Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

:siren:SHITPOSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this Nazi-loving dipshit on ignore immediately!
...and in record time no less. It's refreshing

It's the main reason there had been so much backlash by conservatives against establishment Republicans who bent at the knees every time something negative was said about them by the news media or democrats.

Obamacare is economically crippling the Middle Class and will finally be repealed. It was a hard fought battle since 2010 but now the end is in sight. The Middle Class make just enough to not qualify for subsidies but do not make enough to counter the triple premium costs and $6k+ deductibles. There needs to be a solution that does not systematically destroy the middle class.

Temporarily banning immigration for 90 days (until a proper vetting process can be established) from 7 countries that were on Obama's watch list is not a Muslim ban. Most of those countries are failed states with no proper method currently of properly vetting. Non-citizens have no rights under the US constitution so it certainly is not "unconstitutional" to impose a temporary ban until proper vetting procedures can be put in place. The president and federal government's number one responsibility is protecting US citizens. We already see what a poo poo hole Europe is becoming because of out of control immigration and terrorism. It's what led to Brexit.

It's about time we finally enforce the immigration laws we already have on the books and do away with sanctuary cities. Most every other country on the planet has stricter immigration laws than the USA but somehow we are racist if we don't have open borders. The only reason Democrats want open borders is because they see illegal immigrants as future democrat voters and now that flow of voters into the country may be stopped.

Finally, reducing the corporate tax rate will help create jobs and keep businesses in the country. America has the most punitive corporate tax rate in the industrialized world. The largest sector of growth during Obama's reign was the Federal government. A hiring freeze for federal jobs is exactly what was needed. The focus needs to be on the private sector.

The Democrats have lost everything. All three branches of government as well as most of the governorships, lost. The meltdown is epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtvZlLp8Fdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

I didn't realize "high speed Nixon" was one of Trumpy's campaign promises.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Do you have anything else to say aside from unsubstantiated talking points? Can you provide any support for any of your noted deficiencies or solutions?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Let us know what homeless shelter you end up on so we can mail this to you

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Cobra_Commander posted:

. Non-citizens have no rights under the US constitution so it certainly is not "unconstitutional" to impose a temporary ban until proper vetting procedures can be put in place.

This is a bit pedantic because immigration stuff is largely untouched by judicial review, however this isn't true at all. Constitutional rights,, specifically those outlined in the Bill of Rights, are not limited to U.S. citizens.

Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

Danger posted:

This is a bit pedantic because immigration stuff is largely untouched by judicial review, however this isn't true at all. Constitutional rights,, specifically those outlined in the Bill of Rights, are not limited to U.S. citizens.

Only within US territory, not other countries

"Within U.S. territory, non-citizens have rights because of the 14th Amendment, which declares “nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Aren't you the same idiot that posted the thread about "Uh buh the wall he promised to build is actually getting built? I thought campaign promises were just jokes!"

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You’re my second favorite poster, Cobra_Commander

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.
I'm morbidly curious how far down the rabbit hole we can go. In a few months, will it be a delicious bit of schadenfreude, or more of a "my god, he really did it" kind of thing?

And I guess I better tell my buddy that his European country is a now a poo poo hole, apparently. It's true because I heard it from a guy on the internet and from Fox News. He'll be disappointed, but now will want to move to Trump USA®!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

save us, GI Joe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cobra_Commander posted:

Only within US territory, not other countries

"Within U.S. territory, non-citizens have rights because of the 14th Amendment, which declares “nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

Which would presumably mean that you would have to arrest people and also detain them before they land in the US.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

GodDamnArtist posted:

I'm morbidly curious how far down the rabbit hole we can go.

As far as we down as it takes to rile enough people up, make them mad. But there's no waking up from this; whatever path forward we all might find, the world will still look very different from pre-Trump in a very negative way (to the left). If we fail during midterms, if we fail in the next general, if we fail to push back constantly, if we fail to hold them accountable... we might be looking at "Alternate-Democracy."(Right wing, A-religious, Authoritarianism)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Good name + post content combo

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

:gas:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I know this is a low-effort thread but I'm going to attempt to revive it, I guess

I wish that progressives would stop being so fatalistic about everything. Over the last two years, I've basically seen every bastion for a more progressive, or at least not regressive, society lapse. I saw Bernie get hosed in the primaries, I saw his voters abandon the democratic party to not vote at all or to vote for Trump because anti-establishment (which is a different topic altogether.). I watched in horror throughout the night of November 8th as the previously "Of course she's gonna win, duh" stance became more and more ridiculous over a few hours.

But I still feel like we can rebuild. If the DNC can get itself together in the next year or so - appoint a new chair, start vetting promising candidates, and keeping the Clintons as far away from the race as they can, coupled with how, at the current pace, Trump fans are falling off of him like flies, we'll have a really good shot at clenching this thing.

I'm not trying to say everyone stay positive, or Things Aren't That Bad, or Pessimism Is Bad, I'm kinda just saying look out on the horizon: Trump has a good chance of getting impeached. And if he doesn't, the Democrats are definitely going to win next term. There's no way Trump is going to be a two term president, and I'd strongly doubt that Pence, Spicer, or Bannon will be coming out smelling like roses either.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cobra_Commander posted:

...and in record time no less. It's refreshing
:words:
The Democrats have lost everything. All three branches of government as well as most of the governorships, lost. The meltdown is epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtvZlLp8Fdc

Hey I know this election has fulfilled every Tea Party wet dream, but you are gonna deeply regret this president after 4 years, maybe even some years after it when all the damage comes to the forefront. I'd love to be wrong but everything that has happened thus far only suggests the worst.

BTW one point though

quote:

Obamacare is economically crippling the Middle Class and will finally be repealed. It was a hard fought battle since 2010 but now the end is in sight. The Middle Class make just enough to not qualify for subsidies but do not make enough to counter the triple premium costs and $6k+ deductibles. There needs to be a solution that does not systematically destroy the middle class.

The middle class is already being dismantled and it has very little to do with Obamacare. Trump and co are going to accelerate it even further, that's just how capitalism works.

The only sane way to address healthcare is to move to single payer and create a new tax bracket on the wealthy to pay for it. It'll get employers out of healthcare as well, which is what they want.

The private sector does nothing but damage if its not regulated by the government. Cutting taxes does not incentivize companies to stay and hire American workers.

Everything else you posted is easily refutable.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

landgrabber posted:

I'm not trying to say everyone stay positive, or Things Aren't That Bad, or Pessimism Is Bad, I'm kinda just saying look out on the horizon: Trump has a good chance of getting impeached. And if he doesn't, the Democrats are definitely going to win next term. There's no way Trump is going to be a two term president, and I'd strongly doubt that Pence, Spicer, or Bannon will be coming out smelling like roses either.

Given that impeachment starts in the house and is tried in the Senate I just don't see this happening unless there's a massive wave election in 2018. Which, while I'm hopeful for, I don't feel like we can count on given the dems' abysmal hold on the house and Senate. Which isn't to say that I think we're all gonna be eating bugs in a post apocalyptic hellscape by 2020 but.... Man, I ain't feeling too lucky, either.

Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

Confounding Factor posted:

BTW one point though

The middle class is already being dismantled and it has very little to do with Obamacare. Trump and co are going to accelerate it even further, that's just how capitalism works.

The only sane way to address healthcare is to move to single payer and create a new tax bracket on the wealthy to pay for it. It'll get employers out of healthcare as well, which is what they want.

The private sector does nothing but damage if its not regulated by the government. Cutting taxes does not incentivize companies to stay and hire American workers.

Everything else you posted is easily refutable.

I put much more faith in the free market than i do corrupt government beaurocracy. There needs to be some regulations but giving the government monopoly control of the health care system and my well being is a scary prospect. There is no incentive to provide quality healthcare and often critical procedures are delayed to the point where the patient dies, which works out well for the government because they save money

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Cobra_Commander posted:

I put much more faith in the free market than i do corrupt government beaurocracy. There needs to be some regulations but giving the government monopoly control of the health care system and my well being is a scary prospect. There is no incentive to provide quality healthcare and often critical procedures are delayed to the point where the patient dies, which works out well for the government because they save money
This doesn't happen in any country with single payer healthcare. Acute emergencies go to the front of the line. Yes there can be long waitlists, especially for elective outpatient procedures.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cobra_Commander posted:

But yet having private control over the healthcare system isn't a scary prospect? What do you think our current for-profit system did before Obamacare? They cut as much costs as they could to give larger bonuses to insurance company execs and physicians and avoid treating policyholders in order to help make companies more profitable. Hell they don't want you to get healthier because if you did then that means less visits, less profits. Of course with the obscene costs of care and those unable to afford insurance, individuals have to file bankruptcy. Half of all bankruptcies in the US are related to medical debt.

Our healthcare system is completely broken. I can't believe people still think in order for it to improve it should revert back to private for-profit care. That's lunacy. They don't want to provide quality healthcare, that's what you don't get.

Jesus just look at Cuba for God's sake. They have so little to spend but get so much out of their healthcare, whereas we spend the most and get the least.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cobra_Commander posted:

There is no incentive to provide quality healthcare
Why is there any incentive to provide quality healthcare when making people get more gets you $$$

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

Cobra_Commander posted:

There is no incentive to provide quality healthcare and often critical procedures are delayed to the point where the patient dies, which works out well for the government because they save money

Same with private insurance companies. But with equal propensity towards corruption, trust the public option over the private one. Trust the option with PUBLIC safeguards towards corruption rather than the one whose motivation is the free market, whose motivation is to gather as much customers as possible by any means possible, which includes data fudging so as to support the claims for the ads on TV. Health services are not something you wish to compare and contrast when your life is on the line. The libertarian option does not work here as the product in question has an unelastic demand: it will always be tied to the population and the general workplace environment of the country in question (and with less oversight, more opportunities for cutting corners at your expense).

Even with single-payer health care, It's not all generosity from the state. But Heaven forfend your life be in danger, it might be saved by a doctor's fear of an independant investigator looking over his work. With private health care, a slick marketing campaign can make potential customers overlook past mistakes. Not what you want to depend upon.

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

Cobra_Commander posted:

healthcare systems motivated by profit have no incentive to actually make people well again, but keep them coming back to improve the bottom line.

gently caress off idiot.

Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

jBrereton posted:

Why is there any incentive to provide quality healthcare when making people get more gets you $$$

Competition between insurance companies help to drive prices down. Which is why competition between insurance companies should be opened across state lines. There is also more incentive to provide better services when there is competition. What incentives will the government have to provide quality healthcare when they have a monopoly over the entire healthcare system?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Cobra_Commander posted:

Competition between insurance companies help to drive prices down. Which is why competition between insurance companies should be opened across state lines. There is also more incentive to provide better services when there is competition. What incentives will the government have to provide quality healthcare when they have a monopoly over the entire healthcare system?

This didn't happen pre-ACA and certainly won't happen post-ACA.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Cobra_Commander posted:

You say all of these things as though they're a given when you're just wrong in almost every way. It's astounding.

How're you feeling about the forthcoming Mexico Racism Wall, btw? Still apoplectic about the waste of taxpayer money?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Cobra_Commander posted:

The electorate voting them out when they don't provide quality healthcare is the motivation. Beyond that there's really no reason to make it a monopoly - private hospitals exist and if people wish to go there and pay extra, they can

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cobra_Commander posted:

Holy poo poo when did 14 year olds get credit cards to register accounts here?

Cobra_Commander posted:

60% of americans get their healthcare through employer sponsored insurance, which means your employer is the insurance company and the "insurance company" just handles the paperwork. Any competition there is companies fighting for large group accounts, not individual consumrs.

Also most of the cost of building an insurance product is creating and negotiating prices for a provider network. Why would insurance companies want to build multistate insurance networks? Makes very little sense, which is why America's Health Insurance Plans is against the state lines talking point:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/upshot/the-problem-with-gop-plans-to-sell-health-insurance-across-state-lines.html

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 1, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Middle Class has been economically crippled because their bosses spent 40 years attacking workers while home, education and health costs have drastically outstripped inflation.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
at least amerigin was clever about it most of the time

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cobra_Commander posted:

I suspect you are a troll, but I really feel like this particular point needs to be addressed if only so no one reads this and takes it at face value.

Off the top of your head, how many people do you think annually in Canada from inability to receive medical care? Just throw out a number. Oh, wait. This is an internet forum, not a chat room. Well okay, would it surprise you to know the number is somewhere around five? I say three because for 2012-2016 I can only find about ten cases total, and I figure there are probably a few cases that don't get obviously reported in a way I can easily find.

Do you know the similar number for the US in 2009 (which was when the last major study was done)? 45,000.

Now to be fair there is an order of magnitude difference in population, so that actually goes to about 5 vs 4,500. That said, I can't think of any statistic that more sucinctly points out how wrong you are. In Canada I have to go looking for individual cases of people dying due to inability to receive medical care because they are so goddamn rare.

That isn't to say that medical care in Canada is some utopian wonderland. I've waited nine hours in an emergency room with a broken hand, which sucks, but isn't even remotely on the same spectrum. People do not die waiting for medical care in Canada, but I have personally witnessed a beautiful young woman waste away with treatable cancer because she could not afford treatment. You are wrong and the values that you espouse actively lead to the deaths of thousands of your fellow citizens from poo poo ranging from Cancer to tooth aches.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
remember amateur economist? he's still in the most ignored list I think. Kids today get their lazy trolling jollies off reddit and never learn to develop a proper persona like toblerone triangular

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

landgrabber posted:

I know this is a low-effort thread but I'm going to attempt to revive it, I guess

I wish that progressives would stop being so fatalistic about everything. Over the last two years, I've basically seen every bastion for a more progressive, or at least not regressive, society lapse. I saw Bernie get hosed in the primaries, I saw his voters abandon the democratic party to not vote at all or to vote for Trump because anti-establishment (which is a different topic altogether.). I watched in horror throughout the night of November 8th as the previously "Of course she's gonna win, duh" stance became more and more ridiculous over a few hours.

But I still feel like we can rebuild. If the DNC can get itself together in the next year or so - appoint a new chair, start vetting promising candidates, and keeping the Clintons as far away from the race as they can, coupled with how, at the current pace, Trump fans are falling off of him like flies, we'll have a really good shot at clenching this thing.

Trump's not going to get impeached. He's going to continue pushing extreme conservative policies while co-opting planks of what use to be the democratic party. Will anybody remember the conservative supreme court appointee or the temporary ban on those 7 countries or a US commando dying in Yemen (which how is nobody talking about that? his first military operation in saudi arabia's war and we lose an american) if he actually succeeds with his promises to labor? The DNC is going to stay the course and continue running garbage candidates/campaigns so they are only going to lose ground in 2018. And even if they somehow pull it together in time for 2020 with a good candidate like Tulsi Gabbard, it may be too late for a country that like the speed at which Trump moves and the planks he successfully co-opts. And if an actual progressive candidate loses in 2020 against Trump, it's going to be used as a 'we told you' moment by the establishment democrats to return to the status-quo (which won't work until a Bush 1 type successor fails to live up to the Trump hype and the dems stumble into a victory where they think that centrism saved the day yet again)

Times are super loving dire if you're a progressive. We put (what should be) a stake through the heart of Clintonism but unless the democrats can follow up with what the country needs, Steve Bannon's prediction of the Republicans governing for the next 50 years is going to come true.

I still feel like the Trump presidency will have some bright spots for America but I'm really worried about who will come after him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just wanted to mention that your point about corporate taxes is nonsense. Even if the nominal tax rates are fairly high, the actual effective tax rate corporations pay is usually very low (because there are many ways they can reduce the taxes they pay). So I can 100% guarantee you that lowering the corporate tax rate will not somehow create jobs or bring jobs back to America.

Even if the effective tax rate was higher than other countries (which it isn't), lowering it still wouldn't make a difference in terms of creating jobs. Companies generally don't create new jobs when their profit increases, because that doesn't make any sense. They hire people based upon the demand for their product/service and how many employees they need to provide said product/service. But there is zero reason for them to hire more people if their tax decreases; they'd just pocket the difference. And if they're making a profit in the first place, it means that they could afford to hire more people.

If you actually want to create jobs, you should redistribute wealth to lower income Americans (who are likely to spend a larger portion of their wages). This increases demand, which means companies need to hire more people to meet that demand.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

PenguinKnight posted:

save us, GI Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ah2I166f_U

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Ytlaya posted:

Just wanted to mention that your point about corporate taxes is nonsense. Even if the nominal tax rates are fairly high, the actual effective tax rate corporations pay is usually very low (because there are many ways they can reduce the taxes they pay). So I can 100% guarantee you that lowering the corporate tax rate will not somehow create jobs or bring jobs back to America.

Even if the effective tax rate was higher than other countries (which it isn't), lowering it still wouldn't make a difference in terms of creating jobs. Companies generally don't create new jobs when their profit increases, because that doesn't make any sense. They hire people based upon the demand for their product/service and how many employees they need to provide said product/service. But there is zero reason for them to hire more people if their tax decreases; they'd just pocket the difference. And if they're making a profit in the first place, it means that they could afford to hire more people.

If you actually want to create jobs, you should redistribute wealth to lower income Americans (who are likely to spend a larger portion of their wages). This increases demand, which means companies need to hire more people to meet that demand.

Epic this. Gina Reinhart, when she was the richest woman in the world (worth 29 billion at the time) wanted to pay workers two dollars an hour. If she was going to hire more people at better wages, that would have been the time to do it. Instead she just wanted to pocket more cash even though she had more than ten generations could spend in a lifetime.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Peven Stan posted:

Holy poo poo when did 14 year olds get credit cards to register accounts here?

60% of americans get their healthcare through employer sponsored insurance, which means your employer is the insurance company and the "insurance company" just handles the paperwork. Any competition there is companies fighting for large group accounts, not individual consumrs.

Also most of the cost of building an insurance product is creating and negotiating prices for a provider network. Why would insurance companies want to build multistate insurance networks? Makes very little sense, which is why America's Health Insurance Plans is against the state lines talking point:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/upshot/the-problem-with-gop-plans-to-sell-health-insurance-across-state-lines.html

Also, if the ability to buy insurance across state lines is opened AND the industry isn't properly regulated at the federal level (it won't be under Republicans) then every insurance company will just relocate to the state that will saddle them with the least regulations. Kind of like how capital flight happened when we decided to not live in a toxic waste dump with flaming rivers.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Looking at the video and realizing it is a parody video against Trump I've a sneaking suspicion this is not entirely genuine posting.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Thought this thread was going to be about Duterte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Cobra_Commander posted:

Oh it's this thing called an election. Basically, if the government does a good job with healthcare you acknowledge that in your decision to allow them to remain in power.

• Locked thread