Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

thread for discussing emulation handhelds (e.g. Retroid Pocket, Anbernic RG, Ayn Odin, Soulja Boy consoles, weird custom Raspberry Pi portable builds, etc.) talk about which ones you like, which ones you hate, which ones are hilariously stupid looking, etc. or just use this thread to make fun of me for enjoying these things in the first place.

https://twitter.com/souljaboy/status/1627416972882505728?cxt=HHwWgMDToanH35UtAAAA

i know that OG hardware is the way to go, or that a Steam Deck absolutely shits all over every single one of these handhelds in terms of performance and features, but sometimes you just want a nice lil Game Boy-type thing to play old RPGs on the bus or whatever. these little emulation handhelds are perfect for this.

i've had an Anbernic 351M in black for a couple years, and bought a 351P in purple for my gf for this last christmas. these were pretty nice for the price when they were released but have definitely been outshined by stuff that's come out in the past year or so. they'll play up to PS1 just about flawlessly, excluding N64 and some more demanding arcade games. i'd honestly recommend the plastic model (351P) over the metal one as it's more comfortable to play for extended periods of time and cheaper. the screen is the same size/resolution as a GBA's, so GBA games look perfect on it. other stuff gets crushed or stretched a bit. these are very solidly built devices and the AmberELEC custom firmware works really well and has a lot of useful configuration already done for you.

i got my tax return recently and just ordered a Retroid Pocket 3+ as an upgrade, i'll probably give my 351M to a friend or family member when it comes in. hype for the bigger screen, support for newer consoles, HDMI out, and hall effect sticks. these things are supposed to be able to play up to Dreamcast and Gamecube games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Placeholder.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me
Someone buy me one

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have a Retroid Pocket 3+ and it kicks rear end. The only thing that has sucked is that the PSP emulator has just enough input lag to make Gitaroo Man Lives unplayable. But apparently that's an issue with the Android version of the emulator and not the console itself. Everything up to Dreamcast works pretty much perfectly and the screen is fantastic

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I have a Retroid Pocket 3+ and it kicks rear end. The only thing that has sucked is that the PSP emulator has just enough input lag to make Gitaroo Man Lives unplayable. But apparently that's an issue with the Android version of the emulator and not the console itself. Everything up to Dreamcast works pretty much perfectly and the screen is fantastic

i'm pretty sure gitaroo man lives is unemulatable, ive tried on psp, vita, and pc and theres always fuckin lag

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i'm loving pissed that they released the pocket 3+ two months after the pocket 3. lovely sales tactic for a good handheld.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i'm glad i was broke when the 3 came out because i absolutely would have bought one and proceeded to be furious at the 3+ announcement

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

There's a program called Emudeck for the Steam Deck has made emulation so incredibly simple, I'm basically this guy now but portable:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

There's a program called Emudeck for the Steam Deck has made emulation so incredibly simple, I'm basically this guy now but portable:

yeah it kicks rear end

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

oh this thread can also be used to discuss FPGA stuff like the Analogue Pocket. FPGA ftw

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

tmfc posted:

oh this thread can also be used to discuss FPGA stuff like the Analogue Pocket. FPGA ftw

i hadnt messed around with the super game boy core for the pocket until yesterday and was pleased to find it can also load games from the cartridge port. the pocket's neat i wish the dock didn't suck and they weren't glacial on the firmware updates

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I'd really like one but I don't even know where to start with these things. Just as well since I don't have the money to spare on one anyway.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

I'd really like one but I don't even know where to start with these things. Just as well since I don't have the money to spare on one anyway.

my retroid pocket 2 is just collecting dust. it's a gen back but goes up to ps1. it's a pretty cool device for jrpgs on the go and text on it is surprisingly readable for such a small screen. i could do like 30 bucks, pm if you're interested

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I just want to say that my custom firmware N2DSXL is the best $75 I've ever spent

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

bees x1000 posted:

I just want to say that my custom firmware N2DSXL is the best $75 I've ever spent

i tried so hard to get one every time Nintendo put up the refurb ones for $90 but they always sold out immediately

i love my 351p

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

John Romero posted:

i tried so hard to get one every time Nintendo put up the refurb ones for $90 but they always sold out immediately

i love my 351p

Yeah - your 3.51” peen

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah - your 3.51” peen

lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

same, had to do a bit of fiddling and install a different version of the Switch emulator but everything else has been smooth sailing. Incredible device... a one-stop shop for all your gaming needs

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah - your 3.51” peen

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

John Romero posted:

i love my 351p

you failed threadnesday but i'm not givin you a new av. blame yourself or go.d.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I use a Vita OP. Topic Locked

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

same but 3ds

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I use a Vita OP. Topic Locked

this, until i upgrade to a steam deck

windows hello.jpg
Jan 13, 2023
the rg353m couldn't play the saturn port of scorcher. it could play gex flawlessly tho so i sold it

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How are gamecube games on it?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

i hadnt messed around with the super game boy core for the pocket until yesterday and was pleased to find it can also load games from the cartridge port. the pocket's neat i wish the dock didn't suck and they weren't glacial on the firmware updates

agreed. playing my old Breath of Fire, Fusion, and Crystal carts is insanely sick, but I want the filters for the openFPGA cores badly

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I got an RG35XX after watching this video and it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLRWEooqd8

Set up is a little tricky but once you get it going it's convenient. Plays up to PS1. Look at my precious boy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I got an RG35XX after watching this video and it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLRWEooqd8

Set up is a little tricky but once you get it going it's convenient. Plays up to PS1. Look at my precious boy

dk game boy ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

dk game boy ftw

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Still waiting for them to allow the cool pixel filters that emulate all the different displays to the jailbroken cores, but the Analogue Pocket can't be beat imho op.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

dk game boy ftw

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

dk game boy ftw

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Wife is getting me a Retroid this summer for my birthday, I cannot wait. All I want in the world is to be able to play PS1 racing games whenever and wherever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NienNunb posted:

Wife is getting me a Retroid this summer for my birthday, I cannot wait. All I want in the world is to be able to play PS1 racing games whenever and wherever.

Hell yeah. It’s perfect for that

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NienNunb posted:

so sick

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell yeah. It’s perfect for that

turns out the ps1 is the perfect handheld it just needed 25 years

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

turns out the ps1 is the perfect handheld it just needed 25 years

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Snapping my Retroid in half day one because I decided to test it out with this

https://youtu.be/8iCPzDEkkII

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
As someone who works with FPGAs on things not even remotely related to gaming, I'm delighted that the Analogue Pocket exists (but I find it really hard to justify spending money on it plus on cartridges because I was too stupid to keep any of my GBA games from third grade). It seems perfect for game preservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
this thread made me pull out my ambernic, thanks for helping me game at work, goons

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)