Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
:siren: AEW DARK MATCHES NEED TO BE SPOILER TAGGED IN THIS THREAD :siren:
They can be openly discussed without spoiler tags in the spoiler thread if you wish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZnYd25I1co

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1179553119035895808

AEW Dynamite for 10/2 via https://www.f4wonline.com

quote:

Excalibur, Tony Schiavone Jim Ross are on commentary. Aubrey Edwards is the official for tonight's first match.

Cody Rhodes (w/ Brandi Rhodes) defeated Sammy Guevara

Cody Rhodes received the massive debut response you expected him to get from this crowd, practically exploding out of their seats. Guevara came out with an animal skin on his head. Once the chants died down a little they grappled on the mat a bit, solid work but nothing flashing. The match began to build with the crowd when Rhodes hit a snap power slam. The crowd began "woo-ing" when Rhodes locked in a figure four.

Schiavone said #AEW is trending on Twitter. JR then plugged his personal Twitter account. Rhodes used a jump kick and knocked Guevara out to the floor, then tried a tope suicida through the ropes and he took Brandi Rhodes by accident. Guevara placed her in harm's way, so a minute later the crowd was chanting "a**hole" Guevara's way. Rhodes later hit Guevara in the face with her heel behind the ref's back. The crowd began losing it for the nearfalls, especially after Rhodes landed a reverse gourdbuster superplex that elicited the first "holy sh*t" chant of the night. Guevara later countered with a super Spanish Fly off the top, like Volador, for another close call. When Guevara next went for a shooting star splash, Rhodes got his knees up and rolled him into a cradle for the clean win in just over ten minutes.

--Tony Schiavone congratulated Rhodes in the ring after the match and was set to interview him, but before that, Guevara and Rhodes shook hands. The crowd sounded to love this. The shot they held on those two looked great, the place in DC tonight is looking packed. As the two congratulated each other, Chris Jericho came out and laid Rhodes out from behind. Jericho laid into Rhodes as they went to the break.

--Jericho stole a photographer's camera and took pictures of Rhodes in the ring, then himself. It was really runny to see him beating on Rhodes with a chair outside the ring while commercials for Bubbly sparkling water played to the left.

MJF defeated Brandon Cutler via submission

The crowd chanted "a**hole" at MJF as he cut his promo in the aisle on the way to the ring. He said that Cutler got lost on the way to his seat behind the guardrail. He did his "I'm better than you and you know it" catchphrase and also insulted Dungeons & Dragons players. The announcers spent a lot of time explaining Cutler to the television audience, his background in California with the Young Bucks. Schiavone called MJF a prick and it was very convincing. It's not like MJF makes it difficult for you to dislike him. MJF yelled to Cutler: "Look into the camera and tell your kids you're a bum!" Cutler did a dive onto MJF and then punched him in the mount, like Austin used to do after he'd do a Thesz press, just here Cutler flew to the floor. Moments later, MJF snuck a cheap shot in behind the ref's back, then locked in a Fujiwara armbar for the win.

--There was no split-screen during the next commerical break.

--Chris Van Vliet was ringside when they returned from the break. He introduced director and writer Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. Is Smith OK?? Jack Evans came out and started in with Mewes, whol told him Morris Day & the Time suck. I guess he's more of a Cameo guy. Mewes took the mic and made fun of them for not having won a match. The cameras then cut to Private Party, who were walking around ringside with drinks in their hands.

-- Here they played a pre-recorded promo where Scorpio Sky cut a promo like Barack Obama and SCU dressed like Secret Service members because they're in DC. Scorpio Sky's Obama impression is excellent. That's been the first real swerve of the night; didn't see that coming at all.

--They cut back to the arena and SCU cut a promo in front of the entrance, just like Gene Okerlund used to do on Nitro. Fenix and Pentagon came out and said they were the best team in the universe, then the teams got into a pull apart. The content was basic but the promos were solid. They're setting up basic stories with a handful of wrestlers who are really, really good at cutting promos. It worked, and it looks like they're soon going in the SCU vs. Lucha Bros direction in the next few weeks.

--After the next break, they cut to Chris Jericho chatting with Ortiz and Santana backstage. Jim Ross then apologized to the audience for eavesdropping on their conversation. This was a small but really nice touch.

Pac defeated Adam Page via submission

When the show returned from break the two were trading hard forearm shots in the ring. Earl Hebner was ref for this match. The crowd was red-hot for this match and it made it feel like a big deal. The two brawled on the foor early on. The crowd on the hard cam, watched intently through a lot of this, quiet when the match needed it to be and erupting for big spots, like when Pac hit a perfect Asai moonsault to the floor midway through. The crowd looked to really enjoy booing the hell out of Pac, who continued to dominate on offense at a deliberate pace while pouting and shouting about not being able to put Page away. The loose story was thatPac's offense wouldn't work. Page came back with a top rope fall-away slam and a new tombstone-esque maneuver for two-counts. Pac was able to knock Page back to the floor, where Page mosly staid selling during the next commercial break. They used a split-screen again here, which saw Pac continue to work Page over slowly. He'd kick and let Page sell, then lay in another hard kick, wait for some boos, then play to the crowd, and then back to Page with more punishment.

The Hangmin came back later on with a spinebuster and pop-up power bomb, and was later able to stick an Orihara moonsault from the top rope to the floor. Back in the ring, Pac was able to land a low blow by using the Mr. Magoo of AEW, Hebner, as a diversion, then landed a Red Arrow to Page, who was stomach-down. Pac then applied the Brutalizer, a Rings of Saturn type of crossface submission, which Page tapped tapped to almost immediately. Pac is now 2-0 and Page is 0-2.

Riho defeated Nyla Rose to become the inaugural AEW Women's champion

Dr. Britt Baker came out for commentary on this match. Production used two low angle shots on both wrestlers in the corner as ring announcer Justin Roberts announced both. They started off fast and Riho landed a headscissors. Rose used a splash but Riho bridged out of it. She then tried a double-stomp onto Rose but it didn't even register, with Rose standing up while Riho was still standing on her back. Rose was effective here and kept things simple. Riho made a comeback after a few minutes and tried landing a plancha from the top but Rose caught her mid-air, then walked her around the ring and dropped her with a backbreaker that looked awesome. When Rose went to use a chair, referee Scott Turner took it from Rose's hands. Rose went under the ring and took out more chairs and laid them near the aisle, then missed a cannonball senton onto the pile of chairs. After Riho moved out of the way, she went to the top and did a diving stomp to the floor. The crowd did a "holy sh*t" chant. Back in the ring, you could heard the crowd chanting for Riho, who locked Rose into a crossface lock as they went to break.

We were in split-screen as the match went on but went to commercial. Rose landed the flying knee to a Riho who was draped over the ropes, the same spot they did in the three-way match at Fyter Fest. The crowd looked shocked. Rose held Riho in an STF until they came back fro commerical. When Riho used the rolling cradle clutch she used to win the aforementioned three-way she got a very close two-count; Rose followed up with a big Death Valley Bomb for another two and the crowd was absolutely losing it. Riho landed a massive superplex on Rose for another close call. After another big double stomp, Riho scored the pin. It looked like Rose kicked out but it was a three. I'm not sure if it was the planned finish and it wasn't pretty but it worked on an emotional level, for sure. Interesting match that got very good at the end.

Michael Nakazawa came out to interview Riho in Japanese until Nyla Rose attacked Riho and power bombed Nakazawa (before almost dropping him). Kenny Omega came out to make the save for Riho.

Chris Jericho, Ortiz & Santana defeated Kenny Omega & the Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Kenny Omega and the Bucks came out to the "Being the Elite" theme song. Ortiz and Santana are to be called by those names until further notice. Jericho had pyro for his entrance. Omega was in first and wanted Jericho. but he tagged out to Santana. When Jericho was finally in, he put Omega in the Lion Tamer but the Bucks superkicked him. The crowd exploded. There was a flurry of dives from each Buck here, with the crescendo coming right before Omega was about to dive, right until Jon Moxley snuck in from through the crowd and into the ring and attacked Omega.

Moxley and Omega brawled through the crowd and into the VIP area backstage. The tag match went on in the ring, but the cameras stayed on Omega and Moxley. This culminated in Mox using the Death Rider DDT on Omega through a glass coffee table. Talk about making a splash.

The crowd was chanting for the Young Bucks as Ortiz & Santana worked Matt Jackson over for a while in the corner. Omega was out of comission and thus out of the match. When the Bucks and LAX were going full-blast it was impressive. It's cool to see such high qualtity production on modern wrestling. Jericho got tons of heat whenever he was in the match. Nick Jackson made a hot tag later in the match and went on a tear in and out of the ring, "perpetual motion" as JR called it.

The crowd was chanting for the Young Bucks as Ortiz & Santana worked Matt Jackson over for a while in the corner. Omega was out of comission and thus out of the match. When the Bucks and LAX were going full-blast it was impressive. It's cool to see such high qualtity production on modern wrestling. Jericho got tons of heat whenever he was in the match. Nick Jackson made a hot tag later in the match and went on a tear in and out of the ring, "perpetual motion" as JR called it.

The heel team picked up the win, seemingly out of nowhere, but the real action was after the bell. Cody Rhodes came out to defend the Bucks and take out Jericho. Sammy Guevara came out for Cody, then Dustin Rhodes came out to clean house, but the surprise: Jake Hager, who came in from the crowd and took out Rhodes and company.

News
Jake Hager is All Elite
Kevin Sullivan (the production guy, not the friend of Benoit) and his production team jumped from TNA to AEW.

UK Schedule Update!
https://twitter.com/ITVWrestling/status/1179391575891349510

Upcoming Schedule

The Next PPV:

https://twitter.com/RoFoArena/status/1172171116955217925

Links
Everything Elite Podcast the #1 podcast for the #1 promotion: https://redcircle.com/shows/everything-elite
AEW Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCFN4JkGP_bVhAdBsoV9xftA
Being the Elite Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC2V6TA0OqHr9BojcHz9az-w
Twitter https://twitter.com/aewrestling
AEW on TNT Twitter: https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT
Myspace https://www.myspace.com/aewrestling

Your First AEW Women's Champion:

And finally, your first All Elite Champion:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am glad Jericho looks healthier and that wrestling is good

Also Jack Swagger owns

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

judas

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Show wasn't totally blow away but it was fun, flew by and im intrested to see where the Jerigoons go from here.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Show was good. Jake Heathcliff was an odd choice but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt wrestling and politics wise.

Glass Punkbull 141 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 4, 2019

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

WRESTLING'S BACK

IT'S BACK

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AEW used their first TV show to introduce a former WWE midcarder as a major level competitor. TNA2.0 is real

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mel Mudkiper posted:

wrestling is good

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Needs to include the reference to "Misbehavin'" in the OP IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-znj7Uf9Oo

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Riho owns :D

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

At the end of the first show I was thinking "I hope some people come out to save the Elite", but nobody came out to save them, so now I want to watch more episodes to see the badmen get their comeuppance.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/theAdamPage/status/1179566856765620226?s=19

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://twitter.com/TheGStriing/status/1179581356860481536

lmao

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they legit need to find someone to replace hangman. the guy just doesnt have it.

also jack swagger rules

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The first episode of Dynamite was an incredible launch for their company. It was essentially perfect. Everything about it felt fresh even the "less good," parts, the crowd was red hot, and every match that needed to delivered delivered in SPADES.

64 pages by the time we went off the air. Raw had 21. NXT had 3.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Rarity posted:

AEW used their first TV show to introduce a former WWE midcarder as a major level competitor. TNA2.0 is real

but enough about Chris Jericho

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If it weren't for the fact that it would mean going straight from a 10 hour workday to the arena, I'd totally grab tickets for the boston show next week. It was actually an interesting wrestling television show-- I forgot what that was like.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

yea dude riho could be HUUUUGE

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tell me the ratings immediately. Goodnight

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He introduced director and writer Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes. Is Smith OK??

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

CarlCX posted:

That was real good, they still have some kinks to work out but I am deeply excited for more of this.
Iron out the small botches from the workers who're working on live TV for the first time and the hiccups in camerawork and we're golden. Hangman and Riho probably made the biggest impressions to those who haven't been exposed to them before.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

tell me the ratings immediately. Goodnight

Sanguinia posted:

64 pages by the time we went off the air. Raw had 21. NXT had 3.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Rarity posted:

Agreed they should fire cody

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

DoctorGonzo posted:

they legit need to find someone to replace hangman.

i thought he looked good tonight and they are clearly putting him back in the oven a while longer to crisp up

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Also that was the first Hangman Page match I've ever actually seen and if that's him being underwhelming then that G1 must have been something else

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I really enjoyed the show but the main fell flat for me. The match should have been over when Moxley attacked. Also, as soon as they said Swagger was undefeated in Bellator, all I could think was that he was AEWs Bobby Lashley.

The only other problems I had with the show was that the Page/PAC match was just meh and I do not know why Private Party was forced to leave. GIVE ME MORE PP!!!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm so so so loving happy yall

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

also has AEW announced any west coast dates yet

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
drat that was fun! Really enjoyed the first show, they have lots of things to smooth over but I cant wait to see this a month from now once the kinks are ironed out!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm amazed how fresh and fun that show felt. Two hours went by in a blink. There wasn't a bad match on the show and the few non-match segments they did like the SCU/Lucha Bros thing were perfect.

The best televised wrestling show I've seen in ages. Last thing I enjoyed this much was probably CM Punk's peak in WWE.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
is there something left for me to save in the wreckage of my life?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Rarity posted:

No they didn't why are wrestling fans like this lmao

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I'm amazed how fresh and fun that show felt. Two hours went by in a blink. There wasn't a bad match on the show and the few non-match segments they did like the SCU/Lucha Bros thing were perfect.

The best televised wrestling show I've seen in ages. Last thing I enjoyed this much was probably CM Punk's peak in WWE.

I am super hyped to see Lucha Bros vs. SCU after that segment.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Riho is legit loving awesome.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

No they didn't why are wrestling fans like this lmao

i think... they... were doing... a... joke

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm so so so loving happy yall

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Show was real fun. It had everything I wanted, including a heel faction and beat down.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

wrestling is fun to watch again, dont gently caress this up a e dub

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I'm glad a good wrestling show is on again for me to be excited about each week & on TV in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Not much of a Kevin Smith fan these days but it was cool seeing the celebrity guest actually stay and watch the show after their segment