Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
-There's 100+ units but the only laundry facility has half of the machines broken, constantly
-A lot of those machines aren't labeled so it's a crapshoot
-No quarters machine
-Can't check mail or do laundry after 9 pm
-Rent is kind of high
-No dogs
-Can't smoke inside like God intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My landlord is a huge company that has dozens of buildings so I never see anyone from them and everything is mega standardized. It’s easy and no problems. Maybe you should do this too.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
landlord is a faceless company that has no emotions

also they run sprinklers every day and night for 2 hours (total 4 hours) to keep the lawns green even when it's the middle of a dry summer and they charge you money for the water and you literally can't tell them not to water the lawn, so my water bill shoots up every summer

if I tamper with the sprinklers I could get evicted

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dead Beef posted:

landlord is a faceless company that has no emotions

also they run sprinklers every day and night for 2 hours (total 4 hours) to keep the lawns green even when it's the middle of a dry summer and they charge you money for the water and you literally can't tell them not to water the lawn, so my water bill shoots up every summer

if I tamper with the sprinklers I could get evicted
if you get caught

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
married with 4 kids, the mom screams and swears at the kids all the time. they also blast loud Yahweh techno music with the bass cranked up. rent is ridiculously overpriced. can’t rely on them to fix anything. absolutely awful people

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
A week b4 I moved in neighborhood kids threw rocks through 3 ground level windows. Its about to be winter here in northern Ohio and I still cant get him to commit to replacing them.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
He's a landlord op

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Mine is pretty good. They can't raise my rent. The only thing is they are renovating the lobby and exterior areas while people are living here, so during the time of year you might open a window they have removed the screens and there is scaffolding everywhere. Also, they were jackhammering in the lobby and the sound was coming up the core of the building and freaking out my dog and made it uninhabitable.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

the person across the hall from me had to sue them to get them to do basic maintenance

they scheduled the exterminator to come at 5pm on Election Day and he left by 5:45pm

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Mine just took a header two stories down off of a ladder onto cement, is in a medically induced coma

Can't complain

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
i am a landlord and when the a/c broke in the middle of summer on a sunday i called repair people out to get it fixed within 3 hours

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

They threatened to evict me because my friend was seen walking around outside unaccompanied

he also had a beer in hand but geez

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the upstairs bathroom drains into the downstairs bathroom

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
My letting company did an inspection while I was out the other week. That's fine, I knew they'd be doing it.

Except I came home after to find they had left the lights on, the freezer door open so stuff started to melt, and the front door partially unlocked.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

HobbitGrease posted:

i am a landlord and when the a/c broke in the middle of summer on a sunday i called repair people out to get it fixed within 3 hours

Wow that’s really cool. just kidding gently caress you

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
got my gas shut off today because an inspector came around and saw it's not up to code (some bullshit about how it has to be the same level as the counter). no reply yet from my landlord.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

one guy refused to fix a radiator that was flooding my room in the middle of winter, then kept my deposit to pay for water damage

the classic combo

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Just hang in there guys, if you scrimp and save for a decade you might have enough to put a down payment on a house! :unsmith:

Then have a bank be your landlord except you have to fix your own poo poo and they'll throw your rear end on the street if you're ever a little late with their money :smith:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
they recently replaced all the front doors, which were perfectly fine solid doors, with the cheapest styrofoam core home depot garbage doors

also the handymen that do all the repairs are loving hacks

literally stone landlords to death imho

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

our kitchen light is out, its one of those hosed up tube lights

i put in a ticket to replace the light Oct 21st, guy came into our house and left a note that said "no lights, we'll be back" on Nov 1st.

im still cooking by moonlight, help

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I am my landlord OP, 'nuff said

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HobbitGrease posted:

Nice. You get to choose between firing squad & guillotine then.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
mad about weed smoke, as if weed wasn’t cool as hell

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I called them a week ago because the tiles in my bathroom wall are falling out and they we're like we'll send maintenance and I still havent seen anyone

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I came home last week and my neighbors were outside because the fire alarm went off in the building and they we're waiting for the fire department

Turns out it was a false alarm and one of the smoke detectors doesn't work which means that we had to try to call the emergency maintenance number so they didn't call code enforcement and have the building declared uninhabitable at 10 PM on a Wednesday in November, and then they didn't answer so we had to go find the office ladys daughter, who lives in our complex, to get her to call her mom so she could blow up the maintenance guys' personal phones

Owns

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

forkboy84 posted:

Nice. You get to choose between firing squad & guillotine then.

don’t waste lead and gunpowder on a landlord with 1 apartment. guillotine.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Remembered another gripe: I've literally never gotten a deposit back and when I lived in Arkansas the lease was written in such a way that the deposit is used to pay for new carpet and paint every time a lease is up

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

My landlord is a huge company that has dozens of buildings so I never see anyone from them and everything is mega standardized. It’s easy and no problems. Maybe you should do this too.

lmao :thunk:

Chinatown posted:

they recently replaced all the front doors, which were perfectly fine solid doors, with the cheapest styrofoam core home depot garbage doors

also the handymen that do all the repairs are loving hacks

literally stone landlords to death imho

ooh yeah i got one of these, used to have a nice electronic-keyed magnetic lock on the front door that was heavy as hell it's been replaced with a basic single-latch keyed lock that can be unlatched and opened with your finger

my landlord is systematically and broadly flaunting rent regulation laws here in NYC (and he just got out of jail) so right now he's also defending against a class action lawsuit I filed on behalf of about 40 of my neighbors

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

HobbitGrease posted:

you’re still getting the guillotine, rent seeker.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Gunshow Poophole posted:

my landlord is systematically and broadly flaunting rent regulation laws here in NYC (and he just got out of jail) so right now he's also defending against a class action lawsuit I filed on behalf of about 40 of my neighbors

Excellent praxis!!

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
i asked him to fix part of my floor and he hasn't yet after 4 months. also the rent is a little high IMO.

although he's gotten almost all the other maintenance stuff got done almost immediately

he's a police officer though, so he's a double class traitor. unsure if that means he'll arrest me for failure to pay rent, or if he'll try as much as possible to avoid arresting me because it'll lose him his rental income. haven't tried to commit any crimes yet.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I've lived here for two years and the dryer hasn't worked worth a drat the whole time. Every time I start a load in the dryer, it runs for about 2 minutes before it gets hot and kicks off. Then I have to wait for the switch to cool down enough to reset and it will usually run the whole cycle after that. I've put in i think 3 requests to get it fixed and they always put some bullshit like "durr we cleaned out the lint trap" or something. I quit trying to get them to fix it, if the fucker catches on fire we'll get to see if their sprinklers work I guess.

Semi-related, they left a note that they changed the batteries in the smoke alarms once and the next night every smoke alarm in the place started chirping in unison for dead batteries around 2 AM

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

my landlord's illegally converting our living room to an additional bedroom and making us rent it out

my housemate (who i am friends with) wants to move into a more expensive room but can barely afford her current one as it is, so we're hoping to leverage that exchange into an affordable rate for the room she wants because leases are legally binding while "we don't really need to involve the city in this, do we?" is comically not

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

jesus loving christ

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

im on the net me boys posted:

Remembered another gripe: I've literally never gotten a deposit back and when I lived in Arkansas the lease was written in such a way that the deposit is used to pay for new carpet and paint every time a lease is up

Minnesota is great because they require landlords to return the security deposit or an itemized bill for it within 3 weeks after the lease terminates and if they don't they have to return the deposit plus a penalty equal to 1x the deposit. If they feel there are legit damages they then need to fight in court for it.

I reckon most people don't know this because I haven't had a single landlord (including a large management company) return the deposit or itemization within 3 weeks in any place I've rented. So my thing is to send a friendly letter after that date asking for the status of the deposit and they'll usually respond with an itemization that is supposed to gently caress me out of the full deposit. I then send a response letter detailing MN state law on the matter and tell them to give me 2x deposit or see me in court. And then a week later 2x the deposit appears in my mailbox and for some reason they never try to pursue me in court for damages. I'm sure it has nothing to do with them making the damages up out of whole cloth though lmbo

MN law also governs what a security deposit can be used for and it ain't normal wear and tear. I suspect AR has terrible renter's rights laws tho

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

donoteat posted:

i asked him to fix part of my floor and he hasn't yet after 4 months. also the rent is a little high IMO.

although he's gotten almost all the other maintenance stuff got done almost immediately

he's a police officer though, so he's a double class traitor. unsure if that means he'll arrest me for failure to pay rent, or if he'll try as much as possible to avoid arresting me because it'll lose him his rental income. haven't tried to commit any crimes yet.

lol a cop landlord. a dual classed capitalist

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Raldikuk posted:

Minnesota is great because they require landlords to return the security deposit or an itemized bill for it within 3 weeks after the lease terminates and if they don't they have to return the deposit plus a penalty equal to 1x the deposit. If they feel there are legit damages they then need to fight in court for it.

I reckon most people don't know this because I haven't had a single landlord (including a large management company) return the deposit or itemization within 3 weeks in any place I've rented. So my thing is to send a friendly letter after that date asking for the status of the deposit and they'll usually respond with an itemization that is supposed to gently caress me out of the full deposit. I then send a response letter detailing MN state law on the matter and tell them to give me 2x deposit or see me in court. And then a week later 2x the deposit appears in my mailbox and for some reason they never try to pursue me in court for damages. I'm sure it has nothing to do with them making the damages up out of whole cloth though lmbo

MN law also governs what a security deposit can be used for and it ain't normal wear and tear. I suspect AR has terrible renter's rights laws tho

Arkansas doesn't just have terrible renter's rights laws, it has categorically the worst. Like, worst to the point that VICE actually did a good, short report on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G2Pk2JZP-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1003310506998788096?s=19