Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What is this?

Gundam Versus is the latest entry in the 15 year old Gundam Vs. franchise. The franchise is an arcade battler with 2v23v3 battle action for unlimited extreme excitement.

The Gundam Vs. series is a staple of Japanese Arcades, people lining up to play the newest version even months after it has been out is not an uncommon sight.

The newest entry is a console only release.

Isn't this a fighting game?
Yes and no. The Versus series is a teambased, arena shooter/fighter that is somewhat resembling to Virtual-On. Others compare it to Dissidia.

The game has combos and healthbars and other poo poo, but it's not your typical hadoukenfest.

Oh is this that pod game..
No, not that one. That's called Senjo no Kizuna and it only had a PSP port.

What is Gundam?

Go read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam

Gundam is a longrunning mecha anime plastic model franchise about WAR and ROBOTS and LOVE and other stuff. It is sort of like a Star Trek of Japan, it got canceled prematurely, grassroots fan support got it to a film adaptation and the ensuing success cemented it to be the best status.

The series is also famous for being a goldmine for Namco Bandai in the form of plastic models. Gundam Plastic Models are the bomb and very, very addictive.

Friends at ADTRW have a thread for the anime: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746278
and the plastic models http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Do I need to have watched all of that?

Nope. You can enjoy the game without watching an episode.

What mobile suits are in it?
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Gundam_Versus

Here's a list of all the suits you can have

When is it coming out?
July 6th in Japan out now
September 29th in the European colonies and American territories of Zeon.

Does it have online multiplayer?
Hell yeah! That's the point of this whole release.

To be added: Goon spreadsheet for online mobile suit action

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Reserved

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was wondering when a thread for this would pop up. I downloaded it and tried to play it after scrolling for 10 minutes through through the unskippable terms and conditions aaaaaaaaand it said 'service is unavailable'

I'll try again later I guess.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was wondering when a thread for this would pop up. I downloaded it and tried to play it after scrolling for 10 minutes through through the unskippable terms and conditions aaaaaaaaand it said 'service is unavailable'

I'll try again later I guess.

The beta ended on monday :(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh what? That's weak.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Does this game have Rainbow Step or a similar mechanic? Extreme VS Full Burst added it, and I thought it really made the game for me; the ability to have intense YOLO dash-dodge battles as a last-ditch survival effort was great.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Yeah, stepping to cancel attacks is still in. Rushdown combat in general is quite a lot better than it was previously, despite universal assists being a great way to stuff it.

The US beta wasn't patched up to date with the current JP patch so folks got to experience how busted The O assist and ZZ Gundam were. Hopefully they fix that appropriately for the full release.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The gently caress is this I can't play as Beargguy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are these games really anal about the performance stats of machines or can you have match ups like a Zaku 1 vs the Turn A and still have a fair fight?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Gundam fighting game, no G Gundam characters, absolute horseshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are these games really anal about the performance stats of machines or can you have match ups like a Zaku 1 vs the Turn A and still have a fair fight?
these games are balanced around cost, such that weaker machines have a lower cost and stronger machines have a higher cost. cost is taken out of your team's lifebar when you die. as such, a zaku 1 will be weaker than the turn-a, but will have more 'lives' to make up for it.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

For the purposes of balance costs are generally considered have their own internal tiers, for example the Marasai is a 200 and performs quite highly within it's class. It can be a good pick regardless of what you're playing against. Ultimately though a higher cost suit is expected to outperform lower cost ones by design. This sounds bad, but this is a team based game so your composition is ultimately what matters.

There are bad suits within every cost tier, but you don't really have to get too worried about that level of balancing until you start getting real good at the game. It's easier to notice the value of the many subtle movement tricks/tools/combos/etc the more you play.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm hoping for Destiny and 00 Raiser to be added later. I need the most 12 year old cool gundams.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Yeah, stepping to cancel attacks is still in. Rushdown combat in general is quite a lot better than it was previously, despite universal assists being a great way to stuff it.

The US beta wasn't patched up to date with the current JP patch so folks got to experience how busted The O assist and ZZ Gundam were. Hopefully they fix that appropriately for the full release.

Didn't play in the beta, but how were the assists in the gameplay? Were they all projectiles of some sort, or did they have multiple functions/uses?

Also it says assists are finite and recharge with bursts, do they not recharge after reviving from a death?

Archenteron posted:

Gundam fighting game, no G Gundam characters, absolute horseshit.

I was wondering if the cast was gonna be small when I read this, but in looking it up, yeah it seems like it's got an okay cast that is just completely missing G. Weird?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Ventana posted:

Didn't play in the beta, but how were the assists in the gameplay? Were they all projectiles of some sort, or did they have multiple functions/uses?

Also it says assists are finite and recharge with bursts, do they not recharge after reviving from a death?

They refill on death as well.

Assists can be projectiles (Guntank is basically the Guntank assist the RX-78 had in full boost, for example), but they can be other things as well. Doan's Zaku comes out and does his big ol' punch, which can be surprisingly useful. The O does a newtype burst or whatever they're called, a full radial stun. That one had to be nerfed it was so good. Gold Sumo has the bunker laser which is also a great defensive/stun setup tool. I don't have them all unlocked, you have to get most of the suits in the game up to level around 5 to do that.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Do we know if the game will be cross region?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

chumbler posted:

I'm hoping for Destiny and 00 Raiser to be added later. I need the most 12 year old cool gundams.

No 00 or 00 Raiser? what the actual gently caress is this? I mean, I will take my Exia and make do but this is not cool.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Do we know if the game will be cross region?

There was an interview a while back saying there is cross region play, but if the western release is behind on the patch cycle/dlc calendar it'll be interesting to watch that shake out.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Launch day info/tips post:

- IMPORTANT Hot Scramble Gundam is the arguably the best unit in the game right now and he's preorder DLC only. For some reason, he is free to download right now even if you don't own the game. Grab him if you wanna pick the game up and you didn't preorder. he's getting nerfed again though so who knows!

- The game does have cross region play, so you can play with friends that have the japanese version, etc. We'll be on the same patch cycle as Japan as a result. Time will tell if they bother officially translating patch notes, but ggez.space has done a good job keeping up to date on this so far.

- The game is launching with 7 DLC units priced at 5$ each. That places the US DLC release slightly behind JPN, which has 3 more units available at the same cost (Nightengale, AGE-1, Phantom), with 2 more on the way bare minimum. They're going to keep adding suits. Preorders come with Barbatos Lupus and Virtue codes, so you'll likely have 2 of these already.

- With that in mind, the Gundam games are rather notorious for adding lots of competitively useless DLC and some really REALLY good ones. Unless you like a suit aesthetically, I wouldn't buy a suit if it sucks. Don't feel pressured to have a 'complete' game, it's really not worth it.

Should I buy this dlc?
    VERY GOOD
  • Bound Doc, G-Self Perfect Pack
    OKAY
  • Perfect Strike, Virtue (preorder bonus), Barbatos Lupus (preorder bonus)
    HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE
  • Gusion Rebake, Pale Rider*
* - both of these are getting buffed in the next patch, Pale Rider might actually be good then

Next in the schedule are:
  • Nightingale - Good suit all around.
  • Gundam AGE-1 - Spallow form has ridiculous rushdown, especially for a 300 cost. Everything else is ok.
  • Phantom Gundam - Good pick as well, currently has a bugged action but even then it's solid.

- When you start the game, you need to unlock good assists asap. The best general purpose starting assists are Guntank, Gold Sumo and Kimaris Trooper. All three have been announced for nerfs in a patch coming in a couple weeks. They're REALLY strong right now though so if you wanna experience the power go right ahead. I don't know what the assist meta looks like beyond this honestly. Better players have told me that gerobi assists will likely hop up in functionality, so stuff like Kshatriya and Gottrlatan might be recommended.

- If you want to grind suits up to level 5 quickly to unlock as many assists as possible, go to 'Trial Battle' and play the first easy route up until the third battle, and just keep shooting Zakus until time runs out. Do NOT shoot the big airplane, just farm Zakus. Be sure to turn your partner's AI to 'stop' or 'hold' (however it's translated) so they stop shooting the plane. You keep the EXP gained, just quit when you hit level 5.

I can try to answer more questions but I admit I'm not the most qualified or experienced.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Flag is bad, don't do it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What about both Tallgeese?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Tallgeese II is average as far as I know, but he's getting buffed in the next patch. Wouldn't recommend Tallgeese I, he's just II but worse.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Tallgeese 2 has a problem of a long reload and low shot count on a suit whose gimmick is his main. The buff to him coming up is nice but right now you have to be really picky with your shots or you'll find yourself twiddling your thumbs with no ammo real quick. They're buffing his main reload, main count, and CS.A speed to address that problem which is good.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really want to make tallgeese work but the 3v3 match I just lost tells me to switch.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really love this series and hope the NA american scene actually improves and doesn't remain poverty as hell.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So uh, does anyone have experience with codes not working from amazon? I get an invalid message when I enter my pre-order dlc codes and amazon's faqs pretty much says "lol contact sony"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does this game really not have subtitle options? :(

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'm very surprised that the overseas release has a few of the anime opening songs on here.

EDIT: also wow this tutorial is hot garbage.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 29, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah the tutorial is real bad.

I did 7 fights last night, lost 6 and got a perfect on the last match. Thank you Ramba Rall!:patriot:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I just want G Gundam DLC

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

They added a new series with AGE-1, so I wouldn't call G out of the running yet. So far they seem to be doubling down on more obscure side story picks with some actual anime suits sprinkled in.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

this game is really fun but every online match I've joined has had atrocious lag

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Online is tremendously bad if a single player is on wifi or just has terrible internet

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I see why guntank is getting nerfed. It's like 50% responsible for the few wins I did get.

OG gundam is a good beginner suit right?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I had some horrible issues with the netplay in the beta, is the full game better? Every 2nd or 3rd match would be a slideshow until it kicked me out.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The netplay is really good actually, but if a single person is on wifi or has a terrible connection the match is dead.

Gundam is a fine starter, though his kit is a little more gimmicky now beyond his rifle. Hyaku Shiki is my personal favorite starting suit to recommend now, but honestly you can learn with most anything. Don't be afraid of picking 500s or 200s either, just make sure they've got a good rifle and you're good to go.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
how the hell am I supposed to SSS these Trials? I can't get past SS rank for Trial route 1.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The only time I've gotten lower than SSS is if I died, but I'm not really sure how rank is calculated beyond that. For trial battles be sure to pick a suit with a good gerobi you can trash bosses with like Gottrlatan, Banshee, Perfect Strike, Hyaku Shiki etc. Hi Nu and Hot Scramble are also good picks with funnels the ai doesnt always deal with well.

I guess I never defined it in the thread but a gerobi is a big laser that you continuously fire while standing still (usually).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How many Zaku variants are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wish you could get to that training screen without queuing up for a match. It's a pain in the rear end to try new suits out because you have to pick out all this poo poo every time.

• Locked thread