Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I am for the first time in a few years, monetary reasons but also to support a friend who's doing dry January. How about you? Are you planning to take January off, maybe go harder than ever this January?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nah i'm going to continue with the usual daily showers, op

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Fran軋is.
I live in a place that actually has a vast source of clean water so I don't need to listen to people who think they know better than me on this subject sorry OP

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
yes op because i got real sick and have to be on Real Drugs until February

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
I blew out my knee dancing at a show on new years eve and have now caught a nasty cold to go on top of that. So far it's been very dry.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i all but quit drinking back in september op. started climbing and just decided to stop drinking beer. drinking was never really a problem for me but the benefits have been amazing. i was having 1-3 beers daily. feel better and stronger, skin is clear, hair and nails are shiny and healthy, basically never get heartburn now, etc. i dunno how much of that is strictly attributable to cutting out beer and how much is from way increased water intake and physical activity but it's been hella good. took a little while for me to notice the difference

i basically have no desire to drink at all anymore. i brewed beer for like a decade and was always known as a beer guy. i have a keezer in my house and everything. i had 1 beer last month near the start of the month and it did nothing for me. thinking i'm just gonna get rid of all this poo poo tbh

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i all but quit drinking back in september op. started climbing and just decided to stop drinking beer. drinking was never really a problem for me but the benefits have been amazing. i was having 1-3 beers daily. feel better and stronger, skin is clear, hair and nails are shiny and healthy, basically never get heartburn now, etc. i dunno how much of that is strictly attributable to cutting out beer and how much is from way increased water intake and physical activity but it's been hella good. took a little while for me to notice the difference

i basically have no desire to drink at all anymore. i brewed beer for like a decade and was always known as a beer guy. i have a keezer in my house and everything. i had 1 beer last month near the start of the month and it did nothing for me. thinking i'm just gonna get rid of all this poo poo tbh

tbh I have a feeling I'm going to end up the same way, I fuckin love beer and am known as A Beer Guy but over the past few years as I watched more and more of my friends get sober, I realized I'm probably just going to end up doing the same because the benefits so massively outweigh the negatives. It's also getting like INTENSELY expensive to drink even socially and I need to be smarter about where I'm spending my money

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

yes op because i got real sick and have to be on Real Drugs until February

tbh I was sober for 2 separate months in 2021 due to medical stuff and it was pretty dope. That's a big part of what inspired this, I didn't mind being sober THAT much

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Considering it op. I lost 40 pounds 3 years ago and have kinda slid back into bad habits and have gained about 8 pounds of it back over the last year. Some of that could be muscle gain but I stopped doing the stuff that helped me lose it in the first place.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don't drink. Ever, at all. I have no reason to.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I need to dry out, perhaps a good month to try.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I kinda want to. Been hearing a lot about a correlation between anxiety and alcohol use, and anxiety is a BIG problem for me right now.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Nah. Had to stop drinking for a week recently due to some antibiotics. Sobriety is overrated, back to the bottle.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Not consciously, no, but I'm not a heavy drinker as I mostly got it out of my system back in college. Might have a beer or glass of brandy, but that's about it.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

apparently not

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm not going full on dry because that would suck. But I have cutback and aiming to only drink beer on the weekends and my nights off. Rarely drink enough to get drunk though, not an alcoholic lol.

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
I stopped drinking when the hangovers outweighed any of the fun of the drinking. Switched to weed tho which I致e always found more enjoyable, just stopped for about 15 years due to career. Man I知 old

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I stopped drinking completely in my late 20s when it wasn稚 worth it anymore because I always felt like poo poo afterwards. I really don稚 miss or even think about drinking these days.

Highly encourage anyone who痴 thinking about getting sober or taking a break to participate in Dry January. :thumbsup:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I didn't drink for a month, drank during Xmas holidays, starting another month today.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 3, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hadn't considered it but maybe

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
My body is a temple

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I haven't touch that devil water since January 2021 OP!!!!!!!!!!!11

No nicotine since August bitch!!!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Alright well this is now the Dry January megathread and you can choose to abstain from whatever you want or maybe just change your drinking habits or w/e I don't care, we're here to support you!!!!!!!!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What the gently caress is Dry January?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the gently caress is Dry January?

its when you dry out for the month of January, definition's up to you OP

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

seems pretty disrespectful to janus not to drink during his month

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

janus was the god of change and new beginnings op :angel:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

janice used to tell my mom when I misbehaved in class so how about no

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yep, changing from drunk to sober to drunk again every day of his month is what he would have wanted

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Earlier this year I started sampling a ton of different NA beers and was really impressed with how far they came. Honestly though my favorite NA mocktail? idk, is the fizzy hop water Lagunitas makes or Short's Thirst Mutilator, that poo poo is fuckin great

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I pretty much don't drink anyway but would really like to quit nicotine instead of continually being a little bitch slave to this dumbass molecule.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I don稚 really have more than 1-2 drinks per week, so no.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im doing watuary which is the more extreme version where i dont drink anything but water for jan

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i fukcing love water

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
No but going to go back to mostly just weekends / social. Over the last vacation I just kinda entered "whatever" mode at night and had 1-3 beers a night. This was up from 0-2 a night.

I mean, a beer or two a night isn't raging but it's also not something you are happy about the next day. No one is ever like "great, I ate a snickers yesterday." Same idea except something that if left to get out of control can help you destroy lives.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I don't drink that much normally but I'm going to keep my current pace.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

probably do this but with kratom. i need to poo poo again.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Seems like a great way to lose a few pounds, save money, and avoid the plethora risks alcohol has for the drinker and those around them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I am, but I only drink during nice dinners and I won't be having any. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

the plethora risks alcohol has for the drinker and those around them.

I was gonna take the time to google one of those boomer home art things that says "DON'T TALK TO ME BEFORE I'VE HAD MY GLASS OF WINE" but you can just pretend I did