely twisted.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

HP Hovercraft posted:

This reads exactly like one of those bizarre take-downs of a sci-fi film for getting the science wrong. What a strange review. "The drumheads are all wrong!"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I can understand a very passionate musician feeling upset that a movie seems to get the essence of his passion wrong. I'd liken it to Bret Hart loving the craftsmanship of The Wrestler but primarily being pissed off at it for presenting a very specific and negative understanding of the industry that had nothing to do with his own experience.

Not sure why I'm defending a bad article about an amazing movie.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Saw this a bit back and it's absolutely one of my favorites of 2014. Cant say much aside from my wife shared the article with me before the movie and it kinda snapped me out of it at one point but aside from that, totally awesome.

My suggestion: read the article after you see it if you want to read it. Not before.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

So far Miles Teller has been in a bunch of teen oriented movies (Footloose remake, The Spectacular Now, Divergent) but to my surprise is far and away the best thing about them. As in, I could tolerate the Footloose remake because of his performance. He has that Tom Hanks regular-looking-leading-man quality with the talent to match, so I'm excited to see what he brings to this, and see where his career goes from here.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LloydDobler posted:

So far Miles Teller has been in a bunch of teen oriented movies (Footloose remake, The Spectacular Now, Divergent) but to my surprise is far and away the best thing about them. As in, I could tolerate the Footloose remake because of his performance. He has that Tom Hanks regular-looking-leading-man quality with the talent to match, so I'm excited to see what he brings to this, and see where his career goes from here.

He's gonna break big after The Fantastic Four.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Finally this is in my area. Will see ASAP.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LloydDobler posted:

I totally forgot about Footloose. I should revisit that one of these days.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Apples McGrind posted:

Saw it a couple weeks ago, and I'm still kind of in shock. Thing is, in lesser hands this could've just come across as some silly PSA about how "you need balance in life and yadayada bullshit", but it takes such a darker turn when Fletcher is essentially proven correct about his beliefs. Not to mention the craftsmanship is absolute perfection. Not a single cut is unmotivated. Not a single word wasted. Probably the tightest film in terms of story structure I've seen in a while.

And holy hell, those final 10 minutes. Just Wow.

Just saw it this evening and I agree. Easily one of the tightest films I've seen since Doubt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yoshifan823 posted:

He's gonna break big after The Fantastic Four.

I think he's going to be big with or without that film.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The ending to this movie is totally cornball and pretty perfect.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Is it better than Drumline?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

How the hell is this thread not busier? I saw this on Tuesday and was captivated the entire time and I know jack poo poo about jazz or being a musician. Out of four of the most talked about performances this season (Steve Carrell in Foxcatcher, Michael Keaton in Birdman, Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler) I think J. K. Simmons impressed me the most (with Gyllenhaal close behind). He pretty much owns his character the first time you see him. And the other guy is good too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this was going to be a Metallica movie but it actually sounds pretty good as is. Too bad it's only being released here in February.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Saw this on Thanksgiving, not sure what I think about it.

Fletcher is a monster who drove at least one student to suicide trying to make perfect jazz musicians, but in the end he creates his Charlie Parker.

Neyman is a driven kid willing to sacrifice everything, and in the end he does and succeeds beyond his wildest dreams.

Everyone gets what they wants without ever changing who they are. v:shobon:v

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 1, 2014

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Goddamn you. Put some spoiler tags on that you idiot

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
So I finally got to see this movie today, and it's simply amazing. J.K. Simmons recently won the nyfcc year-end award for best supporting actor, and it's easy to see why. That's not to say anything less of Miles Teller; in fact, all of the performances were pretty spot on. The music was understandably amazing, the third act was just as gripping as I'd heard it was, and most importantly it was so realistic in my opinion. The movie actually reminds me a lot of Black Swan, wherein a performer is driven to insanity within their art form. It really does show how intense the music industry can be and how easy it is to be driven beyond your own breaking point. Obviously the lack of a pseudo-fantasy mentality that Black Swan had makes things a bit less ambiguous in this movie, which further enhances the realism of it all. It shows an actual transformation of a character who sacrifices not only his friends and loved ones, but also a part of himself in pursuit of his goals. Anyway, it was absolutely spellbinding from beginning to end, and I certainly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The last ten minutes alone are worth the price of admission, god drat

every
Apr 24, 2008

I thought it was a good movie and a great conversation-starter. It's impossible to have characters that are more one-dimensional, but I guess that's the point.

The climax of the movie is undeniably awesome, but the most interesting part, to me, was the conversation Fletcher and Andrew have at the bar. The whole idea of "good job" being harmful words, etc. If the point of the movie is that "greatness" is achieved only through abuse (internal or external) and constantly feeling inadequate, well, that's pretty much ethically wrong and historically incorrect.

My reading is that, at the end of the movie, Andrew has finally met Fletcher's insane standard, and they've reached some sort of understanding. But wait, I thought Fletcher's mantra was that nothing is ever "good enough"? Why shouldn't Fletcher just turn around after that final performance, and say, "hey, you loving suck, that was terrible"? By his logic, wouldn't that result in a more perfect drummer?

I don't know, it makes for good conversation, and it was fun to watch.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
I loved the movie, I'm about to read that article now to see what its all about.

I've played drums for about 15 years and I'm a jazz enthusiast so I'm a bit biased but I didnt find much to nitpick. As was stated earlier, It's not really a movie about drums anyway. The comparison to Black Swan is quite apt, although Whiplash is really grounded in reality.

I wonder if the writer/director always meant for it to be centered on the drums or if if they picked the instrument because it was the most relatable and for how much easier it must be to capture the intensity of. I mean I dont think the workout montages would have worked the same with a sax player practicing scales.

edit: read both the article by 'Kid Million' and another by Peter Erskine. They are both highly critical of the film as a jazz/drums representation and they have great points. Still I cant help but think that it's a wonderful movie for its photography, acting and pacing.

White Rabbit fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 27, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It was a great movie. That ending scene! Andrew got a new dad!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

In a way, Whiplash kind of fits with all those "American Dream" satires from last year like The Wolf of Wall Street, Pain & Gain, Spring Breakers, etc.

It's about a kid who believes if he works hard enough then he's going to become the greatest of all time. He gives up everything - His relationships, his health, his humanity - all in the pursuit of success. What's more American than that?

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
That's one of the things I love about it; there are so many movies and shows about the abusive teacher where the main character idolizes them, goes through their abuse, but eventually is able to succeed and break away from a possible abusive relationship. But the last scene is Neiman's success and the consummation of Neiman and Fletcher's abusive relationship, and those two things are intertwined. The ending should be uplifting becaise Neiman's finally become the great drummer he needs to be and impressed Fletcher the way he wants to, but does that really matter when he's thrown everything else away except for the drums and Fletcher? Does it even count as success when he's so single-minded?

Really, the movie is the development of a polyamorous abusive relationship between Neiman, the drums, and Fletcher.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just saw this last night. One of the most intense movies I've seen in a long time. Now let's have a laugh at this New Yorker writer who completely missed the point because he hates Buddy Rich: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/whiplash-getting-jazz-right-movies

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Just saw it last night and thought it was pretty solid. The last 1/3 of the film was a bit awkward. It felt like the film ended about 3-4 times. Also, the shot with the car crash should have been scrapped. We've been already sold on how much Andrew really wants to be the core drummer. Having him in a potentially fatal car crash and all bloodied up while running to make the shows opening was pretty ridiculous.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Agreed. That scene was silly.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This is one of the best movies I've seen in years. Years. Nearly perfect in every way.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

xzoto1 posted:

Just saw it last night and thought it was pretty solid. The last 1/3 of the film was a bit awkward. It felt like the film ended about 3-4 times. Also, the shot with the car crash should have been scrapped. We've been already sold on how much Andrew really wants to be the core drummer. Having him in a potentially fatal car crash and all bloodied up while running to make the shows opening was pretty ridiculous.

I think the stuff involving his "love interest" could have been done better or scrapped completely - maybe even make it just a friend.

Other than that - great loving movie. I saw Interstellar the week prior - and there was more tension in the last 10 minutes than the entirety of that movie any movie from this year. I took my girlfriend in blind - and she loved it as well.

Did anyone else get a Karate Kid vibe from it?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There was one scene in this movie that I thought was going to be terrible but actually turned out great--the dinner scene early on with his extended family (or dad's friends?). When they started talking about football I rolled my eyes and thought "Here we go, this director got made fun of by jocks in high school and he's going to use this scene to tell us why sports are for terrible people," but it really showed how Fletcher had rubbed off on Andrew while also giving the quarterback kid a somewhat deserving comeuppance--nobody gives a poo poo about D3 football outside of D3 players.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just saw this last night. One of the most intense movies I've seen in a long time. Now let's have a laugh at this New Yorker writer who completely missed the point because he hates Buddy Rich: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/whiplash-getting-jazz-right-movies

You can actually see the point fly loop-de-loops over his head, back and forth like a stunt plane.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

CaptainHollywood posted:

I think the stuff involving his "love interest" could have been done better or scrapped completely - maybe even make it just a friend.

Other than that - great loving movie. I saw Interstellar the week prior - and there was more tension in the last 10 minutes than the entirety of that movie any movie from this year. I took my girlfriend in blind - and she loved it as well.

Did anyone else get a Karate Kid vibe from it?

I agree. That was another point I was going to make but it didn't play out as lovely as I thought it would and so I let it slide.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
JK Simmons is the greatest. I really hope he gets the Oscar for his role as Fletcher. He was magnetic and very very commanding in all of his scenes. The tension in the film is killer.

A+++++

Everyone go see Whiplash.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

JK Simmons is a lock for a Best Supporting Actor nomination but i feel like if Hannibal Lecter's a lead, he's a lead.

Cat Sidhe
Jan 9, 2015
Great movie. Probably one of the only movies I've seen lately where I wouldn't really want anything cut or changed. Also, if you go to J.K Simmons Wikipedia page, just look at all the awards he's got from this.

Cat Sidhe fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

JK Simmons is a lock for a Best Supporting Actor nomination but i feel like if Hannibal Lecter's a lead, he's a lead.

I finally watched Silence of the Lambs recently. I was surprised to see how little Anthony Hopkins was actually in it.

• Locked thread