Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If Jags win tomorrow then Wildcard Weekend will have been won entirely by South division teams.

Hell yeah, Titans and Falcons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
lmao if you lost a playoff game

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
drat, patriots won their bye

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
thank you falcons, now please suck next week

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

axeil posted:

we suck every week

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Well the Rams were jokers just like I initially thought. But the entire NFC is a bunch of jokers really. Not a single one of those teams could beat the Patriots or Steelers. Although the Eagles with Wentz were the best of them all Ill admit.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/949788693728055296?s=17

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

Well the Rams were jokers just like I initially thought. But the entire NFC is a bunch of jokers really. Not a single one of those teams could beat the Patriots or Steelers. Although the Eagles with Wentz were the best of them all Ill admit.

the steelers literally lost to the chicago bears

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

R.D. Mangles posted:

the steelers literally lost to the chicago bears

That was earlier this year before they hit their stride. They also lost to the Jaguars. And both the Patriots and Eagles(with Wentz!!) lost to the Chiefs. Who lost to the Giants. That was earlier.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

why would they have to beat the Patriots or Steelers?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The AFC is a top heavy joke but they’ll still prolly win it this year

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Pass to him himself :aaaaa:

The Block :hellyeah:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mike Evans has never even been to the playoffs.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Two from two for the underdogs.

Hope that trend continues.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

BlindSite posted:

Two from two for the underdogs.

Hope that trend continues.
Nah, we had our fun whacky off-day. Back to business as usual tomorrow.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx041Z2JLrU :smugdog:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Metapod posted:

lmao if you lost a playoff game

The Texans didn't! :grin:

:sigh:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Was expecting the Falcons to poo poo the bed! Rams looked pretty much exactly like they did under Fisher imo

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Is it safe to say first half Chiefs were Weeks 1-5 Chiefs, and second half Chiefs were, uh, rest of the year Chiefs? Didn't get a chance to catch it but I saw the halftime score and the final score and my god I'm so sorry y'all

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Manoueverable posted:

Is it safe to say first half Chiefs were Weeks 1-5 Chiefs, and second half Chiefs were, uh, rest of the year Chiefs? Didn't get a chance to catch it but I saw the halftime score and the final score and my god I'm so sorry y'all

Kelce got hosed up and the Chiefs did not adjust at all. I don't know why the playcalling went to complete poo poo too but it was seriously like flipping a switch as soon as he went down.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Kelce got hosed up and the Chiefs did not adjust at all. I don't know why the playcalling went to complete poo poo too but it was seriously like flipping a switch as soon as he went down.

Reddit seems to think Andy Reid took over playcalling duties from Nagy at the half, which might explain things a bit.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/Titans/status/949826395089256448

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ShakeZula posted:

Reddit seems to think Andy Reid took over playcalling duties from Nagy at the half, which might explain things a bit.

That seems absurd. Why would he take over playcalling when Nagy got him an 18 point lead? That's absurd.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GaussianCopula posted:

That seems absurd. Why would he take over playcalling when Nagy got him an 18 point lead? That's absurd.

Someone's gotta get the man a sandwich

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
There was a moment shortly after Gruden's gushing over Smith that they mentioned Dick LeBeau gathering his players around him. It seemed to me all those screens and checkoffs were shut down from that point and the Chiefs offense really started to sputter. I was only kind of watching the game while doing something else, but that was my half-rear end take that LeBeau made a big adjustment in the 2nd quarter.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
If in that huddle LeBeau instructed his guys to knock Kelce's brains out of his ears than his pep talk had a huge effect on the game.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

But seriously, lmao that Jeff Triplette actually refed a playoff game. What a clownball evening.

Enjoy the win Titans and another year of EXOTIC SMASHMOUTH.

Now for the Chiefs.

They have around 5 passable starters on Defense right now, so they are looking at a major Defensive rehaul.

Peters, Berry, Houston (I know this will spark a debate, but he's decent still and his cap hit still large), Ragland and Chris Jones.

The rest is replacement level to Frank Zombo (oh good god).

Beyond that the roster has terrible depth all over, maybe some loving day they will figure out the LG position and Mahomes needs a big target.

They need the picks and cap space Alex will bring to shore up a bad D. You had a good year mostly Alex, it's too bad you waited until the D was old and lovely.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 7, 2018

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Yeah, how is Triplett a playoff ref? That game was a gong show of officiating. I really do so why people say the reffing has made football nearly unwatchable.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

axeil posted:

I'm obviously not rooting FOR the Falcons.

But I could get behind the idea of a Saints/Falcons NFCCG in the Superdome if the Saints can win against the Panthers and the Vikings.

Be careful what you ask for.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hizawk posted:

Yeah, how is Triplett a playoff ref? That game was a gong show of officiating. I really do so why people say the reffing has made football nearly unwatchable.
Yeah the officiating was unbelievably bad in the Chief's-Titans game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rhix posted:

There was a moment shortly after Gruden's gushing over Smith that they mentioned Dick LeBeau gathering his players around him. It seemed to me all those screens and checkoffs were shut down from that point and the Chiefs offense really started to sputter. I was only kind of watching the game while doing something else, but that was my half-rear end take that LeBeau made a big adjustment in the 2nd quarter.

That huddle was after the Chiefs first touchdown drive, meaning the Titans gave up 2 more TDs in the half after that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah the officiating was unbelievably bad in the Chief's-Titans game.

I didn't notice that it was good or bad (I am bad at recognizing the penalties and try not to be presumptive) but I noticed there were not many penalties that game. Or rather, I thought I noticed that. The funny thing is if look at the box score it was 8 and 8 for 50 (Titans) and 68 (Chiefs) respectively. Not a lot of yards, but it sounds like a lot of flags for a playoff game.

Oddly enough, the Rams - Atlanta was 4 for 51 and 5 for 45, so way fewer flags but about the same yardage. I wondered what the average for a game was and if you use this you can see that 5 is about the low and 8 is about the high.

Why mention this? I dunno, it's mildly interesting to me.

Also, I was glad we got a Hochuli-ism after that post-presnap penalty review. It sort of helped. :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magnetic North posted:

I didn't notice that it was good or bad (I am bad at recognizing the penalties and try not to be presumptive) but I noticed there were not many penalties that game. Or rather, I thought I noticed that. The funny thing is if look at the box score it was 8 and 8 for 50 (Titans) and 68 (Chiefs) respectively. Not a lot of yards, but it sounds like a lot of flags for a playoff game.

Oddly enough, the Rams - Atlanta was 4 for 51 and 5 for 45, so way fewer flags but about the same yardage. I wondered what the average for a game was and if you use this you can see that 5 is about the low and 8 is about the high.

Why mention this? I dunno, it's mildly interesting to me.

Also, I was glad we got a Hochuli-ism after that post-presnap penalty review. It sort of helped. :shrug:
There was a Mariota fumble where he was ruled Down by Contact where the review showed that he clearly was not. The ball was recovered by the Chiefs and the player had room to run.
The 2 point try by the Titans after they took the lead should have been 2 points for the Chiefs because Mariota still wasnt wrapped up and was struggling - there were plenty of times this season that I saw plays go on WAY longer than that when the QB being wrapped up was in question.
Jonathan Cyprien is a lovely player that is a dirty chump cheap shotting bitch that should have been flagged for leading with the crown of his helmet on Kelce. If the NFL cared about player safety at all he should have been ejected....it would have been just as easy for Cyprien to tackle Kelce without using his helmet as a weapon.
There were a number of times I saw receivers of both teams get mugged by the other teams' secondary but there were never any flags.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

lol at the theory

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There was a Mariota fumble where he was ruled Down by Contact where the review showed that he clearly was not. The ball was recovered by the Chiefs and the player had room to run.
The 2 point try by the Titans after they took the lead should have been 2 points for the Chiefs because Mariota still wasnt wrapped up and was struggling - there were plenty of times this season that I saw plays go on WAY longer than that when the QB being wrapped up was in question.
Jonathan Cyprien is a lovely player that is a dirty chump cheap shotting bitch that should have been flagged for leading with the crown of his helmet on Kelce. If the NFL cared about player safety at all he should have been ejected....it would have been just as easy for Cyprien to tackle Kelce without using his helmet as a weapon.
There were a number of times I saw receivers of both teams get mugged by the other teams' secondary but there were never any flags.

Jeff Triplette and crew are bad officials, you say?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

well guess what

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/950023233377579009

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jeff Triplette and crew are bad officials, you say?

It's not his regular crew this game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This isn't really on Triplette directly but from a procedural standpoint there was a replacement ref level fuckup. There was one time the Titans were forced to use a challenge because the linesman forgot to spot the ball.

I mean he just flat didn't spot the ball thinking a penalty was going to wipe the play out, then once they picked up the flag they took a wild guess and spotted the ball a full two yards short of any point where the runner looked even close to down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Chiefs were a better team but Titans matched up about as well as they could against them. Titans have a big, nasty offensive line and a brusier power back and the Chiefs routinely field undersized two down d-linemen sets. It seriously felt like Henry was just gashing them for 6-8 yards a pop as the game went on and KC got more battered and tired from getting run all over the second half. Doesn't help the Chiefs' offense hung them out to dry.

Henry's really good and should be the Titans' starting RB next year.

• Locked thread