Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GET OUT OF THE loving WAY I WILL STAB YOU, YOU PIECE OF poo poo. Oh and so help me god if you pieces of poo poo tell me about Giant I will loving lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
*Looks at OP's avatar*

OP, are you sure your anger isn't just misplaced technofetishist lust?

Please don't hit on service workers. If you want to romance the robot, you have to do it outside the store on its time off.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

*Looks at OP's avatar*

OP, are you sure your anger isn't just misplaced technofetishist lust?

Please don't hit on service workers. If you want to romance the robot, you have to do it outside the store on its time off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyP7MpJLfqc

I have standards.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

yeah the stock checking robots at the grocery store here:

- all have little screens on them that display unique animated faces
- each have individual names
- make r2d2-like beeps and sounds at you
- interact with each other when in proximity with another robot

it's kinda hosed up and I feel like not a single one of those features is necessary for a machine that checks inventory

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mr. Meagles posted:

it's kinda hosed up and I feel like not a single one of those features is necessary for a machine that checks inventory

Everything about American grocery stores is hosed up

*Cashiers are not allowed to sit or even lean on anything for their entire shift
*Kids are paid the minimum wage to do all the poo poo work and collect carts which can really suck in hotter states (When I worked their every "courtesy clerk" was 15 years old)
*Cashiers are obligated to be cheery and stick to a script including asking every single customer how their day was
*Managers are expected to act as secret shoppers at other stores and narc on them for anything they can
*No employee benefits, at best there's a discount on the cheaper store brand products

And much more, at least when I worked for one.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

PinheadSlim posted:

*Cashiers are not allowed to sit or even lean on anything for their entire shift
*Kids are paid the minimum wage to do all the poo poo work and collect carts which can really suck in hotter states (When I worked their every "courtesy clerk" was 15 years old)
*Cashiers are obligated to be cheery and stick to a script including asking every single customer how their day was
*Managers are expected to act as secret shoppers at other stores and narc on them for anything they can
*No employee benefits, at best there's a discount on the cheaper store brand products

My favorite part about this is that the minimum wage was rising soon and that was below it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 12, 2023

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I worked at Big Y for maybe 6 months in the dairy/frozen food section after Stop and Shop had got a union, and was shown videos when hired about how unions are bad.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

SAY YOHO posted:

I worked at Big Y for maybe 6 months in the dairy/frozen food section after Stop and Shop had got a union, and was shown videos when hired about how unions are bad.

Yeah but did you taste the freshness and quality?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You can just hop on the back of it and get a free ride around the store.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

What the gently caress is that thing’s purpose besides to inspire fear

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Brother Tadger posted:

What the gently caress is that thing’s purpose besides to inspire fear

It's job is to eliminate ten jobs

and inspire fear

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SAY YOHO posted:

Here's the thing though, Stop and Shop is union and they are absolute poo poo-tier. Their deli is trash and I saw them selling a bag of Hint of Lime Tostitos for loving $5.99. For corn! The 7/11 was cheaper! I guess they need big margins to fund that stupid loving robot.

Market Basket is non-union and even had all the workers stand up for their fired boss and got him reinstated as president. They're the best value by a mile and I have had friends who loved working there.

Don't get me wrong, I have helped friends unionize a for-profit hospital because the staff-to-patient ratio was abysmal. But my takeaway is sometimes unions are loving bad. Stop and Shop is a perfect example, laziest staff that will actively run away from you if you try and ask them where anything is. I've got another anecdote but it involves a goon S&S employee so I'll skip that one lol.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The union that was available to me around 2010 was not a real union.

It took dues and did nothing, it served the interests of the company. The fact that we had two 15 minute breaks in an 8 hour shift was what they said we were paying dues for.

A union in name only.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I hate that loving robot too op. Also Stop n Shops meat department lately sucks so bad. I don’t know if the one at my store got new management or what but just absolute poo poo tier garbage. Been making a separate trip to Big Y for meat.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Big Y is better than Stop and Shop p much across the board. Especially with Stop and Shops stupid new look and the stupid robot

Big Y sells a strombo and a soda for like 4 bucks which is one of the best deals around for a cheap lunch

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

This is the robot at my local grocery store

:ohdear:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

500excf type r posted:

Big Y is better than Stop and Shop p much across the board. Especially with Stop and Shops stupid new look and the stupid robot

Big Y sells a strombo and a soda for like 4 bucks which is one of the best deals around for a cheap lunch

Big Y’s best feature is the fish & chips station

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Do you think anyone has tried to actually gently caress it OP?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe you could tape a cucumber on the robot in a very suggestive place OP.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

None of these apply at Aldi

E: IDK about the benefits, but they definitely get to sit and are most certainly not cheery (which is totally fine with me)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Smugworth posted:

RAISIN BRAN IN PLACE
COCOA PEBBLES FULLY STOCKED
PIE FILLING ON SPECIAL
ALL TREATS NOMINAL

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

My latest supermarket peev is those self checkouts with the weighing scale bagging area that yells at you if you have the gall to put a loving bag on it

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

free hubcaps posted:

My latest supermarket peev is those self checkouts with the weighing scale bagging area that yells at you if you have the gall to put a loving bag on it

Self checkout is horrible and always loving up so the 1 person managing 6 checkouts and the front desk takes forever to clear whatever bullshit error comes up. It's clearly the idea of upper management who hates both their customers and employees.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

wait stop. hold on. who hosed what robot now?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Prof. Crocodile posted:

wait stop. hold on. who hosed what robot now?

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
When our local Stop & Shop had their robot for a year, they held a birthday party. I know this because my kid found out and made me go.

It was a very sad party.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Whooping Crabs posted:

Self checkout is horrible and always loving up so the 1 person managing 6 checkouts and the front desk takes forever to clear whatever bullshit error comes up. It's clearly the idea of upper management who hates both their customers and employees.

What's even worse is when they don't install a self-checkout and proceed to cut front-end staff anyway. The local Safeway here in a semi-rural area regularly has lines to the middle of the store every morning because they only want to pay for 1 or 2 people to run the checkout lanes. I have a feeling it will get even worse once the private-equity scammers who created this situation re-IPO the Safeway/Albertsons chimera they built. I'm sure they would have closed this store already if they thought they could get away without raising a stink about creating a food desert.

I was in LA a few months ago, and I saw at least two of these bizarre delivery robots some startup had clogging the sidewalks around Hollywood. They each had a little screen claiming they were "On Delivery," but they were just sitting there in the middle of the sidewalk, not going anywhere. All I could think about was if it was closer to the 4th of July and I was a meaner person, I could pry the lid open, jam some fireworks in there, and sprint.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

That's clearly an evolved Trapper Keeper, don't believe its lies

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

do not gently caress the stop and shop robot without its consent

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

numberoneposter posted:

do not gently caress the stop and shop robot without its consent

If you enter the konami code, you activate horny mode and it consents immediately.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Akratic Method posted:

If you enter the konami code, you activate horny mode and it consents immediately.

Thats problematic

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Please do not gently caress the Stop and Shop robot or do I don't really care.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

There's a Martin's in my town and it has a Marty robot but I think they don't let it talk because I've never heard it say anything or make any noise, it just scoots around the store checking prices. Little kids seem to think it's cool, everybody else just kind of ignores it.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I miss new England and I miss stop & shop. Marty still got those crazy googly eyes? He used to scan for trash on the ground and then just sit there and beep. I don't even think he did prices. Miss that guy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The robot doesn't really bother me but that thing that screams "THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING TIDE!" when you get within 15 feet of the aisle with laundry detergent is the goddamn worst. They started having that thing because a bunch of old people believed some dumb urban legend about people stealing Tide to barter for drugs like ten years ago.

No points for guessing what group of people were being accused of this.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Duck and Cover posted:

Please do not gently caress the Stop and Shop robot or do I don't really care.

It never says no to a paying customer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It never says no to a paying customer.

For what poo poo costs now someone in the store had better be sucking my dick.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Smugworth posted:

DROP THE TAMPONS. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Harry_Potato posted:

DROP THE TAMPONS. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL BE MET WITH DEADLY FORCE.

Ha ha ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i saw an old man freak the gently caress out at the stop and shop robot and start yelling and cursing at it and it was the funniest fuckin thing I've seen in years