Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

You know a game is cool as hell if I can stomach playing WoW-Like gameplay for it!

What is City of Heroes/City of Villains?

CoH/CoV was a 2000s MMORPG based around comic book capeshit with a unique setting, a robust character creator and a novel replacement for the typical class system wherein your role and superpowers determine your kit. Said powers are versatile enough to let you play near any kind of superhero or supervillain you could want to; an alien with fire and ice powers, a spy with guns and traps, a robot with a giant sword, not to mention the ability to easily recreate any Marvel or DC character that inspired these power sets. That definitely won't be a problem later!

Wait, didn't CoH shut down in 2012?

Yep! This Let's Play will be taking place on the fan-run private server CoH: Homecoming. Google it, it's pretty easy to set up if you wanna zip around yourself and surprisingly active to boot.

----

The game has multiple different main quests, so for this thread we'll be focusing on the City of Villains side of things, wherein you play as a professional bad guy working with the Hydra/AIM/Legion of Doom/US Government equivalent in the CoHverse, Arachnos.

But who is our intrepid young villain, eager to cut his teeth on Mercy Island and become the big bad of the next Cinematic Universe? Well, CoH has always had a problem with people making characters from Marvel and DC, to the point of legal action, so I wanna make sure this iteration of the game stays up long enough for me to beat it. Without further ado I introduce you to Trademarcus, Copyright enforcer.

His actual gameplay abilities are a favourite pairing of mine, Thugs and Traps. Trademarcus doesn't like to get his hands dirty; if blood's gonna splash anywhere it'll be on the muzzle of his pistol, the knuckles of his henchmen or seeping into the confinements created by his web grenades. Shooting from a distance, debuffing and trapping enemies and zerg rushing the poo poo out of them with goons (not to be confused with the Goons of this forum), that's the way Trademarcus rolls.

Let's get dangerous.

Table of Contents

ISSUE #1: Killing Operative Burch!
ISSUE #2: The Snake Hole
ISSUE #3: Clearing out the Infected

arsenicCatnip fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Trademarcus has arrived on Mercy Island, the starting area for villain characters and one of the many dingy rear end locales Arachnos hangs out with. They sprung our man from jail in the tutorial I skipped, so we should go talk to one of their NPCs.

We get a softball for our first quest; an easy way into Arachnos' good books by taking out a would-be double agent. Operative Burch plans to leak sensitive Arachnos intel to Longbow, the SHIELD agents/Red-Shirts of this setting. Plug the bastard and we'll have an in with Arachnos.

Before we head to the flyer Kalinda mentions I'd like us all to take a look at Mercy Island; a demented mix of some dreary shithole American city and Snake Mountain. The fact that normal people live here and are regularly held at gunpoint by Arachnos goons is hilarious, it's like Gotham on steroids.

Anyhoo, time to head over to Operative Burch's whereabouts and sink our teeth into the actual game of this game, namely the missions the main questline will send us into. If you've played other MMOs sharing this game's engine like Dungeons and Dragons Online you'll know the score already; pretty simple levels where you move through and mow down enemies.

Trademarcus gets his first sighting of Longbow Agents and clearly notes them as palette swaps of Bibleman, probably. Better gun them down! For intellectual property!

We don't get access to our thugs until level 2 so our combat plan is simple; web grenade, then alternating between pistols, punches and tasers to whittle their health down. Easy peasy.

Combat in CoH/CoV is pretty simplistic, but enjoyable. A lot of it is just hitting buttons as they come off cooldown but the sound design and animations are good set dressing for it. It's a game I don't have to put a lot of thought into, which is great because I'm not good at thinking.

There is something to activate my neurons though; Inspirations, buffs you get and use mid-dungeon from defeating enemies. You can only hold a limited amount at any given time and they're temporary effects, so you might as well just spam them unless they're heals or revives.

There's Operative Burch, time for Trademarcus to deliver the man his CIA award for excellence in journalism.

AW gently caress-

After killing him and those Longbow Losers we head on back to Mercy Island. We've hit level 2 meaning we can select some abilities from our two power pools. Later on we'll have access to some universal powers that give movement options and other utilities, but for now y'all know what we're going with.

I hope you guys enjoyed seeing Trademarcus working hard, because we're building to make sure that happens as little as possible.

Exploring the hub worlds, you can find lower-level enemies to fight. In the case of Mercy Island you have the Rogue Isles Police, the stupid bastards trying to be the long arm of the law in Supervillain Land.

Get, em boys!

Er, boy.

I was hoping for more than one guy, but he'll have to do. Also disappointed you can't customize the look of your thugs, I would've went stupid designing a Copyright Police uniform to match Trademarcus, but I guess this underdeveloped N-SYNC clone will have to do.

Next Issue: Trademarcus braves the snake hole! Not a euphemism!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I already know that following this thread will have me playing the game again inside of a week but here I am anyways

this is gonna be good

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

drat, I remember playing these games like 15-20 years ago :corsair: Only subscription MMOs I ever tried, and only for a couple months.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Glad there's interest! I was a little nervous posting the thread lmao

Commander Keene posted:

drat, I remember playing these games like 15-20 years ago :corsair: Only subscription MMOs I ever tried, and only for a couple months.

CoH Homecoming is 100% free if you wanna check it out again. I've always bounced off of these sorta WoWlike MMOs but I think CoH was simple enough and tickled my love of comics enough to keep me hooked.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I already know that following this thread will have me playing the game again inside of a week but here I am anyways

this is gonna be good

I echo that, part of the reason I decided to do this LP is to push me to actually play through a full character instead of just cracking it open once every few months, making some stupid rear end in a top hat and then forgetting about them the week after.

Unfortunately I have a family so next update will be post-christmas. In the meantime, this.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

looking good so far OP

:hmmyes:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm happy to see this too. I had a flutter of this years ago, and I would try again if I could find something that was both free and solo-friendly. I really want to play a flying archer of some sort.

By the way OP, let me thank you especially for doing a SS LP and not a video one. Video LPs take much too long to digest.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
CoX is literally the reason I joined these very same dead gay forums many many moons ago.
Thugs/Traps also happens to be one of my favorite combos for MM as well.

Edit: aaaaaand I'm already firing it back up and hopping back onto Sands of Moo, my lactomancer.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

I would try again if I could find something that was both free and solo-friendly

just gonna leave this here

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/3-city-of-heroes-homecoming/

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

As a note: HC is in active development and they are adding new stuff all the time. They recently fixed and updated SG base PvP.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I play fairly regularly on Torchbearer and semi-reg on most of the other servers. @Tatterdamalion if you want to hit me up.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Oh neat! Look forward to actually seeing where this goes cause I bounced off the game a bit after CoV came out.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Good to know someone is keeping CofH going even though it’s officially shut down. Good luck with the LP.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just want to fly around and shoot bad guys with arrows while not bothering anyone. I did play this years ago before archer was a thing, but I never got high enough level to fly. I remember hovering, but not flying.

What are the build options for Archer types? I know almost nothing about this game anymore. I want to play a crowd-control/damage sort who's good on his own. I actually enjoy playing healers, but as I said I don't like being party-dependant.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

JustJeff88 posted:

I just want to fly around and shoot bad guys with arrows while not bothering anyone. I did play this years ago before archer was a thing, but I never got high enough level to fly. I remember hovering, but not flying.

What are the build options for Archer types? I know almost nothing about this game anymore. I want to play a crowd-control/damage sort who's good on his own. I actually enjoy playing healers, but as I said I don't like being party-dependant.

There's an archery primary powerset and a "tactical arrow" secondary powerset which is basically all of the weird gadget arrows characters like green arrow would use. Flying I think is one of the universal powers you can get once you've leveled up a character enough but we're nowhere near that point with Trademarcus so I'll probably wait to explain more when it's relevant to the LP. Still, flying arrow man is definitely something you could do.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I loved playing CoH as a teenager. Never got into CoV so I'm very curious to see that side.

My main back in the day was a weather controller defender which was an insane amount of fun once I got the hurricane power.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

arsenicCatnip posted:

There's an archery primary powerset and a "tactical arrow" secondary powerset which is basically all of the weird gadget arrows characters like green arrow would use.

Specifically on checking the wiki, you've got Archery/Tactical Arrow blaster, and Archery/Trick Arrow Corruptor and Defender [defenders reverse priority to trick arrow/archery]. Sentinels can get Archery, but their secondary will be a defensive set like super reflexes or invulnerability, rather than fancy arrow stuff.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

arsenicCatnip posted:

WoWlike MMOs

CoH was released before WoW and already had better QoL stuff at launch.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

We're back.

I was logged out in the Facemaker clinic because it's the Tailor for Mercy Island, i.e. where you can make and edit costumes. I noodled with a couple of alternate outfits for Trademarcus, maybe I'll show them off. Really I just like messing around in the CoH character creator; it's rudimentary but there's a lot of options and it's just fun seeing what weird combinations you can come up with. Plus, CoH doesn't have any sort of armor system like you'd see in other MMOs so fashion is not only the endgame, but wholly free of the shackles of stats and rolls.

Anyhoo, let's see what Kalinda wants from us.

Arachnos is treacherous and prone to infighting, I'm shocked.

A what?

Sorry?

They did a great job of making the intro mission feel natural and slot in with what a plot-important newbie villain would be told to do: Something significant, but easy to do. It established Arachnos and Longbow, Ghost Spider and Miss Liberty. Overall a great primer on what it's like being an Arachnos lackey.

Now we're going to the SNAKE DUNGEON to FIGHT SNAKES!!!

I'm not complaining, it's just a bit of a suckerpunch. I wasn't expecting the spider guys to have snakes, why would I?

Whatever.

Before I actually head over to the waypoint I decide to dick around on Mercy Island, starting with a visit to the P2W Agent.

This is a bit hazy since I was a child when CoH was out in an official sense, but I believe that NCSoft sold some extra "powers" (i.e., abilities/weapons/mounts), pets and other stuff for real world money. Since Homecoming is a private server it instead lets you pick out a selection of each type for free, and then the ones you didn't pick are available for large piles of the earnable in-game currency.

Point is we're rocking some extra equipment as we head into the snake hole, like this MOTHERFUCKIN ROCKETEER STEAM JETPACK WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Actually gently caress the hole for a bit, let's go bully the overworld enemies. Go minion!

Uh Oh.

It went well. I definitely didn't die. Whatever. Let's go to the stupid hole or whatever.

OH poo poo

Oh wait it's earlygame, I almost forgot, we're good.

If this was straight up a re-used asset from Dungeons and Dragons Online I wouldn't be shocked.

Yooo check out my cool time staff.

And my cool ghost-killing axe.

WE GOT A RUNNER, NO WITNESSES.

Alright I got like, 30~ screenshots of me marauding snake people that you don't need to see to know I marauded the poo poo out of some snake people, so let's skip to me ventilating the last survivor with a magic missile.

This jetpack is legitimately a lot of fun. CoH is very liberal with the invisible walls so you can really just zoom around with little limitations, it makes the hub worlds feel a lot bigger than they are.

Of course, it's the window of christmas, and it looks like the game's given us a gift.

I hope it came with a receipt. Fuckers.

Hey did you know that you can't screenshot quest text in-game, you have to use snipping tool? I just realized that. While I was writing this thread. At 3 in the morning. Like a normal girl.

Seismic Gravestone says gently caress the police btw.

I haven't commented on it much because I haven't gotten many good screenshots in this run but a big part of the fun of hanging around CoH hub worlds is seeing all the goofy rear end characters people make. Some of them you can tell are people's genuine attempts at making comic book superheroes and supervillains, some are random-button randos, some are just absolute pisstakes. Trademarcus lies somewhere in the middle of all three.

Putting on the 'the' prefix when your name starts with 'that' is all the info I need to confirm that you're 1CrazyGuy.

Anyway, let's see what our next mission is.

First the snake hole, now cleaning out the Infected? What are we, the Arachnos Janitor? We have been doing it for free, I suppose.

Charming. It feels like I'm being prepped for a sudden but inevitable betrayal from Arachnos, but I'm not sure where the villain questline would go if we got backstabbed by the biggest villains in the setting. Would be interesting if nothing else.

I got my rear end whooped by a pack of infected on a rooftop earlier in this very post, so I'm curious if we'll get some sort of difficulty spike in mission 3; would be early, but not entirely unwelcome. Guess we'll find out next time!

Hope you all had a good Christmas. No clue how this LP's gonna schedule out when college starts up again but I'm really enjoying it. I'll be putting up a poll on if post 1 or 2 is better as soon as I figure out how just because they were both written in different ways; Post 1 I played, screenshot and wrote more-or-less simultaneously, alt+tabbing in between lulls in gameplay to leaf through screenshots and write up drafts before polishing it all after. With 2 I had played and screenshot everything christmas eve and only did the writing today, so I'm curious which style produces the better output; writing/documenting while playing or playing and then writing after the dust settles. Either way, I'm enjoying making this and I hope you're enjoying reading this.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I admit I've always been genuinely curious about this.

I'm surprised there weren't ever more superhero MMOs.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Quackles posted:

I admit I've always been genuinely curious about this.

I'm surprised there weren't ever more superhero MMOs.

There's a couple! DC Universe Online is probably the biggest one officially supported today. Champions Online is one I know little about but it's on steam and it has a batshit character creator. idk if Marvel has any currently active but they did contract the CoH team to make one in the 2000s after their lawsuit fell through, which is hilarious. It was called Marvel Universe Online, then handed off to another studio and renamed Marvel Heroes, then Marvel Heroes 2015, then Marvel Heroes 2016, and then it died.

I might check out Champions Online at some point, but there's a lot to go through in CoH still and I don't like trying to plan stuff out super far ahead.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Super excited by this, I remember playing a little CoH early days, but never really got into it. And so maybe this is just me speaking, but it'd be cool if you start to get mechanics, levels, etc you shine a bit more of a light on them. I know I don't remember how leveling, new powers, quests, etc. work and would appreciate the reintroductions.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

JohnCompany posted:

Super excited by this, I remember playing a little CoH early days, but never really got into it. And so maybe this is just me speaking, but it'd be cool if you start to get mechanics, levels, etc you shine a bit more of a light on them. I know I don't remember how leveling, new powers, quests, etc. work and would appreciate the reintroductions.

I'm not that familiar myself tbh but I'll make sure to highlight mechanical stuff as I get to it. Gotta make a mental note to do stuff on enhancements next time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Champions Online felt more like Marvel U with the serial numbers filed off on everything and was kinda hard to escape that.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ok only barely related, but op is currently probed for 6 days, but the only probe on op's rap sheet is a comedy sixer from two days ago, does anyone know what the forums are doing

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

biosterous posted:

ok only barely related, but op is currently probed for 6 days, but the only probe on op's rap sheet is a comedy sixer from two days ago, does anyone know what the forums are doing

Looks like they might've been caught up in some QCS stuff that got everyone who posted probed for a week? Weird that it's not on the rap sheet though

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The short version is that the admin panel allows for manual probations that don't show up in the Leper's Colony or rap sheets. For more details, you can take a peek at this tech forum thread.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

thanks for the answers and the gift of knowledge!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Champions Online is from the CoX team but apart from the character creator is not really up to the same bar of quality. Especially after a pretty gross F2P transition.

Also, while the Champions characters do have a long legacy (they're from a late 80s/early 90s tabletop RPG) I am not sure very many people are actually invested in that and I never found them as compelling as the stuff created for CoX...let alone DC or Marvel.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

yeah I was one of the 130 sent to mandatory family bonding by dictator jeff, but I'm back now! WIll resume work on the LP soon-ish, at latest after new year's.

malkav11 posted:

Champions Online is from the CoX team but apart from the character creator is not really up to the same bar of quality. Especially after a pretty gross F2P transition.

Also, while the Champions characters do have a long legacy (they're from a late 80s/early 90s tabletop RPG) I am not sure very many people are actually invested in that and I never found them as compelling as the stuff created for CoX...let alone DC or Marvel.

yeah I only found out Champions was an existing property and not another original IP like CoH itself when googling for this thread. I have tried it out before years ago and that's definitely the vibe I got; similar to CoX, but doesn't quite measure up. That character creator is nuts though, if nothing else I'll show that off as like a bonus or something.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

malkav11 posted:

Also the Champions tie-in comic books - which you have almost certainly never heard of unless you're a horrible nerd - were written by a guy who was very much of the Chris Claremont School Of Putting Your Fetishes Into Comics, to the point where the RPG company had to ask him to stop

and then it turned out they couldn't just make him stop, so later editions of the RPG introduced new canon characters so they could stop talking about the old ones

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also the Champions tie-in comic books - which you have almost certainly never heard of unless you're a horrible nerd - were written by a guy who was very much of the Chris Claremont School Of Putting Your Fetishes Into Comics, to the point where the RPG company had to ask him to stop

and then it turned out they couldn't just make him stop, so later editions of the RPG introduced new canon characters so they could stop talking about the old ones

But enough about Statesman...

CoV was my introduction to City of Heroes. It was such a wonderful random grouping MMO.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nice to see another MMO LP. I always wanted to try City of Heroe, so I look forward to where this goes.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

We're back from the mandatory hiatus.

Per the last post, our mission is to clear out the Infected. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what they're infected with? They don't seem to eat people, just assault them in the streets which seems pretty normal for Mercy Island. Still, who am I to argue with my orders? Let's head on over.

I see the RI Police's method for stemming the pandemic is to shoot at it. I commend Paragon Studios for their realism.

we head into the water treatment facility. I'm gonna be honest, this dungeon doesn't do much different from the last one beyond the different enemy type; we run through it and murder everything in sight. Not much complexity or excitement I'm afraid U_U

I bet you could use this screenshot and convince someone it's from an unfinished Half-Life 1 DLC or something.

Another dungeon down, another species genocided, another level upped. Let's go unlock more powers!

Now that we've hit level 4 we can access the extra power pools! These are basically small powersets that offer utilities or some extra combat options. I think its a smart system; if you designed your character around a support role you can grab a small powerset with some damaging powers to give yourself some fighting potential. In our case, since we have so much firepower, I opted for one of the movement options; teleportation.

This also seems as good a time as any to explain enhancements; Randomly obtained when fighting enemies or completing missions, enhancements are little items you can slot into your powers to lower cooldowns, increase damage, buff them in all sorts of ways.

The weird gimmick about them is that you can only use ones that match the origin you selected at character creation (I selected technology). You can just sell incompatible ones for infamy though so it isn't a huge issue. Like a lot of things in this game it's a simplistic system but satisfying to use. I like when I fill the funny holes and knock 0.5s off my web grenade.

So far I've been doing 1 mission per issue to pace myself, but that last one was kinda boring and didn't take very long so let's bang out a couple more.

Kalinda gives us a big opportunity to prove ourself to Arachnos by working with them to exterminate more Snakes in another part of the Rogue Isles. Let's rock.

I actually like this mission cause you get 2 arachnos soldiers that follow you around so it's sort of like how I was hoping the thugs powerset would work where I have a small army tagging along.

Snooper Troopers, aka SA Mods. Zing!

(USER WAS ADAPTED INTO A MEDIOCRE DISNEY+ SHOW FOR THIS POST)

The worst part of these "Kill all the enemies" missions, particularly in non-linear areas like this, is accidentally skipping a group of enemies and having to track them down since they don't mark enemies or enemy groups.

Oh, I had to talk to this dingus. Ok.

Kalinda sez there's more fuckin snakes in an arachnos lab for us to kill. It seems like we're nearing the end of this part of the quest line, so I figure we should just bulldoze through and get everything done. New year, new part of a 2004 game.

Only some of these snake corpses are my fault, some of these were just here!

Apparently Kalinda used a captured snake to find the location of their leader on Mercy Island. Funny, I don't remember leaving survivors. Anyway, she says she'll introduce us to a new contact after this so we might as well cap this post off with another bit of snake murder.

Okay I gotta stop using the in-game screenshot system. I screencapped these cutscenes cause the snakes were talking about how Trademarcus is really epic (he is, if you claim otherwise ill mass report you) but the screenshots removed the text bubbles so it's just a weirdly candid picture of a capital S Snake

Easily dispatched. Not much of a boss, assistant manager at best.

Still, with this we've wrapped up the first part of the Mercy Island stretch of the villain campaign. Next issue we'll be introduced to a supervillain who's name, I swear to god, is Mongoose. It takes us outside of the big rear end walls of the mercy island hub so hopefully we'll see some new stuff.

I haven't explored any of the side quests either with Doctor Dread or Operator Kuzmin so I might hit those as well, not sure how thorough I plan to be. Any opinions gamers? How good is the side stuff in CoX?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Did they really lower the level of movement powers in this game? I remember playing an electric blaster in early CoH, and I never got to 14 or 16 or whichever it was to get Flight. I did have Hover, but I never got to try Flight.

Also, I'm rather ashamed to admit that I laughed slightly at the police joke.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Did they really lower the level of movement powers in this game? I remember playing an electric blaster in early CoH, and I never got to 14 or 16 or whichever it was to get Flight. I did have Hover, but I never got to try Flight.

Also, I'm rather ashamed to admit that I laughed slightly at the police joke.

Yeah it was originally like 14. I think they may have lowered it later during the official run of the game (I didn't play a ton past the launches of City of Heroes and City of Villains respectively so can't be sure) but it's also possible it's a QOL change for Homecoming.

The F2P travel stuff being just available off a vendor immediately is all Homecoming though.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've gotta hop back on and recheck but I think Doctor Dread has the super fun gather your own supervillain team arc. There is also an arc with a fight club but that might be the same contact. Either way I'd say City of Villains is home to some of the most fun mission content in the CoH/V games and Cap au Diable is such a fun zone when you get there.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Originally you got access to power pools at level 6, but could only take one or both of the first two powers until level 14, when you could take the third assuming you had one of the first two. The third was always the personal-speed-upper power, while first two gave utility powers.

For example, Teleport had the options of Teleport Ally [summon a friend to where you are from across the zone] and Teleport Foe [sniper-range yank an enemy to you, disrupting the group a little - the rest will be like 'where'd joe go' and chase after you, but this gives you and your friends time to put a beatdown on an annoying enemy], and only got Teleport at 14 and Group Teleport at 20.

Similarly Leaping had Combat Jumping [a toggled buff giving a small def boost and jump height increase, plus resistance to immobilizing powers] or Jump Kick [a weak damage + knockdown melee attack] at 6+, and then Super Jump [big boost to jump speed and distance] at 14 and Acrobatics [toggled resistance to knockback and hold powers] at 20]

Homecoming making it so you can grab the 14th level get-around-faster power as early as 4th is a major blessing for zone traversal.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Also they added all the powers from the Fitness pool to just standard leveling up so you didn't have to put points into it. For a long time it was basically demanded that you took 3/4 of the pool to ensure that you could keep utilizing your abilities because you could get the Stamina power which boosted energy regen. In the F2P update they made it baseline so people could play more with their points.

With the Preatoria update they made it so that you could basically use any archtype on any side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
CoH is the only MMO I ever enjoyed, and I downloaded homecoming thanks to this LP. Spent about two hours in character creation so far, no actual gameplay yet tho, lol.