Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
On November 2nd, a Mizzou graduate student began a hunger strike in protest of a series of racist incidents that unfolded this fall at the university:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...th-human-feces/

Washington Post[/quote posted:

The swastika appeared overnight, drawn with human feces on a college dorm’s brand new white wall.

But the racial tension had been brewing for months.

Once ranked among the best places to live in America, Columbia has witnessed a flurry of racist incidents in recent months, culminating with the swastika scrawled in excrement on Oct. 24.

Now a graduate student says he is on a hunger strike and is willing to die unless the school’s president steps down.

“My body feels like it’s on fire,” Jonathan L. Butler, 25, told The Washington Post on Thursday night, four days into his one-man protest. “I have pain all over. I’m exhausted. Of course, I’m hungry. I’ve got an ongoing headache.”

Butler said he was just drinking water — no multivitamins, no painkillers — until University of Missouri President Tim Wolfe steps down. Butler and other black students blame Wolfe for what they say is the school’s failure to address the rising tide of racism on campus.

“I already feel like campus is an unlivable space,” said Butler, who is African American. “So it’s worth sacrificing something of this grave amount, because I’m already not wanted here. I’m already not treated like I’m a human.”

Mizzou has its own history of racism. When the university was founded in 1839, Missouri was a slave state. The state capitol was built by slaves and the university also used slave labor. Several of its founders were ardent slavery supporters.

Butler is well aware of this history. He is also aware of an incident in 2010 when cotton balls were strewn around Mizzou’s Black Culture Center because he was an undergrad at the time.

The problems in Columbia began on Sept. 11. That’s when Payton Head, the Missouri Students Association president and an African American, was racially abused as he walked home.

Shortly after midnight on Oct. 5, members of the Legion of Black Collegians (LBC) were in a campus plaza rehearsing for a play the following night when “an inebriated white male” called them “n—–s.”

Then, two weeks later, Mizzou’s racial tensions flared again when someone used their own feces to smear a swastika on a communal bathroom wall in a brand new residence hall. The incident seemed to capture the college’s predicament: each attempt at a fresh start besmirched by old prejudices.

For Butler, the disgusting incident, and the university’s response, was the last straw.

On Nov. 2, he tweeted out a letter announcing that he was going on hunger strike.

“You may or may not know me,” it began. “Since Mr. Wolfe joined the UM system as president in 2012, there have been a slew of racist, sexist, homophobic, etc., incidents that have dynamically disrupted the learning experience for marginalized/underrepresented students at the University of Missouri.”

“The revolting acts that are occurring at Mizzou are a result of a poisonous infestation of apathy that has been spawning from University of Missouri system leadership,” Butler wrote. “Starting today … I will be embarking on an indefinite hunger strike in opposition to Tim Wolfe as the University of Missouri system president. During this hunger strike, I will not consume any food or nutritional sustenance at the expense of my health until either Tim Wolfe is removed from office or my internal organs fail and my life is lost.”

Since November 2nd, other students have joined in the protest, picketing around campus, holding sit-ins, etc. Late last night, the Missouri Tigers football team released a statement, accompanied by a photo of team members linking arms with Butler.

Earlier today, Mizzou coach Gary Pinkel tweeted a photo of the entire football team linking arms, reading "The Mizzou Family stands as one. We are united. We are behind our players."

The Tigers are next scheduled to play BYU on 11/14.

Earlier today, the protesting students (including but not limited to the football players) released a list of demands, which include the resignation of the university President Tim Wolfe:

Wolfe has thus far said he will not resign but will do [some bullshit]. Discussion on Facebook and Twitter has emerged under the hashtag #ConcernedStudent1950, a reference to the year that Mizzou was integrated.

:siren:developing:siren:

Petey fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
[reserved]

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Just going to put this here for more background:

alpha_destroy posted:

I have been debating for days whether or not to post about this in this thread. Everything about the situation at Mizzou is a loving poo poo show at the moment. At the beginning of the semester Mizzou gave graduate students something ridiculous like less than 72 hour notice we were losing our health insurance. Then they tried to take tuition waivers away from grad students working quarter time, which of course, disproportionately harms humanities departments. Then the student body president got called a friend of the family on campus, which the chancellor took something like 6 days to respond to. Then the Legion of Black Collegians got called niggers by a student while they were organizing their homecoming protest. Then the Chancellor ended our relationship with Planned Parenthood that had let med students perform clinical hours at PP and gave PP doctors clinical privileges at the University Hospital, which was the only thing that allowed them to perform abortions in Columbia. Then someone drew a swastika in one of the dorms in feces. Columbia's Yik-Yak right now has a bunch of hilarious jokes like "how do you starve a friend of the family? hide his welfare check under his work boots." I also saw a picture of a monkey being distributed as a picture of Jonathan Butler, the student on the hunger strike. Yesterday, morning djs were debating whether or not they should send Butler Taco Bell. Oh yea! I forgot, the LBC protested the homecoming parade by stepping in front of the president's car. His driver promptly revved his engine continuously and bumped two of the students. Oh ya! and during one of the marches in the wake of the student body president being called a friend of the family some white kid was yelling about how it was a violation of his free speech for the black students to hold a rally in the speaker's circle and not let him blare techno music over them. Anyway, the point is everything about this school is super hosed up right now. I have hope that JB will actually succeed in his hunger strike though. Partially because of this video of our wonderful president supposedly after allowing protesting students to be sprayed with sprinklers. This dude is totally unfit to run a university. There is no way the curators are not forced to face this fact. Hopefully.

Really I just hope JB wins because I want to believe in justice, but also because JB is loving awesome and I don't want him to have to die because my university is loving awful.

Also, separate fight kind of, I mean, this doesn't help JB, but the English department also delivered a 26-0-2 vote of no confidence against the Chancellor earlier this week. poo poo is super hosed at the moment.

Edit: And of course the Missouri state legislature is on the case concerning PP! In response to the student backlash, the state legislature is investigating the relationship Mizzou had with the organization so they can conclude it was super unethical and illegal anyway.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

JRizzle posted:

Just going to put this here for more background:

Thanks! I definitely don't have everything worth reading or knowing in the posts above, but will edit things in to the second post as stuff unfolds, so please keep adding. Here's a visual timeline of many of the issues laid out in the post you quoted.

Petey fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 9, 2015

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Here is a form letter if you're an alum and want to send a message expressing your disapproval for the current administration

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Today, the Graduate Forum for Student Rights called for a 2 day walk-out. This is the second grad student walk-out this year, although the first was only for an hour.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
This is why Gary Pinkel is often called the 2nd best coach in the NCAA.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Hm, so will they forfeit if this isn't settled by Saturday?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

I'd love to but I'm not a Mizzou alum proper, just UM system (Missouri S&T). Good luck to the protestors, I didn't realize how bad it had gotten up at Columbia.

Here's to hoping they dump Wolfe and get an actual good president this time. They've mostly sucked since Floyd left for Wazzu.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
D-D-D-DOUBLE POST

kayakyakr posted:

Hm, so will they forfeit if this isn't settled by Saturday?

Mizzou will have to forfeit and pay BYU $1 million, unless BYU decided to acknowledge it and do some kind of mutual forfeit. Which I'm sure would totally happen. Like, totally.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
How much of this crap is actually the college president's fault and how much is he in the crosshairs because he makes a nice symbolic target?

I'm seriously asking because I didn't know poo poo about Mizzou before this story.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

tranime scholar posted:

I'd love to but I'm not a Mizzou alum proper, just UM system (Missouri S&T). Good luck to the protestors, I didn't realize how bad it had gotten up at Columbia.

Here's to hoping they dump Wolfe and get an actual good president this time. They've mostly sucked since Floyd left for Wazzu.

What up S&T bro! :hfive:

You could easily tweak the letter. I mean, Wolfe is president of the whole system, so he is president over S&T as well.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

How much of this crap is actually the college president's fault and how much is he in the crosshairs because he makes a nice symbolic target?

I'm seriously asking because I didn't know poo poo about Mizzou before this story.

That is an interesting question. Where should the buck stop if not the president? Besides, even if he is not out there causing these problems with malice aforethought, his response has been absolutely shameful. Bumping protesting students. Waiting days/weeks to make statements. Telling protesting students that "systematic oppression is because you don't believe that you have the equal opportunity for success." Even if these events are not his fault, his response has been loving dreadful.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Sounds like he's lovely to grad students and has a conservative viewpoint which also makes him a political target, although if he's really siccing his driver on protesters and trying to run them over then yeah he's probably a dick.

Although I'm not sure why they would expect him to make a grand apology before resigning. Good luck with that one.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 9, 2015

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

tranime scholar posted:

I don't think the black experience at Mizzou is that much different than at a lot of universities, regardless of whether they (the unis) want to believe it. As an alum, I'm happy that Mizzou students and student-athletes are stepping up and doing something about it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I read somewhere that some guy who was a student-athlete there before saw some poo poo he'd rather not talk about, and he supported Wolfe gone, so I'm inclined to think where there's smoke, there's fire. Glad effective protest is happening for once.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's not his fault there is racism on campus, but the guy hasn't done a loving thing about it.

Can also confirm that long rear end post. Life in Columbia is hosed up right now.

The university and president is a dick to students and the Chancellor is a dick to the faculty. Everyone is miserable.

There is an emergency boc meeting scheduled, so president is probably gone really soon.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

How is this happening in like the only liveable city in mid Missouri?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Exactly, mid-Missouri.

alpha_destroy posted:

What up S&T bro! :hfive:

You could easily tweak the letter. I mean, Wolfe is president of the whole system, so he is president over S&T as well.

:respek: Miners

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. I'm really tired of lovely UM system presidents and assorted bullshit like this going on.

Also, I guess this would be the place to ask: is Bowtie a huge rear end in a top hat too? I got the impression that the students liked him but I could be (and probably am :v:) wrong.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Any area not KC or STL is a giant racist wasteland filled with billboards.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I'm a Columbia native, can confirm this is a shitshow. Sure can't wait to have the national media descend on us like a bunch of goddamn vultures.

Wolfe could stop being a selfish rear end in a top hat and just resign, and I hope he does. If Butler dies from this hunger strike things are gonna be ugly as gently caress

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
The billboards along I-70 from St. Louis to Columbia are some hilarious and sad poo poo. You haven't lived till you've seen anti-evolution billboards.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

tranime scholar posted:

The billboards along I-70 from St. Louis to Columbia are some hilarious and sad poo poo. You haven't lived till you've seen anti-evolution billboards.

God's said many a thing to me via billboard on my drives between Austin and Lubbock.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

tranime scholar posted:

The billboards are the best part about driving in Missouri.

Pinkel cancelled all practices until this is resolved.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

kayakyakr posted:

God's said many a thing to me via billboard on my drives between Austin and Lubbock.

Like I've seen tons of goofy religious poo poo on billboards but there's something extra funny to me about someone spending a bunch of money to put gently caress SCIENCE signs along a highway.

I kind of like the 6 in a row owned by the university that go M-I-Z-Z-O-U though. :shobon:

Piggles
Oct 10, 2006

Wilson with the Hail Mary to Tate!

Feranon posted:

I'm a Columbia native, can confirm this is a shitshow. Sure can't wait to have the national media descend on us like a bunch of goddamn vultures.

Wolfe could stop being a selfish rear end in a top hat and just resign, and I hope he does. If Butler dies from this hunger strike things are gonna be ugly as gently caress

He'll pass out and the EMTs and doctors are required to save his life.

He'll be fine but it's still jarring enough that it should warrant action.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

tranime scholar posted:

Yeah works the same way the second you leave the suburbs of Pittsburgh and go straight into the wasteland known as Pennsyltucky

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Feranon posted:

I think I'd save my hunger strike for a bit higher stakes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tranime scholar posted:

You haven't lived until you've seen them in Oregon.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Frackie Robinson posted:

I think I'd save my hunger strike for a bit higher stakes.

Yeah and I think the football team's boycott would be more effective on a year they weren't a loving joke. :shrug: Gotta do what you gotta do I guess

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm a little confused also. I read all the stuff in the first 3 posts and am unsure what the President did(only about the racism, not the health insurance for grad students or planned parenthood or any of that). Like the swastika in the bathroom...did he just not condemn it? Or a single "inebriated white male" yelling racial slurs...same thing? Taking too long to make a statement? Or is there more to it than that? I guess his driver revving an engine at a protester is directly his fault, but what else regarding the racism is actually his fault? I'm just curious if there is more to it than a slow response. Based on the post J rizzle posted he sounds like he probably should not be in charge anyway. If he was in charge of my University I'd be happy enough to see him go just based on the Jrizzle post.

Was it like this at Mizzou before? The guy going on the hunger strike makes a statement which reads like this didn't happen before this guy was president, which I doubt it true.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm going to hunger strike until Valve gives us some straight answers about Half Life 3

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sounds to me like he's targeting humanities programs/grad students for budget cuts and holds conservative viewpoints so they're using racism as an excuse to try and get rid of the guy. Here is a vid of the car thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zwnmlzZSQ

Not real sure what to make of that.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

alpha_destroy posted:

That is an interesting question. Where should the buck stop if not the president? Besides, even if he is not out there causing these problems with malice aforethought, his response has been absolutely shameful. Bumping protesting students. Waiting days/weeks to make statements. Telling protesting students that "systematic oppression is because you don't believe that you have the equal opportunity for success." Even if these events are not his fault, his response has been loving dreadful.

What happens after he resigns, though? From the statements, it sounds like there's been earnest movement for mandatory campus sensitivity training, and that sounds like it'll happen with or without Wolfe at the helm, so hopefully that'll curb some incidents, but if it's the town proper and its non-student residents driving around hurling slurs, this doesn't seem all that productive

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

computer parts posted:

You haven't lived until you've seen them in Oregon.

I'm sort of jealous of states that ban them. The Ozarks are too beautiful to ruin with a bunch of bail bonds billboards or whatever the gently caress.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ribsauce posted:

I'm a little confused also. I read all the stuff in the first 3 posts and am unsure what the President did(only about the racism, not the health insurance for grad students or planned parenthood or any of that). Like the swastika in the bathroom...did he just not condemn it? Or a single "inebriated white male" yelling racial slurs...same thing? Taking too long to make a statement? Or is there more to it than that? I guess his driver revving an engine at a protester is directly his fault, but what else regarding the racism is actually his fault? I'm just curious if there is more to it than a slow response. Based on the post J rizzle posted he sounds like he probably should not be in charge anyway. If he was in charge of my University I'd be happy enough to see him go just based on the Jrizzle post.

Was it like this at Mizzou before? The guy going on the hunger strike makes a statement which reads like this didn't happen before this guy was president, which I doubt it true.

"26.4 percent of People of Color reported experiences of harassment on campus. The reports occurred at a rate higher than statistically predicted as due to chance."
https://diversity.missouri.edu/about/climate/

Going to crosspost some context from the D&D thread:

quote:

Unlike it's more sophisticated (but no less evil) cousin Washington University in St. Louis, the people who run the UM system are too loving stupid to comprehend how a R1 university should be run and how to even say the right things when stuff like racial tension blows up on campus.

When Ferguson riots happened last year Washu's chancellor immediately made a public statement supporting black lives matter and accusing the St. Louis area of being massively racist. Up until this year all levels of UM administration have denied that racism exists in Missouri, even going so far as to call the incidents that occurred when I was around (09-12) like the cotton ball and the first swastika graffiti incident "bias crimes." Watching these shitbirds flail and attempt to do damage control is like watching the GOP attempting to talk to minorities.

That diversity course requirement has been proposed since 1990 and shot down until now. They only acted on it within the past month or so due to a sit-in protest at Jesse Hall and loud protests in the main student center in front of everyone, including prospective students.

opt
Oct 10, 2007

tranime scholar posted:

Exactly, mid-Missouri.

:respek: Miners

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. I'm really tired of lovely UM system presidents and assorted bullshit like this going on.

Also, I guess this would be the place to ask: is Bowtie a huge rear end in a top hat too? I got the impression that the students liked him but I could be (and probably am :v:) wrong.

Wife works for the former graduate school, Bowtie is a colossal shithead and did his best to throw the graduate school under the bus on the health care thing even though the email detailing what was going down sat in the provost's inbox for over a month before anything was done about it. Also, look for a letter with a bunch of tenured faculty's signatures calling for his resignation in the near future.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

As an example of a previous President, here's a piece about Elson Floyd: http://digmo-01.missouri.edu/a/89465/the-floyd-factor/

Granted, he had a lot of problems, but his interactions with students were a lot better.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Peven Stan posted:

Washington University St Louis

Just curious why Washington University is no less evil... Almost wound up going there if it wasn't for out of state tuition (TTU, UT, Washington University in St. Louis, and Colorado School of Mines were really the only schools I did any research into. TTU won out pretty early in that process.)

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm going to hunger strike until Valve gives us some straight answers about Half Life 3

youre gonna loving die dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

opt posted:

Wife works for the former graduate school, Bowtie is a colossal shithead and did his best to throw the graduate school under the bus on the health care thing even though the email detailing what was going down sat in the provost's inbox for over a month before anything was done about it. Also, look for a letter with a bunch of tenured faculty's signatures calling for his resignation in the near future.

Oh, he's the one responsible for the grad student benefits fiasco? Yeah, gently caress him then.

Mike_V posted:

As an example of a previous President, here's a piece about Elson Floyd: http://digmo-01.missouri.edu/a/89465/the-floyd-factor/

Granted, he had a lot of problems, but his interactions with students were a lot better.

Floyd was the last good president of the UM system. Probably because he actually cared and wasn't just some empty suit corporate shithead like Forsee and Wolfe are.

• Locked thread