Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
(Intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpEuroMQjGo)

"However, there are still many followers still loyal to Ganon..."

"Link sets sail for Remdra in pursuit of the princess. However, when Link reached the Isle, the Triforce of Courage on the back of his hand disappeared without any explanation..."

Welcome to Isle of Rebirth! Made by Evan20000 in 2014, this quest is actually rather famous both in the community and has gotten some attention out of it. It even got an LP by Mases of ZeldaDungeon.net, which was responsible for bringing a lot of people to the ZC community; myself included!

I love this loving game so much. This game makes you feel like you're on a huge adventure at all times, which is something a lot of other quests fail to do. It's very faithful to the Zelda style, and there's a lot to find. The quest is on the more difficult side of things, but it's always fair; even if the creator has rude (but funny) sense of humor. This game is so good, I love it to death and have played it a bunch and you all need to experience this.

Which is why you guys are! I'm going to do my best to make this an audience participation LP. You guys are the ones holding the wheel, I'm just putting my foot on the gas. I expect updates to be small but frequent so as to respond to what you guys want. Asides from super obvious cave openings or following a path I'm already on, you guys are the ones who are going to be keeping an eye out for secrets; and I hope you keep a pretty good eye out, because while I am a good player and I did suffer through an entire 3 heart run of this game on the hardest difficulty recently, I'm not sure I could do something of that scale again! I'm not sure how I'm gonna handle dungeons (they're pretty massive), but I'm sure you guys can help me out with suggestions!

Either way, that brings us to our first choice: Normal, or Hero? Normal should be obvious; Hero means everything does more damage (but just that; there's no health removal or anything like the official games). I find Hero fairly reasonable, but the choice is up to you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A good Zelda fangame, you say? With a classic fantasy hook that invites intrigue without being over-complicated. That'll be breath of fresh air indeed.

Time to be a true Hero.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

You've suffered enough with BoaB. Go with normal. This will also help if the goon hivemind is especially dim.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Maigius posted:

You've suffered enough with BoaB. Go with normal. This will also help if the goon hivemind is especially dim.
Seconding this, go normal.

I've been looking forward to an LP like this; BoaB is extremely amusing in all the worst ways, but the actually positive achievements of a modding community are always wonderful to see, in my opinion.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Maigius posted:

Thirding. You got through BoaB, you can take it normal for a while.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, normal seems fine tbh. BoaB has been a kick in the pants for us all, so...

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm going to vote for whichever you prefer. It doesn't sound like the choice of normal versus hero will actually affect the aspects of the gameplay that will matter for thread participation, so do whichever you think you'll enjoy more. (You've tortured yourself enough for our sake with BoaB.)

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Also going to go OP's choice, with a reminder that although you may have been able to beat it under the toughest conditions you could think of for yourself, the toughest conditions that the collective stupidity of your viewers might come up with could be far worse.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

OST - https://soundcloud.com/dimipzc/bryyo/s-uTSt3xCfMuP?in=dimipzc/sets/isle-of-rebirth/s-rRH48VDXeEI

Consensus of the hivemind was normal, so I chose normal (you can tell by the tiny box in the topright being green; it has a different color for each difficulty). Because we didn't choose Hero, we lose out on a bonus credits message, but besides that nothing really changes.

Heading north, we already have a cave, as well as a pesky Zora sniping us. I'll be checking out obvious caves like these, but secrets I'll leave to the discretion of you guys to point me towards (even if it's a super obvious bombable wall).

OST - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntHXW8deOsc

We have this lad inside the cave telling us to come back after we beat the game. I wonder what this is about?

We also get a freebie Heart Piece! Neat!

Further north, we can't climb that cliff, so let's head west.

OST - https://soundcloud.com/dimipzc/mabe-village-orchestra/s-P5AMvY77Zct?in=dimipzc/sets/isle-of-rebirth/s-rRH48VDXeEI

Looks like we have a small town here. Let's check it out.

"in the woods up north of here. I wonder what this could be about? The Wizzrobes rarely leave the old castle in the northern fields."

So we have an objective, but let's explore the town a bit first.

Hey, Ocarina's are cool >:(

...Are they 100 rupees cool though?

I'm sure they're fiiiiiiiine. They probably just want hugs!

Anyways, we can't leave town because of that bush to the left. We need a sword.

I'm sure some people can relate to this...

"But how exactly does a fence stop a dragon? I think there is more to this than they are letting on..."

Maybe it's a lazy dragon that can't climb a fence? Seems suspicious though.

:effort:

The last house in town is blocked by rocks. Guess let's check out the woods to the north.

OST - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRHO2pY97I

Crystal Chronicles music! I used to own this game as a kid; never got far but I remember it being neat.

Anyways, we can't cut down those mushrooms or kill these octorocks without a sword, so we'll need to navigate this place without a weapon.

It's a bit of a maze to navigate; if a linear path can be called a maze.

And here's our cabin in the woods. Let's head inside.

"Ganon's followers have found a door to the Dark Realm on this island and are in the process of freeing him. The Dragon that kidnapped Zelda is working on his behalf. If Ganon is revived, a new era of darkness will befall the world. Our goal is to stop Ganon's revival at all costs. I imagine he wouldn't be too pleased with you after you just sealed him away... There is hope, however. The pieces of the Triforce of Courage materialized on this isle not long after you arrived here."

"However, it is best if you secure the other 6 pieces first. One lies in the ancient ruins on the beach. Another sleeps in a murky bog. The next rests deep underground. One more lies under a cursed chapel. Another upon an icy summit. Finally, the last one sleeps in a lost city, under the stormy sea. Once you have these 6 shards, I will give you the one I possess. Then you should be able to slay the Dragon, save Zelda and stop Ganon's revival and then go home.

We got the sword! Now we can kill things!

Okay, jeez.

So... what now?

DimiPZC fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 27, 2021

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

If the sword can cut down mushrooms, let's go west from the double row of mushrooms.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Maigius posted:

If the sword can cut down mushrooms, let's go west from the double row of mushrooms.
Seconding this. Cut those shrooms and go westforth.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I was considering playing this, but supposedly you can't get a certain 100% completion thing outside of Hero Mode?

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Maigius posted:

This screen is to the west; I probably could have shown that better, sorry.

Tallgeese posted:

I was considering playing this, but supposedly you can't get a certain 100% completion thing outside of Hero Mode?

It's nothing special; just The quest password.

There is a 100% thing, but that's available to normal mode as well.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The Wizzrobe mentioned ruins at the beach, and we have access to a beach, so I'd say we should check if we can do something with that blue mural thing; if that fails, let's explore the rest of the forest.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
In true RPG style, if you find the dungeon, go do literally everything else possible beforehand. Never know when stuff changes or becomes inaccessible or whatnot.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Is it possible to get on the path going from the screen to the west of where you got your sword? It looks like you can get there by taking the left path from one screen below.

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
So what did that sign on the beach say?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
eat the sword

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Chop down some mushrooms!

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Carpator Diei posted:

The Wizzrobe mentioned ruins at the beach, and we have access to a beach, so I'd say we should check if we can do something with that blue mural thing;

There's a weird overhang quirk with this; but sadly it seems like we can't interact with it yet. Maybe we don't have the right item. Anyways, it does look slightly like the mural is eating our sword if you look at it from a really bizarre perspective...

You're supposed to be controlling Link, not random objects :v

Happerry posted:

So what did that sign on the beach say?

Were the woods named after the village or was the village named after the woods? :think:

Maigius posted:

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Seconding this. Cut those shrooms and go westforth.

Verant posted:

Chop down some mushrooms!

Mushroom status: Chopped :smug:

Maigius posted:

Is it possible to get on the path going from the screen to the west of where you got your sword? It looks like you can get there by taking the left path from one screen below.

With our new sword, we can cut this bush that was blocking us.

It leads us to a fork in the road.

Going left is an immediate dead end with some trees we can't cut down blocking us.

Going right, we're now above where we got the sword. We can slash those shrooms and go east.

There's a cracked wall we can't do anything about yet, and a path leading south.

South is a dead end with a lot of moblins. Let's try killing them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeY7YIT7tzs

Oh yeah, this game has oddly high quality SFX for all enemies. People either completely love it or completely hate it with no in-between; personally I think it's charming in a goofy way.

...GWAAAAAAARGH!

Killing all of them nets us a piece of heart. That seems like all we can do in the Hori woods for now with our current gear. What's next?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Go cut down that bush that was in town and see what's past there?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Ooh right, this WAS the quest whose SFX made me give up on it, welp. Thought it was a different one and I just hadn't gotten back to trying it out myself yet. Not sure where else to go but back to town, yeah.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Marluxia posted:

+1 to this.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Before I forget, here's a screenshot of our subscreen. Boy, there sure is a lot of space there.

ElegantFugue posted:

Ooh right, this WAS the quest whose SFX made me give up on it, welp. Thought it was a different one and I just hadn't gotten back to trying it out myself yet. Not sure where else to go but back to town, yeah.

Marluxia posted:

By overwhelming request, we finally cut down the bush. :toot:

OST - https://soundcloud.com/dimipzc/linksawakening-overworld/s-tu8Y2eINml3

Seems like we have a big open field ahead of us.

Guess let's explore the Remdra Plains!

Oh, what's this guy?

Ow, that hurts.

South seems like a no-go cause of these boulders.

West has a broken bridge we can't cross. Guess we'll head north!

Northwest we have another dead end, but it looks like there's a bridge on the higher elevation.

Good thing there's stairs to the east!

Weird formation of trees. Killing the octos doesn't do anything.

We have more of the woods to the north and more of the plains to the west.

Both dead end immediately.

Anyways, here's an open cave.

OST - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjRxMqAak4s

Doesn't seem like much we can do here. At least we're getting PH music rep!

Let's cross the river.

More crossroads!

North we can get a glimpse of what's beyond that switch dead end.

Another town to the west, and a forest to the south. Let's head south first.

Another cracked wall, and the entrance to the blue woods we just read about.

We're now on the other side of that broken bridge. Gosh, we sure had to do a roundabout, eh?

Down from here is a dead-end with a weird patch of dirt.

Guess let's head towards the town then.

Another entrance to the blue woods down here.

And here's the city! Same song as the last one.

Neat!

What's next? The town has a south and a north exit we have yet to see, we could explore the town, explore the blue woods...

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
All of this looks so much more pleasant than BoaB. It's amazing how much an overload of useless details can ruin a Game-Boy-era engine.

Let's explore the town and then the blue woods.

What does the sign by that statue say? And can you interact with the statue?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Marketplace, huh? Let's see if we can find the shop. I'm hoping for a shovel.

If there's anything in the shop you can reasonably grind rupees for, do it.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
The still shots make it seem like Link is swinging a pickaxe and now this is my head canon.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game has a serious enemy spam problem but is otherwise fairly enjoyable.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
That sure is a lengthy death cry for the moblins, jeeze.

Also, let's go see what's in the Blue Dabadee Dabadi Forest!

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

This game has a serious enemy spam problem but is otherwise fairly enjoyable.

To be fair, vanilla Zelda 1 also has that problem. A lot. I can't in good conscience say Zelda 1 is a well-designed game in genreal, really.

Also, chalk me up as someone who's been playing this after seeing the recommendations of it in the other ZC quest threads. It's pretty good! Bosses are maybe a bit much but the dungeon design is fun.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Carpator Diei posted:

What does the sign by that statue say? And can you interact with the statue?

We'll be seeing what the deal with these statues are in a bit.

Carpator Diei posted:

Let's explore the town and then the blue woods.

Anyways, let's explore the town; we haven't been in this building yet.

This guy doesn't have much to say.

Back outside, we immediately find the shop.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Marketplace, huh? Let's see if we can find the shop. I'm hoping for a shovel.

If there's anything in the shop you can reasonably grind rupees for, do it.

Inside the shop, we have this nice selection.

We now have bombs. You don't need a bomb bag to start carrying in this game.

Huh. Guess the capital has a zombie problem.

North from the shop, overworld music starts playing again. Seems like this is the edge of the town's boundaries. Let's at least check out the house.

Barriers block us from reaching anything here, and there's a weird music note on the floor. Can't do anything here yet.

We have a guy complaining about flowers here... And a house I completely forgot to enter while exploring. :doh: The guy in it says we can find cool stuff behind trees.

Another house blocked off by trees...

Oh dear...

More boulders blocking the way down here.

These statues fully heal you when you walk up to them. They're quite nice.

"a really epic paintball game went down there or something."

O-oh.

Verant posted:

Also, let's go see what's in the Blue Dabadee Dabadi Forest!

Carpator Diei posted:

...and then the blue woods.

I guess let's explore the spore woods then.

It's very blue.

I was in the process of killing the enemies on this screen when I found a red rupee behind a tree. Neat!

Waking this guy up gets us a mushroom. Nice, I guess?

South has another tree blocking us.

Let's explore this end then.

We're down on the lower level from this guy now. Guess we'll head east from that tree blocking us earlier.

Another boulder blocking us...

A cracked wall down there...

And a house! Let's see what's inside.

Oh. Guess this is a mansion, and it has heart pieces in it.

What next?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

DimiPZC posted:

Let's explore this end then.

This wall clearly needs bombing.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DimiPZC posted:

Does bombing those boulders do anything?

You mentioned that the town has a north and south exit; I'd say try the south one first, the north sounds like plot progress.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Did we ever go in here?

Also there's an Ocarina in the first shop and a music note panel on the floor. I see where this is going. You're already halfway to buying it, if that cave or the one outside the Not-Blue Hallucinogenic Forest proves lucrative I think that should be our next grab.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Did we ever go in here?

Also there's an Ocarina in the first shop and a music note panel on the floor. I see where this is going. You're already halfway to buying it, if that cave or the one outside the Not-Blue Hallucinogenic Forest proves lucrative I think that should be our next grab.

I think we can't get through the small trees just yet.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Jade Rider posted:

I think we can't get through the small trees just yet.

Yep, based on what those trees do in the Oracle games (you need ember seeds) it'll need the candle. And Dimi doesn't have the candle yet.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Sorry for the delay, y'all! My sleep schedule was screwed and I had to fix it. Expect daily or twice-daily updates going forward. ...Unless I still continue to be a lazy piece of garbage :D

ElegantFugue posted:

This wall clearly needs bombing.

It sure does!

Bribery is no party, my dude. Especially when I have to pay for it. We should remember to come back here once we have the money.

Carpator Diei posted:

Does bombing those boulders do anything?

You mentioned that the town has a north and south exit; I'd say try the south one first, the north sounds like plot progress.

This exit is blocked by boulders, but...

Aha! You can bomb them. Progress!

Well that sure is an ominous treehouse.

Nevermind, it's just a friendly witch-hut. Not to be confused with pizza hut or pho hut.

(yes, that last one actually exists in my town. It's quite good!)

Well lucky for you, witchy, we just picked up a mushroom from a doped up guy last time.

Nice! I'm sure these will be useful at some point.

I'm not sure it's safe to be playing in the sand with crab monsters around, kiddo. Anyways, he wants a shovel or something.

...Welp, this is a dead end. We can't cross that tiny gap of water yet. RIP.

Where next?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Farm money for the bomb bag, the shield, and anything else that will make your life easier than it's supposed to be this early.

It's how I always played Zelda games.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DimiPZC posted:

South seems like a no-go cause of these boulders.

DimiPZC posted:

Now that we know how to get past the boulders, let's explore beyond the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Okay, I said that I was gonna make these daily, but immediately after got caught up in stuff. Actually twice daily updates from now on, and I'm toxxing myself to have the update after this finished within 24 hours of the next reply suggestion. Gotta get back into the habit.

Carpator Diei posted:

Now that we know how to get past the boulders, let's explore beyond the others.

Now that we have bombs, this blockade is no longer an issue.

OST - https://soundcloud.com/dimipzc/bryyo/s-uTSt3xCfMuP?in=dimipzc/sets/isle-of-rebirth/s-rRH48VDXeEI

The beach music from before starts playing. As you might have noticed by now, there's no area titles or anything beyond a generic "Southern Remdra". It's very nonstandard compared to other quests that name each area in bold letter up above the map, but I like it.

OST - https://soundcloud.com/dimipzc/linksawakening-overworld/s-tu8Y2eINml3

Heading left and up, and we're back to the overworld music.

OST - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhpHX3q7P8

Heading left again, and we're on the other side of that boulder from before. I bomb it open for convenience. Also, I didn't know what the theme for this area was before, but it turns out Evan really likes his Crystal Chronicles music.

Going right along the beach instead, we have a house.

"I was able to seal the leader in the central chamber with the rock. Good luck if you want to take it.

Oh boy, looks like we have a dungeon coming up ahead.

Yep, that sure looks like a dungeon entrance.

Level 1: Seaside Ruins.

So we have a dungeon ahead of us, but...

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Farm money for the bomb bag, the shield, and anything else that will make your life easier than it's supposed to be this early.

It's how I always played Zelda games.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

In true RPG style, if you find the dungeon, go do literally everything else possible beforehand. Never know when stuff changes or becomes inaccessible or whatnot.

So spoiler alert: this game doesn't do permanently missable content like that. However, we could go back and explore for more goodies, maybe find more rupees and buy stuff. If you guys really want me to grind for stuff, I can do it, but I'm also fine just taking what I get; money in this game is pretty plentiful just from exploring. So here's the choice: shall we do the dungeon now, or shall we keep exploring? And if the latter, what should we do in what order?