Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for ALL of 2022?
This poll is closed.
:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) 0 0%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:judas: Chris Jericho (ROH World Champion) 13 13.54%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
CM Punk (AEW Champion) 5 5.21%
:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) 2 2.08%
:horse: Hangman Adam Page (AEW Champion) 4 4.17%
:hayter: Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's Champion) 6 6.25%
Jon Moxley (AEW & GCW Champion) 44 45.83%
:cthulhu: Jonathan Gresham (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Jordynne Grace (Impact Knockouts Champion) 1 1.04%
:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) 2 2.08%
:pirate: KAIRI (IWGP Women's Champion) 0 0%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.04%
:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
Kenoh (GHC Champion) 0 0%
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 2 2.08%
Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) 4 4.17%
:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) 2 2.08%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 3 3.13%
:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Princess of Princess Champion) 0 0%
:joel: Switchblade Jay White (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.04%
Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) 5 5.21%
:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
:kingsley: Yuki Yoshioka (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 1.04%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's January of 2023, and once again time to decide who Punch Sport Pagoda's Pro-Wrestling Champion for all of the year was. Each month we've voted for our champion of the month, and in total 912 votes were cast for 56 different champions and 22 championships (plus the "Other/None of the Above" category) across 16 different promotions, roughly the same as for each category in 2021. Below are the results of each month's voting from January through December - click each month to see the final vote count.

To be eligible for voting in this final poll of the year, a wrestler need simply have been the top champion for their promotion at some time during the year of 2022 (January 1st to December 31st). With only 25 spaces to fit into the poll, I have picked out those champions who gained the most votes throughout the course of the year. There were a lot of Champions who didn't quite make the cut this year, they were in descending order of votes: Nick Gage (GCW), Yuka Sakazaki (TJPW), Katsuhiko Nakajima (NOAH), Shingo Takagi (NJPW), Toni Storm (AEW), Arisa Nakajima (SEAdLINNNG), BIG E (WWE), Giulia (STARDOM), Becky Lynch (WWE), Go Shiozaki (NOAH), Liv Morgan (WWE), Mickie James (IMPACT), Moose (IMPACT), Satoshi Kojima (NOAH), Athena (ROH), Bobby Lashley (WWE), Brock Lesnar (WWE), Dr. Britt Baker DMD (AEW), Fujita (NOAH), KAI (Dragongate), Minoru Fujita (Gatoh Move), Ronda Rousey (WWE), Charlotte Flair (WWE), Hiroyo Matsumoto (SEAdLINNNG), Jake Lee (AJPW), Kaito Kiyomiya (NOAH), Konosuke Takeshita (DDT), Suwama (AJPW), Tasha Steelz (Impact), Tetsuya Endo (DDT) & Tsukushi Haruka (Ice Ribbon).

The poll will run for 5 days exactly, at the end of which there will be (hopefully!) a clear winner for Punch Sport Pagoda's Pro-Wrestling Champion of Champions for the year 2022. In 2006 the winner was Bryan Danielson; in 2007 Edge and Morishima shared the win; in 2008 Jericho was the clear choice for winner and 2009 was one long Summer of Punk. 2010 was the Year of The Miz (seriously!) and 2011 AND 2012 saw CM Punk return to the top spot, becoming a 3 time Champ of the Year as well as winning two consecutive years. Okada dominated 2013 and the monthly polls in a way like nobody has ever done before, and in 2014 AJ Styles' career resurgence since leaving TNA was rewarded with the Champ of the Year decision. 2015 saw the first ever Woman Champion of the Year in Bayley, even more impressive since NXT wasn't included as an option on any monthly polls (then was, now isn't again). Then in 2016 AJ Styles become only the second wrestler to win the yearly poll for a second time. Okada wasn't far behind, winning the yearly poll in 2017 to also become a two time champ, and then he did one better in 2018 by becoming a three time champ, a feat so far only matched by CM Punk. Chris Jericho's remarkable 2019 brought him him back to Champ of the Year Status for the first time in over a decade, then Jon Moxley's carrying of AEW on his shoulders during the worst of the pandemic won him the top spot in 2020, before Kenny Omega's remarkable run as AEW (and Impact!) Champion saw him reign supreme in 2021.

Who will win 2022? Somewhat fittingly, the currently feuding Jon Moxley and Hangman Adam Page dominated the polls this year, but will Moxley's loss of the title and Hangman's lengthy absence due to concussion (at the hands of Moxley!) cost them votes? New Japan was represented by Kazuchika Okada and Switchblade Jay White, but while the latter was on fire mid-year his almost entire absence from much of the last third of the year might cost him too. Chris Jericho had a phenomenal run as the Ocho, winning and promising to defile the Ring of Honor Championship, but maybe recency bias will see Jamie Hayter's incredible high profile match against Hikaru Shida give her the neccesary momentum? But while those were this year's big winners, there are plenty of other Champions to choose from too. Will Josh Alexander and Jordynne Grace's workhorse status for Impact pay off? Will people recognize Syuri's astonishing year-long title reign in Stardom? Who will be the dark horses? Does Kiyomiya FINALLY seemingly shucking off the Muta stink work in his favor? Does Higuchi's badass flagbearing for DDT bring him to the fore? Does everybody remember how unbelievably cool Miyu Yamashita is? Does Nick Gage murder the competition? Or somebody else entirely? Claudio! Baliyan Akki, Kento Miyahara, CM PUNK!?!

Below are the eligible Champions. To avoid any potential bias, I've listed the wrestlers in alphabetical order and simply included a list of their title defenses. Feel free to argue or promote the case of your favorite wrestler as you see fit. This time around there is no None of the Above option, there are the champs we have to choose from, and one of these wrestlers will be the Champion of the year!

:axe: Baliyan Akki (Super Asia Champion) - Defeated Chon Shiru to win title at Gatoh Move Chocopro #197 on 29 January. Retained title against Minoru Fujita, Ken Ohka, Emi Sakura, Shin Suzuki, Tony Deppen, Kaori Yoneyama, TAMUA and Cole Radrick. Ended 2022 as Champion.

:thurman: Bianca Belair (Raw Women's Champion) - Defeated Becky Lynch at Wrestlemania 38 on 2nd April. Retained title against Sonya Deville. Retained title against Asuka and Becky Lunch (Triple Threat), Carmella, Carmella (Count Out Loss), Carmella, Becky Lynch, Sonya Deville, Bayley (Ladder Match) and Bayley (Last Woman Standing). Ended 2022 as Champion.

:judas: Chris Jericho (ROH World Champion) - Defeated Claudio Castagnoli to win title at Grand Slam on 21 September. Retained title against Bandido, Bryan Danielson, Dalton Castle and Colt Cabana. Retained title against Bryan Danielson, Claudio Castagnoli and Sammy Guevara in a Fatal Four Way at Full Gear. Retained title against Tomohiro Ishii. Lost title to Claudio Castagnoli at Final Battle on 10 December.

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) - Defeated Jonathan Gresham to win the title at Death Before Dishonor on 23 July. Retained title against Konosuke Takeshita, Dustin Rhodes, Ari Daivari and Dax Harwood. Lost title to Chris Jericho at Grand Slam on 21 September. Defeated Jericho at Final Battle on 10 December to regain title. Ended 2022 as Champion.

CM Punk (AEW Champion) - Defeated Hangman Adam Page to win the title at Double or Nothing on 29 May. Immediately had to vacate title due to injury. Lost first attempt to regain title against Jon Moxley on 24th of August, then defeated him on the rematch on 4 September at All Out. Stripped of the title again after both getting badly injured in the match and also getting into a lockerroom brawl with Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks after he badmouthed them during the Post-PPV Media Scrum.

:baby: El Lindaman (G-REX Champion) - Became the first ever G-REX Champion at GLEAT G PROWRESTLING Ver. 18 on 22nd February. Retained title against Quiet Storm, Shigehiro Irie, Tetsuya Izuchi, DOUKI, Takanori Ito and Kaito Ishida. Ended 2022 as Champion.

:horse: Hangman Adam Page (AEW Champion) - Started 2022 as Champion. Retained title against Bryan Danielson, Lance Archer in a Texas Death Match. Retained title against Adam Cole and Dante Martin. Retained title against Adam Cole in a Texas Death Match, lost title to CM Punk at Double or Nothing on 29 May.

:hayter: Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's Champion) - Defeated Toni Storm at Full Gear on 19 November. Retained title against Hikaru Shida on Dynamite on 21 December. Ended 2022 as Champion.

Jon Moxley (AEW & GCW Champion) - Started 2022 as GCW Champion, retained title against Homicide, AJ Gray, Tony Deppen, Blake Christian and Effy. Lost title on 8 October to Nick Gage. Won the vacant AEW Title against Hiroshi Tanahashi at Forbidden Door on June 26th. Retained title against Brody King, RUSH, Chris Jericho, CM Punk. Lost rematch to CM Punk at All Out on September 4th. Won the vacant AEW Title on September 21st, retained title against Hangman Adam Page and Penta El Zero Miedo. Lost title to MJF at Full Gear on 19 November.

:cthulhu: Jonathan Gresham (ROH World Champion) - Started 2022 as Champion. Retained title against Chris Sabin, Steve Maclin, 2 Cold Scorpio, Josh Alexander (Double Pin), Chris Ridgeway, Cody Chhun, Nick Aldis, Dean Allmark, Santana, Emeritus (Referee's Decision), Fabio, Cara Noir (winning PROGRESS World Title as well), Bandido, Dalton Castle and Lee Moriarty. Lost title to Claudio Castagnoli at Death Before Dishonor on 23rd July.

Jordynne Grace (Impact Knockouts Champion) - Won title in a Queen of the Mountain match against Chelsea Green, Deonna Purrazzo, Mia Yim and Tasha Steelz at Slammiversary on 19 June. Retained title against Tasha Steelz. Retained title against Deonna Purrazzo and Rachel Ellering (Triple Threat), Miya Yim, Masha Slamovich, Gisele Shaw and Masha Slamovich (Last Knockout Standing). Ended 2022 as Champion.

:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) - Defeated Moose to win title at Rebellion on 23 April. Retained title against Moose, Tomohiro Ishii, Gabriel Fuerza, Mik Drake, Eric Young, Aiden Price, Joe Doering, Jacob Fatu (No Contest), Alex Shelley, Bhupinder Gujjar, Masha Slamovich, 1 Called Manders, Eddie Edwards, Bobby Fish, Alexander Hammerstone (No Contest), Frankie Kazarian, Speedball Mike Bailey, Kevin Blackwood, Channing Decker (No Contest) and Harlon Abbott. Ended 2022 as Champion.

:pirate: KAIRI (IWGP Women's Champion) - Won the first ever IWGP Women's Championship by defeating Mayu Iwatani at NJPW/Stardom Historic X-Over on November 20th. Ended 2022 as Champion.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Shingo Takagi at Wrestle Kingdom on January 4th. Retained title against Will Ospreay, Tetsuya Naito, Zack Sabre Jr., and Tetsuya Naito. Lost title to Switchblade Jay White at Dominion on 12 June.

:thatsrad: Kazusada Higuchi (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Won vacant title on 3 July at King of DDT Final Round. Retained title against Tetsuya Endo, Konosuke Takeshita, Shinya Aoki, Yukio Sakaguchi and Yuki Ueno. Ended 2022 as Champion.

Kenoh (GHC Champion) - Defeated Satoshi Kojima at NOAH Destination on 16th July to win the title. Defeated by Kaito Kiyomiya at Grand Ship Pro-Wrestling Love Forever 2 "Outbreak" on 2th September.

Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Won vacant Triple Crown at AJPW's New year Wars Night 3 on the 23rd of January. Retained title against Abdullah Kobayashi, Shuji Ishikawa, Yuma Aoyagi and T-Hawk. Lost title to Jake Lee at Champions Night 4 50th Anniversary Tour on 19 June. Regained title on 18 September at AJPW 50th Anniversary by defeating SUWAMA. Retained title against Naoya Nomura and Takao Omori. Ended 2022 as Champion.

Miyu Yamashita (Princess of Princess Champion) - Started 2022 as Champion. Retained title against Mizuki on 14 January. Lost title to Shoko Nakajima at Grand Princess on 19 March.

:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) - Defeated Jon Moxley at Full Gear on 19 November to win title. Defeated Rick Starks on Dynamite on 14 December. Ended 2022 as Champion.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) - Defeated Brock Lesnar to win title at Wrestlemania 38 on April 3rd. Retained title against Matt Riddle, Brock Lesnar, Drew McIntyre and Logan Paul. Ended 2022 as Champion.

:krakken: Shoko Nakajima (Princess of Princess Champion) - Defeated Miyu Yamashita to win the title at Grand Princess on 19 March. Retained title against Yuki Aino, Hyper Misao, Yuka Sakazaki and Rika Tatsumi. Lost title to Yuka Sakazaki at Wrestle Princess 3 on 9 October.

:joel: Switchblade Jay White (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Kazuchika Okada to win the title at Dominion on 12 June. Retained title against Adam Cole, Hangman Adam Page and Kazuchika Okada in a Fatal Fourway at the AEW/New Japan Forbidden Door PPV. Retained title against Tama Tonga at Declaration of Power on 10 October. Ended 2022 as Champion.

Syuri (World of Stardom Champion) - Started 2022 as Champion. Retained title against MIRAI, Giulia, Mayu Iwatani, Himeka, Risa Sera, Momo Watanabe, Tam Nakano, Nanae Takahashi, Maika and Utami Hayashishita. Lost title to Giulia at Stardom Dream Queendom on 29 December.

:skeltal: Thunder Rosa (AEW Women's Champion) - Defeated Dr. Britt Baker DMD to win the title at Dynamite on 16 March. Retained title against Nyla Rose, Serena Deeb, Marina Shafir, Toni Storm, Miyu Yamashita and Jamie Hayter. Vacated the title due to injury.

:kingsley: Yuki Yoshioka (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Defeated KAI to win thte title on 30 July at Kobe World Ultimo Dragon 35th Anniversary. Retained title against Kota Minoura, Eita, YAMATO and Masaaki Mochizuki. Ended 2022 as Champion.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

5 days to vote on this one, there were a LOT of great champions this year, and I'll be really interested to see which of them manages to come second against Jon Moxley!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Part of me wants to vote for Miyu or Shoko but

Jerusalem posted:

5 days to vote on this one, there were a LOT of great champions this year, and I'll be really interested to see which of them manages to come second against Jon Moxley!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ocho

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

the ocho

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

KENTO! KENTO! KENTO!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

C

M

PUNK

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Voted for Mox. Feels good.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

It's Mox and it's not particularly close

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mox was the guy that Big Biceps Tony relied on to steady the ship, twice, and delivered week in, week out.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Fentry posted:

It's Kento and it's not particularly close

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

It's Syuri and it's not particularly close

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Crapple! posted:

It's Syuri and it's not particularly close

Yeah, 18-1 to Mox at the moment. Not particularly close indeed. :smug:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Mox couldn't have dragged Abdullah Kobayashi to a watchable match

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, 18-1 to Mox at the moment. Not particularly close indeed. :smug:

And he had more title reigns than her this year too.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I went with Jaime because AEW is the only promotion I watch, she's the closest thing to a hometown hero I've ever had, she doesn't insist on bleeding in every match, and I dunno, I just think she's neat.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!
I voted for Miyu Yamashita because, even though she didn't do it this year, she has at one point suplexed a big teddy bear.

Can Roman Reigns say that?

Proof:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My brain said Mox, for everything he did to keep things moving in AEW.

My heart said :hayter:, because that's the story/win where I was the most invested in 2022. I was so pissed off when Britt cost Jamie the championship at All Out and I marked the gently caress out at Full Gear.

I went with my heart.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

I voted for Miyu Yamashita because, even though she didn't do it this year, she has at one point suplexed a big teddy bear.

Proof:

I don't know why, but I'm sure the bear deserved it!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Mox became the Ace of AEW this year.

Somebody's injured? Mox can sub in. Somebody had a loving meltdown and at least 6 months of booking plans are out the window? Mox can pick up the slack.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Proof:

im being swayed

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Oh, was that not what was supposed to happen?

let’s go mox love da mox baby

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
no competition, mox was already great but now he's an ace

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

D E A T H - R I D E R

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BodyMassageMachine posted:

D E A T H - R I D E R

No, no, Shota is gonna win the poll next year.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I voted for CM Punk because when I think back on this year it won't be on Moxley carrying the company when called on in need as much as it pains ne to say it. 2022 will be the year of CM Punk and all the drama that entails.

gently caress him ever coming back though, he used to complain he was never given the keys to the kingdom and he deserved it and he was right. Here he was given the keys and looked at it and realised he didn't know what to do with them so burned the castle to the ground leading to AEWs worst year overall that took nearly half a year to recover from.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

got to give the nod to mox. he stepped up and proved himself a company ace this year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We're closing in on the end of the first day, there's a clear leader established but as always every vote counts and no lead is unassailable. Don't forget to get in your vote or to make your argument for who other people should vote for if they haven't yet!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I voted for Roman because even though I don't watch WWE I've seen his stuff via reddit posts and it's been an awful lot of really good stuff so I think he deserves to be more than just an also-ran

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jerusalem posted:

To be eligible for voting in this final poll of the year, a wrestler need simply have been the top champion for their promotion at some time during the year of 2022 (January 1st to December 31st). With only 25 spaces to fit into the poll, I have picked out those champions who gained the most votes throughout the course of the year. There were a lot of Champions who didn't quite make the cut this year, they were in descending order of votes: Nick Gage (GCW), Yuka Sakazaki (TJPW), Katsuhiko Nakajima (NOAH), Shingo Takagi (NJPW), Toni Storm (AEW), Arisa Nakajima (SEAdLINNNG), BIG E (WWE), Giulia (STARDOM), Becky Lynch (WWE), Go Shiozaki (NOAH), Liv Morgan (WWE), Mickie James (IMPACT), Moose (IMPACT), Satoshi Kojima (NOAH), Athena (ROH), Bobby Lashley (WWE), Brock Lesnar (WWE), Dr. Britt Baker DMD (AEW), Fujita (NOAH), KAI (Dragongate), Minoru Fujita (Gatoh Move), Ronda Rousey (WWE), Charlotte Flair (WWE), Hiroyo Matsumoto (SEAdLINNNG), Jake Lee (AJPW), Kaito Kiyomiya (NOAH), Konosuke Takeshita (DDT), Suwama (AJPW), Tasha Steelz (Impact), Tetsuya Endo (NOAH) & Tsukushi Haruka (Ice Ribbon).

Sorry to be "that guy" but Endo is DDT not Noah.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I mean, it's Moxley. There were a lot of good champs in a lot of good promotions this year. Plenty of people who were worthy of the title they held and added prestige to their promotions. But Mox...

I could see a world where the Punk thing just absolutely hosed AEW. Where they corrected and overcorrected and hotshotted the title looking for someone to get them as far from Punk as possible. But they didn't, because they didn't have to. They had a fixed point who gave them a course to follow between All Out and Full Gear, just as he had between Double Or Nothing and All Out. This was the year that Mox proved how much he was worth to AEW.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

Sorry to be "that guy" but Endo is DDT not Noah.

Thanks, and fixed!

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

IcePhoenix posted:

I voted for Roman because even though I don't watch WWE I've seen his stuff via reddit posts and it's been an awful lot of really good stuff so I think he deserves to be more than just an also-ran

If you are voting for Roman ITT, but mean 'the Sami/Bloodline storyline' then you probably have a good argument. Sami has sent the Roman segments into another level and Roman has been excellent playing off of him.

If you are taking this poll as the specific performer in a vacuum, and talking about their matches, Roman is probably not in my top five, and I only watch NJPW, AEW and WWE.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Lamuella posted:

I mean, it's Syuri. There were a lot of good champs in a lot of good promotions this year. Plenty of people who were worthy of the title they held and added prestige to their promotions. But Syuri...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping back to page 1, don't forget to vote!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Proof:

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know why, but I'm sure the bear deserved it!

:smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You know what you did :colbert:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Jerusalem posted:

You know what you did :colbert:

I do. :smith: