Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Y'know, call some friends, have a sign made, normal protest stuff. Not Red Dawn.

I can only think of a couple of things, though I'm sure there are others that just don't come to mind at the moment.

Shuttering media outlets critical of the presidency, overturning Roe v. Wade and any egregious violations of the fourth amendment would definitely be on the list.

Also, selling the entire national park system. Which is something the Sierra Club is worried about, though I'm not sure how likely that is to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
99% of protests are ineffective and stupid, regardless of political affiliation.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Drone striking weddings. It's bad when he does it.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
That's a good question to ask, and I think good for people to think about. I don't think I would ever join a "normal" protest. Friends? Signs? Chanting on the street? I can't think of a "small" reason. All the "big reasons" like the government re-instituting slavery, actively dismantling secularism, dismantling health care in my province, et cetera, would be better served by more radical action outside of the scope of normal protesting. Or by putting effort into moving to a better place.

Peaceful, sign-waving protests are ineffective self-gratification. I think they might actually hurt causes by diverting energy from useful activity.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My friends and family are in danger of being assaulted, tortured, and murdered. I'm ready to march.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Transportation.

pesty13480 posted:

That's a good question to ask, and I think good for people to think about. I don't think I would ever join a "normal" protest. Friends? Signs? Chanting on the street? I can't think of a "small" reason. All the "big reasons" like the government re-instituting slavery, actively dismantling secularism, dismantling health care in my province, et cetera, would be better served by more radical action outside of the scope of normal protesting.

So since all of these things are ongoing problems right now in America I take it you support, what, terrorist actions in America right now? But not protesting, got it.

pesty13480 posted:

Or by putting effort into moving to a better place.

Peaceful, sign-waving protests are ineffective self-gratification. I think they might actually hurt causes by diverting energy from useful activity.

Ah, the "love it or leave it" cop out. The main takeaway though, seems to be protesting is bad.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Protest in the streets? Been there done that, poo poo is dumb.

Now shitposting online...

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I live in Chicago. Plenty of people I know already have hit the streets, especially POC and LGBT folks. I would go myself if I thought protesting would accomplish anything at this stage. Right now it's just about catharsis for the people protesting - which to be clear I have no problem with, it's just not my jam.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Sharkie posted:

Transportation.

I guess the top four things I've witnessed in recent years:

1. Repeatedly shutting down the bridges into the downtown core of my city (native protests).
2. Safely getting parts of the freight system shut down via threats and blockades (native protests).
3. Interrupting tourist-heavy events during a big festival season (student protests).
4. Garbage fires in "safe" places.

(city and garbage collectors had an issue a while back - some people started setting fires in the garbage piles, which got the city real keen to negotiate).

Something that hurt more than helped:
Protestors doing noise-making demonstrations in the early morning, through residential areas, to annoy everyone.

I would not call that normal protesting though. For that, I just see people standing in designated corners being easily ignored and easily forgotten. What I listed are the most more useful types of activity that actually drove change in some scenarios. The point is, that type of stuff heavily disrupted the local economy and drove our landed business interests absolutely insane. Politicians do not care about the common person or common protestor, but they do care when the people who make the big campaign donations are screaming in anger.

Edit: These things I think are a nice step between worthless protesting and full Red Dawn power fantasy.

pesty13480 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 13, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Yknow, we have a variety of perspectives on this very topic in a thread half a page down on this forum, and it'd be great to have more people join in on the conversation.

As for me, I could say that it's about showing solidarity with those that have been demonized by Trump's rhetoric and to tell them that the entire country doesn't hate them and that they aren't alone. I could also say it's about trying to build momentum for an actual leftist political force in the United States. But really, the thing that got me on the streets was that I saw that some people weren't going to take this horrendous poo poo sitting down, and decided that I had to stand the gently caress up with them. A feeling of resolve beats a feeling of despair any day, and its probably more productive as well.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pesty13480 posted:

I guess the top four things I've witnessed in recent years:

1. Repeatedly shutting down the bridges into the downtown core of my city (native protests).
2. Safely getting parts of the freight system shut down via threats and blockades (native protests).
3. Interrupting tourist-heavy events during a big festival season (student protests).

These are all things protestors are doing right now, so...I'm glad you like protests and think they're good?

A big flaming stink posted:

Yknow, we have a variety of perspectives on this very topic in a thread half a page down on this forum, and it'd be great to have more people join in on the conversation.

As for me, I could say that it's about showing solidarity with those that have been demonized by Trump's rhetoric and to tell them that the entire country doesn't hate them and that they aren't alone. I could also say it's about trying to build momentum for an actual leftist political force in the United States. But really, the thing that got me on the streets was that I saw that some people weren't going to take this horrendous poo poo sitting down, and decided that I had to stand the gently caress up with them. A feeling of resolve beats a feeling of despair any day, and its probably more productive as well.

Yes to all this as well, which is why I look askance at armchair generals tut-tutting protestors who don't follow their playbook.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 13, 2016

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I'm gonna protest white men who don't show solidarity with minorities and women while President Trump openly supports Israeli settlements and tears up the one deal that could save the middle east from being engulfed in nuclear fire.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

All the anti trump protestors sure are going to justify giving the Police a good shining up.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Maybe I'd protest more if I didn't have to drive for ages to do it. American sprawl sucks.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
This.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/11/20/donald-trump-says-hed-absolutely-require-muslims-to-register/

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Literally nothing. It's a binary 'Business As Usual'/'Red Dawn' for me!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mercrom posted:

I'm gonna protest white men who don't show solidarity with minorities and women while President Trump openly supports Israeli settlements and tears up the one deal that could save the middle east from being engulfed in nuclear fire.

Ok let us know how that works out for you.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
50/50 odds of getting laid off it.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Revolution baby!

Mulva posted:

50/50 odds of getting laid off it.

Also this.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

99% of protests are ineffective and stupid, regardless of political affiliation.

Protests imitate life.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think if they start rounding up minorities into concentration camps I'd join an underground resistance movement or at least try to provide covert aid and shelter to minorities.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think if they start rounding up minorities into concentration camps I'd join an underground resistance movement or at least try to provide covert aid and shelter to minorities.

Might wanna edit this post when that happens.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
When other measures have failed and/or there's a legitimate chance that protesting will accomplish a clear goal.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Vladimir Putin posted:

I say this too now but really it will depend on what's on tv.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I'll start marching when marching actually works. So never. After the no-brakes fail train that was the 2003 Iraq war protests that didn't stop anything, OWS probably came the closest to success in recent history and inserted the 99% meme into the public consciousness. And that's all it ultimately accomplished. Bernie (and Hillary) didn't get elected and any minimal concessions Obama made to them are going to get rolled back by our new God-Emperor.

If you seriously think protests work, I've got some Indian reservation land in North Dakota to sell you come January.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll protest if people try to overturn the results of a democratic free election in a western country.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'll start marching when marching actually works. So never. After the no-brakes fail train that was the 2003 Iraq war protests that didn't stop anything, OWS probably came the closest to success in recent history and inserted the 99% meme into the public consciousness. And that's all it ultimately accomplished. Bernie (and Hillary) didn't get elected and any minimal concessions Obama made to them are going to get rolled back by our new God-Emperor.

If you seriously think protests work, I've got some Indian reservation land in North Dakota to sell you come January.

Black Lives Matter would like to have a word with you. Police departments all around the country have been reorganizing themselves in response, introducing new training for officers. Police chiefs have been fired and replaced in different cities directly because of protests, and public opinion and awareness of racial issues has shifted dramatically in just the span of one year according to polls. Just bringing racial issues to mainstream attention is important. It's had an impact on things like funding for private prisons. It had a big impact on the election. BLM leaders met with Clinton and Sanders and had an impact on their platforms. Trump winning is obviously a major setback but that doesn't mean it was all for nothing.

Just getting out on the streets and making your opinions known has an impact. Protesting has more of an impact on real, actual policy than just about anything you can do aside from voting. History is filled with examples of protests having dramatic impact and freaking the gently caress out of world leaders, sometimes toppling governments in the process. Nixon was scared shitless by protesters in his administration. Bashar al-Assad was reportedly hyperventilating in his office and unable to think straight during the initial protests against him in Syria. It's one of the reasons he cracked down so hard and started killing people.

Trump has already said he wants to spend a lot of time at Trump Tower instead of the White House during his administration. During his campaign, he would fly back to New York every night so he could sleep in his own bed. He's a big baby with a fragile ego and he's gonna be spending a lot of time in his golden palace at the top of a huge tower in a city that hates his guts when he's president. You don't think protesters are going to get under his skin?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
If it turns out that the Russians actually managed to sway the election. That'll do it for me.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/12/politics/florida-election-hack/index.html

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Strikes would probably be a better idea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Protest is important if only to show those in power that their positions are not popular. It's also important to show oppressed people that they aren't alone and that there are people who are on their side and support them.

With Trump specifically it's important to protest because he's promised to do a lot of horrible things and the longer we wait to mount opposition to those things the more of them he'll get done. The goal isn't so much to force direct or immediate change as to try to demonstrate enough popular opposition to peel away a few senators from supporting his agenda.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
A lot. Modern protests in America are pretty ineffectual because they are:
  • not well-organized, usually
  • are aimless - they basically amount to a lot of people (or, often, not a lot of people) committing mass-jaywalking for a few hours until it's time for bed
  • have a bunch of stupid signs - no one cares about your sick burns on a placard
  • are always portrayed negatively by the media - this isn't the protestors fault, and also it doesn't matter what the media says about anything, but I thought I'd mention it
  • everyone who goes to one is dressed like a loving stoner - you know what would really terrify people and make them listen to you? show up en masse to a protest with a clean shave and sporting a suit and tie or at least biz-casual
  • usually not very many people are actually there - a few hundred protestors is not a lot unless the city you're protesting in has one stoplight
Fix most of these things and sure, I will join.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The only protest movements in the last however many years I have any respect for are OWS and BLM. BLM scares the poo poo out the establishment and you can see that in the way it's portrayed in the mass media. The elites actually give a poo poo about BLM - of course they're not going to make moves to stop murdering black people, quite the opposite in fact, but they are rather vexed by the prospect of a renewed black nationalism. This is good.

OWS was great until Wall Street figured out they weren't actually going to do anything. Then no one gave a poo poo anymore. Some banker jackass even called a bunch of them monkeys to their faces and laughed at them on television, and gently caress-all happened. Maybe if that dude had gotten glassed instead we'd have Full Communism now, but them's the breaks :shrug: Still, good stuff can be traced back to OWS even if the movement itself fizzled.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well I've been in the streets for BLM protests so I guess the answer is the continued unaccountable killing of POC by paramilitary groups paid with my tax dollars and supposedly charged with protecting me and my neighbors.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I've done it, back when I was dumb and leftist and a student. I protested nothing to virtue-signal my non-disapproval of homosexuality. As an intended result, I had heterosexual sex with a woman after protesting.

These days, I'd need hunger and an identifiable antagonist. Barring that, maybe some real atrocity, or the promise of sex. Cozy 40-year old lawyer that I am, that's hard. I'd probably go get shot by POUM factionalism in Spain to fight Franco. There's just nothing compelling in the US to warrant it. As excited as people here get about politics, it's Dullsville.

Black Lives Matter? Of course they do. It's not even up for discussion. So stop killing each other, and come join the black people I hang out with.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 13, 2016

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
They'd have to be well organized and not turn into riots

Judging by the riots in Portland, I'd say the current protests aren't doing a good job of that so I'll avoid them

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
On a related note, are there any protips for knowing who's gonna start poo poo at a protest? Short of showing up with a baseball bat, I mean.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well I've been in the streets for BLM protests so I guess the answer is the continued unaccountable killing of POC by paramilitary groups paid with my tax dollars and supposedly charged with protecting me and my neighbors.

The police have no obligation and are beholden to no expectation of keeping you safe.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PerrineClostermann posted:

The police have no obligation and are beholden to no expectation of keeping you safe.

Legally, no.
But that's not really the point, is it?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
After the Tamir Rice shooting happened, I resolved that if the shooter was acquitted I would join any protests afterwards (I'm in Cleveland). Lo and behold, the night the acquittal happened I went downtown ASAP and didn't see poo poo. I scoured social media for anything being planned, and found that a few dozen people had marched to the shoreway (major freeway used by commuters), blocked it for ten or so minutes, and had already been dispersed. Nothing else. gently caress this city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Protest in the streets
Crackdown in the sheets

• Locked thread