Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Carnage Heart EXA is a robot programming game developed by Artdink and released for the PSP in 2010 in Japan, and 2013 everywhere else. It is the 6th game in the Carnage Heart series, and the 2nd one that was released outside of Japan, the first one being, well, the first Carnage Heart for the PS1.

Carnage Heart is a very, very niche series, but extremely deep and rewarding. The goal of the games is to build your own robots, called Overkill Engines (OKEs), and assembling a team of up to 3 of them by choosing the body, ranging from flying, vehicle, biped, quad types, weapons, CPU, armor, engine, fuel, additional equipment, heat/energy/weight management, tuning... you name it!

Hey that kinda sounds like Armored Core!
:actually: The first Carnage Heart predates Armored Core, but even though there are similarities in the customization aspect, gameplay-wise they are very different. The biggest thing about Carnage Heart that sets it apart is the fact that you don't control your OKEs, but instead you have to program them.

...p-programing???
Hell yeah, but you're not going to write code. You program the behavior of the OKEs using several chips (and I really do mean several) at your disposal, ranging from button input chips and assessing the state of an OKE, to stuff like melee attack cancels and sending and receiving variables like the XYZ coordinates of an enemy or the value of PI over communication channels. There's some math stuff too if you want to get into that. You can even have sub-programs depending on the CPU you're using! Since matches are team-based, you also have to take the position of your allies into account as well, so that you don't attack them accidentally, and there are some very neat things you can do to make some killer teamwork logic as well! (Or not, screw your allies! Or just go solo)

One of the new features in Carnage Heart EXA is the ability to manually control one of the OKEs, but the catch being that you will also have to program how they work in manual mode. How they function and what they do in manual mode is all up to you, since you can set up any buttons or button combinations that you desire to do any specific thing you want, your creativity is the limit!

Just so you have an idea of how deep the rabbit hole goes, the original Carnage Heart came with 2 dics, with the second one being solely dedicated to tutorial videos on how to play it, and that's the first game only. A lot of stuff was added between the games, and EXA features pretty much all of these additions, so it's gonna be fun learning it all!
Wait, where are you going? Don't leave! :smith:

So is there a story or something?
Carnage Heart EXA does feature a story mode that also serves as a tutorial, and I'll be editing the tutorial stuff to make it brief but also so you can learn things if you want to. Later on the tutorial will end and we will be left to our own devices. There's also 2 battle modes, one that is exclusive to the story mode, and another one that you can start at any time at the main menu, both are optional but fun, and you also get money to buy new stuff. Hopefully you decide to play this game if you haven't already, I think it's quite cool!

I have played this before, can I post my OKE designs?
Sure I'd love that! It would be cool if we could get a few designs and watch them duke it out.

Chapters:
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Bonus: Let's talk a bit about the original Carnage Heart!
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
reserved

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Sounds like a bad romance novel!

Meet Chi-Ling, one of the main characters. By the way, this game does feature voice acting in English and Japanese, which can be changed in the settings.

AI: Six minutes until your appointment.

The navigation system keeps pointing to the middle of some park...

AI: Confirming current location. Address displayed is correct.

The nav system sure sounds confident... It's taking me way out past any residential areas, though...

AI: Five minutes until your appointment.

I know, I know! Give me a break!

I'd better hurry. Being late on the first day of my new part-time job would make a bad impression.

But when it came along, I was so broke that I couldn't afford to be picky. I accepted it right away.

This doesn't look like a park... More like some huge estate... And could that huge building ahead be... a house? Or more like a mansion?

Whoever owns this place must be LOADED!

AI: Address displayed is correct.

So this is the place? My part-time job is at somebody's mansion...?

Whoa...

AI: It is now your appointment time.

Okay, okay! So where is the doorbell...? Maybe this is it?

*doorbell sound

???: Yes?

I'm Chi-Ling Hsu. I have an appointment as a tutor...

???: We've been expecting you. I will send a car for you. Please wait at the main gate.

Uh, sure.

...Send a car...?

*car sound? it kinda sounds weird

Wow! They actually sent a car! A luxury car!

These people must be richer than rich...

Chi-Ling: Um... And you are...?

???: ...

Chi-Ling: (Is this my employer...?)

Chi-Ling: Oh, excuse me! I'm Chi-Ling Hsu.

Chi-Ling: Err...

Chi-Ling: You must be... Mr. Shigisawa?

Kyle: ...Yes. I'm Kyle Shigisawa.

I didn't post the image here, but Kyle, the man in the wheelchair, changes his expression to a more calm one starting from the line above, but it's still the same image, hence why no portrait pictures in this dialogue segment here.

Chi-Ling: It's nice to meet you.

Kyle: Excuse me for asking, but are you Taiwanese by any chance?

Chi-Ling: Yes, I am, actually... Do you have some connection to Taiwan, Mr. Shigisawa?

Kyle: So you have family... Well, never mind. Pardon me.

Chi-Ling: Huh...?

Not suspicious at all.

Kyle: As you can see, I am disabled. You know the nature of the job, yes? To be my tutor, and teach me programming.

Chi-Ling: Yes, I'm all ready. You want to program robots, right?

Kyle: Yes, I have all the necessary equipment. Let's begin right away.

Chi-Ling: Okay.

No... It just... feels kind of strange.
Strange?
I'm only 20 years old... You're old[sic] than I am, right, Mr. Shigisawa? I feel kind of uncomfortable being a teacher to someone who's older than I am... I feel like I'm overstepping my bounds, you know?
I understand you[sic] conundrum, Ms. Hsu.
Just call me Chi-Ling, if that's okay with you, Mr. Shigisawa.
Certainly, that's fine. In that case, just call me Kyle.
Oh... all right.
Kyle, then.
If you don't mind.
Not at all.
Well, let's get started. We'll use this terminal.
Wow! The latest model from A&D Corporation...? Can I touch it?
Go right ahead. How will you teach me if you don't touch it?
Good point. Ha ha ha ha!
Wow, I've only seen these in catalogs... Not many places have a university-research class machine like this. Ooh! And it runs like lighting[sic]! How about that!

Runs like lighting? :crossarms:

Huh...?
(Now Kyle and I are the only two people in the room...)
(Well, I'm supposed to be his tutor, so it makes sense, but at the same time, I feel a little funny...)
(Now that I think of it... the car that came to get me at the gate was robotic, and ever since I got to the mansion, I haven't met anyone except Kyle and that android... Is it possible there's no one here other than Kyle and the android...?)
(Is he the only human that lives in this mansion? Hmm...)
I'd like to use this as the curriculum.
Oh, uh, sure!
Ummm... this?
It's a simulation program for OKEs - Overkill Engines.
U-Use this...?
It's true that OKE programming tools are very robust and easy to use, but they aren't really useful for any other tasks. Usually, it's best to master the basics using a more general-purpose tool that has many applications.

Gee, I wonder why someone would want to learn how to program OVERKILL Engines :iiam:

No, all I need is OKEs.

Nope, not suspicious at all. Totally fine.

Oh... Okay, whatever you say.
So... you're into OKEs?

Ah, I see Kyle went to the Dot Dot Dot school of anime dialogue.

I mean, uh, why not? Guys are always into weapons and stuff like that.
It's not a bad idea to start with something you have a real interest in.

I have a real interest in OVERKILLING, you know.

Programming has a steep learning curve. But once you get the hang of it, it's fun!
Let's get started, then.
S-Sorry... Right, let's begin.
First, let's open the main console.
All right.

And here we go, the start of the tutorial proper. Pretty much all chapters will follow the same formula of a little bit of story and then a tutorial or vice versa, up until a certain part of the game where the training wheels will be removed, so to speak. I will not be transcribing 100% of what Chi-Ling says in these sections, since some of it is basically "in the options menu you can save your game!!!!!" and stuff like that, so it will be omitted for brevity. I'll just try to keep the more important and interesting stuff so it feels less, uhm, "tutorial-y" I guess.

Now then, let's start the first lesson. I'll start with an explanation of what an OKE is. But you already know that, right, Kyle? Bear with me, though.

Since there is no pilot, the OKE's performance can be maximized, allowing incredible maneuverability.

Depending on how they are programmed, OKEs can be basically be divided into manual and auto types.

Autopilot OKEs, on the other hand, are preprogrammed to operate on their own. No human intervention is required. And those are the basics of OKEs.

Manual control is one of the main selling points in this game. In previous Carnage Heart games (1 and EZ) it used to be a cheat code that gave you direct control of a single OKE during combat. The controls were pretty basic and completely broke away from the game's proposal, which was to design and program your own badass killing maching and perfect it over time. I swear I read this somewhere so don't quote me on that, but apparently manual control was something that was added as a cheat way later during the original game's development, since reviewers who got the game early complained that they could not control the OKEs manually. Maybe that's not the case, but goddamn it does sound like something that could have happened. Video game reviewers at it again! :argh:

But that's it for the first lesson (she goes into the options menu but that's boring)!

Actually, even a manual OKE has to be programmed.

After that we are given a mission to beat 2 drones that don't do anything. We can only walk around, rotate, strafe using the triggers and use melee attacks with the circle button.

They are dealt with ease. Since there's not much going on here I decided to not post a video, since it's just me walking up to them and attacking. Be aware that we haven't gotten the chance to program anything yet. One interesting thing to note is that, in this example, you can not walk forward/backward and strafe at the same time, but in the future we'll take a look at that.

We complete the mission, and Chi-Ling reminds us that we can always review lessons we already completed, which is great. For now things are pretty simple however.

Although one type receives control input from a person and one doesn't, they both have to be programmed. For example, here's a program for an Agrios OKE, like the one you just used.

Let's create an incredibly basic OKE program, one that just tells the OKE to keep moving forward and attack.

Program chips come in many different types, and it's impossible to remember them all right off the bat, so I'll teach them gradually. First, I'll tell you about the "Attack Chip."

Attack Chips are used for melee attacks. Let me explain how this chip works.

When a chip is placed, it will have an arrow to[sic] pointing to the next chip. The OKE will execute the program by following the arrows. For example, if you line them up in this order...

The tl;dr version of this is that it's essentially a flowchart. There's more nuance, but that's the gist of it. How many chip slots you have available depends on the CPU, and the same goes for the processing speed, but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here.

However, you don't have to place the same chip over and over again.

Return chips are placed automatically whenever you have an arrow pointing to an empty space.

In the original Carnage Heart, chips could only have arrows pointing up/down/left/right, and no diagonals. The result was that you had to use many "empty" or NOP chips to connect stuff, which would end up wasting a lot of precious space, so you'd have to optimize a lot. Optimization is still important here, but not the huge deal it was in 1 or EZ.

Each chip has its own settings, but most of them have a Processing Mode setting with two possible choices: Halt and Passthrough. Halt will wait for the action to be completed before continuing to the next chip, while Passthrough will proceed without waiting for the action to complete. In this scenario, putting "Halt" as the Processing Mode for the attack chip would make us lock into the attack animation until it ended.

We get a new mission, which is basically just a test to see if the OKE will attack automatically as intended.

This time, we'll create a manual OKE that will respond to your commands through the controller. Before I get into the details, let me explain your mission objective.

Chips like this are categorized as process chips, and are colored yellow. So, by using the Button Input Chip, you can have the OKE read the button state from the controller. The button state is information on which buttons are being pressed, and which buttons aren't being pressed. Once we read the button state, we can put a conditional branch into the program to take different actions based on that data.

Red chips are conditional branches, i.e. an if-else condition. If the condition is true, the "flow" will follow the red arrow.

The yellow chip (Button Input) only has one setting, which is Processing Mode. If you choose halt, the program will wait there until there is a change in button state. Passthrough is generally the recommend setting for this chip, since it will read the button state and advance, even if there is no input (Chi-Ling does mention that in theory passthrough is a better choice as well). In the future we'll get to learn more about the differences between halt and passthrough.

The red chip (Button Assignment) is where we can check which buttons are being pressed/released, if all of them were pressed/released, if just one of them was pressed/released, etc. This way, you can do some cool button combinations for whatever you want.

You can also just use the example solution option, but it's better if you try actually placing the chips, cause she goes into detail on how they work, like explained above.

As you can see, this indicator will show if the given OKE is auto or a manual one. If you have a single button input chip in an otherwise auto OKE, it will be classified as a manual OKE.

And now, another mission.

I managed to barely miss that lunge, but it's ok we did it!

That's the end of today's lessons. Good job!

That was a tough first day... Maybe because I'm nervous? And Kyle is so intense!

Even so... I wonder what's up with Kyle? Even though he got an OKE working on his own, it didn't seem like he was really enjoying himself. Maybe I'm just a boring teacher...

Maybe I didn't take the right approach to teaching or something...

Oh, I just thought of something! I think I have those old notes on my terminal somewhere...

This is the end of this chapter, if you got here congratulations!

This is just the beginning :getin:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Never heard of this, looks really interesting, looking forward to more

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

This game looks cool as gently caress but it also looks like the EXACT kind of game that I would HATE trying to play myself.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This concept sounds fascinating.

Not sure how on board I am with the VN-style interludes between robots punching each other, though. But still, robots punching each other!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

That 'Forgetter' item looks like it's going to be fun to deal with.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

oh man

I saw some ads for Carnage Heart in Game Informer when I was very young, and I found the concept of "you can't control the mech directly, you have to pre-program it" to be absolutely fascinating and it stuck in my craw ever since. But all I could remember was that part of the conceit and a few pictures, not the title of the game. Like having a song stuck in my head for over 20 years and now finally learning the title. Jeeeze

And yes I do love Zachtronics and Gratuitous Space Battles and Gladiabots

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

...God must have a sick sense of humor... A Taiwanese girl, really?

Yes, that's what her resume says.

Partita... can I get a different tutor?

Racist.

Among the candidates, she is ranked as the best. If you change tutors, it could hurt your performance.

At least her lessons are easy to follow.

Oh well... What matters is to continue the simulations. Bring the terminal to my room.

You're going to keep working on your own?

Yes, expanding on what I learned today. I want to push forward on my own where I can.

Time is of the essence.

As you wish.

* computer/terminal sound

Master.

What?

An email has just come in to your terminal. It's from the mobile phone of Ms. Chi-Ling Hsu.

From her? About what?

There is a text file attached. No message body, but the subject of the email is: "Refer to this if you want to do simulations on your own for review or to study for upcoming lessons." I believe these are notebook pages summarizing key points.

...!

I guess she is the best...

That is very high praise, but she did teach us very well, even though it was only one lesson so far.

Just what I need. I'll use it. Partita, get everything ready. Load the data in your memory. You can help me in her place.

Yes, Master.

Before I explain in detail, I will tell you about the mission objectives. Your objective this time is to destroy one drone.

A Rotate Chip allows you to set the direction of rotation, right or left, and also the angle of rotation. For the processing mode, you can select halt or passthrough, just like you can with the Attack Chip. This time, please set the processing mode to "Halt."

For example, if you set the rotation to 180°, the OKE will rotate until it is facing the opposite direction. It will not accept input until that action is complete. That means it will be able to turn only in 180° increments, and not be able to rotate by any smaller angle.

You can choose other buttons if you want to, but I recommend that you assign actions to buttons that are intuitive. And you should set the Button State to "Press Any."

Let's set it up! I did it just like the images shown before, let's see what she has to say for the Rotate Chip.

You can choose to rotate left or right, and choose the angle, as well the the processing mode (halt or passthrough), nothing too crazy here. If you set the angle to 0° it will be treated as infinity however. She then asks us to set it to halt mode and use a 30° angle.

As the story/tutorial progresses, we unlock new features and this is one of them. It'll show a diagram of our CPU logic on the screen when we're playing, which is useful if you want to check if everything is "flowing" correctly.

Now we have to do the mission she gave us: to rotate and attack a drone.

It feels very stiff however, since we are only able to turn in rigid 30° increments.

This occurred because the processing mode of the Rotate Chip was set to "Halt" until the action completed.

This problem can be solved by setting the processing mode of the Rotate Chip to passthrough mode.

When a Rotate Chip is set to passthrough, as soon as the OKE starts rotating...

This diagram is confusing, because the logic flow doesn't do that U turn at the turn chip, what actually happens is that is goes through the turn chip, reaches a return chip below it and then starts at the beginning again.

Because the program's execution speed is so fast, the program runs through the turn chip and arrives at the RETURN Chip in a flash.

And if the button state has NOT changed, the same Rotate Chip will be executed again.

However, if the Button Assignment Chip has been set to "Press Any Once," the OKE will behave differently.

Even if the button is released, the last rotate command processed will execute to completion, so the OKE will not stop rotating right away. In order to make the OKE stop rotating when the button is released, you need to halt the rotate action.

An OKE programmed to stop rotating as soon as the button assigned to rotate is released is easier to operate. Let's move on to some practical applications of this. Let's see what happens when we put an Attack Chip in passthrough mode, as we did with the Rotate Chip.

This creates a problem where the attack is not performed.

The second time through the Button Assignment Chip, it will not branch, and in this case the Halt Action Chip will be executed. Since the Halt Action Chip stops all actions in progress, the attack action will be cancelled almost instantly after execution without having been fully performed. This is a somewhat complex aspect of OKE programming, and you don't need to master all the subtleties right away.

There's one more thing to keep in mind about the Halt Action Chip. This chip stops the OKE's actions, but there are certain times when it can't stop what the OKE is doing.

For now, all you need to understand is that there are limitations to when the Halt Action Chip can stop what the OKE is doing.

We then get another mission to destroy another drone.

But first we have to modify our program to make it better to control (so we rotate naturally and not in a fixed angle).

You can choose if you want to halt: all actions, movement action, rotation actions and shooting actions. We'll set it to rotation actions.

And then we set the turn chips to passthrough mode as well.

We get a new feature to change the battle speed! Now's time to kick some drone rear end.

Goddamn it I miss them every time :smith:

Last lesson for the day, but the most interesting one so far in my opinion.

This intentional cancelling of an action is an important technique to improve your OKE's operability. But if you make any mistakes in applying this technique, it can cause actions to be canceled at points you didn't intend, causing your OKE to perform unpredictably.

This happens when the program flow passes through an action chip and immediately reaches a cancel somewhere else in the program. To prevent this from happening, there is a chip to control it.

Halt is a simple chip to understand, you basically use it to stop the flow of execution for a given time like 1/2 a second or the like. It stops the flow of logic, not any actions that the OKE is physically doing already.

By using a Halt Chip, you can control how long action executed by action chips will continue.

Now, immediately after the rotate action begins, the program will stop running. As long as execution is stopped, the rotation will not be cancelled. This makes it possible to control the duration of actions. There are also other program chips that control an OKE's program execution and actions.

That line there is a good summary of the chip already. It is used to prevent actions from canceling others. This is not the interesting part of the lesson, we'll get there.

There's one other chip I would like to explain to you.

I mentioned this in the previous update, and here they are! They are still very useful in this game. This is not the interesting part of the lesson yet.

The three chips I have just added are all for controlling program execution. None of them make the OKE take any actions. It may be hard to grasp exactly how they work just hearing a verbal explanation, so let's try a hands-on example.

Allow me to show you an example of how to control an OKE's actions using a Halt Chip.

(Halt chip is the one where you stop the processing for a specific time you choose)

I applied her explanation to the logic we had before and now when we press the circle button, we'll do a single high attack and then cancel the next high attack into a far one.

Nice. I then finish the drone off and complete the mission.

I am now exiting study assist mode, Master.

And there we go, another chapter completed! We have a lot more to learn yet! So far we haven't been able to customize any of our hardware, (or even change colors for that matter), but next chapter we'll see a bit of that!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you walk/strafe while rotating?

Also that extra lesson must have taken Chi-Ling forever to type up. What a high effort tutor.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mzbundifund posted:

Can you walk/strafe while rotating?

Also that extra lesson must have taken Chi-Ling forever to type up. What a high effort tutor.

Yep, next chapter we're gonna see how we're gonna implement that :science:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Oh hey a new character!

Food is the source of energy! That's why everyone in Taiwan eats hard and works hard!

You have a full meal at afternoon tea, don't you?

You know it!

Is that really something to be proud of?

Ha ha ha!

You're a piece of work! How do you eat so much and not gain weight?!

My arms have gotten all flabby recently...

Brain work burns calories too, right?

Tsk tsk. I go for exercise! Right now, I'm obsessed with running. It's nice out today, and I don't have any afternoon classes. Want to run with me?

What, now?

I can't! I have my part-time job!

Really? This is the day you work?

Yeah, I started this job last month... It pays really well for a part-time job.

Really? Lucky you! I want to get in on that. Could I sub for you sometime?

I'm tutoring someone on robotics programming at his home. And he's a very picky student. Think you could handle it, Venetta?

Not my line of work... Bummer.

How did you get the job, anyway?

I didn't even go looking for it, actually. The Student Aid Department made a request directly to me through my terminal.

Is you student the child prodigy of some rich family or something?

Not exactly. Rich, yes... But not a kid... It's a guy, an adult.

An adult? Who wants to study robotics programming? By employing a home tutor? That sounds like a strange employer...

Yep... The strangest thing is what he wants me to teach him... How to operate OKEs.

hmm...

OKEs? Aren't those exclusively weapons? Why that kind of programming?

HMM...

He's an odd one. So the lessons are really specific.

Huh.

He's an otaku, then!

:what:

An... otaku?

Right! That's what they call guys like that in Japan... Otakus! And he's gotta be one!

She has such a look of disgust on her face when she talks about otakus. Why you gotta be like that Venetta? :smith:

You could be right...

Well, if you ask me, ALL guys are otakus. They all have their obsessions... They're like little kids.

The only grown-up part about them is... Well, you know!

It depends on who you ask :smith:

Venetta!

Ooh, you turned bright red!

Hey. Chi-Ling... you're 20, right? Half of the world is made up of men. Isn't it time you got a little more familiar with them?

Maybe you're right, but... I'm never comfortable talking about stuff like that...

Ha ha! the girl genius of the Deminkov seminar, all flustered...

Girl genius, give me a break...

Sure, sure.

Well, whatever. When the time comes, you'll understand too, Chi-Ling.

You think so...?

Yes, we're all hardwired for love. When the moment comes, the programming kicks in.

By the time you realize what's happening... it's already too late to stop it.

AI: One new email received.

Hmm? Huh? Urgent?

Huh? Yikes!

Wh-What is it, Chi-Ling? You freaked out all of a sudden.

My employer, said he's sending a car to the university to pick me up!

drat, nice.

And it will be out front in 10 minutes... I have to go! *gulp*

Here, Venetta, you can have this! Please eat it for me!

No way! Seriously, how do you stay thin?

Ha ha ha! Sorry to rush off, Venetta!

No problem. I'll see you when I see you. Have fun at your job!

Okay!

*Chi-Ling runs off

A part-time job plus school... That's two thirds of a full-blow campus lifestyle.

Now all she needs it to find a man...

Well, that sure was a conversation all right.

Let's get back to business!

So we're going to need to move towards them now, huh?

It's a movement chip, you get the gist of it.

If you have a Rotate Chip processing in passthrough mode, and a Movement chip is executed while the OKE is rotating, it will continue rotating as it moves. However, while a move and rotation can be performed simultaneously, neither can be combined with an attack.

In other words, only movement and rotation actions can be performed simultaneously without one being cancelled. Please keep that in mind.

This is interesting. You might think this is a bad thing, but not necessarily. For example, you could cancel out of an attack if you realize it's not going to hit the enemy, or do it as a feint or even to cancel the recovery animation (end lag) of an attack. Let's take a look:

This was just me canceling the initial portion of the attack animation by walking forward. The attack hitbox itself wasn't even active yet. The example below is a more practical one:

Agrios' high attack is normally a 3-hit attack string/combo, but I canceled the rest of the attack just after I confirmed a kill. You could cancel out of it with a jump too. It's not gonna be some Devil May Cry-level stuff, but it's great for mobility or if you are in a pinch. It does look stylish though.

If you do not wish the attack to be canceled, you can always set Attack chips to halt mode.

Now try making a program that combines a Movement Chip and a Button Assignment Chip to allow movement in any direction.

Do you remember when you operated an OKE that first time?

I use the example solution provided. There's an interesting detail here, the example solution provided makes rotation chips flow into the NOP chips, so that the CPU can test for movement controls later as well. If she had not done that, it'd only get one thing or the other per CPU cycle.

Otherwise there's not much to say since the movement chip is exactly the same as a rotation chip, except you have diagonals now (which we haven't used yet).

We get a replay feature to use after battles, nice! :woop:

She wants to explain it to us but that won't be necessary. So our mission now is the same as she mentioned earlier, we need to move closer to some drones and beat them up. I'll spare everyone the details, since it's more of the same.

Next mission!

CUSTOMIZATION :swoon:

YAY :toot:

The visual customization isn't all that it could be but it's nice. We can also create an emblem for an OKE team, but we won't be seeing that now.

:getin:

But there are limits on how many you can use. So now I will explain to you about OKE CPUs, which can allow you to use more chips.

Memory capacity is the maximum number of chips that you can have in a CPU.

This one is fairly obvious. Bigger number = faster speed.

By the way, CPUs with small memory capacity and computing speed aren't necessarily bad.

The length of the shutdown is proportional to the performance of the CPU of the OKE that was hit. In other words, the smaller and slower the OKE's CPU, the shorter its shutdown time will be when hit by an Electromagnetic Pulse Gun.

So a higher-performance CPU is not necessarily better in every case. You should select your CPU based on the armament of your opponent.

But you won't be facing enemies with Electromagnetic Pulse Guns for quite a while yet, so don't worry about it for the time being. What's more important for now is this caution about switching CPUs.

And that's pretty much it for CPUs.

I decide to equip the biggest and fastest CPU currently available since we don't have to worry about EMP guns for now.

Check the top-right corner of the image above. That's quite a bit more space than what we had before. There's bigger CPUs, some with self-contained sub-program areas as well which we'll see later.

Thicker armor = heavier.

Yeah, there's heat management as well. Basically the idea being, what do you build for? Defense? Speed? Heat management? Mobility? There's energy management as well, but we haven't seen that yet.

I choose the thickest available armor for now. There's not much of a difference in terms of mobility to be honest, but this is not the thickest armor that you can get. We haven't seen it yet, but there's an additional armor option as well, where you can equip armor that will protect you more from certain damage types like armor-piercing shells, explosions, beams, energy, shock, heat and stun.

Time for the final lesson of the day:

For example, pressing the up button moves the OKE forward, the L button moves it left, and so on. But what happens when the up button and the L button are pressed at the same time? The answer is...

And the same concept applies for backward directions.

We get a new mission, to use our new 8-way movement to destroy a drone that tries to run away from us. We also get a new feature: a radar display during battle.

Much better!

That was just fine. But there's something I want to double-check about the armor. Is it correct to assume that real-life OKE armor will perform the same way?

Just an otaku... right...

Huh? Well, yeah.

The physics engine of this simulator is top-notch. The defensive value of the armor is probably a very close approximation of the real thing... I think.

Is that so? Thanks for the information.

No problem. But of course, I've never operated a real OKE. So I can't really judge anything except how well it's programmed.

... Are you really that concerned about the degree of accuracy in simulating the real thing?

Yes, it must be as realistic as possible.

If you say so...

(He's so obsessed. It's just like Venetta said...)

He must be an otaku...

What did you say?

N-Nothing! I didn't say anything!

*stomach growl sound

Well, uh , you see...

I-It's not what you think!

I'm telling you, it's not!

*stomach growl sound again

Oooh... I-I'm sorry...

Did you skip lunch?

No, I ate! I ate, but...

... It's my fault for keeping you so late.

Partita.

* door opening sound

Yes, Master?

Prepare dinner.

Right away, Master.

Please inform Partita if you have any allergies or foods that you dislike.

What? Are you talking to me? B-But... I couldn't impose on you like that...

Don't be silly. I was the one who imposed on you today by calling you here on such short notice.

No, it was no big deal...

*stomach growl sound again

Well, I'll accept your offer, then...

I seem to recall that Taiwanese people have gourmet tastes. I hope you like this.

Oh, I'm no gourmet! I love junk food!

Hospitality meal type G26. First, the appetizer.

Are you sure you don't mind serving me such a fancy meal?

Think of it as my little thank-you for the text data you sent the other day. That was very helpful to me. Thank you.

Oh... I'm glad you found it helpful. Those are notes I took when studying years ago. I wasn't sure whether they would be useful to you...

They helped me make a lot of progress on my own. I appreciate it very much.

You're welcome.

Would you like a beverage?

Yes, please!

(I've never eaten such a sumptuous meal... Now I just have to remember the right table manners!...)

(I'll just imitate Kyle! First, I spread my napkin on my lap...)

(And the knifes and forks are used in order from the outside in...

...!

(It's... It's so delicious!)

Whoa...!

Is the flavor to your liking, Ms. Chi-Ling Hsu?

Yes, definitely! It's incredibly good!

Thank you very much, Ms. Chi-Ling Hsu.

Um... Would you please just call me Chi-Ling?

As you wish, Ms. Chi-Ling.

(It's really delicious.)

(That's what you get with an SR-grade android. They're made with ultrafine sensory capabilities to make them as human as possible... Maybe they even taste things.)

I have to be honest, I appreciate how little Kyle speaks since that means I have less things to transcribe.

A moment passes with no one saying anything.

(It's kind of... an uncomfortable silence...)

Um... Hey, Kyle?

What is it?

You know, I was... surprised by how good you've gotten at operating OKEs.

Anyone could do it.

You think so?

I can program the OKEs, but I don't have the reflexes to operate them in real time. I'm terrible at it.

I guess... that makes me a pretty poor tutor. Sorry about that.

No, what I'm interested in is techniques for programming OKEs to handle more complex situations.

There's limits to human reaction time and processing bandwidth. No matter how good you are at OKE operation, you can only operate one at a time. And that... won't do.

He's right. Still very suspicious.

Ah, I mean...

All I need you to do is teach me how to program.

...Okay.

A moment passes with no one saying anything. Again.

(W-Was that... the end of the conversation...?)

Um...

Hm?

Nice weather today, wasn't it, Kyle?

Oh man, nice one Chi-Ling.

Was it?

Ouch.

Since it was so nice out, a friend of mine at college invited me to go running with her.

I'm not very good at athletic stuff. But she seems to like it. She even plays basketball with the guys all the time.

Err... Sorry about that!

Me talking about people you don't even know must be so boring! I'm sorry!

No need to apologize.

Your college... Hmm...

Well, that was... something. Tune in next time, as we learn about faster movement and special attacks too!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Big Scary Owl posted:

Huh.

He's an otaku, then!

An... otaku?

Right! That's what they call guys like that in Japan... Otakus! And he's gotta be one!

She has such a look of disgust on her face when she talks about otakus. Why you gotta be like that Venetta? :smith:

:colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The stupid awkward dinner conversation does a lot to break up the tutorial, it’s fun.

Moving and attacking simultaneously is out, but can you fire multiple weapons at once? Hoping for missile fiesta at some point.

Thanks for showing this game off, it’s incredibly niche and weird but I probably would have loved it if I had found it back in the day.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mzbundifund posted:

The stupid awkward dinner conversation does a lot to break up the tutorial, it’s fun.

Moving and attacking simultaneously is out, but can you fire multiple weapons at once? Hoping for missile fiesta at some point.

Thanks for showing this game off, it’s incredibly niche and weird but I probably would have loved it if I had found it back in the day.

Yeah the conversations are a nice break from the tutorials. You can't fire multiple weapons at once unfortunately (as far as I know).

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Let's talk a bit about the OG Carnage Heart.

In the first Carnage Heart, instead of having a story mode, you instead had campaigns. It worked like a strategy game, where you started with your main base with resources like fuel, money and ammo, with the goal being capturing the enemy bases.

Instead of just building your OKEs and having them be ready instantly, you had to create a design and put it into production lines inside a base you owned, and each OKE you produced cost money, and the more expensive parts you used to design the OKE the more it cost to make them. Then you assembled them into units, equipped them with the necessary fuel and ammo and let them move, attack or defend.

You also had to research new weapons and body types, and that took some time depending on the tech. If you didn't do that your opponent could get an edge on you later with some advanced tech.

If you are really good at programming OKEs however, you could essentially zerg rush the CPU even on the highest difficulty campaign. But replace the zerg with highly efficient machines that overwhelm you with both numbers, and logic. Here's a video of what I mean (video not mine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNMxsC7zp2g

Check out how many troops/units are there on that map, like drat. No upgrades even.

Although the first game did not have a story mode, it did have a second disc that was solely dedicated to video tutorials on how to play the game, which is insanely awesome in my opinion. The entire thing is around 30 minutes, which feels kinda quaint compared to EXA's extended tutorial, but is very much appreciated. I have the entire thing on youtube if you wanna watch it for some reason.

One of the main differences in in the original Carnage Heart is that you had to heavily optimize the CPU logic/software since you couldn't use 8 directions for the chips, which resulted in some really creative logic to get the most out of the space you had (not mine):

It's a pretty cool game I recommend checking it out as well!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is the kind of game I'd never play, so thank you for LPing it! I'm enjoying it so far.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Chi-Ling, don't hook up with the crazy death robot dude

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
no do

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Mzbundifund posted:

This and other comments...I'm not sure amuse me is the right phrase, but I find it interesting that it seems like you're effectively trying to program your way into having a mech that has an Armored Core-esque control scheme. Funnily enough Verdict Day had an AI assistant system that was...I'd say less complex than this, but the spirit is there. Interesting parallels I'm noticing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
When I played Cryptark I bound all four weapon hardpoints to the same button and put the biggest shotgun I could afford on every one.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Snark posted:

This and other comments...I'm not sure amuse me is the right phrase, but I find it interesting that it seems like you're effectively trying to program your way into having a mech that has an Armored Core-esque control scheme. Funnily enough Verdict Day had an AI assistant system that was...I'd say less complex than this, but the spirit is there. Interesting parallels I'm noticing.
I had tons of fun with the UNACs in VD too. Hopefully a new Armored Core game will feature something even more in-depth cause I love this poo poo.

Mzbundifund posted:

When I played Cryptark I bound all four weapon hardpoints to the same button and put the biggest shotgun I could afford on every one.
Never heard of this game before, but I checked out the Steam page and it looks pretty fun.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I would hate playing a game like this. Fortunately I have you to do it for me!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Oh wait, we're doing this already? Alright then.

The idea being that we need to get close without getting hit, but the movement we've been using so far is too slow to dodge incoming fire. So we use this:

Use a Movement Chip for normal movement. To avoid fire and other situations where rapidity is needed, use the Quick Movement Chip. That's the difference between the two.

By the way, what do you think will happen if you fail to dodge and get hit by incoming fire?

We take damage? :downs:

You won't be destroyed by one shot, but if you take enough damage, your OKE will be knocked over, and will be facing in a random direction when it gets back up. In that case, you need to correct your facing immediately. Here's a chip that will be useful in that situation.

But the faster you rotate, the more energy you will expend in comparison to a regular rotation.

She's talking about energy, but to be fair I don't even think you can run out of energy in these missions, or if you can you have to be REALLY trying to do that. If you run out of energy the OKE just stops functioning right there.

Now, let's incorporate these two new chips into a program.

Obviously, you can't just replace a Movement Chip with a Quick Movement Chip and a Rotate Chip with a Quick Rotate Chip, right?

Energy? (Spoilers: it's energy :ssh: )

If you do that, you will expend way too much energy, and your OKE's movements will be frantic. So don't be sloppy in your programming.

The thing is, you could be running out of control buttons soon. So you should use the 8-directional movement that I showed you before.

Do you think this seems awkward to control? Because it sure is! If only we had another set of triggers then this wouldn't be this awkward. Alternatively, I suppose you could set the quick movement and rotation to the analog stick if you won't use it for the camera.

You'll want to line up your chips going right and left from the initial conditional branch. So I'm going to let you change the START position of your programs.

And to move multiple chips at once we can use this:

Like so.

Loading the sample program because :effort:

We can also move faster diagonally, backwards and forwards!

YAY :toot:
We also unlock the ability to change the body of the OKE but there's only 1 type available which is the one we already have: Agrios. Also we can now copy the logic/software from one OKE to another if we wish to.

You thought we wouldn't have to mess with camera controls, did you?

When the analog stick is not being touched, the values of both X-Axis and Y-Axis will be near zero. There is a small factor of error, so they may not be exactly zero.

poo poo what's next, are we going to learn about the PSP's architecture? Cause I'd be down with that.

Another additional parameter to choose for the camera views is the camera distance: long, medium or short.

Basically: if you tilt the analog enough, you will choose a camera view. Up for top-view, back for rear view, and so forth. In this example we're using the values of 60/-60 for the directions but you can choose whatever value you like.

When you are on defense, attacks against you will do less damage, and your OKE will be less likely to get knocked down.

But the Agrios also has a way of extricating itself from this situation.

And now we have to implement the defense and special move chips in our program, but the problem is that we're running out of buttons (drat it PSP), so we are gonna have to prioritize what we actually want to control.

In the defense chip options, we can specify the type of defense and for how long you want to defend. You can guard, which reduces damage, and lie down, which makes your OKE harder to hit and knock down.

As for the special move chip, we have options of which special move to use, in this case: right slash, left slash and back slash.

Let's check out the sample program for this lesson.

In this case, the OKE automatically starts blocking if it detects no inputs from the player, and it will use the special move when we are holding square and moving left or right, which in practice works just like a quick turn that we had before, but now we attack at the same time.

And this is what lie down looks like:

Now let's check out our defense during actual combat in our current mission, which is to fight another Agrios:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_rW8zjbaVU

Whenever you lose a mission, you usually get a hint on what to do or modify so you can succeed. Chi-Ling says that the enemy Agrios cannot block or use special attacks, and suggests to not attack him head-on, so let's try that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaUIlIC-KmI

We could've simply just use the lunge melee attack too and it would have been fine as well.

You did it! You defeated an OKE!
It's amazing how far you have come In such a short time! You have every right to feel confident about how you're doing! Let's stop here for today.

Mm-hmm. Partita.

Yes. I'll see you off, Ms. Chi-Ling.

Um, thanks.

*door closes

Hmm...She really does...

*screen flash

...Wei-Lun...

Don't be silly... It's my own fault. I'm embarrassed to say this happens to me pretty often. The only place I went is the room with the terminal, so it must be...

*door opens

Here it is! Excuse me for disturbing you, Kyle...

Huh?

Kyle: ...

Wha...?

He's sleeping...?

Did you find it, Ms. Chi-Ling?

Shh!

Looks like Kyle fell asleep. I don't want to wake him.

Yes, Ms. Chi-Ling. Pardon me, but could you wait a little while before I see you off? I will move Master Kyle to his bedroom.

Of course. I'll help.

... Thank you, Ms. Chi-Ling.

He's out like a light...

Indeed, Ms. Chi-Ling.

Were my lessons today that tiring? I wasn't trying to cram in TOO much...

I believe Master Kyle was simply lacking sleep.

Huh?

Master Kyle has been sleeping dramatically less. I believe that is the most likely cause of his deep sleep now.

He's not sleeping well? Why?

While he is awake, he studies programming and practices operating OKEs continually.

All the time?

Yes, Ms. Chi-Ling.

So that's how he's gotten so good so fast... But why...?

Please excuse me, but I cannot answer that question.

But do you... know the reason?

(Meaning there IS some reason that must be kept secret...)

Please excuse me, but I cannot answer that question. Not without Master Kyle's permission.

Kyle's...?

*door opens

If I think about it, maybe I shouldn't go in.

I have no orders about allowing others into his room, Ms. Chi-Ling.

(That makes sense... other than Kyle and Partita, there is no one here on the whole estate...)

(Still, I've never gone into a guy's bedroom before...)

*walking

Ms. Chi-Ling. I will lift Master Kyle into his bed now. Would you please assist me?

Of course!

Okay, here goes...

*lifting sounds

Whew...

Thank you, Ms. Chi-Ling.

No, I'm happy to--- What's that?

Chi-Ling: (No, no, it's rude to go looking at Kyle's private stuff! That girl... Who is she...?)

Please excuse me, but I cannot answer that question.

Oh, of course... I'm sorry! How rude of me!

Please excuse me, Ms. Chi-Ling, but I must change Master Kyle's clothes now.

Oh, right! I'll step out right now!

*she leaves the room

(She... She sort of looks like... me!)

... Does she? :raise:
Anyway, that's it for this chapter! Tune in next time where we finally learn how to manual aim, shoot and lock on!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is Energy a hidden value while in a mission? I don’t see it in the HUD anywhere. Is there a recharge rate or do you just turn off and die if you run out?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mzbundifund posted:

Is Energy a hidden value while in a mission? I don’t see it in the HUD anywhere. Is there a recharge rate or do you just turn off and die if you run out?

We haven't unlocked the HUD for it yet (I know, I know...) but we'll be able to see it next update. Energy doesn't recharge normally, but there are optional equipments that we'll see later and one of them allows you to recharge your energy with each use, up to a maximum of 4/5 times. But yeah if energy runs out you are dead pretty much.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Is it possible to mix manual and automatic controls? Right now the game is teaching you how to program things in manually, but surely there's some sort of detection routines later. Is it possible to do a mixed thing where you maneuver manually, but it automatically attacks enemies in range and blocks as needed?

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Looks at picture
Looks at Chi-Ling

Yeah, I ain't seeing the resemblance.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sleep is a mega important part of learning, pulling an all-nighter is about the worst thing you can do if you’re actually trying to remember material.

Kyle your creepy robot should be telling you that instead of changing your clothes on you after you collapse into a futility coma.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Robot lady strikes me as out of shits to give about the guy who mutters ominously to himself in convenient earshot of everyone else.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SIGSEGV posted:

Robot lady strikes me as out of shits to give about the guy who mutters ominously to himself in convenient earshot of everyone else.

Maybe we can one day program her to give a poo poo…

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MechaCrash posted:

Is it possible to mix manual and automatic controls? Right now the game is teaching you how to program things in manually, but surely there's some sort of detection routines later. Is it possible to do a mixed thing where you maneuver manually, but it automatically attacks enemies in range and blocks as needed?

You can actually! However whenever you use manual chips your OKE will count as a manual one, and you can only have a single manual OKE in your team.

I'm proud of you guys, you are learning fast. Chi-Ling's lessons are paying off and I can see a bright future as death machine engineers for you all :unsmith:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Maybe we can one day program her to give a poo poo…

As a proud member of the Synthetic Sapience Liberation Front, I must stand against this bare faced slavery, she's free to not give a poo poo.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Maybe we can one day program her to be free to choose whether or not to give a poo poo…

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

I will dig his grave :getin:

Sure let's start with emblems cause it's pretty quick.

There's nothing much to it, it's a simple editor like MS Paint but you can load other emblems from other OKEs and you have samples to choose and edit from as well.

You can only have emblems in predetermined spots and in this case I chose all spots available which were 3, and I used a bear as an emblem cause why not? At least I think it's a bear. It could be a red raccoon or something, I don't know. A tanuki maybe?

:hellyeah:

The reticle is what aims a weapon.

Uh, third-person shooting on a PSP? That's terrible.

Under Shooting Mode, you can choose Normal Shooting, Shoot Randomly, or Snipe. Normal Shooting is the basic shooting mode, with standard firing rate and accuracy. Shoot Randomly fires the weapon more rapidly, but the aim of the rounds will be dispersed. Sniping takes more time for each shot, and dials up the accuracy.

You can also specify the number of shoots fired, up to a maximum of 16 rounds at a time. Let's load the sample program and check it out:

Here we press triangle...

And the reticle turns on and we fire 10 shots. Simple enough.

Let's get to the mission, which is simple: defeat an enemy Agrios with our new reticle chips.

We can't directly control our reticle yet, it follows the direction we're facing and as a result it's pretty hard to aim adequately. Fortunately the enemy can only use melee attacks so we just stay out of reach while shooting it.

You bet your rear end it did! :argh:

Now that is nice.

There are two options for Basic Direction: OKE Front and Current Direction.

Let's try it out on our next mission, we have to destroy 2 drones, but we're not allowed to move.

It feels very very weird to aim. With a more sophisticated program (and a second analog stick...) you could make a better version of the program that would take into account the tilt of the analog to control the reticle's speed. But this is not really necessary for us right now.

That seems much better suited to the PSP's controls.

Whatever weapon is active will have limits to its field of fire. However, as long as the enemy is within the field, the lock-on will be held.

When you combine Sniping with Lock-on, you get a special effect called deflection shooting.

Of course, if the enemy suddenly changes direction, the shot will miss...

A warning sound will play, and you can even disable it in the menu if it bothers you.

Specify Range's options:

Under Priority, you set how the lock-on target is decided when multiple enemies are within the specified range. The easiest way is to choose Direction Close to Front. Unit Attribute allows you to specify enemies or friends. This means that you can lock on to OKEs on your own side, if you ever needed to do that for some reason. Under OKE Type, you can set what type of OKE you want to lock on to. For now, don't set anything for this one.

Simple enough, when we press Triangle we will lock-on to the closest enemy in a range of 800 meters in front of us, with a width of 90 degrees, and then start firing in Snipe Mode for the deflection shooting. Let's see how it works during the mission:

Much better imo

You can choose icons and enter your own text. It's a bit of extra work but it is a great feature to have.

If a program is written well, it will run well. A program is only as good or as bad as its programmer. If an OKE malfunctions, it's because it wasn't provided with the right commands. "Garbage in, garbage out," as we say. That aspect really bothers some people, but I find it fascinating. A program is like a mirror that reflects your mind.

I suppose so.

Let's stop here for today. It was a good day's work.

... All we did was the assault gun, though...

I want to try a few other weapons, Chi-Ling.

Really? For a sample shooting program, just the assault gun should be enough. Next time, I want to get back into action programming... Do you need lessons on other weapons?

Yes, I want to cover all of that. The strong point of OKEs is their variety of weapons. From beam guns to missiles, they pack all kinds of firepower. Each weapon has its own accuracy and physical effects.

When did you become the tutorial person Kyle?

I want to learn it all.

Um, okay...

And there are different types of OKEs. I want you to give me lessons covering multi-legged types, flying types, all of that.

I want to understand the characteristics of all of them.

That's... fine, I guess, but...

... Going that far takes us to the level of serious real-world combat. It's beyond what a regular civilian would learn... I can't think how it would be useful...

I can: OVERKILLING :blastu:

Do you mean you can't teach me?

No, I could teach you.

In terms of programming, it's just an extension of what we've done.

Then teach me. Start right now.

Huh?

We can knock down at least one from the menu. Even if we just cover it in passing. Then I can push ahead on my own--

N-No way, Kyle!

Er, what I mean is...

I understand that you want to move ahead, but studying is a cumulative process. That's why we work in one new program chip at a time.

Hm?

If you just chase results, you won't learn as much. Results only come through steady application. You can't just rush on ahead. If you make one mistake in laying out your program chips, the program won't function properly.

You know that from the OKE lessons, right?

A program is a program. A lesson is a lesson. Right?

They are the same. Kyle, you can't take shortcuts. OKEs don't operate by themselves. They reflect the mind of a person.

The most important thing in writing a program is clearly defining its ultimate purpose. And it's the same with the lessons. You have to study them through to the end. That's what you're aiming for, isn't it, Kyle?

Yes, of course. So...

If you push ahead when your brain is tired, you will end up with unexpected bugs in your program! As you try to fix all those bugs, you end up practically rewriting the program from scratch.

If that's what it takes, fine with me.

If it's fine with you, why are you so tired you fall asleep at your terminal these days?

:owned:

I hear that you helped Partita assist me on that occasion. I appreciate it. I should have thanked you before.

Oh, come on... It... It was nothing.

If you want to thank me, I'll tell you how to do it: Do it my way for today, Kyle. I have no idea why you are in such a hurry to learn this stuff... But if you want to really master it, isn't reviewing more important than pushing ahead?

There's no way to do this overnight. But I was planning to go on to evasive maneuvers in the next lesson. I'll have to put together a new lesson on weapons.

I understand. Starting next time, then.

Right. I'll take care of it.

So, see you then.

*fade to black

And the truth is, I don't know much about the guy. I'm just his tutor, and he's just my employer...

And that's it for this chapter! Next time we'll learn about the different types of weapons!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Wow basically all those options except the lock-on look pretty torturous to use.

I assume if you run out of ammo then congratulations on your new club and you’d better have programmed a way to use it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Yeah, the manual shooting looks very "in case you need to for some reason." That aiming looked dreadful, but limitations of a PSP, I guess.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I don't know why you'd use manual aiming but it's there I guess

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

:woop:

But not every weapon can be mounted in every slot.
For each slot, only certain weapons are available to mount. And even the same mounting slot on a different body type
may not be able to mount the same weapons.

And the trajectory of the shots is not affected by gravity.
It shoots straight as a ruler.
This makes beam guns perfect for long-range attacks.
It doesn't have the firepower of an assault gun, and its power weakens in proportion to distance. Its rate of fire is also slower than the assault gun.

They have a slow airspeed, and don't have much range,
but they are good for delivering a big punch all at once.

Here in the equipment screen we can see some stats. It's pretty self-explanatory but just in case:
Destruct P = how much damage it does, Launch heat = heat generated per shot, Impact Heat = heat damage on hit.

Let's equip them:

It's similar to what we had before, but of special mention is that whenever we press Triangle we will change our weapon and lock-on at the same time.

The rockets and the beam gun respectively.

The shells are kinda like a long-range shotgun, they have a pretty slow firing rate however. Speaking of shotguns:

That Agrios put up a better fight than the rest so far, I even got overheated.

Wow...a commercial fridge!
And all the ingredients you could think of...

Please use any of them you like.

You' ve got everything I need to make Gongwan Tan or
Lu Wei!

Oooff...
my stomach usually is happy with anything,
but now it has a craving.

Gongwan Tan? Lu Wei?

Yes, these are dishes from Taiwan, my homeland.
Authentic flavors! I hope you like them.

I'm not really a gourmet. So don' t worry about my taste buds.
But... are you really going to cook?

Yes, it's fine. I cook for myself all the time.

Sometimes I get the seasonings a little wrong, though...
Ah-ha-ha-ha!

B-But I'll be extra careful this time!

That's not what I meant.

I have Partita to do the cooking.
There is really no need for you to...

But...You' ve been treating me to dinners here every time.

It's wrong of me not to reciprocate your hospitality...

And also, you have all the spices I need to cook authentic flavors.

Fine then, I'll leave the cooking to you.
Partita, assist her.

Yes, Master Kyle.

Oh-kay! Now what should I cook first? I'll need some pots...

Hey, Partita, do you have any deep pots?

Yes, they are on the top shelf over there.

Above here...? let's see...

Chi-Ling: Oh, this should work. Mmmph, I can't quite reach it--!

Ms. Chi-Ling, I will bring the step-stool. Please wait a moment.

Chi-Ling: No, no, I can manage... Aieeee!

*sound of stuff breaking

Ouch!

Are you hurt, Ms. Chi-Ling?

Urrgh... not really, I just landed on my butt...

Wow! Are these Meissen dishes?

Yes.

Aren't they incredibly expensive? I-I'm so sorry.

*wheelchair sound

What was that sound?

I-I'm sorry! Your Meissen dishes...
I was trying to reach a pot, and I fell, and...

I'm so, so sorry!

You're bleeding!

*the screen flashes

But, it's nothing major, I'll fine.

NO!

What?

Err, I mean... pardon me.

Partita, get the medical kit immediately.

At once, Master Kyle.

You don't have to overreact like that.
It's more important to get this mess cleaned up.

Forget the mess. Partita will handle it later.
First we have to tend to you.

Huh? Why...

Because I said so! Are you hurt anywhere else?

Not really, just bruised my butt...

I see...

Kyle?

I have brought what you requested.

Partita, tend to her injury immediately.
Go ahead and perform a medical check on her while you're at it.

Yes, Master Kyle.

A medical check? Come on...

Ms. Chi-Ling, may I have your permission to conduct a
simple full-body medical scan?

G-Go right ahead, but...

I will begin the scan now.

Body temperature and heartbeat are normal.
A small wound on the back of the left hand is confirmed.
I will provide first-aid with disinfectant and a biofilm.

See to it immediately.

Yes, Master Kyle.
Ms. Chi-Ling, I will apply disinfectant to the wound.

Ouch! It stings!

Please don't move.
And now I will apply the biofilm.

Arrgghhh...

First aid treatment is complete.

Thank you, Partita.

You are welcome.

I'm glad it was nothing serious.

I'm really just fine.
There won't even be a scar from a little thing like this.

About the broken dishes... I'm really sorry.

Don't fret about it. I can always buy new dishes.

All that matters to me is... that you are unharmed.

What is it, Chi-Ling? Does it hurt somewhere else?

Huh? No, nothing like that...

Partita, please re-scan--

I said I'm fine, honestly!

Ms. Chi-Ling, may I rescan you?

No you may NOT. Permission DENIED.

As you wish, Ms. Chi-Ling.

Huff... huff...
(Stay calm, stay calm!
Listen to me, heart, don't go all fluttery on me now!)

Are you really all right?

I'm...absolutely fine.
Really, Kyle... you're making a big deal out of nothing.
This is a really top-notch medical kit.
You must worry about accidents or something.

I... sometimes fall while doing rehabilitation exercises. That's why I keep it on hand.

Really? I see...

I'm always getting bruises and scrapes.
I've even broken bones now and then.

You have? I'm... sorry.
Maybe it's not the time to say, but... It must be hard for you.

I'm used to it. It's merely that...

......?

But if you' re working that hard at it, Kyle, surely you'll
be able to walk again someday.

Hmm? Ah... you never know.
But... that won't! I'll never...

Huh?

This no-good body that can't even run to...

Kyle...?

Never mind. Let's get this cleaned up and eat.
Partita, see to it.

Yes, Master Kyle.

I'll make use[sic] a nice dinner.

Partita, I will help you clean up the dishes.

Chi-Ling?

I won' t make any more screw-ups!
To make it up to you, please let me cook.
Please, Kyle, please.

But your hand...

How many times do I have to tell you it's fine?
If you keep fussing over me I'll feel even worse!
Give me a chance to redeem myself!

You are... surprisingly stubborn.

I understand... go ahead and cook.

THANK you.

But, but can I ask you something, Kyle?
Is there anything you'd like to eat? Or don't like?

I ask for only one thing.

Make it tasty, please.

Of course, definitely!

I'm going to make something delicious!
Leave it to me, You'll be saying 'Yum!' when you eat my
cooking! I guarantee it!

You sound confident...

Want to bet on it?

......!

...Kyle...?

Did I say something wrong?

No...

It's nothing. Forget it... Chi-Ling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ah good ol’ beam weapon projectiles traveling at a blistering 100 kph.

Is Kyle’s left eye damaged? Looks cloudy.