Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"I'll never escape romhacking, but that's okay because I belong here."

Welcome to the third incarnation of the Romhackeria! If you aren't familiar with what the Romhackeria is, it's a megathread dedicated to romhack LPs of all kinds. The first incarnation existed for a few months back in 2010-2011 and then I revived it for its second incarnation at the start of 2017. We had a lot of fun in that thread and people played some real good hacks.

Romhacking is in a real fun place these days, with people finally getting good enough tools and experience to make more hacks of 3D games. I'm coming fresh off a playthrough of a hack called Nimpize Adventure, an actual complete romhack of Ocarina of Time. In fact, doing my LP of Nimpize Adventure really made me want to revive my Romhackeria thread, but it had fallen into the archives by now so I decided we can start fresh once again.

Like last time, anyone is allowed to contribute an LP! If you've never done an LP before, I encourage you to give it a shot! Megathreads like this are a great place to learn. Just keep these few guidelines in mind if you choose to participate:

1. Put a little bit of effort into your LP. Think about the level of effort required for the Casual LP thread and that's all I'm really asking.
2. If you want to do a screenshot LP, please use the SSLP Test Poster for your updates.
3. Stay away from the dregs of romhacking. There's a LOT of romhacks out there that are plain lovely, offensive, or both. Don't do hacks that fall into either of these categories.
4. If you want me to link your LP in the first post, make a mini-OP. I can use it to better distinguish your LP from the rest.
5. And of course, all other LP Subforum Rules apply here.

---------------
Romhacking Resources

If you're looking for some ideas of hacks to LP, I figured I'd put together a short list of places to look. Maybe you'll get inspired by something.

-Romhacking.net: The definitive place to find romhacks of all sorts. Good hacks, bad hacks, weird hacks, and everything in-between. You're sure to find something here. It's an especially great place to find fan translations/localizations and hacks of less well-known games or hacks of games that aren't first party Nintendo games.
-Super Mario World Central: I am contractually obligated to talk about the site I administer, otherwise the head admin will destroy me. SMW Central is the primary place for Super Mario World hacking and has a gigantic library of romhacks stretching back before the site was even created. Its community and contests are constant sources of entertainment to enjoy, as we saw with the Vanilla Level Design Contest 9 LP myself and Tyty did last Romhackeria. But the site also hosts smaller sections for Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 64 hacking. So if you're looking for some simple Mario romhack fun, look no further than here.
-PureZC: Not technically romhacks, but this is about as close to a Legend of Zelda romhacking community as you're going to get. Almost no one hacks Link to the Past because Zelda Classic is a much more flexible and accessible fangame editor. I ruled that it was okay to LP Zelda Classic quests as part of the thread last time on the basis that other Zelda hacks are few and far between, and I see no reason not to allow them again this time.
-Metroid Construction: This place has evolved into the primary site for all forms of Metroid series romhacking over the years, and hosts a wide variety of hacks for Super Metroid, as well as smaller numbers of Metroid 1, Zero Mission and Fusion hacks. Super Metroid hacks are some of my favorite romhacks out there, so this site is always fun to check out.
-The BIG List of Video Game Randomizers: This is a huge list of game randomizers for all sorts of games spanning all systems. Randomizers are a truly unique kind of romhack, and they are perfectly suited to this thread.
-The Romhack & Fan Translation Megathread here on SA: A nice little resource here on SA with a big OP of recommended hacks and translations, as well as a nice place to talk about romhacking in general.

-----------------
If you're looking for the original Romhackeria threads, here are links to them:
Original Romhackeria (requires Archives)
Return of the Romhackeria

Let's have some fun!

Table of Let's Plays

SMWCentral's Vanilla Level Design Contest #11 (VLP) by FPzero & Tyty - Links in second post.
Donkey Kong Country 3: Tag Team Trouble (VLP) by Artix & FPzero *FINISHED*
Super Mario Bros.: Peach's Adventure (Demo) (VLP) by FPzero & Tyty *FINISHED* for now
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow Randomizer (VLP) by Ryushikaze & liquidypoo
Let's Randomize Fire Emblem (SSLP) by vilkacis *MOVED*
Fire Emblem Super Thracia 776 (SSLP) by Ephraim225 *as FINISHED as possible*
Final Fantasy X Randomized Sphere Grid (SSLP) by ColorPrinter
Terraria: The Story of Red Cloud (SSLP) by DoubleNegative
Touhoumon Purple (SSLP) by Inadequately
Final Fantasy Tactics: Rumble Chaos Crashdown Randomizer (SSLP) by dotchan
Donkey Kong County: The Kremlings' Revenge (VLP) by Artix *FINISHED*
Super Mario RPG: Google Translated Edition (SSLP) by Plant MONSTER.
Donkey Kong: Distortion Country (VLP) by Artix *FINISHED*
Final Fantasy IV Ultima (SSLP) by Procrastine *FINISHED*
Awful Emblem (Demo) (SSLP) by Ragnar Homsar, Artix, & FPzero
Final Fantasy IV: Free Enterprise (SSLP) by vilkacis
Final Fantasy IV: Free Enterprise (Bard%) (SSLP) by CptWedgie *FINISHED*
Final Fantasy VI: Worlds Collide (SSLP) by FeyerbrandX
DKC2 Unveiled (VLP) by Artix and FPzero *FINISHED*
Rockman 7 EP (VLP) by Heavy Sigh *FINISHED*
DK2 Remodeled (VLP) by Artix

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"Now I am the judge, jury and executioner."

Welcome to my LP of Super Mario World Central's Vanilla Level Design Contest 11! Two years ago I partnered up with my good friend Tyty and the two of us made our way through Vanilla Level Design Contest 9 as part of the last Romhackeria thread. We had a lot of fun and rekindled a love for enjoying Super Mario World hacks once more. This time we'll be going through the eleventh iteration of this contest, playing all the levels, giving our thoughts as we go, and probably talking some good stuff about game design.

If you're not familiar with VLDC, then let me give you a brief background. It's a mostly annual contest on Super Mario World Central in which users participate to see who can make the best "vanilla" level. The term vanilla in the context of Super Mario World romhacks means that no resources from outside the original game are used to create these levels. This contest usually brings out some of the best in content from SMW Central's userbase. It's usually a lot of fun to see what they have created; even the bad ones can be entertaining in their own way. That's just to be expected when you have a huge userbase participating. Levels are judged by the following rubric:

quote:

Level Design: 60 points
How well-designed is the level? Is it overall fun to play? How well does it execute its theme, gimmicks and level setups? Is the difficulty consistent or is it frustrating or boring? Does the level function properly or are there issues such as unintended slowdown?
Creativity: 30 points
Does the level present any unique or interesting ideas using SMW’s resources? Does it have any original, nice setups? Is the theme/gimmick innovative?
Aesthetics: 10 points
How does the level look aesthetically? Is it polished? Does it do anything interesting with the original game’s graphics? Does the music fit? Is the music a nuisance to gameplay? Are there any broken sound effects or samples?

Things are a little different for this LP. For one, I actually hosted and judged VLDC11. In the time since the VLDC9 LP, Tyty and I both became staff members on SMWC, and then I went on to become and administrator there. Because I hosted the contest, I had a hand in designing the ruleset for it. And because I judged it, that means I've actually played all the levels and helped determine the winners. Don't worry, there's still plenty of room for me to be surprised by level design and have fun. Speaking of rules, I'll briefly mention some of the bigger changes this year.

-500 second hard time limit. No resetting the timer to go over 500 seconds, no setting it to 0 seconds for infinite time. This was to keep levels decently sized and prevent behemoth levels.
-No Secret Exits. After judges were burned by so many levels padding their length with secret exits in VLDCX (10), we took the step to outright ban them this year for the judges' sanity. And it worked. Instead of taking literally 9 months for the contest to be judged like happened with VLDCX, judging for VLDC11 only took one month. Plus, I'm of the opinion that 9 times out of 10, a secret exit will hurt a level's score more than anything else.
-Judges aren't required to collect all 5 Yoshi Coins or optional 3-UP Moons. Just another quality of life change as a reaction to a VLDCX rule that made judging levels for it a big pain.

If you're interested in seeing SMW Central users' reaction to this LP, the thread link is here. I can't guarantee it'll be a very active thread though, since the subforum I posted it in is not super active.

With 111 (non-disqualified) entries submitted this year, we have plenty of ground to cover in the LP. So let's get started!

Table of Contents:

FPzero fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 27, 2020

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
And so we begin the journey to madness once more. See you all Friday!

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Oh boy, more romhacks. I'm excited.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gently caress yeah vldc

Also I might do a Zelda classic thing those are fun and some are short

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
On a related-ish note, there's a ton of Zelda 1 swordless randomizer and Link to the Past randomizer races on the SpeedGaming channel on YouTube. LttP recently started an entrance randomizer keysanity tournament, where every entrance on the overworld leads to a random entrance to a cave/building/dungeon, and all of the keys are scattered across the entire game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I really enjoyed the last thread, and I will enjoy this one.

Will you link to the SMWCentral thread in the OP? I'd be interested to see how that different community thinks about and reacts to what you're doing!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Sure, I can do that once it's made. Though I'll be posting it in the Creation Corner subforum, which is one of our less-visited subforums, so there might not be much response. But I'll do it anyway and hey maybe I'll get lucky and have people talk about it.

edit: Thread made: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=97734

FPzero fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 8, 2019

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Nice. I loved the last thread and I'm sure I will love this one as well. Those rules for VLDC11 look great!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Something that struck me about that second level was that you got nailed several times by koopa shells being kicked at you right at the forward edge of the screen. In one case a rainbow koopa got you. It felt a little rude in each case.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Minor point - there's an unfilled space for this thread in the video description

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Can't wait to see what kind of insane poo poo this edition of the thread will have. The last one enriched my life by exposing me to the LttP randomizer and also the LttP/SM one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You've made a terrible mistake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh no! But also oh yes!

God, were your VLDC 9 videos seriously two years ago?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I was thinking just yesterday I'd like to see another vanilla hack showcase. I'm burned out on the super complex asm hacks. Looking forward to this thread.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, is it good to see this back. I loved the previous one and I'm enjoying this one already. Can't wait to see what kind of creativity appears in this thread.

I must say though, I'll miss the insane overworld of VLDC9, but just getting the levels themselves is really good anyways.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So far the levels are 2 for 2 on "use of Chrono Trigger music", since the sewer level used the sewer theme from Chrono Trigger.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
YEEEEEEEEES ITS BACK

This was literally my favorite LP series ever FP and you've made it come back.

Just yesterday I was finishing up Nimpize Adventure and thinking "Hey maybe I should re-watch FP's VLDC9 LP"

Edit: Awww no overworld this time. That overworld was AMAZING in 9.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 9, 2019

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'll seriously miss that overworld. The levels themselves are great to watch but that overworld really brought the whole thing together.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Awesome, I was just thinking the other day about the other VLDC let's play you did. Looking forward to watching this.

Also I just realized that you're not the same two goons who did the Worst Wing podcast in CSPAM, despite having similar voices and dynamic.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I like these threads. The honest critiques are fun, and randomizing everything but the top 10 in the VLDC is a smooth move.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 9, 2019

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Seeing this thread put a smile on my face.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote:

Romhacking is in a real fun place these days, with people finally getting good enough tools and experience to make more hacks of 3D games.
No kidding, the amount of Super Mario 64 Romhacks now compared to just a few years ago is insane. That’s fresh ground for LPing

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yes! I loved the last thread, I'm ready for this one.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

OH gently caress

WE BACK

:getin:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh no, that's meant to be pee and poop isn't it?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DKC3: Tag Team Trouble is a romhack by L_Sky with an...interesting focus on tag actions, as the name might suggest. On the most basic level, it's a full conversion hack similar to last year's DKC2: The Lost Levels - while the world map and bonuses are the same as the vanilla game, the actual levels themselves have been completely changed. And for once, the hack seems pretty reasonable? The hacker claims to hvae been going for a difficulty similar to the original, and at least as of Mekanos, seems to have mostly hit that mark. As with the original, the difficulty of any given level is mostly tied to the stage gimmick, but outside of a few ridiculous bonuses in Kremwood Forest, I haven't had any major stumbling blocks and there's only a single bonus (at time of writing) I had to look up in the editor to find.

That said, there is one particularly interesting quirk to the hack. Whether by engine limitations or creative decision, every level in the hack is built out of the same "tileset" as the original game, level gimmick and all. Sometimes the original gimmick has been excised or minimized (especially if it's based around an enemy or transformation), but by and large this does feel a lot like a remix of the original DKC3 - Squeals on Wheels might have new terrain and obstacles, but at the end of the day you're still killing rats in treadmills. Whether this is a good thing or not is an exercise for the viewer.

This LP will not be 103% for several reasons, not the least of which is that you don't need the banana birds or DK coins for anything until you go for the true ending, which we aren't going to do. We will, however, be getting all the bonus coins; unlike DKC2 where we could "cheat" our way into seeing all the Lost World levels, DKC3 makes us put up or shut up, and honestly, that's fine? Joining me on this journey to madness is FPzero, armed with his trusty SDK3 Editor.

:siren: Updates :siren:

Lake Orangatanga
Kremwood Forest
Cotton-Top Cove
Mekanos
K3
Razor Ridge
Kaos Kore
Krematoa

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 24, 2019

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
As ridiculous as this sounds I've actually watched the VLDC9 LP *twice* in the background during work, so I'm beyond psyched for this new one.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ok went back and started watching the VLDC9 videos again. God this year's contest needs a compilation it's just utterly amazing how high quality the overworld and will be associated doodads wety for number 9

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, DKC romhacks. Always fun, in one way or another. This one looks pretty competent, if a bit bland, so it's that kind of fun.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I feel torn about DKC hacking. On the one hand, I love the first two games (I will maintain to my dying day that DKC 2 is the perfect platforming game) and want to see what people can do, but on the other hand this ain't Super Metroid. Or even Mario. There's only so many moves you can do. Which in turn limits your options to...ramping up the difficulty. And since DKC games are known to be very precise as far as movement, jumping, and enemy placement (which means even at it's most difficult, it's still not THAT difficult) that leads to stuff like...well, like the Lost Levels. A DKC hack has to walk a much narrower line than most hacks.

That said, L_Sky seems to be doing a decently good job at walking that line so far.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Ok went back and started watching the VLDC9 videos again. God this year's contest needs a compilation it's just utterly amazing how high quality the overworld and will be associated doodads wety for number 9

From what I can glean looking at the SMWCentral forums, VLDC10 was such an awful mess that making a compilation hack for it was unfeasible so for this one they just decided to put the compilation hack idea into the "maybe, if we feel like it" folder.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I hope to see some high(low)lights of 10 as an illustration of just how wrong it went.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Ironically, DKC3 should give you the most room to play with in regards to variety - even ignoring the many, many level gimmicks, there's the biggest inequality in terms of what the characters can do in the entire series. I was legit disappointed that Tidal Trouble wasn't built around using Kiddy's water skip, as an example, because that seems like a tailor-made gimmick that exploits something the base game never requires. After all, you don't need to worry about being pushed back if you never fall in the water in the first place. Not to mention things like Dixie and Kiddy's team throws being different (although you can definitely go too far on this one), utilizing Dixie's hover to better use, etc. Whether they realize this potential, I guess we'll see.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The hacker seems good enough to realize that the water skipping mechanic sucks donkey rear end and should at most be a fun extra.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh boy, DKC romhacks. Always fun, in one way or another. This one looks pretty competent, if a bit bland, so it's that kind of fun.
It's a bit bland because it's based on DKC3.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

From what I can glean looking at the SMWCentral forums, VLDC10 was such an awful mess that making a compilation hack for it was unfeasible so for this one they just decided to put the compilation hack idea into the "maybe, if we feel like it" folder.

At what point is someone going to come up with the idea of "maybe let's just make an emulator frontend for this that mimics an overworld but loads each level as its own ROM", because while I can see that taking a bunch of work, I'm pretty sure it would make the compilation way easier than trying to jam all that poo poo in one ROM.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Honestly if you manage to top this moment I'll be eager to find out what does it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

a cartoon duck posted:

I can provide insight since I have direct access to these ongoing projects. Basically VLDCX is so large with 180 levels that we would need to use some sort of frankenstein double-ROM solution to fit all the levels in. And a proof of concept for it was made; it is possible to fit all 180 levels into a double-size ROM. However, the people who had the knowledge of how to do that either left staff, left the site, or both in the time between the compilation being planned when the contest started, and when the results came in months and months later. So we were left with the option of doing a Top 60 version of the contest, which did have progress made on it. However, because VLDC9's overworld was so extravagant, and because of all the hype surrounding VLDCX in the build-up to launch and during the submission period, we really felt compelled to create some kind of amazing overworld experience. But this itself was a poison pill of sorts in that we overextended ourselves on the project and it's basically been stalled for the last year when combined with some other severely-demotivating stuff that occurred on the site in April 2018 that really affected us. So VLDCX's compilation is currently sitting in limbo like many of our other projects. With all that in mind, and considering the state of our other unfinished site projects like SMWC Island (Yoshi's Island collab started in 2013), SMW Central Production 2 (started in 2011), and Kaizo Level Design Contest 2017, I didn't want to promise another compilation hack when I couldn't guarantee it would get finished in a timely manner, if ever.

But it's not all lost because we're actually now working on a set of tools that would aid in the compilation of contests and other collaborations. Think a universally applicable set of patches and other items that would allow us to compile a contest rom much more quickly. Our focus right now is on developing those tools. Once we have them, we can give a real shot to making VLDCX's Top 60 or maybe even the full 180-level compilation. And as for VLDC11, we might do it for that too. Heck, that might be our first test case since it be a more recent contest that's fresh in everyone's minds. I could have waited until then to do this LP, but even as an admin I'm not really sure when we'll complete the tool set. And even once we have it there's still plenty of manual work to be done when assembling a compilation.

Also so things don't looks so grim for our ability to finish projects, we're actually very close to seeing SMWCI get finished after many years of waiting in limbo, and KLDC 2017 is also awaiting the new tools to be completed. SMWCP2 is kind of weird in that it's mostly being handled by someone who's no longer on staff and being maintained through a BitBucket that most staff members have no idea how to operate, but one recent staff hire has taken it upon himself to try and update the game to more modern tools and work with the guy maintaining the bitbucket to try and push progress on it forwards.

So yeah, a little bit of inside baseball about how we're handling projects on SMWC.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The first of a few really pretty levels that felt a little underwhelming in its design.

Starting this video, I'll be adding the author name and level placement into the video whenever we're on the overworld before starting the level or when discussing comments at the end. I won't be editing it in for every death. This should help people better see who made the levels and how they scored without just having to listen to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So it's DKC and Sonic this time, huh? I definitely like the idea of using Mario to emulate other games. The Sonic level was pretty visually impressive, even if it was a bit overwhelming, and the DKC level had some really neat ideas.