Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The science nerds, in an attempt to remain relevant, have announced that we're as close as we've ever been to annihilation. Post ITT if you hope they're right, or if you hope they're wrong, or if you love Iron Maiden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sXPmz9b4lM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/science/2018/01/25/doomsday-clock-ticks-closer-midnight/1064911001/

Nerds posted:

Scientists moved the hands of the symbolic "Doomsday Clock" closer to midnight on Thursday amid increasing worries over nuclear weapons and climate change.

The clock is now two minutes to midnight. “Because of the extraordinary danger of the current moment, the Science and Security Board today moves the minute hand of the Doomsday Clock 30 seconds closer to catastrophe," said Rachel Bronson, president of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. "This is the closest the Clock has ever been to Doomsday, and as close as it was in 1953, at the height of the Cold War.”

Each year, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, a non-profit group that sets the clock, decides whether the events of the previous year pushed humanity closer or farther from destruction.

The symbolic clock is now the closest it's been to midnight since 1953. It was also two minutes to midnight in 1953 when the hydrogen bomb was first tested.

"We've made the clear statement that we feel the world is getting more dangerous," said Lawrence Krauss, chair of the Bulletin's Board of Sponsors and director of Arizona State University's Origins Project. "The danger of nuclear conflagration is not the only reason the clock has been moved forward."

The announcement was made in Washington, D.C., at the National Press Club.

Scientists blamed a cocktail of threats ranging from dangerous political rhetoric to the potential of a nuclear threat as the catalysts for moving the clock closer toward doomsday.

The statement explaining the resetting of the time of the Doomsday Clock notes: “In 2017, world leaders failed to respond effectively to the looming threats of nuclear war and climate change, making the world security situation more dangerous than it was a year ago — and as dangerous as it has been since World War II.

"The greatest risks last year arose in the nuclear realm. North Korea’s nuclear weapons program appeared to make remarkable progress in 2017, increasing risks for itself, other countries in the region, and the United States," the statement continued.

"Hyperbolic rhetoric and provocative actions on both sides have increased the possibility of nuclear war by accident or miscalculation."

Hustlin Floh fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

We already have a Maiden thread.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
up the irons

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Welp time to participate in an orgy of carnage and lust before we die.

*plays WoW for 12 hours*

mrhappytongue
Oct 13, 2003

by Lowtax
They need to get a clock that works on batteries

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
hyperbolic rhetoric

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I wish I could get Vice City working again.

I dunno, seems like there are a lot of checks and balances that ensures that things stay teetering on the brink but never actually going full on doomsday.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

wow how long have you been holding on to that one?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I figure North Korea would wait until after the Winter Olympics to start the apocalypse.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

big nipples big life posted:

btw do we have a Megadeth thread yet?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Creamed Cormp posted:

btw do we have a Megadeth thread yet?

No and I'd prefer to keep it that way

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

feelix posted:

hyperbolic rhetoric

I shall respond with provocative actions.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Beefeater posted:

I shall respond with provocative actions.

Like moving the hands of a symbolic clock, perhaps?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zja3pcPMszc

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

feelix posted:

Like moving the hands of a symbolic clock, perhaps?

so provocative

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

wow how long have you been holding on to that one?

You probably won't believe me when I say I made it up on the spot.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

feelix posted:

No and I'd prefer to keep it that way

I promise we won't talk about Risk

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've been thinking recently that either nuclear war surely won't happen because of some kind of "all the world is a stage" moronic understanding between world leaders, or that it will happen, and it will NOT result in the global death storm so long predicted and instead the world is left to deal with multiple nuclear fall out sites and untold dead and higher cancer rates and obvious 'dealing with fallout' stuff both politically and physically without actually just "blowing the gently caress out of each other and killing everything" and then entering some kind of weird global depression period.

I'm not convinced either scenario is necessarily imminent or whatever, but...eessh.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i hope a nuke lands directly and exactly on my god drat BALLs!!!!!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
DJ Shadow - Midnight In A Perfect World [Gab Remix]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxK6GzfhuTo

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FP2al0VJEo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the true doomsday clock is probably at like 3pm at worst, on the first day

like two minutes to midnight should literally be "the moon is so close to the earth that it's destroying major cities with extreme weather patterns"

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

it's cool we still have 30 seconds to mars

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

i like that one dj shadow song midnight in a perfect world

im assuming its about nuclear fire

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

like two minutes to midnight should literally be "the greenhouse gases are so close to the earth that it's destroying major cities with extreme weather patterns"

hmm

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

industrial polluters: and this- is to go even further beyond- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*fifth hurricane of the year begins*

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
The climate isn't real.

The_end
May 17, 2014
Just bring it on already. I am tired of waiting.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
New Iron Maiden thread every day, just as it should be

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
gently caress two minutes to midnight

Give me some loving Thirty seconds to Mars!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can you put a price on peace?

Trump: "Absolutely."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdEupVsL07E

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I don't live in a major city so let the nukes fly.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So, the Doomsday clock is right 2 times a day?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So, the Doomsday clock is right 2 times a day?

it varies from person to person. some people poo poo once a day, or even less frequently than that

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Makes sense. All the clocks I own go forward.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Why is the analogy a clock if it can move both forward and backward

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

The White Dragon posted:

like two minutes to midnight should literally be "the moon is so close to the earth that it's destroying major cities with extreme weather patterns"

It's publicity. It's completely asinine to say we are as close to destruction as we were during the height of the cold war. we had actual close calls multiple times where one person's judgement was all that saved us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Minutes, surely.

• Locked thread