Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Welcome to USPol General, Summer of 2020 edition. This is the thread for discussing the US news and politics in general. I am, inexplicably, the thread IK.

Thread rules:
All standard D&D rules apply. In addition,
---The US General Election, the candidates therein, and debates about who to vote for have their own thread here, so that discussion of them doesn't completely drown out everything else.

---Posting about gun control was long relegated to it's own thread because of the toxicity surrounding the issue. Posting about guns and gun control is now allowed in this thread, but make a special effort to post well; poor gun posting carries heavier penalties than normal. In particular don't call other goons violent psychopaths because they own guns, and don't call other goons cowardly victims-to-be because they don't own guns. There is also a dedicated gun control thread.

---Try to stay on topic. Goons love to post about food and video games in every thread, but unless it's related to US politics, try to keep it to a minimum. This thread also sometimes has lengthy discussions of minutiae that is tangentially related to US politics, like obesity and food policy or vaping health risks and regulations. These are allowed and, if you have any particular expertise, effortposts on these topics are encouraged.

---Don't post lovely political opinions from random unimportant people without commentary. That sort of thing belongs in the Right Wing Media thread or Conservative Email Forwards/Facebook Posts thread.

---Glee about mass death is discouraged, even if it's mass death of Trump voters.

---Do not challenge other users to toxx. If you do so, you will automatically be toxxed to the opposite outcome, regardless of if the challenge is accepted.

---Reminder that if you do not wish to read a particular poster's posts anymore, you can always use the ignore function.

Other USPol Related Threads
---GOONPAC Activism Thread
---The State/Local Politics Thread
---The SCOTUS Thread
---Political Cartoons

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1283124994285998080?s=20

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

thank christ, i knew someone that was utterly hosed by this decision

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its great to be here with you all, at the end of all things American Empire.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
woooo new thread

surely this one will bring better news than the last one, right?

...right? :smith:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
With respect to Gorka being on the NSEB, it looks like that org doesn't do much other than giving scholarships to people to make them better spies

https://www.nsep.gov/content/national-security-education-board

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

CommieGIR posted:

Its great to be here with you all, at the end of all things American Empire.

Cheers friend, to a ship sinking. Gonna play it on out with the rest of the band.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh hey. That actually became a tthread title. I did kinda want to safe it for fall, but there will be plenty of options until then.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
abolish ice

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Emptyquoting for the new thread

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1283129422619582475

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Oh hey. That actually became a tthread title. I did kinda want to safe it for fall, but there will be plenty of options until then.

Greyjoy just knows they’re not gonna make the fall one until December at this rate :V

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1283140827427090434?s=20

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

This the final season, or what?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Go home, Mike Pence.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Maybe I'll keep up with the new thread now that I'm not several thousand posts behind.

Also:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I saw the last thread was closed and my first thought was “oh god what did someone do.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1283143673098711041?s=20

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Julias posted:

Maybe I'll keep up with the new thread now that I'm not several thousand posts behind.

See you in 4k pages...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://youtu.be/7k9oflMcPZk

Trump presser alegedly about China

Watch him announce ban on TikTok

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Quick, everyone make terrible but realistic predictions so we can look back at the beginning of this thread and cry when they all come true.

Mine is that Biden promises in a presidential debate to not going after anyone from the previous administration, because we all have to "move on".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

Go home, Mike Pence.

Please no, we don't want him.

He can go take a long walk off a short pier.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I think the president is bad

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Donald Trump, he is responsible for countless deaths and abuses and frightening stupidity, he deserves to be discarded in the trash under a pile of dogshit.

Good luck making it through summer everybody!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I saw the last thread was closed and my first thought was “oh god what did someone do.”

technically the thread should have closed like 3 weeks ago! summer started near the end of june!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Superrodan posted:

Quick, everyone make terrible but realistic predictions so we can look back at the beginning of this thread and cry when they all come true.

Mine is that Biden promises in a presidential debate to not going after anyone from the previous administration, because we all have to "move on".

Trump wins reelection.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

There is actually a guy that Trump hired named Bigley. :laffo:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...Children are dying from not physically entering a school?

What the gently caress is he even saying?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

North Carolina

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndreaABC11/status/1283116910842974215

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

The National Security Education Program (NSEP) is a U.S. federal government initiative to enhance the national security of the U.S. by increasing the national capacity to understand and interact effectively with foreign cultures and languages. NSEP oversees nine critical initiatives designed to attract, recruit, and train a future national security workforce. Some funding comes in exchange for a commitment to U.S. federal government service upon completion of academic study. NSEP is aimed at building a wider pool of Americans with foreign language and international skills by involving participants in "innovative, intensive, and long-term programs designed to provide meaningful opportunities to gain significant competencies in these languages and cultures." [1]

Seems like a prefect place to put a guy with neo-nazi associations and the level of thought to make this gibberish:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Keep ICE! in the Arctic

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Not an empty quote

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Superrodan posted:

Biden vetoes m4a because "America isn't quite ready yet" or some other bs then dies in comfort, surrounded by high tech medical technology and experts while everyone under 64 can get hosed and die in the street.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ACAB

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1282793073903382534

....ok, if biden is gonna uphold mao zedong thought, i might be willing to vote for him

I waiting for a relevant thread to post this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_the_Sky This book apparently led the authors to make an youtube and tv show and is probably why Joe used this proverb.

Wikiped posted:

Kristof and WuDunn provide a series of solutions to help end the disparity between men and women in developing countries. They talk about micro-credit, lending money to women so that they can start businesses which will make them independent. They also talk about modern soap operas that portray women as independents and when seen by patriarchal husbands and affected wives can change household dynamics. Another solution is sponsored by Always, Always provides feminine care products to school girls so that they do not miss school during their menstrual cycle, which often happens because they feel ashamed. The final and probably most empowering solution is an education. Allowing girls to attend school and go beyond elementary school can truly help women advance in developing countries.
Lmao at most of these. Grants and soap operas for everyone!

drat it why did have to be now and not earlier for the thread move?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Superrodan posted:

Hillary Clinton says something, thread grows four pages of shrieking over how her complete failure to cease to exist will doom the left forever

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i did some more digging and each school district has the option of choosing what they call Plan C, which is entirely virtual learning. so this is not a mandate for schools to resume in person instruction, it's saying that the least restrictive you can be is hybrid in person for k-8 and high schools are mostly mandatory virtual learning

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:same:

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Superrodan posted:

donald trump is recorded on a hot mic using a racial slur

he gets a small bump in the polls in the following days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
My two other predictions are that Trump proposes in an interview that we ban bodycams because films of police brutality incite riots, and also that during a debate Trump somehow goes back to his greatest hits and manages to blame Biden directly for Benghazi and the conservative media and all the Chuds out there start infighting with one another about whether Obama/Biden or Clinton were truly more responsible for Benghazi.

Craig K posted:

donald trump is recorded on a hot mic using a racial slur

he gets a small bump in the polls in the following days

Reading the first sentence I thought "No way this happens, it would be too good for 2020" but then I read your sentence and now it's back on the table for things I can't possibly see happening, so therefore, they might.