Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I feel like from as long as I had any concept of money, 100k seemed like an unfathomably large amount of money, but that was in like 1995, and with inflation that would literally be the equivalent of almost 200k today.

But still, in my head when I see a job posting for like 110k my gut reaction is “wow that’s a lot” despite it being less than what I make now. It’s that heavily anchored in our heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

:jerkoff:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
They're paying in Biden Bucks these days my friend, things ain't what they use to be

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

E l l a s m i t h

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pencilhands posted:

I feel like from as long as I had any concept of money, 100k seemed like an unfathomably large amount of money, but that was in like 1995, and with inflation that would literally be the equivalent of almost 200k today.

But still, in my head when I see a job posting for like 110k my gut reaction is “wow that’s a lot” despite it being less than what I make now. It’s that heavily anchored in our heads.

Thinking about American Beauty where he gets 60,000 dollars in severance which is today like 150,000 dollars and just how unreal that film was.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Its something like 3x the median wage for a full time worker in the US and only slightly lower than 3x the Canadian median so yes it's a lot and anyone who says it is t needs a reality check.

That reality check is going to be the economy collapsing to the point where it wipes out all their wealth and lol it's gonna happen soon.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 9, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah 2008 proved that ain't gonna happen

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
It's not that much for a family, pretty good for a single person with no kids. The goal post def moved op

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
no

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No, it seems like what someone should be making at a minimum in this stupid country. Seems kinda small, really. Pretty sure if you totaled up the incomes for everyone in the country and divvied it up it would be more than 100k. I'm probably wrong though.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Even in my lovely part of California a bottom end 6 fig income isn't really enough for a family to live on unless like you wanna live in a trailer and eat chump soup every meal but idk it still seems like a big number and kinda the standard for "you made it"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
yes, partly because I make more than that and feel like an enormous fraud every day for doing so, and partly because it should be more than enough for someone to live and thrive on but this demon cracker nation makes that impossible

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

200k is the new six figures then?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Salaries loving sucks if you work more than 45 hours a week. You screw yourself out of that sweet overtime pay

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I would love to make 100k a year OP. Tell me your secrets.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Devils Affricate posted:

They're paying in Biden Bucks these days my friend, things ain't what they use to be

Can’t even afford a carton of eggs with 100k biden bucks.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I would love to make 100k a year OP. Tell me your secrets.

have you looked into coding bootcamps

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm in the same mental space: in my head, a $100k salary is Big Time Money. The kind of salary I once hoped to achieve one day, but right now I don't think I ever will. My salary today is double what it was 20 years ago, and I'm closer to the top of the org chart, but in spite of that I feel a lot poorer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

debating eating my sandals because in the information age an internet connection comes before clean feet

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Is a 6.5 inch dick still considered big, or does it have to be nine or ten inches now?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

First of May posted:

Is a 6.5 inch dick still considered big, or does it have to be nine or ten inches now?

It was never considered big. :smug:

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
ya'll can get that salary ez with hard work, talent, persistence, luck, and just chilling the gently caress out

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

First of May posted:

If u wanna see a big dick....

JUST TURN OFF UR MONITOR!!!!!!! XD

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

EvilJoven posted:

Its something like 3x the median wage for a full time worker in the US and only slightly lower than 3x the Canadian median so yes it's a lot and anyone who says it is t needs a reality check.

That reality check is going to be the economy collapsing to the point where it wipes out all their wealth and lol it's gonna happen soon.

I think his point was more that it's not a lot of money anymore in the context of what it affords you these days - inflation etc

Yeah it's a high salary compared to the median, but that doesn't make it "a lot of money" unless you ignore the value of those dollars and how they've fallen. It actually just means that a majority of people are woefully underpaid.

So yeah I think we all agree, is my point.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

First of May posted:

if you have to ask...

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
If you live in Manhattan or the SF Bay area, no. But otherwise yes it's a lot of loving money.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
where im at and how i live thats a lot yes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

If you live in Manhattan or the SF Bay area, no. But otherwise yes it's a lot of loving money.

Yeah, that. Or, since this is America, have medical bills.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I make over 100k but it's in gift cards

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Icochet posted:

I make over 100k but it's in gift cards

itunes or amazon?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If you live in the uk that varies from basically nothing to a lot depending on where in the uk you are.

Wages in thr UK suck generally though thanks to thatcher.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Drone_Fragger posted:

If you live in the uk that varies from basically nothing to a lot depending on where in the uk you are.

Wages in thr UK suck generally though thanks to thatcher.

same here thanks to Reagan

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

itunes or amazon?

A small and largely debunked science museum

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
$100k/year would basically double my salary so yeah

but I live in the upper midwest where $55-60k per year (depending on overtime) still pays for a mortgage and utilities instead of abject poverty in California or New York

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Is 7 inches still stuck in your head as thats an enormous penis?

I feel like from as long as I had any concept of dick, 7 seemed like an unfathomably large amount of dong, but that was in like 1995, and with inflation pumps that would literally be the equivalent of almost 13 inches today.

But still, in my head when I see a job posting for like 7 inches of donger my gut reaction is “wow that’s a lot” despite it being less than what I have now. It’s that heavily anchored in our heads.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
100k was about the point where, as a single renter, i started to feel like i was getting ahead of bills and could relax a little bit

its not life changing money, but it's about where financial security starts

whomever upthread said that is what everyone should be making was onto something i think

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Dr.Smasher posted:

$100k/year would basically double my salary so yeah

but I live in the upper midwest where $55-60k per year (depending on overtime) still pays for a mortgage and utilities instead of abject poverty in California or New York

same

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The minimum wage is 7.25 dollars an hour in the us.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bone emulator posted:

The minimum wage is 7.25 dollars an hour in the us.

That's the Federal minimum wage - a lot of states have higher minimums than that.

Also, though, in many states you can be paid less than Federal minimum if you get tips, because capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That's what, like $8300 a month pre-tax? That's probably like 2.5x what the average person here makes. Yeah that's a salary so large I have no idea what I would do with all of that money. The median rent in the USA is like $1600 now and that's mostly due to CA and NY being extremes, the average is like $1300 or something. That'd leave you with maybe $5000 in free spending money after taxes, which is just a silly amount.