Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Somebody in the spider-man thread said there should be a spoiler thread.

so do you think otto was always an rear end in a top hat or did the neural links set his brain to evil or was it a mix of both. because i feel like its both. he was taking money from A.I.M and clearly planning poo poo for a while. i am guess the game takes place over maybe 3 months so there is time for him to make his plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I'll just copy-paste my first reply from the non-spoiler thread:

The ambiguity of Octavius's situation struck me. It could be that he was always a poo poo head, and the neural interface just allowed him to drop the mask more fully... but, heartbreakingly, there's the possibility that he isn't innately evil, and the circumstances plus his illness turned him into a monster. Octavius, it turns out, always knew Peter was Spider-Man, but he still helped Peter make a gadget, and he specifically tells the Six not to kill him during their breakout from RAFT. My personal interpretation is that Otto isn't inherently evil, but Peter didn't realize when Otto became evil until it was like ten days too late. He went nuts sometime prior to the new inventory showing up, and his phone calls indicate that he was getting progressively more paranoid and deranged. The "defense contracts" and "working for the city to upgrade the RAFT" are, in retrospect, obviously lies, but Otto also doesn't seem to actively try to kill Peter until he is fully off the rails - indicating that he genuinely did love Peter in a twisted fashion.

Some character stuff I loving loved:
  • Miles. Insomniac changed some stuff, but Miles is just so adorable and cool at the same time in this game - genuinely brave and a smart kid. I love Peter too much to say I'd like to see him replaced as the protagonist, but having Miles be optionally playable or in some... maybe multiplayer fashion? -- I don't know, but I love Miles and I hope you can be him in future games or DLC.
  • Mary Jane was actually cool. She was frustrating at times because of her steadfast determination to throw herself into situations where she'd definitely die, since she doesn't have superpowers, but I liked her dialog explaining why she does that (and also why she has difficulty with Peter, since she doesn't want to be the one who "always gets saved."
  • JJ being a crazy Alex Jones crackpot was a deft way to handle him and his podcasts are funny sometimes, which is about all I could ask for regarding his character. Having Parker not work at the Bugle anymore makes him more bearable even as he's insisting that the city is hosed because of Spidey, and then his recanting at the end (the post-game podcast where he says "Spider-Man got it right") was kinda cute.
  • Yuri in general, and especially her post-game phone call where she does the "Spider-Cop" voice. It's great. Yuri was cool as hell.
  • May dying was gutwrenching. I felt awful, and Peter choosing the city over his own aunt was such a heartbreaking moment that was really well executed. Pathos earned.

Good God what an excellent game.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 10, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I'll just copy-paste my first reply from the non-spoiler thread:

The ambiguity of Octavius's situation struck me. It could be that he was always a poo poo head, and the neural interface just allowed him to drop the mask more fully... but, heartbreakingly, there's the possibility that he isn't innately evil, and the circumstances plus his illness turned him into a monster. Octavius, it turns out, always knew Peter was Spider-Man, but he still helped Peter make a gadget, and he specifically tells the Six not to kill him during their breakout from RAFT. My personal interpretation is that Otto isn't inherently evil, but Peter didn't realize when Otto became evil until it was like ten days too late. He went nuts sometime prior to the new inventory showing up, and his phone calls indicate that he was getting progressively more paranoid and deranged. The "defense contracts" and "working for the city to upgrade the RAFT" are, in retrospect, obviously lies, but Otto also doesn't seem to actively try to kill Peter until he is fully off the rails - indicating that he genuinely did love Peter in a twisted fashion.

Some character stuff I loving loved:
[list][*]Miles. Insomniac changed some stuff, but Miles is just so adorable and cool at the same time in this game - genuinely brave and a smart kid. I love Peter too much to say I'd like to see him replaced as the protagonist, but having Miles be optionally playable or in some... maybe multiplayer fashion? -- I don't know, but I love Miles and I hope you can be him in future games or DLC.[*]Mary Jane was actually cool. She was frustrating at times because of her steadfast determination to throw herself into situations where she'd definitely die, since she doesn't have superpowers, but I liked her dialog explaining why she does that (and also why she has difficulty with Peter, since she doesn't want to be the one who "always gets saved."[*]JJ being a crazy Alex Jones crackpot was a deft way to handle him and his podcasts are funny sometimes, which is about all I could ask for regarding his character. Having Parker not work at the Bugle anymore makes him more bearable even as he's insisting that the city is hosed because of Spidey, and then his recanting at the end (the post-game podcast where he says "Spider-Man got it right") was kinda cute.[*]Yuri in general, and especially her post-game phone call where she does the "Spider-Cop" voice. It's great. Yuri was cool as hell.[*]May dying was gutwrenching. I felt awful, and Peter choosing the city over his own aunt was such a heartbreaking moment that was really well executed. Pathos earned.

Good God what an excellent game.

yeah, i was surprised how good the story was. i wish it had a few more side villains but tombstone is great and his best interpretation of him. and taskmasker is basically the riddler.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i was surprised how good the story was. i wish it had a few more side villains but tombstone is great and his best interpretation of him. and taskmasker is basically the riddler.

Taskmaster was a cool distraction, and his first encounter surprised me pretty bad. I was just swinging around and then wham, grappled, time to fight a boss.

His copying of your finishers and poo poo was similarly awesome, and I hope he comes back in the updates and sequel. Please make a sequel Insomniac.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

guts and bolts posted:

JJ being a crazy Alex Jones crackpot was a deft way to handle him and his podcasts are funny sometimes, which is about all I could ask for regarding his character. Having Parker not work at the Bugle anymore makes him more bearable even as he's insisting that the city is hosed because of Spidey, and then his recanting at the end (the post-game podcast where he says "Spider-Man got it right") was kinda cute

He does say that Spider Man only got it right because "he listened to me." It's really a non apology and JJ twisting things around to make the narrative that he is always right.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Friendly Fire posted:

He does say that Spider Man only got it right because "he listened to me." It's really a non apology and JJ twisting things around to make the narrative that he is always right.

Oh yeah, he's still JJ and a huge dick. But he seems to be a good mix of avarice and concern - he's an egomaniac who always has to be right, but I think he does care about the city and its people. Probably. Maybe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

Taskmaster was a cool distraction, and his first encounter surprised me pretty bad. I was just swinging around and then wham, grappled, time to fight a boss.

His copying of your finishers and poo poo was similarly awesome, and I hope he comes back in the updates and sequel. Please make a sequel Insomniac.

oh yeah, the game is apparently selling like gangbusters and it seems they may try to make a full marvel universe in this universe. least i hope so. marvel video game universe.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I hope they do a Daredevil game with the Spider-Man map of New York, but the whole thing's got a "radar sense" filter that makes it look like a red wireframe image.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The ending of the game being a massive middle finger to the One More Day comic storyline really cinched it for me.

People in the other thread were talking about how genuinely heroic this game makes Peter, and that's probably my favorite (narrative) thing about it. Peter loses his apartment, his job and his relationships trying to do the right thing, but the game never goes like, super grimdark with it, even with the third act. He's Spider-Man, he's going to do his damnedest, and he's going to make his dumb jokes the whole way too.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The ending of the game being a massive middle finger to the One More Day comic storyline really cinched it for me.

People in the other thread were talking about how genuinely heroic this game makes Peter, and that's probably my favorite (narrative) thing about it. Peter loses his apartment, his job and his relationships trying to do the right thing, but the game never goes like, super grimdark with it, even with the third act. He's Spider-Man, he's going to do his damnedest, and he's going to make his dumb jokes the whole way too.

Yeah, I brought up that Spider-Man makes Peter genuinely heroic, and it's maybe one of the best elements of the game. It gets dark, and there's tragedy (it's fuckin' Spider-Man after all), but it never feels hopeless, and Peter is historically defined by his ability to dust himself off and get back up. It helps that the game doesn't shy away from giving him a solid support network of characters like Miles and MJ and Yuri, and even Sable comes around a bit via phone call before loving off to Symkaria (and, conveniently, not having enough control over her troops to pull them back home with her).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

it gets dark but it never gets unrealistically so. also what happens to Li? is he in jail again or dead. and were all his men brainwashed or where they just criminals he smuggled in from china and then put under control with his powers.

there is big theme of nature of evil that the games talks about in cool ways. like with li, otto, the inner daemons, Osborn. etc.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

even Sable comes around a bit via phone call before loving off to Symkaria (and, conveniently, not having enough control over her troops to pull them back home with her).

I'm still kind of miffed we didn't get a proper Sable fight, but I think she's being saved for DLC?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it gets dark but it never gets unrealistically so. also what happens to Li? is he in jail again or dead. and were all his men brainwashed or where they just criminals he smuggled in from china and then put under control with his powers.

One of the demon bases has a conversation you can listen in on that suggests most of the rank-and-file Inner Demons were triad members that Li put the whammy on.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I'm still kind of miffed we didn't get a proper Sable fight, but I think she's being saved for DLC?

I don't think she'll come back as a true villain, much in the same way I don't think Black Cat will be the actual overarching villain for The Heist; it would be a weird tonal shift to have Sable go back home to ruminate on her life choices, resolve that killing people and enacting a fascist tyrant-mayor's agenda were the correct approaches, and return to New York to kill Peter. She was inspired by his heroism - she will likely come back to settle some other business, and Spidey will lend a hand. Historically speaking Sable and Spidey are usually (sometimes uneasy) allies anyway, so there's that.

Likewise with Felicia. I think she'll have a "starring" role in The Heist in the sense that Spider-Man will have to contend with her reckless thievery and she'll be important to the sub-story, but I doubt she'll be the actual Big Bad we have to deal with. Given how excellent Insomniac was with hiding who the actual main villain of this game even was until release day, and I think we're in for more surprises - Mysterio being the villain for one DLC update, Sandman or Lizard showing up for another, etc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wanderer posted:

One of the demon bases has a conversation you can listen in on that suggests most of the rank-and-file Inner Demons were triad members that Li put the whammy on.

yeah, thats what i assumed. i like that Li was much like ock kinda of a secret rear end in a top hat. also were his powers from osborn or was that just a legit accident with his parents.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I don't think she'll come back as a true villain, much in the same way I don't think Black Cat will be the actual overarching villain for The Heist; it would be a weird tonal shift to have Sable go back home to ruminate on her life choices, resolve that killing people and enacting a fascist tyrant-mayor's agenda were the correct approaches, and return to New York to kill Peter. She was inspired by his heroism - she will likely come back to settle some other business, and Spidey will lend a hand. Historically speaking Sable and Spidey are usually (sometimes uneasy) allies anyway, so there's that.

Likewise with Felicia. I think she'll have a "starring" role in The Heist in the sense that Spider-Man will have to contend with her reckless thievery and she'll be important to the sub-story, but I doubt she'll be the actual Big Bad we have to deal with. Given how excellent Insomniac was with hiding who the actual main villain of this game even was until release day, and I think we're in for more surprises - Mysterio being the villain for one DLC update, Sandman or Lizard showing up for another, etc.

i think hammerhead or silvermane will be the villain of the turf war one.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm iffy on Norman, Otto, and Li's villainous backstories all being interconnected like they are, and was kinda hoping for more action from the other villains than we got (Mister Negative's cool but he's not that cool). Other than that, game was loving good.

It hit me that Peter lost his uncle by being a selfish rear end in a top hat, but lost his aunt by being the opposite. Dude can't win.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm iffy on Norman, Otto, and Li's villainous backstories all being interconnected like they are, and was kinda hoping for more action from the other villains than we got (Mister Negative's cool but he's not that cool). Other than that, game was loving good.

It hit me that Peter lost his uncle by being a selfish rear end in a top hat, but lost his aunt by being the opposite. Dude can't win.

Norman being the source of all evil is a little heavy-handed but it sorta fits, and it helps elevate the eventual Green Goblin encounter from another surrogate father figure of Peter's breaking bad to "this guy is why my life loving sucks." Consider that Norman is the reason why his aunt is dead, why two of his heroes became insane terrorists, and has probably turned his childhood friend into Venom, and it's a logical way to raise the stakes for when Norman himself ultimately turns to supervillainy. Fighting Green Goblin will be suitably epic because of everything Norman did; and if Green Goblin and Venom both show up in a sequel, he'll be a satisfying final boss and allow the two (Venom and Spider-Man) to team up and fight him.

It's funny to me that Norman is basically Bruce Wayne in a lot of respects, except the narrative doesn't cut him any slack. He surveils New York and does all sorts of wonky experimenting within the city limits, he has nearly limitless resources and develops his own prototypes of highly effective combat equipment, and he has a son who is sometimes evil. (Okay, stretching a little with the last one.) But still, this game was so incredible (and I platinumed it so quickly) that I am chomping at the bit for more and it's literally been four days since it released.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

Norman being the source of all evil is a little heavy-handed but it sorta fits, and it helps elevate the eventual Green Goblin encounter from another surrogate father figure of Peter's breaking bad to "this guy is why my life loving sucks." Consider that Norman is the reason why his aunt is dead, why two of his heroes became insane terrorists, and has probably turned his childhood friend into Venom, and it's a logical way to raise the stakes for when Norman himself ultimately turns to supervillainy. Fighting Green Goblin will be suitably epic because of everything Norman did; and if Green Goblin and Venom both show up in a sequel, he'll be a satisfying final boss and allow the two (Venom and Spider-Man) to team up and fight him.

It's funny to me that Norman is basically Bruce Wayne in a lot of respects, except the narrative doesn't cut him any slack. He surveils New York and does all sorts of wonky experimenting within the city limits, he has nearly limitless resources and develops his own prototypes of highly effective combat equipment, and he has a son who is sometimes evil. (Okay, stretching a little with the last one.) But still, this game was so incredible (and I platinumed it so quickly) that I am chomping at the bit for more and it's literally been four days since it released.

what was the expiriment with li anyway. it was clearly before harry was born so it can't from his fanatical effort to keep his son alive. like i like that devils breath is genuinely supposed to be a wonder drug but its leathal as gently caress because norman can;t accept that it doesnt work.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what was the expiriment with li anyway. it was clearly before harry was born so it can't from his fanatical effort to keep his son alive. like i like that devils breath is genuinely supposed to be a wonder drug but its leathal as gently caress because norman can;t accept that it doesnt work.

They mention that Harry's mom died of the same thing, I think? If she died before he finished, it's all the more motivation for him to crazy trying to help Harry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing I was most disappointed about in the game is that they spend so much time leading up to Miles being bitten right before the climax and Miles actually learning to stand up and fight... and then we don't get Miles actually Spider-Manning in this game, which feels kinda inappropriate considering the context of the game. I kept expecting a last-minute run-in during the fight with Octopus to sort of be "and here Peter's mentoring pays off while he's confronting his evil mentor" or something. Or at least SOME interaction with Mister Negative considering he murdered Miles' dad and all.

I really like Miles but honestly he kinda feels like too much sequel setup.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

guts and bolts posted:

I quite like how Norman fits into the storyline. Sure he is the catalyst triggering a lot of the bad poo poo going down but one of his prime motivations is the loss of his wife and trying to save his son from the same fate. It adds a little more depth than just super rich dude does dodgy poo poo because corporations are evil. I mean, sure there are shades of that as well but it's not the only reason for things as they are.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think it was about Harry's mother, who died of the same illness. Norman mentions in the stinger that he tried to save her and failed; it stands to reason that he got his hands on the remaining spiders in the project that made Peter into Spider-Man, went crazy iterating out experiments with those fuckers, and wound up discovering Mr. Negative Particles or whatever and killed Martin's parents (using Martin as the weapon, sadly). Norman's ruthlessness is cut slightly by this obvious weakness for his family - when you break into his penthouse suite, MJ can find a tape recorder where he genuinely and dearly misses his dead wife, and his intentions to save Harry from that fate seem similarly sincere. He's just a loving dick about it, and doesn't care if a bunch of plebes die for the cause. This Norman is far less cartoonishly evil than his typical depiction, and I like that.

EDIT:

Friendly Fire posted:

I quite like how Norman fits into the storyline. Sure he is the catalyst triggering a lot of the bad poo poo going down but one of his prime motivations is the loss of his wife and trying to save his son from the same fate. It adds a little more depth than just super rich dude does dodgy poo poo because corporations are evil. I mean, sure there are shades of that as well but it's not the only reason for things as they are.

I think you posted this as I was writing, and that's pretty much my exact take. I liked Norman and how he's being built up to be the main villain, but he's not such a grinning lunatic - he has sympathetic motivations and deeply unsympathetic actions to achieve his goals. He's still a bad guy and it'll be cool to beat him up, but it'll also be cool to not kill him because he's just the world's most protective rear end in a top hat dad.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing I was most disappointed about in the game is that they spend so much time leading up to Miles being bitten right before the climax and Miles actually learning to stand up and fight... and then we don't get Miles actually Spider-Manning in this game, which feels kinda inappropriate considering the context of the game. I kept expecting a last-minute run-in during the fight with Octopus to sort of be "and here Peter's mentoring pays off while he's confronting his evil mentor" or something. Or at least SOME interaction with Mister Negative considering he murdered Miles' dad and all.

I really like Miles but honestly he kinda feels like too much sequel setup.

The context of the game seems to be that it was re-introducing Spider-Man to quality videogaming. I think it would have been a bit much to include Miles in the game if only because Insomniac seems willing to go the extra mile in every way; Miles would require a slightly different move set, slightly different powers, a whole new model, his own out-of-cutscene banter and such, etc. It would have been a lot to bite off and chew. As it is, I'm hyped that we're probably going to see Miles and Peter working together, since usually they're either not alive at the same time or not in the same universe. It's definitely sequel setup, but I liked how it was handled overall, and I absolutely loved this game's take on Miles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

The context of the game seems to be that it was re-introducing Spider-Man to quality videogaming. I think it would have been a bit much to include Miles in the game if only because Insomniac seems willing to go the extra mile in every way; Miles would require a slightly different move set, slightly different powers, a whole new model, his own out-of-cutscene banter and such, etc. It would have been a lot to bite off and chew. As it is, I'm hyped that we're probably going to see Miles and Peter working together, since usually they're either not alive at the same time or not in the same universe. It's definitely sequel setup, but I liked how it was handled overall, and I absolutely loved this game's take on Miles.

If that was the case then I think they probably should have spent a bit less time on the spider-bite leadup... or hell (as much as I loved the post credit scene) make the post-credit scene "Miles gets bitten" instead. It's kind of distracting when it comes before the climax and feels like it's leading up to something.

It's not a huge complaint just a bit disappointing because I really like this version of Miles and don't want to have to wait for Spider-Man 2 on PS5 to see him Spidering it up.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

ImpAtom posted:

If that was the case then I think they probably should have spent a bit less time on the spider-bite leadup... or hell (as much as I loved the post credit scene) make the post-credit scene "Miles gets bitten" instead. It's kind of distracting when it comes before the climax and feels like it's leading up to something.

It's not a huge complaint just a bit disappointing because I really like this version of Miles and don't want to have to wait for Spider-Man 2 on PS5 to see him Spidering it up.

I have kind of the same thought regarding all the Black Cat stuff being a setup for DLC. Like, I went through all that, and she doesn't even physically show up? Please pay 9.99 in a month or so to continue this storyline

I mean, I probably will, but come on

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, since they re-used the Sunset Overdrive engine to make this game and seem to have the gist of things down pat, I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel was greenlit very quickly (this game is apparently selling a gorillion copies) and we saw Spider-Man 2: Spider Harder before the next console releases. In any case I agree that having Miles get bitten pre-ending may have been sending mixed signals - I myself had an "oh poo poo we're gonna get to be Miles!??!?" moment - but the game is just so good that I don't care. And also Peter is my favorite Spidey, with Miles as a close second, and Peter is so human and cool and good in this game that it's hard to be disappointed that I play as him.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I have kind of the same thought regarding all the Black Cat stuff being a setup for DLC. Like, I went through all that, and she doesn't even physically show up? Please pay 9.99 in a month or so to continue this storyline

I mean, I probably will, but come on

This did sort of annoy me. For Felicia to not even show up means that -- okay, so I'll take Intihar at his word when he said (or someone at Insomniac said) that The Heist wasn't chopped out of the main game, it was developed in parallel by other teammates and it wouldn't have been ready by launch and blah blah. That, to me, means that the meager Black Cat sidequests we got were implemented at a point when they KNEW that that was the approach they'd have to take - they added some low-fidelity porcelain cats to the world, you take pictures of them basically using the in-game photography, and presto, a whole Black Cat sidequest to hype people up for the DLC. It doesn't annoy me very much, but it isn't great execution.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 11, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
The Aunt May thing really hit me because I thought I was soooo smart by connecting Aunt May's situation with Amazing #33 and that i'd probably have to lift some rubble and mad dash to save Aunt May. Welp. Swerve.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The Aunt May thing really hit me because I thought I was soooo smart by connecting Aunt May's situation with Amazing #33 and that i'd probably have to lift some rubble and mad dash to save Aunt May. Welp. Swerve.

yeah i liked this version of aunt may too. she comes off as a realistic and kind person. i always like it when they go with aunt may knew he was spider-man the whole time but is just waiting for him to say it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I do hope for the sequel we get more side villains/heroes from the comics for Spidey to interact with.

It was cool to see Taskmaster who is probably one of my favorite merc characters in the Marvel universe.

I also know its probably because of the rights issues, but I wish the Baxter Building was in the NYC skyline.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm fine with saving Miles for the next game. He does have different powers than Peter, so I think they need to design the game with that in mind. It'd be cool to be able to switch between them at will and tackle missions differently depending on who is used, though I'm sure there will be parts where you have to play as one or the other. But Miles can be more stealth-based while Peter can be more combat-oriented.

And hey, maybe the Baxter Building is there! Just in another borough! Or invisible!

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
In regards to doctor Octavius I think the game did a good job of showing you when he 'turned' and that was when he started taking money from A.I.M.

He was always bitter and harbouring his issues with what he and Osborne did. As the game progresses his illness progressed and he simply became more angry, bitter and aimed that at the person whom could be considered a primary cause for it, at least in part.

Before the A.I.M. scene he was still the man whom knowing he was ill was trying to do good for others. After that he aims his anger at Osborne and loses it. I actually think spideys choice to leave him is what is going to make him the 'mad' doctor we know and love from prior material in future games. There was still an aspect of the good doctor we knew left in him at the end of the game but parkers choice to leave him is going to fester in prison making spiderman his main nemesis and creating a good anchor of guilt for parker in future storylines. Some of the best 'villians' are ones that are more relatable and often created in part by the hero themselves.

Norman was written so well. It really makes you think if the means justify the end. Wouldn't you do what was possible to save your son? Even more so if your wife had already died due to a degenerative genetic variation? He didn't seem evil, crazy or desperate to me. You start of hating him like you would most politicians whom seem to be using you for their own means and it ends with you understanding that things are more complex than that. He's a 'good' man who's desperate to save his son. I can't wait to see the fall of his character in the next game and the changing of his son. So many opportunities for good writing.

I kind of wish there was some more of fisk, even if it was just another ending scene.

Can't wait for any future miles gameplay. I wonder if that will be a small part of the dlc or if they will save it in full for the next game.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 11, 2018

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Catsplosion posted:

In regards to doctor Octavius I think the game did a good job of showing you when he 'turned' and that was when he started taking money from A.I.M.

He was always bitter and harbouring his issues with what he and Osborne did. As the game progresses his illness progressed and he simply became more angry, bitter and aimed that at the person whom could be considered a primary cause for it, at least in part.

Before the A.I.M. scene he was still the man whom knowing he was ill was trying to do good for others. After that he aims his anger at Osborne and loses it. I actually think spideys choice to leave him is what is going to make him the 'mad' doctor we know and love from prior material in future games. There was still an aspect of the good doctor we knew left in him at the end of the game but parkers choice to leave him is going to fester in prison making spiderman his main nemesis and creating a good anchor of guilt for parker in future storylines. Some of the best 'villians' are ones that are more relatable and often created in part by the hero themselves.

Norman was written so well. It really makes you think if the means justify the end. Wouldn't you do what was possible to save your son? Even more so if your wife had already died due to a degenerative genetic variation? He didn't seem evil, crazy or desperate to me. You start of hating him like you would most politicians whom seem to be using you for their own means and it ends with you understanding that things are more complex than that. He's a 'good' man who's desperate to save his son. I can't wait to see the fall of his character in the next game and the changing of his son. So many opportunities for good writing.

I kind of wish there was some more of fisk, even if it was just another ending scene.

Can't wait for any future miles gameplay. I wonder if that will be a small part of the dlc or if they will save it in full for the next game.
can't say i agree with this, it seemed clear to me he was just trying to manipulate Peter

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

can't say i agree with this, it seemed clear to me he was just trying to manipulate Peter

yeah. he was still a evil gently caress, he was just trying to get peter to feel bad for him and put the chip back in. personally, i think the good doctor died the second Norman walked in and took all his poo poo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's kind of interesting that after the games theme of duality (Peter/Spidey, Otto/Doc Ock, and most obviously Li/Mr Negative) they don't seem to be setting up for that theme with Miles (he's not between his cop dad and criminal uncle here) or Venom, since he seems to not be set up as a symbiote (so no "we are Venom")

I guess I've come round to it being Harry as Venom, I though the stuff in the tank referenced Kaine's outfit.

Maybe the next game will be "Spider-Men" with Peter, Miles and Harry? Maybe get an interation or two of Spider Woman in there. So long as we get all the cool outfits, what with no black/Symbiote one here, which might be the clearest indication they have plans for Venom. Maybe before we see Green Goblin.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

we're definitely getting Green Goblin in the sequel or the game after. There's a lot of obviously going to be green goblin tech in two of the Mary Jane sections. Off the top of my head I saw the Glider, Helmet, Bombs, Stealth Field and some combat enhancing drugs that are probably going to be what makes him into the psycho we know and love to hate.

Just needs something to push him over the edge, guessing at Harry's treatment going wrong or him sacrificing himself or something.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

we're definitely getting Green Goblin in the sequel or the game after. There's a lot of obviously going to be green goblin tech in two of the Mary Jane sections. Off the top of my head I saw the Glider, Helmet, Bombs, Stealth Field and some combat enhancing drugs that are probably going to be what makes him into the psycho we know and love to hate.

Just needs something to push him over the edge, guessing at Harry's treatment going wrong or him sacrificing himself or something.

One of the post-game JJJ rants mentions Osborn being forced to resign as mayor in disgrace, so if the Oscorp board comes calling too, there we go.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I really liked this game being Miles' origin story rather than Peter's. We all know the story of Peter Parker and we don't need it told again, and I'm glad they recognized it.

That ending though. Holy poo poo I knew it was coming and it still hit me really hard. The writing really hit its stride in the last act.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Regarding Octavius:

I think he's a fundamentally good person who does supremely stupid-rear end things, and I'm not convinced he fully grasps the consequences of his experiments until they hit him in the face; he did not appear to be aware that the tests on Li would kill Li's parents and he resigned from Oscorp over ethical disputes with Norman about the direction of the company. He also builds a gadget for Peter and explicitly tells the Six not to kill him when they're breaking out of the Raft, so I believe he had some sentiment welled up for Parker, especially considering he apparently knew he was Spider-Man. The ending is ambiguous because while I think he probably was manipulating Peter slightly, I don't think he was manipulating him entirely, and I don't think he was always a shithead - he was a man who genuinely wanted to help people with his prostheses and a combination of his bitterness and persecution complex (plus a malfunctioning neural interface) resulted in him becoming Doc Ock. He unquestionably became evil, but I don't think he was always evil.

Regarding sequel theorizing:

I think Harry is Venom and will begin as an antagonist, but not end up that way. I doubt he'll be playable, though he could be; I imagine most of the game will be Peter and Miles teaming up to deal with the duumvirate of Harry!Venom and Norman as the Green Goblin, with Venom switching sides near the climax of the story to help take down his evil dad and become more anti-heroic and vigilante-murderer, which aligns with what usually happens to Venom anyway. Since Miles doesn't have the same repertoire of suits that Peter does - history and all that - they'd either have to manufacture a bunch of new designs for the sequel game, or (more likely in my opinion) make Miles an optionally playable sidekick, where he is a mechanically a "suit" that you equip and now bam, you're Miles instead of Peter, with a different moveset and slightly different powers and finishers and takedowns but probably not his own skill tree. Alternatively, it could be a situation where there are two fully fleshed out protagonists with their own skill trees but the suit mechanics are downplayed, and each of the Spider-Men get their own fish to fry - Peter dealing chiefly with Harry, and Miles dealing chiefly with Norman, or something, and you alternate between them either at will or as the story demands. I don't know. Spitballing mostly. They could go full-on into the Miles thing and have Peter not be playable, but Peter is so popular and so many people love him as Spider-Man that it seems unlikely they'd do that, so who knows.

I do expect that a lot of the side villains will appear as sub-quests or, sadly, DLC expansions centered mostly on them; it would allow the narrative to focus exclusively on the Osborns, which they likely deserve considering their importance to the plot (Norman) or the fact that they're Venom (Harry), and give those stories room to breathe. Also, burying the lede I guess, but I fully expect this to be at least a trilogy of games a la the Arkham titles, where Spidey 2 probably arrives before the next hardware update, and Spidey 3 is a PS5-era title. All reports indicate that this game is basically printing money for Sony and Marvel, and it would be foolish not to entrust Insomniac with another title when they've demonstrated that they both care about the source material and the quality of the product they're releasing.

Some unrelated musing:

I wonder if the reason why Spider-Man is a PS4 exclusive is owing to some side-deal with bringing Spidey back into the MCU. Sony held the movie rights and a lot of the leverage, and while Amazing Spider-Man movies weren't very good, I don't think they were unprofitable; maybe they made a deal where they get a certain percentage of the movie take, but also went to Marvel saying "Hey, if you ever want to make AAA Spider-Man games, those have to go to Sony since we're doing you a solid here" or blah blah. Does anyone know the details of how that deal got made?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
One of my favorite JJJ things in this game is the Bugle going Away Letter for Peter and Jonah just had to make sure all he had to do was sign his name bigger than everyone else and to make sure it was smack dab in the middle :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Friendly Fire posted:

By the time I got to Osborne's office and saw what Devil's Breath was I thought the story's direction was going to be that Osborne was doing everything to find a cure for Otto because he knew about his disease already. It being Harry who was horribly sick was a big surprise.

Also, woof, what a downer to end the game on. Jefferson Davis was so loving cool for the mission we had him in and then they kill him and after getting through that section hoping the story wasn't going to the direction of black kid dealing with a loss of a father.

And just like with the Arkham series, I can't help but wish they'd put half this much effort into their other stable of characters. Everyone knows the Batman and Spider-Man origin story right? Well, what about Damian Wayne? SpiderWoman? Spider-Gwen? There's options available to maybe make people interested in the extended assortment of heroes around here!

• Locked thread