Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Back when people read books, they used to make you read them in school, maybe in English class. I was reminded of this by someone mentioning the Kite Runner in another thread, because as a good product of the Canadian education system, that was one of the books I had to read. We also read Ender's Game at one point which was pretty random but taught me that posting on the internet is the most important thing you can do as a human being so I guess it wasn't all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mentioned it in another thread that it ultimately led to me getting married but we read pride and prejudice in school. Didn't want to, was a 15 year old shithead who thought I knew it all and this was irrelevant frilly rubbish. Started it and read it in like two nights and completely turned me on my head about what 'old' writing could be

Liked catcher in the rye, loved the bell jar, didn't like Hamlet until I saw it performed and then it made sense

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Also read some Austen, which I loved, and one Steinbeck although I can't remember which one. It definitely got me into reading more Steinbeck though.

I don't think we read anything from the last 50 years which is kind of strange.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Weirdly, I don't remember having to read a single book in my native language when I was in school. I did usually try to do as little school work as possible, but I'm not sure if I could have gotten away with pretending to have read whole books.

In English class we read Of Mice And Men, Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies. No wonder young people would rather just speak English now lol.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
high school english book memories

reading slaughterhouse five and cat's cradle in grade 9, which led to me reading most of vonnegut over the next few years

making the teacher very upset by comparing the dialogue in jane eyre to star wars: the clone wars

the grade 12 teacher cutting Merchant of Venice because she thought we weren't mature enough... and giving us 100 Years of Solitude instead

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

making the teacher very upset by comparing the dialogue in jane eyre to star wars: the clone wars

lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mr Rochester and Darth sidious - very similar!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

i have grown older and wiser and would like to apologize for my past words, which were very unfair to Mr. Lucas

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Hand Knit posted:

"I don't like Mrs Rochester. She's coarse and rough and irritating and locked in the attic"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I had an English teacher who was a big Ayn Rand fan.

I was a 15 year old idiot and completely blown away by these radical new ideas so enthusiastically presented by my "cool" teacher who rebelled against traditional curriculum :black101: Carpe Diem, O Captain, my Captain!

The first thing we read in class was the short story Anthem. Later we read The Fountainhead.

I got extra credit by reading Atlas Shrugged and giving a class presentation on it.

I didn't really need the extra credit; I did need approval from a parental figure though :negative:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

In Grade 4 we had to read Stuart Little and that poo poo sucked we were way too old for it at that point

In Grade 6 we read The Giver though and that poo poo ruled. Baby's First 1984

In Grade 9 we had to choose books with movie adaptations and compare and contrast them so I chose Jurassic Park 2 The Lost World lmao that poo poo was painful

In Grade 10 or 11? We read Fahrenheit 451 and that poo poo also ruled

But we also had to include some Canadian literature because of the law so we ended up reading this lovely book 'Juliet Naked' which was basically 'what if Kurt Cobain turned out to be alive 20 years later and a lady cheated on her husband with him' that poo poo sucked rear end

Also I got to read Watership Down in Grade 12 and wrote a paper arguing it's a work of existentialist literature that poo poo was fun

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I did not like The Things They Carried when I was assigned it in high school, but I enjoyed it upon rereading it more recently.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
I remember having to read The Red Badge of Courage over the summer before 10th grade. I hated it at the time, but I was a stupid loving teenager, so it's probably actually a good book. I haven't had the urge to go back to it to find out, but I do like Stephen Crane's poem "A Man Said to the Universe":

quote:

A man said to the universe:
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”

I also remember hating Pride and Prejudice, but, again, I was very stupid.

It wasn't until 12th grade (or maybe college) that I could really appreciate good literature.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
lol stephen cranes lines helped get me into poetry

every few years i try to remember a book we read in middle school as part of the era of everyone reading survival young adult fiction constantly and i asked my group chat again today, so I'm posting it to make my memory more concrete this time:

call it courage

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
oh Christ, i was also talking about i am the cheese with some of my students today. that poo poo was hosed up

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Junior year of high school one of the books I had to read over the summer and write a paper on for honors English was The Good Earth. I remember it being very depressing. I got an F on the paper. Actually I got Fs on all my summer reading papers that year. Still got a B+ that quarter.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i was right at the right age to hate everyone in The Great Gatsby but not quite at the right age to realize that was the intent and ended up thinking that book sucked rear end for most of my life

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Obasan. What a lame rear end book. It has a lot of lofty ideas in it and the premise of it is interesting but the writing is very young adult in the worst ways.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Diqnol posted:

Obasan. What a lame rear end book. It has a lot of lofty ideas in it and the premise of it is interesting but the writing is very young adult in the worst ways.

The Joy Kogawa book or is there another Obasan out there?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

During our Shakespeare curriculum in 11th grade English, we watched Romeo + Juliet and the 1968 Romeo and Juliet because our teacher didn't want us to read the play for some reason. We read Hamlet and Julius Caesar, though, and I remember them both being fine.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh my god we watched the Kenneth Branagh Hamlet stretched out over like a week and a half bc of how long it is

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Patware posted:

i was right at the right age to hate everyone in The Great Gatsby but not quite at the right age to realize that was the intent and ended up thinking that book sucked rear end for most of my life

The trouble with The Great Gatsby is that students haven't yet learned that the American Dream is a bunch of crap and a lot of authors spent time deconstructing it in different ways. Same with Death of a Salesman.

I actually want to see Death of a Salesman where the Lomans are all played by the Trump family but the show proceeds perfectly straight otherwise.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My ninth-grade English class somehow managed to get through Death of a Salesman okay, but we turned into hideous snarky little shits for Lord of the Flies right afterwards, which feels like a metaphor for something

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hm, I don't remember all of them, but off the top of my head these are some of the books I remember having to read, back at school:

Animal Farm
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Space Demons
Looking for Alibrandi

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I read The Mayor of Casterbridge and loved it.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Do schools not do actual books anymore? I think we had Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Lord of the Flies, and A Separate Peace in one year, Huckleberry Finn, The Scarlet Letter, The Glass Menagerie, and Death of a Salesman the next year, Tale of Two Cities, Macbeth and Pride and Prejudice the next year, and Taming of the Shrew, Hamlet, Heart of Darkness, Sound and the Fury, Wuthering Heights, King Lear, and Streetcar Named Desire the last year, not counting summer reading.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

Hobologist posted:

Do schools not do actual books anymore? I think we had Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Lord of the Flies, and A Separate Peace in one year, Huckleberry Finn, The Scarlet Letter, The Glass Menagerie, and Death of a Salesman the next year, Tale of Two Cities, Macbeth and Pride and Prejudice the next year, and Taming of the Shrew, Hamlet, Heart of Darkness, Sound and the Fury, Wuthering Heights, King Lear, and Streetcar Named Desire the last year, not counting summer reading.

I mean, I had to read a lot more than just the two books I mentioned in my previous post. I just mentioned The Red Badge of Courage and Pride and Prejudice because I remember teenage me disliking those in particular. With some exceptions, I had to read most of the books you listed in high school as well. I was in the AP track, though, so I don't know how many books the other English classes had to actually read.

I remember in 12th grade one of the non-AP English classes had to read Lord of the Rings. I'm assuming most of the students didn't actually do that, though. They had an extra credit opportunity to come to school dressed as characters, and I had a friend who came as Tom Bombadil. Apparently I was the only person all day who correctly guessed which character he was. He seemed to really appreciate that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I remember in 12th grade one of the non-AP English classes had to read Lord of the Rings. I'm assuming most of the students didn't actually do that, though. They had an extra credit opportunity to come to school dressed as characters, and I had a friend who came as Tom Bombadil. Apparently I was the only person all day who correctly guessed which character he was. He seemed to really appreciate that.

Oh come on! If your friend was wearing a blue jacket and/or yellow boots, there should've been no excuse for getting it wrong! Terrible

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
Thomas Hardy. Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Goddamn that was a loving ordeal when i was 15

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

Thomas Hardy. Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Goddamn that was a loving ordeal when i was 15

We did Tess, The Mayor of Casterbridge, and Far From The Madding Crowd and yeah, that was an ordeal at 15-16. I do remember having a lightbulb moment as to where JK Rowling nicked all her character names though when a single page of Far From The Madding Crowd had the words 'hagrid' and 'dumbledore' on it, as Dorset slang

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I loved my GCSE English classes apart from having to study The Go-between and I'm the King of the Castle. Both kind of torrid but dull coming of age type novels about tween/teenage boys. The most I remember are the stupid jokes we made about what 'spooning' and all the pathetic fallacy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was 16 or 17 and a handmaid's tale was the book that was assigned for national exams and I really did not like it. Unsurprisingly after everyone seemingly across the UK did awfully in the exams on it it got made as reading for the final year instead. No idea if that helped exam tesults

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
In 12th grade I had this older teacher (RIP, Mrs. Looper) who was aiming too high for the majority of students of a non-AP English class:
Beowulf was my favorite (a bored student kept pissing off the teacher by replacing geats with geeks)
Dante's Inferno was sweet
Handmaid's Tale was alright

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
There was a set syllabus for the country the teacher had to pick three from. His sole concern was minimising his workload, so he picked the two shortest books on the list and a movie. I can't remember what themes Of Mice and Men has in common with On The Waterfront, but I'm sure I wrote a lovely essay about it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Huckleberry Finn owns. Of Mice and Men was good. Death of a Salesman was good. Most of the rest was trash

Did read some excerpts by Amy Tan in class and ended up reading her stuff for fun.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

oh Christ, i was also talking about i am the cheese with some of my students today. that poo poo was hosed up

oh yeah this one

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Why do I feel like I read Hatchet like at least three times between elementary and middle school?

also I read A Separate Peace once in 9th grade AP english and I got so bored of it that I dropped into regular 10th grade english - where I had to read A Separate Peace again! Son of a bitch!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I remember my delight at reading John Donne's poetry and discovering how horny he was :allears:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We read Catcher in the Rye at one point and I was just the right age to passionately hate Holden Caulfield, which I did, but more importantly my family owned a VHS of the very bad Mel Gibson movie Conspiracy Theory in which he compulsively buys copies of Catcher in the Rye as a way for his handlers to track him and so while reading the book I kept just wondering wtf was the relationship between those two pieces of media.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Why do I feel like I read Hatchet like at least three times between elementary and middle school?

probably because Hatchet beats rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Patware posted:

probably because Hatchet beats rear end

yeah but it's not the only book (or, because this was a public school, it may have been)