Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Another month, another thread about the greatest circus on earth.

(Okay, so Congress technically isn't gridlocked anymore, but it still applies.)

Last month brought us the new 114th United States Congress with a renewed Republican majority, who now hold both houses. After a fairly bad month featuring a number of early missteps, and a relatively successful State of the Union speech by President Obama, Republicans are looking forward to a fresh start in February. With Keystone XL now only needing to pass the House one more time, the impending end of the continuing resolution to fund DHS, and the end of the debt ceiling moratorium in mid-March, Republicans may very well seize the opportunity. As the USPol thread knows though, there's always more, and it is always worse, so buckle up, because it's going to be a bumpy ride!

(Credit to Sockser, with apologies to John Rule)

Here Comes Trollbama!

Following another shellacking in the 2014 polls, Obama has apparently transformed into an otherworldly being known as "Trollbama". Possibly related to the mythical "Campaign Obama" (and equally powerless to achieve political ends requiring the passage of legislation), this creature has been hard at work in January (especially in his State of the Union speech).

114th Congress Bingo Card

Last month, I pulled together a number of predictions for what the 114th Congress would do. Now's as good a time as any to recap some of the highlights that came up last month and that might pop up this month.

Other News

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries
Slavery by Another Name

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California
There was a South thread, too, but it's been dead since last July.

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken's OP last month. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Well done on the prompt OP! I'm curious to see what Obama does about parental leave. I believe he mentioned pushing for 6 weeks for govt employees, but as I understand it that would take a law. So not likely, in other words.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Here's hoping our pointless hostility towards Iran eases up a bit this year. Not much chance with this congress but we can dream.
E: great job on the OP btw, Cosmo.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Thanks for taking up the USPol OP, Comrade. I wish to recommend Matt Taibbi's 'The Divide' for books relevant to inequality and regulatory capture.

Fried Chicken, thank you for all your hard work, as well, and to everyone for helping keep me abreast of the suicidally-depressing goings on in this country.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Tubgoat posted:

Thanks for taking up the USPol OP, Comrade. I wish to recommend Matt Taibbi's 'The Divide' for books relevant to inequality and regulatory capture.

Pair the book with copious amounts of alcohol to deal with the reality that is nigh impossible to fix.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Griftopia is a good read too, and Maddow's Drift is a great analysis of how US military power got so ridiculous and irrational.

Perlstein's trilogy should also be in the recommended reading.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Will American politics improve now that we have finally impeached Fried Chicken?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I've thoroughly been enjoying Gabriel Sherman's Loudest Voice In The Room because the rise of Roger Ailes through the network television empire is pretty significant.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Yes, congrats to ComradeCosmonaut in his resounding defeat over Fried Chicken. I'd call this a mandate from the people, CC.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've heard some rumblings in the Middle East thread and have come to believe that Brown Moses might be developing WMDs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

baw posted:

Perlstein's trilogy should also be in the recommended reading.
Can't second that hard enough. Nixonland is really great, and I enjoyed The Invisible Bridge a lot.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "People are tired of all the old faces―Clinton, Romney, Bush. People are looking for a fresh, exciting face―like me." ~ Mitch McConnell

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "People are tired of all the old faces―Clinton, Romney, Bush. People are looking for a fresh, exciting face―like me." ~ Mitch McConnell

"A turtle face, if you will."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

I can't hate this man. Every time he smiles, he looks surprised, like he wasn't expecting something to go right.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just FYI, you guys, Sheila Jackson Lee posted a new photo to Facebook.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'll go ahead and post this here:

quote:

Huckabee compares gay marriage to drinking, swearing

Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee says expecting Christians to accept same-sex marriage is "like asking someone who's Jewish to start serving bacon-wrapped shrimp in their deli."

He also called homosexuality a lifestyle choice, like drinking and swearing....

"People can be my friends who have lifestyles that are not necessarily my lifestyle. I don't shut people out of my circle or out of my life because they have a different point of view," Huckabee told CNN's Dana Bash, while deflecting a question about whether he believes being gay is a choice.

"I don't drink alcohol, but gosh -- a lot of my friends, maybe most of them, do. You know, I don't use profanity, but believe me, I've got a lot of friends who do. Some people really like classical music and ballet and opera -- it's not my cup of tea," Huckabee said.

He also offered a nod to legislation that some conservatives have advocated on the national and state levels protecting businesses from discrimination claims for adhering to their owners' religious views.

"This is not just a political issue. It is a biblical issue. And as a biblical issue -- unless I get a new version of the scriptures, it's really not my place to say, OK, I'm just going to evolve," Huckabee said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/01/politics/huckabee-gay-marriage/index.html

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mike Huckabee is Mike Huckabee - news at 11.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just proving more that the book of 'his' that is coming out soon was clearly ghostwritten when it came to gay marriage.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

BiggerBoat posted:

And yet Mike Huckabee is all about banning same-sex marriage and villifying homosexuality, but has no interest in doing the same for drinking or swearing. Hmmm...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Went ahead and added those books to the OP, fixed my omission of parental leave when I mention sick leave, and added Ta-Nehisi Coates's "The Case for Reparations" to the list of recommended Long Pieces.

Considered adding the only other long piece that I remembered off the top of my head (Mac McClelland's "A Visit to the Warehouse of Soul-Crushing Sadness" from Mother Jones) to try to give the two Atlantic pieces some company, but concluded that it didn't really have enough national relevance to justify its presence (even if Nickel and Dimed does), so unless anyone objects or has any suggestions, it's just the two long pieces from The Atlantic for now.

Also, I don't follow political Twitter much myself, so suggestions there are welcome. (Robert Costa, maybe?)

EDIT: If you do make a Twitter suggestion, I'd appreciate it greatly if you included a small blurb about it that I can rework so that the account names aren't just sitting there with no explanation.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 1, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Bruce Bartlett's twitter is pretty funny and I'd recommend following him.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Trollbama strikes again.

Obama wants a one-time tax on the $2 trillion of profits that US companies are hoarding overseas

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

(Credit to Sockser, with apologies to John Rule)

Here Comes Trollbama!

I love how this looks like Onion!DNC2012 Obama.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
14%? Pbbbbt. Tax it at 140%, and if they can't pay up, :fuckoff:, debt bondage. See how those literal monsters like it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

BiggerBoat posted:

You can tell he's running for president because he isn't comparing it to bestiality or incest like most conservatives. Gotta appeal to that mushy middle.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

Just FYI, you guys, Sheila Jackson Lee posted a new photo to Facebook.

USPol February: I posted a new photo to Facebook

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
I'll add a Twitter recommendation for thread favourite Dave Weigel of Bloomberg News, formerly at Slate. Weigel is a keen journalist who is able to score interviews with tons of major GOP players and kingmakers. He does devote an inordinate amount of time to trolling on Twitter, so that may annoy people, but as a resource for important upcoming stories and trends, he's second only to possibly Costa. He is, contrary to popular opinion, not D&D superstar Joementum.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tubgoat posted:

14%? Pbbbbt. Tax it at 140%, and if they can't pay up, :fuckoff:, debt bondage. See how those literal monsters like it.

I gladly offer up my dungeon for some debt bondage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aliquid posted:

I can't hate this man. Every time he smiles, he looks surprised, like he wasn't expecting something to go right.

Not just when he smiles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Not just when he smiles.

"Here we see the politician preparing to extend his dewlap to ward off competitors and appeal to lobbyists"

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

CommieGIR posted:

"Here we see the politician preparing to extend his dewlap to ward off competitors and appeal to lobbyists"

As always, the Onion is way out in front.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
A three-year old shot both of his parents with a single bullet in New Mexico yesterday when he pulled a handgun out of his mother's purse.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

And yet he was seen calmly sipping his milk just 90 seconds later, not even out of breath. What aren't we being told here?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And the girlfriend was pregnant! If he aimed a little lower, he'd have shot one person for each year he's been alive.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

mdemone posted:

And yet he was seen calmly sipping his milk just 90 seconds later, not even out of breath. What aren't we being told here?

He was no angel.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mdemone posted:

What we're not being told, is that if the father had only had a gun of his own, this could all have been prevented. :colbert:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

What we're not being told, is that if the father had only had a gun of his own, this could all have been prevented. :colbert:

I don't know. Kids these days are all proficient killers. What with the video games being murder simulators and all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Christie visited Emirates Stadium in London today, so the NYT talked to some of the other attendees.

quote:

Alerted to Mr. Christie’s reputation for voluble candor as well as his party affiliation, Mr. Rabbett asked his own question. “Has he told that lady from Alaska to shut up?”

No, he was informed. Mr. Christie had not attempted to silence the former governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin. “Well why not?” he inquired.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

DOUBLE-KILL!

I know they didn't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

If only the fetus had a gun.

• Locked thread