Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Did anyone else write about games for homework assignments in school?

I remember I did a walkthrough of the Metroid Prime frigate for a language arts class, which is pretty amazing since it’s the tutorial section that lasts 15 minutes. :D

I also did some kind of character analysis and picked Link as my example, talking about his courage, wisdom, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Not a video game in and of itself but I definitely wrote a book report on one of the Halo tie-in novels in like 6th grade. Didn't get a very good grade but hell. You want me to write a book report a week you're going to get some video game tie-in novels.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
My dad called my grade 4 teacher and asked her if I could do a "video game report" every week instead of a book report. At the time I was super disappointed when she said no but now, like, c'mon dad.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
as a creatively bankrupt child, if we ever had to do any creative writing poo poo in english i would just steal characters from whatever i was playing. chrono trigger and ff6 for sure

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

My dad called my grade 4 teacher and asked her if I could do a "video game report" every week instead of a book report. At the time I was super disappointed when she said no but now, like, c'mon dad.

Lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

ahh found the post. treasured memory

HolePisser1982 posted:

in fifth grade we had to do history project where you and another kid were to make up a historical civilization, and my partner was the braindead kid in the class. But a day or two after it was assigned he gave me like five pages of bizarre but detailed lore, so I rolled with it and did a bunch of maps and portraits around what he wrote. I found out months later everything he gave me was copied from the Shaq Fu game manual

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I definitely managed to convince an English teacher to allow me to do a 'book report' on ff7, which I was really excited about because I had found a fansite that detailed the whole plot and pointed out the parallels in the Kaballah that I could borrow points from which was good since we were learning about mythology and archetypes at the time.

At any rate I got two pages in, realized I was in way over my head and pretty much slapped a conclusion on there before I even left Midgar

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I also had a build-a-fake island civilization assignment and while most of it was pretty normal I did make the island designated SR388

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmao

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

In my 7th grade art elective I tried to recreate a picture from the link to the past manual of the master sword in the woods for a still-life assignment. My teacher showed me how to draw swords better by erasing mine right in front of me and drawing a more realistic one in it's place lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmao

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

One time in 8th grade English I couldn't think of a writing subject so I just scribbled down something about Friday Night Magic. My teacher liked it enough to share with the class and I wanted to die from embarrassment.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hd to write a short story in 6th grade so i went and stole poo poo out of the d&d rules cyclopedia and came up with a badass adventure. the paper was only supposed to be two pages but i got so hyped up i wrote like ten, teacher gave me an A+ pretty much based on length alone

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I did a book report on a Blaster Master novelization and both my mom and my teacher flamed me IIRC.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
in biology class we were supposed to come up with a metaphor for the structure of a cell and do a piece-by-piece explanation of how every part of the cell fits the metaphor e.g. "the ribosomes are like mailmen, the mitochondria are like a power plant"
I put together... probably about 18 pages of silent hill lore including illustrations and diagrams
I think I got a B+, which was more than fair because the project was definitely more about silent hill than it was anything else. I don't think that now, as an adult, I could even track the metaphor if I could see what I wrote, it was literally just explaining the lore of silent hill and then going "so the fog is kind of like cytoplasm"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmfao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i did a short story in grade 4 about ness and jeff beating the poo poo out of the mani-mani statue because i was obsessed with my copy of earthbound and the strategy guide lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

Lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In 3rd grade I wrote a short story based on the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon (the goofy one) and in 4th grade a poem about Donkey Kong Country

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wrote a short story in first grade that was about a kid investigating mysterious events and finding the Mega Buster. The word processor program we used had a maximum page count of 5, so I couldn't finish it because I wrote too much and got in trouble for not completing the assignment. Pretty much gave up on school at that point.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

oh yeah I forgot I went to a summer camp where we had to do a PowerPoint presentation, and I chose Phantom Crash for Xbox lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmao incredible

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

lol. we had to write about what society would be on mars and i copied alpha centauri verbatim. i talked about how there would be drone riots and people would consider nerve stapling an atrocity and didnt explain what either of those were. the teacher probably thought i was nuts.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

ion like 5th grade i wrote an entire picture book of the story of links awakening and played it off as my own except at the end everyone became friends and nobody died

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i made a "video game" in some lovely free fps game engine as my visual for a presentation in english class in high school. i don't really remember what it was for but i remember i spent all my time making this really big elaborate cathedral and it took me like 3 seconds to walk through it while presenting and i didn't really have anything else to show

good scam though because it gave me an excuse to go to the library to work on my project, which actually meant playing flash games on addicting games dot com

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it’s not like, a game per se but I definitely wrote about exploring an abandoned mental hospital for some standardized test and retrospectively thought I should be flagged for being a psycho

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I had to write a report on communication and wrote about 40 man raiding for WoW.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

i learned to read very early in large part due to playing a lot of Nintendo with my brother. this teacher is a retartd imo

copy
Jul 26, 2007

had to do a presentation in middle school so i used a vcr to record clips of me playing mario 64 and some animations I made in mario paint so I could have mario as my copresenter. i think thats the hardest i ever worked on something ever for school of any level lol. i later used that vcr to record three runs of MYST for the sega saturn (both brothers and then true ending/speedrun)

mbt posted:

lol. we had to write about what society would be on mars and i copied alpha centauri verbatim. i talked about how there would be drone riots and people would consider nerve stapling an atrocity and didnt explain what either of those were. the teacher probably thought i was nuts.

lol SMAC ftw

Smirking_Serpent posted:

oh yeah I forgot I went to a summer camp where we had to do a PowerPoint presentation, and I chose Phantom Crash for Xbox lmao

drat i aint thought about phantom crash in a longlong time. i remember being so stoked when 360 was backwards compatible with it lol

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Did a research project for science class in middle school on the effects of caffeine on reaction time. My tool for measuring reaction time was Samurai Kirby from Kirby Super Star

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pretty sure on at least two occasions when phoning in a creative writing assignment I just ripped off the plots from Morrowind in-game books but was smart enough to remove any explicit Elder Scrolls / game stuff.

one of them was The Horror of Castle Xyr, the one you can do a stage play of, but it was changed to Castle McGraw and set in the Glasgow dockyards in the 70s and I got marked down for fart jokes "ruining the story". No memory of how this worked exactly

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Arch Nemesis posted:

Did a research project for science class in middle school on the effects of caffeine on reaction time. My tool for measuring reaction time was Samurai Kirby from Kirby Super Star

Hell yeah!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i wrote an essay about Roblox in 5th grade and one of the soccer players called me a fag

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HolePisser1982 posted:

lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

symbolic posted:

Roblox in 5th grade

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Foomin
Feb 21, 2018