Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Creed is a 2015 American sports drama film, written and directed by Ryan Coogler, co-written by Aaron Covington, and produced by Robert Chartoff, Irwin Winkler, and Sylvester Stallone. The film stars Michael B. Jordan as Adonis Johnson Creed, Apollo's son.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv554B7YHk4

The director is Ryan Coogler who did Fruitvale Station.

Ever since seeing the trailer I've been waiting for this. I haven't had a chance to pull away from Holiday stuff to catch it, but so far I've heard nothing but praise for this, even hearing that Stallone puts in a great performance.

For those that have seen it let us know what you thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Angel posted:

After the release of Fruitvale Station, director Ryan Coogler noted that even critical discussions that praised the film focused almost exclusively on its content at the expense of its form.That's certainly a failing that I was guilty of in my own immediate reactions to Fruitvale, so for his follow-up, Creed, I tried my best to pay attention to what Coogler was doing formally. Thankfully, he makes it easy as hell! The chief visual motif of the film is bold straight lines framing characters as a way of conveying the apparent inevitability of purpose and personal fulfillment. Coogler gets a lot of mileage out of that motif.

As an example, when Rocky is giving the "the guy in the mirror is the toughest opponent you're ever gonna face" monologue to Donnie Creed, Donnie is framed with a pillar behind and just to the left of him, so that when Rocky points purposefully at Donnie in the mirror, he's going on to point at the pillar and thus at the idea that Donnie's greatest challenge will be grappling with the idea that fighting is his singular destiny. Or maybe it's not, as when Donnie and Bianca share a tender moment through the vector of a pair of earbuds, one of the few crooked lines in the film.

Note that at least one of the bold straight lines that comprise the motif definitely represents Donnie Creed's dick. Another of these lines is the missile train from Skyfall. It's a fun as hell movie like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is Drago in it?

If not why was it made?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is a very good movie, and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given the people involved and also that Rocky Balboa was really good too, but still it's impressive.

That scene of Rocky at the cemetery worked especially well for me. It's like, he's adjusted as well as one can expect to the inevitability of people you love dying, and just happening to be the one who's left.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Creed absolutely blew me away. I have never seen a director go so hard in a while. There are so many scenes to talk about. (The jogging scene with the dirt bikers.) (The English boxers entrance) every scene meant something, the editing was on point, every character was good and never overstayed their welcome. Even the music was fantastic. It's an instant classic for me.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I absolutely loved it. I didn't feel like they wasted a minute of the runtime, it was all very useful to the overall plot. It would be cool to see this get any attention during award season but I can't see it happening.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was never huge into Rocky but this was really, really good.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This is the first movie in the series since Rocky that I would call a great film. Rocky Balboa was a good conclusion to Rocky's story, and Creed was a perfect transition to a new series (which seems inevitable now).

With that said, I'm not sure a sequel would excite me too much. I love all these movies because I'm so attached to the Rocky character. This movie had plenty of Rocky in it, so much that it almost could have been called Rocky 7. I doubt any future sequels will have much attachment to that series, though. And that's probably for the best.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This was very good and maybe the best of the Rocky sequels. Very well shot and that first fight being one take was amazing. Everything with Adonis and Rocky was fantastic.

I kinda hope there aren't anymore sequels though because Rocky would have to die in one of them and I'm not sure I could take that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
One detail I loved about this film was how every shot leading to the big fight had old Apollo creed iconography in the background. Posters and paintings all that as if Apollo's legacy was following him the whole way.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I thought Stallone was doing another Rambo?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Immortan posted:

Hasn't been much word on "Last Blood" for a while now. It was reported he was going to fight ISIS, then it was reported that was stupid and not happening. No real info about it has been released, but I would expect that to be Stallone's next movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The transition of styles in this movie is really impressive. The visuals, music, etc. all call back to the Rocky series while also folding in the look of modern sports and rap and R&B and of course Adonis has his own theme, etc. There's some subtle stuff there like how the "love theme" from Rocky is played in the graveyard scene.

Also liked the display graphics of all the fighters and their records.

It really is how a "spin off" should be done.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The transition of styles in this movie is really impressive. The visuals, music, etc. all call back to the Rocky series while also folding in the look of modern sports and rap and R&B and of course Adonis has his own theme, etc. There's some subtle stuff there like how the "love theme" from Rocky is played in the graveyard scene.

Also liked the display graphics of all the fighters and their records.

It really is how a "spin off" should be done.

The film perfectly lines up with the theme of paying homage while creating your own legacy. I really can't praise this movie enough.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

This was very good and maybe the best of the Rocky sequels. Very well shot and that first fight being one take was amazing. Everything with Adonis and Rocky was fantastic.

I kinda hope there aren't anymore sequels though because Rocky would have to die in one of them and I'm not sure I could take that.

He very nearly died at the end of Rocky V. Stallone changing the ending felt like a copout at the time but in hindsight it was a great move, since Rocky Balboa and (apparently) Creed are top notch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just got the early morning show of this and it was loving fantastic. Really well done all around.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kingtheninja posted:

Hasn't been much word on "Last Blood" for a while now. It was reported he was going to fight ISIS, then it was reported that was stupid and not happening. No real info about it has been released, but I would expect that to be Stallone's next movie.

There's been so many rumors of the plot of it that it's ridiculous. First it was going to be Rambo saving his daughter from cultists, then fighting cartels in Mexico, then Rambo fighting some scifi monster to now ISIS.

Whatever it is (hopefully all of the above), if its over the top violent like 4 was, I'll see it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
drat, Coogler crushed this. I went in with high expectations, and was still wowed by it.

Would love to see him get a Best Director nod.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to catching this. I've never been a fan of Rocky, but this looks like a sequel that isn't totally forced and some kind of cheap cash-in. An intriguing premise, good looking cinematic style and a Wire alumn. Color me excited.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed it. That second (?) fight was amazing. I'm not sure if it was one take or not, but drat it felt visceral.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is the band Creed, famous for their hit single Higher, in this movie? I have to know if the band Creed, famous for their hit single Higher, is in this movie before I rush out to see it in my sick Creed (famous for their hit single Higher) shirt and play the album Human Clay by the band Creed (famous for their hit single Higher) in my F-150 with a Creed (famous for their hit single Higher) vinyl wrap on it all the way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is the band Creed, famous for their hit single Higher, in this movie? I have to know if the band Creed, famous for their hit single Higher, is in this movie before I rush out to see it in my sick Creed (famous for their hit single Higher) shirt and play the album Human Clay by the band Creed (famous for their hit single Higher) in my F-150 with a Creed (famous for their hit single Higher) vinyl wrap on it all the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP9pzB10gMY

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's been so many rumors of the plot of it that it's ridiculous. First it was going to be Rambo saving his daughter from cultists, then fighting cartels in Mexico, then Rambo fighting some scifi monster to now ISIS.

Whatever it is (hopefully all of the above), if its over the top violent like 4 was, I'll see it.

I hope it's the storyline involving the drug cartels. Imagine Sicario with Rambo. :smug:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMiBBFd0G6c

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I loved the little details like the names on the trunks. Moving away from the past of Johnson in the back and towards the destiny of Creed in the front.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'll echo others here and say this movie was loving awesome. I saw it on Thursday night and whoever said it was the perfect blend of paying homage to the other Rocky films while moving forward to another chapter in the series hit it dead on.

Two things:

1. The first fight scene against the kid from his gym (sort of feel stupid because I forget his name) was *so.loving.good*. It was done (or appeared to be done) in one take and was easily the most realistic fight scene I've ever seen in a boxing movie. I love the Rocky series but as you guys can tell most of the boxing match scenes, while exciting, are really loving unrealistic (even the final fight in this film fits that mold) so it was nice to see something different.

2. I've lived in Philadelphia, spent countless weekends visiting friends at Temple University, and currently go there a few times a years to visit friends who live there...and I've gotta say no film has really nailed what the city is really like quite like Creed. From the jokes about the lingo Philadelphians use to the dirtbike kids (take a drive around North Philly and you'll see them) it was awesome to see the city accurately portrayed. Also the crowd booed when it showed the shot of that bridge with EAGLES written on it.

Great movie. Great soundtrack. Coogler, Stallone, and Jordan all killed it. I'm even going to see it a second time this weekend with some friends who weren't able to go Thanksgiving night.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cool interview with MBJ talking about Creed, F4, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Pmr82TT0c

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want to see this movie. I enjoy all the Rocky films in their own particular way, except of course V which nobody really likes. At first I was wary when I heard they were making another film in the franchise, as I thought Balboa was a solid conclusion, but this seems to be getting all kinds of great reviews. I don't think I'd want to see a Creed movie without Stallone in it, though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

exquisite tea posted:

I want to see this movie. I enjoy all the Rocky films in their own particular way, except of course V which nobody really likes. At first I was wary when I heard they were making another film in the franchise, as I thought Balboa was a solid conclusion, but this seems to be getting all kinds of great reviews. I don't think I'd want to see a Creed movie without Stallone in it, though.

Honestly I thought that too until after I finished Creed then I thought gently caress it I'll watch some creed sequels.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Definitely going to see this. I have just one essential question.

How good are the training montages?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Really good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
No Survivor though.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Yeah, I was stunned by it. It's a movie that has almost everything. Compelling relationships, really interesting characters, stunning action/set pieces, a million montages (there are so drat many) and a bunch of really cool themes running through the story.

Edit:

Hunterhr posted:

Definitely going to see this. I have just one essential question.

How good are the training montages?

They are fantastic and there are a lot of them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Immortan posted:

Kingtheninja posted:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now it's going to be a TV show:

http://time.com/4131913/rambo-tv-series-fox-sylvester-stallone/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
One thing I really appreciated about this film was the absolutely bonkers bombastic score. If you blast horns and pound drums while a guy trains for something I'm totally in. That literally works on me every time.

The choir was a nice reference to Conti, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

One thing I really appreciated about this film was the absolutely bonkers bombastic score. If you blast horns and pound drums while a guy trains for something I'm totally in. That literally works on me every time.

The choir was a nice reference to Conti, too.

I was legitimately surprised to see that Conti had nothing to do with the score for this one (apart from some of his work being quoted.)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was legitimately surprised to see that Conti had nothing to do with the score for this one (apart from some of his work being quoted.)

Yeah, I knew Ludwig Gorannson was good; he did great (if nearly invisible) work on Community, and has been a reliable composer altogether -- but Jesus Christ I didn't realize he was this good. He scored this fucker like he's been waiting his whole life to do it. He scored it like he just spent a week in the hospital waiting for his wife to wake up from a coma, and when she finally did, her first word to him was "Win."

There was no way he was going to match Conti's work in terms of iconography, but it's impossible to not respect the effort.

I can't be measured and smart in my response to this movie, this was just awe-inspiring.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I like how hard Tessa Thompson's character's musical style is cribbing from fka Twigs.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I like how hard Tessa Thompson's character's musical style is cribbing from fka Twigs.

It was also good in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just got back from this- holy poo poo is it good. That it somehow works as both a continuation of the Rocky franchise as well as a kind of thematic sequel to Fruitvale Station while being utterly true to both is astounding.

• Locked thread