Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Heya'. I'm Joe, and I've been a goon for fourteen years.

Watching the culture war play out on the internet has been a fascinating journey for me. On one side is a crowd of people tired of being told that almost everything they've ever loved is actually super lovely for society. The other? The crowd pointing out that maybe it wasn't so great that A Christmas Story had that scene all about funny accents. Or worse, implying that anybody who likes a thing that has problems is a lovely person.

Like most people who suddenly discovered that a lot of our culture is pretty hosed up, and that most people don't want to talk about it, I became super insufferable about it pretty much right away. There's nobody more zealous than the recently converted. My dad also had cancer and was dying at the time, and then, y'know, died, so I wasn't exactly particularly mentally stable at the time.

For evidence, see anything I said on Something Awful from 2013 to 2015. And maybe bleed over some months, because my memory isn't so good.

Now I wasn't banned, but after being, again, entirely insufferable about this, it was made very clear to me that my talking points weren't welcome, and I decided to bugger off for a while, crystallize my thoughts, and instead of continuing to accidentally ruin every thread that interested me, I would try to make something.

The result? People reviewing media (primarily movies) on a couch with an eye on civil rights and social issues.

I called it Sofa Justice Warriors.

And here, for your amusement, is my Youtube show that isn't outragey enough for my side, nor is it forgiving enough for the other side.

A show for almost nobody.

The episodes so far:

Sofa Justice Warriors Episode 1 — PCU

I lay out the mission statement for the show, dressing myself as an outrage critic, then pissing off that audience by undermining that message, proclaiming my love for a movie I think has incredibly damaging messages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsvT3JsJKx0

Sofa Justice Warriors Episode 2 — Falling Down

My guests and I analyze a film which somehow manages to pander to two diametrically-opposed audiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9RTMuWqJJw

Sofa Justice Warriors Episode 3 — Revenge of the Nerds
Our one and only hit piece. Kind of figured we could find some redeemable things to say about this flick, but it... has some problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjBb0t10vkM

Sofa Justice Warriors Episode 4 — Mad Max Fury Road
After relentlessly negging on Revenge of the Nerds, I needed a pallet-cleanser. Fury Road is a perfect movie, and I explain here exactly why I think it's perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMeiI56mhkA

Sofa Justice Warriors Episode 5 — Elira: Mistress of the Dark
Wherein Dr. Mrs. My Wife and I express our love for this 80s cult classic and what an awesome message it sends to young men and women. Also, we fight off a curse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsEkabEUmWM

Sofa Justice Warriors Episode 6 — Soldier
NPC Del from the NPCCast joins us to talk about how amazing this overlooked flick got so much right when getting it wrong might have made for a bigger audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs-YjnwShtw

Sofa Justice Warriors Episode 7 — Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat
Del from the NPCCast drops by again to talk about two video game movies from the 90s, and how similar they were in intent, but massively different in execution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCaJ00YvNH4

Enjoy! Or don't.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bofa Justice Warriors

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

NienNunb posted:

Bofa Justice Warriors

What's justice?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I've only watched part of the first episode but I find your show very charming. I don't think anyone will like it though.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i watched the first one and i like it. not sure how well it'll go over with some people but i think your delivery is good and you come across as pretty level-headed and fair.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wachepti posted:

I've only watched part of the first episode but I find your show very charming. I don't think anyone will like it though.
Thank you! I knew from the start that it was an unmarketable show with a potential audience that was incredibly narrow, but all I can do is hope there's a group of people out there who fit into the very slim section of venn diagram that I do.

Just making GBS threads on things for being terrible would net me more viewers, I'm sure, but I really like a lot of things that I think have problems, and I like talking about those problems, and if I had any particular mission statement for the show it would be making that sentiment more prominent in our big discussions. Because so many things are talked about as if they can only be good or bad, and in my experience, it's far more common to see things being good with bad qualities, or bad with good qualities.

Cardboard Box posted:

i watched the first one and i like it. not sure how well it'll go over with some people but i think your delivery is good and you come across as pretty level-headed and fair.
Thank you, too! For the same reasons stated above, that means a lot.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I am the person who liked it, it's me! These videos are good!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

married but discreet posted:

I am the person who liked it, it's me! These videos are good!
Thank you.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

NienNunb posted:

Bofa Justice Warriors
Y'know, I just ignored this when it happened, but in the act of checking the thread to see if anybody said anything I've found myself becoming increasingly stuck on what, exactly this means? It has the feel of a Simpsons reference, but I can't put my finger on it.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
This is way better than any analysis show shot in someone's basement has any right to be. Please just take a valium before you shoot because your animation is verging on shaking yourself apart like a Ronco record vault. Get on Patreon and start churning these out like mad. Your on-the-spot epiphanies are dynamite.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is where I admit that I'm an old man. I don't know what a Patreon is.

Edit: You sure said a lot of nice things about me, though. Thank you.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 21, 2016

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

This is where I admit that I'm an old man. I don't know what a Patreon is.

Edit: You sure said a lot of nice things about me, though. Thank you.

Its a crowdfunding platform for either a specific period or every main thing you put out you get a payout. It suits your whole setup to a tee.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Frogfingers posted:

Its a crowdfunding platform for either a specific period or every main thing you put out you get a payout. It suits your whole setup to a tee.
That's pretty rad! I think I'll keep making things until I make that one thing that breaks triple digits, and then I'll probably do that. Thank you!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I just watched the episode you did on Soldier and enjoyed it - good going! This might blow your mind, but I saw Soldier prior to your episode! In the theater in it's initial run, no less.

Interestingly, my feelings at the time regarding Jason Scott Lee's casting as the villain dovetail with the points you were making late in the episode about how white actors get to play everything, whereas others don't. Specifically, I remember my wife and I liking Jason Scott Lee following Dragon (and later, Map of the Human Heart) and I felt it was encouraging that he found work playing a part that I doubted was specifically written for an Asian or Pacific-Islander actor. So my take on it at the time was a bit different - I probably didn't process he was the only non-white or what the implications could be, though.

Anyhow, keep it up - I like your enthusiasm and insightfulness.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
drat, watching the Elivira one now, and the town's name, "Fallwell," was a very obvious joke at the time - referring to preacher cum pundit Jerry Fallwell and his Moral Majority movement.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wizchine posted:

I just watched the episode you did on Soldier and enjoyed it - good going! This might blow your mind, but I saw Soldier prior to your episode! In the theater in it's initial run, no less.

Interestingly, my feelings at the time regarding Jason Scott Lee's casting as the villain dovetail with the points you were making late in the episode about how white actors get to play everything, whereas others don't. Specifically, I remember my wife and I liking Jason Scott Lee following Dragon (and later, Map of the Human Heart) and I felt it was encouraging that he found work playing a part that I doubted was specifically written for an Asian or Pacific-Islander actor. So my take on it at the time was a bit different - I probably didn't process he was the only non-white or what the implications could be, though.

Anyhow, keep it up - I like your enthusiasm and insightfulness.
Thank you! You are one of two people who have disproved the "I dare you to tell me you've seen this movie," theorum.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

LividLiquid posted:

Thank you! You are one of two people who have disproved the "I dare you to tell me you've seen this movie," theorum.

I saw Elvira in the theaters, too. I don't have superpowers - I'm just old.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LividLiquid posted:

I was waaaay too young to see Soldier in theaters, but it was one of my childhood movies on FX/TNT/TBS/etc.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I've seen Soldier multiple times and will maintain that it's an ugly looking movie for the most part.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've seen Soldier multiple times and will maintain that it's an ugly looking movie for the most part.
Care to ellaborate? I thought the film was gorgeous.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wizchine posted:

I saw Elvira in the theaters, too. I don't have superpowers - I'm just old.
It's weird how people's ideas of feminism have more to do with Married with Children's Marcy Daarcy than actual feminism, so much to the point that folks are surprised that Doctor Missus My Wife and I liked that movie and think it says a lot of really positive things.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Get off the couch!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Wizchine posted:

drat, watching the Elivira one now, and the town's name, "Fallwell," was a very obvious joke at the time - referring to preacher cum pundit Jerry Fallwell and his Moral Majority movement.

Please change my name- hell, just change somebody's name- to "cum pundit".

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

LividLiquid posted:

Care to ellaborate? I thought the film was gorgeous.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but to me the beginning is a complete eyesore. The coloured lighting in particular just looks awful to me and reminds me of early 3D video games. The later parts of the movie improve a bit, but the whole thing feels decidedly stage-y throughout. By the way I really enjoyed your video on it, so keep up the good work!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's been a while since I've seen it, but to me the beginning is a complete eyesore. The coloured lighting in particular just looks awful to me and reminds me of early 3D video games. The later parts of the movie improve a bit, but the whole thing feels decidedly stage-y throughout. By the way I really enjoyed your video on it, so keep up the good work!
Thanks! And thanks for explaining your opinion when you way didn't have to.

I really loved the look of the flick, but I'd be remiss if I didn't admit I'm comparing into years of CGI I hate. Bias exists. The question is why. I just hope my bias stands the test of time here.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

https://twitter.com/SofaJustice/status/814223298061942784

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

Y'know, I just ignored this when it happened, but in the act of checking the thread to see if anybody said anything I've found myself becoming increasingly stuck on what, exactly this means? It has the feel of a Simpsons reference, but I can't put my finger on it.

https://storify.com/JoshMock/dawkins-gets-bofa-d

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I was waaaay too young to see Soldier in theaters, but it was one of my childhood movies on FX/TNT/TBS/etc.
I had never heard of the film until I was analyzing it, but it was so fascinating that I couldn't help myself.

Also, thank you, FrogFingers. I'm starting a Patreon.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't stress this enough:

If you decide to have a job or hobby where you have to stare at your own stupid loving face every day, don't.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

😎

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, you gently caress.

Anyway, next episode is about the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat movies. It's basically done, and I'll be launching it Monday, I'm pretty sure.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCaJ00YvNH4

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You have really good chemistry with the other dude, that was a fun watch.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You have really good chemistry with the other dude, that was a fun watch.
Thank you!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So I do mini-episodes under the subtitle of Armchair Philosophy, and they're very short, and not about movies.

One, for instance, was basically, "Hey, fellas. Maybe stop getting mad about women crossing the street to avoid you."

My next video is going to be one of these about how I kind of hosed up during the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat episode.

I'm not gonna' link these in the main post, 'cause they might not be CineD material, really, but they are a part of the channel, so here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIwHe0U4DMY

This is the one about women crossing the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpTwV6anYS8

This one is about something that bugs the poo poo out of me. People are loving poo poo at apologizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRe9Zr4gmj8

This one is probably the only episode I've made that was inspired by things that I see regularly on this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTG5-BFUzy0

This was filmed after Donald Trump was elected President, and isn't what you probably expect from a big ol' feminist leftie.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Please include a link to your Patreon not just in the content of your videos, but also in the contact form of your Youtube page. I guarantee you more people will find their way to it if you give them something to click on, rather than something they need to type out themselves.

I remember Street Fighter fondly, and somehow it bewitched my parents enough that I ended up with Street Fighter 2: the Movie as a 9 year old, which was... very different.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Frogfingers posted:

Please include a link to your Patreon not just in the content of your videos, but also in the contact form of your Youtube page. I guarantee you more people will find their way to it if you give them something to click on, rather than something they need to type out themselves.
*forehead slap.

Ok, I'll work that out. Youtube's interface is literally the worst I've ever used since some obscure Dos 6 programs, and I absolutely HATE HATE HATE their tools. You should be able to click on any of the text or icons on the splash screen at the end and go there, but Youtube super doesn't want their users going anywhere but Youtube, so I can't set it up that way.

Edit: I'm either too stupid to figure out how to do what you're talking about, or Youtube doesn't actually allow hyperlinks in my channel description. Neither would surprise me.

Edit 2: I just had my developer add a Patreon button to the website, which'd be all well and good if people actually still consumed media that way instead of on aggregators, blogs, and social media, but Youtube is still just baffling to me.

But I also enabled comments on the website itself, because while Youtube comments are a dumpster fire I'd like to avoid, the very few who go to the site should be able to say some poo poo.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 6, 2017

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Edit: I'm either too stupid to figure out how to do what you're talking about, or Youtube doesn't actually allow hyperlinks in my channel description. Neither would surprise me.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-add-a-Facebook-Google+-and-Twitter-link-to-my-YouTube-channel-art-page Top right hand button on your youtube page. There's a little dropdown box that says custom links. They're added to your banner and to your 'about' section, which you can enable by clicking on the gear next to the subscribe button and toggling on 'customize the layout of this channel'. Why this is so obtuse I do not know.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Hey, I really like this! I'm also one of those people who tend to focus on these elements of films, at times to the detriment of my own enjoyment of them, and although I follow many other film criticism YouTube channels, I love that you really go in depth on just that aspect.

I don't know if you're intentionally mostly focusing on 80s/90s movies, but personally I'd love to see more contemporary works examined as well, especially since they tend to be more relevant to current social issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really like this despite how incredibly insufferable the two guests on the Falling Down episode were.

e: My only general criticism would be that you really don't have to fall all over yourself to point out that you're on the "right side" of issues, if someone doesn't pick up on that it's on them, it's not on you to go way over the top to make sure you keep saying "Don't get me wrong, I hate whitey and this film is :siren: problematic :siren: ". Your audience is probably smarter than that! :)

precision fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 6, 2017

• Locked thread