Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I was dickering with my junk rear end jetta today, laying horrible, poo poo beads of weld around the exhaust leaks, and of course bought bmw horns by mistake. As I turned the welder, torpedo heater, and compressor, I noticed some loud mewing. I searched the front and back garage doors, and found the mewing was coming from inside the garage. This poor thing must have squeaked under the garage door I had slightly open to vent all the fumes. She's tiny. However, she made some very loud and aggressive mews when I got closer. So, safety being first, I put my welding gloves back on, and made the approach. She immediately head first nuzzled into them. So of course I took them shits off and coaxed her out of the bottom of my parts(junk) shelf. Almost immediately she climbed up behind my head. She's drat near a skeleton, though, and doesn't seem interested in food and water. While I wait for a response from my vet, we are gonna keep her in the crate in quarantine from the dog, whom is very interested, but she has already established her dominance.

I never wanted to actually keep a cat, mostly because I'll probably have to be the chore doer, as with everything else. But, alas, the wife, son and I all at one point or another were like, "Huh, guess we have a cat now." I'm secretly hoping this will help pull my better half out of her depression she refuses to admit she has.

As of right now, she's quiet, in the room we are overhauling, with the door shut. I'm hoping she'll take to the food. Man, I noticed this a while back, but the wet cat food shelf at any store is always near empty, is this a supply chain thing?

If you're wondering, it's highly unlikely this cat belongs to anyone, cats are everywhere around here. No collar, and no recent lost cat ads on the missing pets page for my county. In fact, there's a massive orange tabby that bangs all the local strays we are quite familiar with, and this is most likely it's spawn. Name ideas are welcome, we likely won't pick any of them!

Here she is, the luckiest cat in Morrow County, Ohio. With Storm, another "rescue". I consider this pure bred dingus a rescue because the buttholes that owned him tried to sell him to me for $2500 but gave him to me for free a week later, realizing they couldn't handle 3 of them any longer.

Hope this thread brings you joy during these Trying Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

what a cutie, you should name her cabbage.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
You don't "find" a cat, the cat choses you.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
Orange tabby females are rare-ish. I hope she starts eating and drinking soon, she looks gorgeous :)

We give all our cats old people names so I'm gonna suggest Gertrude

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Try not to get too attached to it before you know if it’s going to make it or not.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Torquemada posted:

Try not to get too attached to it before you know if it’s going to make it or not.
It's probably already too late for that.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Torquemada posted:

Yeaaap. I'll be fine, definitely going to have to talk to my son real quick though. The cat is a tiny bit sneezy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Cats that choose you are the best!

You might wanna try dropper feeding her for a bit with Ensure or if you can find it, Catsure.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Funny, my mom told me the same cat choosing you thing. But I also have a weird group of youngsters that are in some sort of church they don't mention the name of come by and tell me they can sense a dark aura over my house. So who's to say. Gonna go see if they have ensure, and beer, at the local market.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

interwhat posted:

Funny, my mom told me the same cat choosing you thing. But I also have a weird group of youngsters that are in some sort of church they don't mention the name of come by and tell me they can sense a dark aura over my house. So who's to say. Gonna go see if they have ensure, and beer, at the local market.

Haha, holy poo poo. If you get a chance, let them know you only ever hear that when they're at your house.

Best of luck!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Saw some pretty passionate claims against ensure for cats, plus they only had vanilla. But picked up some Whiskas Cat Milk. No interest, all she wants to do is climb and rub on us. She doesn't smell which if my long ago experience working at a vet is worth anything, that's a pretty good sign

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

interwhat posted:

But I also have a weird group of youngsters that are in some sort of church they don't mention the name of come by and tell me they can sense a dark aura over my house.

How will you have time to look after a cat when you’re planning insanely satanic pranks to pull on them and filming it so we can laugh?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The fact that she has enough energy to climb and nuzzle might be a good sign, although you should take her to a vet for a checkup ASAP. If you have a 24-hour/emergency vet, take her there; do a quick google search and see if there's one near you.

Not eating or drinking could be a sign of all kinds of bad stuff like fatty liver disease, which is very deadly and kills very quickly.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Chicken baby food is what we use at the cat shelter to tempt cats who don't want to eat. Tuna or rotisserie chicken is also good.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Hell yeah you're a cat family now!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

I. M. Gei posted:

The fact that she has enough energy to climb and nuzzle might be a good sign, although you should take her to a vet for a checkup ASAP. If you have a 24-hour/emergency vet, take her there; do a quick google search and see if there's one near you.

Not eating or drinking could be a sign of all kinds of bad stuff like fatty liver disease, which is very deadly and kills very quickly.

Thats kind of how we feel too. It was kind of sunny today I'm wishfully thinking maybe she got a bird or a mouse? But also she's probably too small to hunt. Thanks for the advice

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Ohhhh and the kid might be allergic, runs in mom's side of the family. We lived with my mom when he was born and for about 2 years after and he CONSTANTLY had a runny nose. We will see about that, I hear they have better treatment for cat allergies now.

Edit: so far no reaction

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would take her to whatever vet's open even if it's not your preferred one. (Be prepared with some boy names, too.)

If she's big enough for solids, you can warm them up to be more tempting. Nuke for 30 seconds and test it with your finger. If you have a shallower, flatter container -- like a plate is fine -- that might also help.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Name the cat Taco

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Guys.... She's ATTACKING the cat milk syringe. This is wonderful.

Can't wait for the house to be covered in 2 types of fur!!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's awesome! See if you can get KMR powder at a pet store -- the whiskas thing I think is more of a treat, rather than a replacement for all the stuff in its mother's milk

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Gonna take a break and make sure the food stays down, but it's looking much better for... gonna wait on the vet eval before name.

I might secretly shed a tear here in a minute

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Anne Whateley posted:

That's awesome! See if you can get KMR powder at a pet store -- the whiskas thing I think is more of a treat, rather than a replacement for all the stuff in its mother's milk

That's 100% what it is, but from the looks of her anything is better than nothing.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Thank you so much for helping a kitty
Get her to vet asap

Thank you so much

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah definitely better than nothing (although she might have diarrhea), but I would try to get a vet and KMR to happen asap/tonight.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
youve been adopted OP congrats

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Spinz posted:

Thank you so much for helping a kitty
Get her to vet asap

Thank you so much

No need to thank me, this [should be] normal human behavior.

We are gonna get her to a vet ASAP, but they(medvet is way down in Columbus) are super far from me, plus the added stress of the car ride and no carrier. I'm gonna get my vet(we really love them, especially when most of the vets here are mostly ag vets) on the phone tomorrow, she'll probably come visit.

Don't worry, everyone, I promise you she will get care very soon.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Don't eat the cat op!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

You need to get her to a vet anyway since she was on the street she needs to get vaxxed and checked for feline hiv and whatnot

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If the cat is eating now she'll almost certainly be fine overnight till you can call your normal vet. She's very cute!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
She looks like a Beethoven to me.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You need to get her to a vet anyway since she was on the street she needs to get vaxxed and checked for feline hiv and whatnot

Ya, it's also the law probably.

Pretty sure she identifies as vaccinated though

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

as someone mentioned upthread orange tabby females are a relative rarity so she's already kind of a unique cat

name her cointreau or triple sec. aperol?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Clearly she should be named Garfeld.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Okay soooooo maybe it is a boy lmao

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Sorry for the blurry photo, (they) won't stay still.

Look and feel like balls to me

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Those are definitely fuzzy cat balls.

Mazel tov! It’s a boy cat!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
:3: my last family cat, older than I was, was an orange tabby named Casper and he lived 20 years. :3:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I have a 20 year old tabby cat currently sitting in my lap as I type this up. Senior cats are the best :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

kntfkr posted:

Don't eat the cat op!
Agreed, wait until the cat's put some weight on before you eat it.