Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
and the dues already paid for themselves because the union negotiated a pay raise for us and kept them from jacking up our healthcare insurance costs. there was tasty food and this cool guy gave a speech about how Arnold and the Koch bros. can suck a dead dog's dick in hell. also I got a sweet eye insurance plan and free life insurance for my family. and I got a free shirt. it was the best meeting I've ever been to at work.

are you in a union? why not? start a union! radicalized your coworkers!

UNION - [X] YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
actually i heard that unions were bad because then i cant negotiate for a raise im stuck with what the union bargained for

surely i have as much bargaining power as the rest of the employees combined

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In general I would say that owns, OP.
Granted there are great unions, good unions, and some shady ones I'm sure (or branches of ones), but overall - cool. Good for you.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
twist: the OP joined a police union

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Quite the opposite I'm a public defender

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hell yeah give me some money

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
feel free to post job openings itt from ur locals

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

unions are good poo poo, and i'm glad you're digging yours. mine is currently extremely contentious, and on hte verge of fragmenting, which i don't even know what that looks like, especially with janus now and people talking about free-riding.

it's real hosed up, so what i'm saying, op, is stay involved, and pay attention. mine is extremely time consuming rn, but it's important work.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

double negative posted:

unions are good poo poo, and i'm glad you're digging yours. mine is currently extremely contentious, and on hte verge of fragmenting, which i don't even know what that looks like, especially with janus now and people talking about free-riding.

it's real hosed up, so what i'm saying, op, is stay involved, and pay attention. mine is extremely time consuming rn, but it's important work.

well its not like today was my first day so I have been free riding and I feel pretty lovely about it. I think lack of awareness is the biggest problem. as soon as we knew we could a lot of us joined today. I live in a shithole state so people don't talk about it openly enough. they call it an organization because union is a dirty word here

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Was there anyone against being in the union?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

enjoy it while it lasts!

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Son of Man posted:

and the dues already paid for themselves because the union negotiated a pay raise for us and kept them from jacking up our healthcare insurance costs. there was tasty food and this cool guy gave a speech about how Arnold and the Koch bros. can suck a dead dog's dick in hell. also I got a sweet eye insurance plan and free life insurance for my family. and I got a free shirt. it was the best meeting I've ever been to at work.

I actually don't need a union and all that cool stuff because my manager has an open door policy. Jealous? :smug:

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Unions should be illegal according to antitrust law

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
no one spoke out against the union. there is one dude who told me he was anti union when we were talking about the UAW one time but he joined the union today. I guess I could have been all smug about it but instead I welcomed my new comrade with open arms!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Question Friend posted:

Lol gently caress you, scab.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
my fetish is to find a workplace with great benefits, wages, and working conditions and then work 100 hours a week for minimum wage to try and get as many unionized workers laid off as possible.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.
well i got something to say
I joined a union today,
and it doesn't matter much to me
how much i pay

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
as an independent contractor let me say congratulations and i hope you continue to support universal healthcare even though you've now got yours

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Question Friend posted:

gently caress off bootlicker

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I did a thing posted:

I joined a union today,
how much i pay

Sweet lovely theft,
I am loving all this grift
Lovely theft
My union owns

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

I did a thing posted:

I joined a union today,
how much i pay

Mommy, can I go out and picket tonight?

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not actually against unions that's just a weird thought that occurred to me, that unions are trusts but for workers instead of owners

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
to Mr. contractor:

yeah I still want universal health care. I have a great affordable plan that covers everything my family needs but health insurance is still a ripoff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
kill all scabs

and also all conservatives

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jack London posted:

After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, the vampire, He had some awful substance left with which He made a scab.

A scab is a two-legged animal with a cork-screw soul, a water-logged brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles.

When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the Devil shuts the gates of Hell to keep him out.

No man has a right to scab so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with. Judas Iscariot was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself. A scab has not.

Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. Judas Iscariot sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver. Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commission in the British Army. The modern strikebreaker sells his birthright, his country, his wife, his children and his fellow men for an unfulfilled promise from his employer, trust or corporation.

Esau was a traitor to himself: Judas Iscariot was a traitor to his God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country; a strikebreaker is a traitor to his God, his country, his wife, his family and his class.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I'm a teamster it's not a good union but it's better than none.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
I would kill for a legit tech union. Or even a real professional society like docs (ACM and IEEE do fuckall for workers, unlike the AMA). I'm seeing some sympathy lately for unions among the <40 set, but the Xer's who slid in before the dotcom bust thanks to a rudimentary knowledge of Perl all think they are gods among men and unions are for plebs

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I JOINED A CONFEDERACY TODAY

a confederacy of dunces!!!!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grimoire posted:

I would kill for a legit tech union. Or even a real professional society like docs (ACM and IEEE do fuckall for workers, unlike the AMA). I'm seeing some sympathy lately for unions among the <40 set, but the Xer's who slid in before the dotcom bust thanks to a rudimentary knowledge of Perl all think they are gods among men and unions are for plebs

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868302

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Was working with Game Workers Unite but I got sick and can't work for the rest of the year. Really want to unionize the game industry.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Grimoire posted:

yeah I really hope people are smartening up. most of the young guys joined up today and I tried to grab the rest who missed the meeting. no gen xers though

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Let's say I want to get the benefits of a union but want to be exempt from union dues. What are my options?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Let's say I want to get the benefits of a union but want to be exempt from union dues. What are my options?

don’t be a bitch and support your union

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

A Typical Goon posted:

don’t be a bitch and support your union

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i'm in a very good union and i like it a lot

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

To reconsider and not be a loving scab-rear end bastard.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

the chop, the bullet, or the garrote

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the chop, the bullet, or the garrote

Usurp union boss? Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Siljmonster posted:

Was working with Game Workers Unite but I got sick and can't work for the rest of the year. Really want to unionize the game industry.

drat I had no idea there was a movement. What are the details? I just joined the IWW and gaymes are my dumb industry

• Locked thread