Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck the mods
Mar 30, 2015
So for years we've all had to listen to teens/man-children in lovely japanese hatchbacks justify various aspects of their poo poo mobile, and one of the more common aspects sperged over was automatic vs manual transmission. Now if you have car aspergers then I understand you cannot help it, but many of these types are really just poors. Fact: my automatic transmission shifts faster than your manual transmission and gets better gas mileage. Another fact is even if I want to "feel in control" (another common justification used by poors) by choosing my own bespoke artisinal gear I still have manual electronic shifting available which is also faster than your manual transmission. If you're driving a manual transmission and don't have car aspergers you're either a poor, an idiot, or both - to these people I would suggest getting a better job once you move out of the city you grew up in so you can afford a real car with an 8+ speed automatic transmission only. In closing: manual transmissions are the fixie bikes of the car world - bought by people on the spectrum or by non-self-aware poors. Thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b04YW3r5xhg

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i ride a horse :horse:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

gently caress the mods posted:

So for years we've all had to listen to teens/man-children in lovely japanese hatchbacks justify various aspects of their poo poo mobile, and one of the more common aspects sperged over was automatic vs manual transmission. Now if you have car aspergers then I understand you cannot help it, but many of these types are really just poors. Fact: my automatic transmission shifts faster than your manual transmission and gets better gas mileage. Another fact is even if I want to "feel in control" (another common justification used by poors) by choosing my own bespoke artisinal gear I still have manual electronic shifting available which is also faster than your manual transmission. If you're driving a manual transmission and don't have car aspergers you're either a poor, an idiot, or both - to these people I would suggest getting a better job once you move out of the city you grew up in so you can afford a real car with an 8+ speed automatic transmission only. In closing: manual transmissions are the fixie bikes of the car world - bought by people on the spectrum or by non-self-aware poors. Thank you for your time.

Troll better

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Manual transmissions are for enthusiasts.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
OP will car shift the instant you tell it when in 'manual' mode? I've only driven a few cars with 'manual' mode but each one seemed to only take the +/- as a suggestion rather than an immediate command.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C7qjmHvmTc

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Automatics were made because the general populus are too loving stupid to drive a car, but sales are more important than safety. So now every idiot like OP can slam into a wall going 90+.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
I must have add or something because I cannot pay attention and drive unless i'm driving a manual.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
ehh...
2/10

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Automatics were made because the general populus are too loving stupid to drive a car, but sales are more important than safety. So now every idiot like OP can slam into a wall going 90+.

my transmission purity :qq:

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Seriousposting but I have a manual and I don't love it because it adds literally nothing to my driving experience and is a pain in stop and go traffic.

Hill starting, parking, everything is more of a pain in the rear end with a manual.

Only advantage is now I could rent/drive any car worldwide and I get a bit more getup and go from my car's tiny engine.

That and people who don't know how to drive a manual are sorta impressed and everyone wants me to teach them how to drive a stick as if I'm going to do that...

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

gently caress the mods posted:

this is a poo poo post, and is factually false.

manual transmissions typically get better gas mileage, idiot

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

bradzilla posted:

my transmission purity :qq:

Automatics are faster but allow people like yourself to run over children in any neighborhood across the continental united states.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Where is the fun in driving an automatic???

Shifting gears is part of the experience, imo.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i would only drive a manual if the gears were voice controlled

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
carspergers

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
It's true I am poor and drive manual. I want to have more money but I just dont. Sorry.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I refuse to learn stick because automatic is clearly better but there's no reason to be a jackass about it. manual drivers are big enough jackasses already we should be the better people.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I'm gonna shift even more gears because of your post, OP. With my hand and my arm and my wrist. Now go cry about it :smug:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I learned to drive manual because of my collection of vintage Ferraris

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Op is missing the #1 diff between automatic and manual. Driving a manual makes you about 1300% cooler. Its real fuckin cool. Yeah its somewhat of a pain in the rear end but so are most really fuckign cool things.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah, you got a manual in there? not bad, not bad... oh, me? just a little thing called a CVT - you probably haven't heard of it :smuggo:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only people I've seen drive manuals are alcoholics who beat their wives

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I can't drive manual because of my poor motor skills and coordination

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

I've gotten manuals in the past out of smug superiority. I'm getting sick of it and am gonna transition to automatic with my next car.

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

When I lived in the DC area I drove to work one time and must have shifted over a thousand times. I rued the day I got a stick shift that day. Now in the suburbs or rural areas they're not too bad I guess

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Ride The Gravitron posted:

The only people I've seen drive manuals are alcoholics who beat their wives

Europeans mostly.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
not being able to drive stick is absurdly pathetic, that said automatic today is objectively better

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i get 32 miles a gallon. :grin:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

afeelgoodpoop posted:

You can push 80 in a small-to-normal sized European petrol driven car, and it is a shame US car makers don't use the technology they already have and use in Europe over in the States, imo.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

downshifting to second to brake is so loving satisfying i could never drive automatic again

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stick Shifters Supported Trump.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
lol at people saying they couldn't learn it itt. if you have two working legs and play videogames you are primed to be able to do it.

*main hobby scientifically shown to increases concentration ability aswell as mindfullness of possible actions* No! I don't want that!

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

afeelgoodpoop posted:

My CVT gets 40mpg. :smug:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Automatics are faster but allow people like yourself to run over children in any neighborhood across the continental united states.

haha yeah if you drive an automatic you're automatically more dangerous :grin:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
here's a clutch protip - in neutral, just slam the pedal all the way down, then shift right into fifth gear and off you go!

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

My CVT gets 40mpg. :smug:

have fun replacing it at 80000.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
this thread really grinds my gears!!!!!

:downsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
Manual is fun, probably even more fun if you have a sweet/fast ride.

• Locked thread