Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I played this game a ton as a kid, Grace didn't, but he's also an enormous pokemon dweeb so the two of us combine our powers to become a mediocre card player.

Is that enough for an OP? Christ I hate writing these. It's a fun game that's what's important

:siren:Episodes!:siren:

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 1 - The Coolest Kid In Class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

heck yeah this game rocks. got into my brain last week in vacation and now I'm going for 4 of every card so I can build any deck.

don't do that. at least the degeneracy of my current deck makes it fun.

Also you can speed up the intro animations in the options menu, Skip Some lets you skip shuffling and such without skipping battle animations and None basically makes B button a sorta fastforwards through a lot of stuff.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

assuming they didn't change anything for this release, the coinflip isn't random (for the player), it will always have the same result if you press the button at the same frame this is not true,either i misremembered or i was deceived years ago

e: hell yes, 2/3 of the eeveelutions already

biosterous fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 31, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The font is driving me a little crazy. I could swear the tutorial was having you play Hater energy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Akratic Method posted:

The font is driving me a little crazy. I could swear the tutorial was having you play Hater energy.

That's the only energy I play :colbert:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I have no idea what's going on and I resolutely refuse to pay enough attention to understand, but I suppose the music is pretty good and the thought of a small child destroying a man's marriage over card games appeals to me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This game (and its sequel) have the best goddamn soundtrack on the entire Game Boy, I could listen to it forever.

And yeah if you go into the options, 'Skip Some' actually means 'don't skip anything but let the B button act as an animation skip button', recommended to turn that on.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hell yes hell yes let's fucken go. I haven't watched yet but I am going to make some breakfast and dive right in.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

Because this game is so wordy, when they localized it, they had no choice but to do this to fit it all in.

IIRC, every two letters is a single tile. Since not all two-letter combinations occur in the game the amount of tiles used for this is less than 26^2.
Your own name uses a separate font where every letter is a single tile.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Every two letters is indeed a single tile (in a shockingly readable 3x7 pixel font), but I'm pretty sure the tiles are constructed on the fly instead of being premade for every combination -- even at 1bpp with 8x8 tiles that would be half a GB for all combinations, which is way too much for a Game Boy game, even if it just uses a subset of those. It's a good question why the player character name uses a different font then, because I don't see what's stopping them from just constructing tiles for the player name too.

e: oops I calculated 2^26 instead of 26^2, that's only a couple KB, yeah that's way more reasonable to do ahead of time.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 28, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Carbon dioxide posted:

Because this game is so wordy, when they localized it, they had no choice but to do this to fit it all in.

IIRC, every two letters is a single tile. Since not all two-letter combinations occur in the game the amount of tiles used for this is less than 26^2.
Your own name uses a separate font where every letter is a single tile.

Oh huh, I was genuinely wondering why Tuvem7 was so much wider than every other bit of text, that's interesting

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I don't recognise this Yakuza side game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Actually, wait. I'm pretty sure if you go into your Decks you can rename them and that *does* use the halfwidth font. So they totally can convert arbitrary user text into the half tiles, why don't they do it for the character name?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Say what you will about the jankiness of the game itself but they did a really good job with the card art. It looks really good and is really convenient for making into bead art.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The music is great as well. Duel theme slaps.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Actually, wait. I'm pretty sure if you go into your Decks you can rename them and that *does* use the halfwidth font. So they totally can convert arbitrary user text into the half tiles, why don't they do it for the character name?

I think it's because the character name is actually used for Card Pop! (the infrarred multiplayer thingy) to determine what cards the players get so I guess they wanted not to over-complicate the calcs? Which is dumb given that mechanic is bugged to never give a certain card.

...I might have been hyperfixated on the game for a few weeks and watched some Youtube videos.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The music is great as well. Duel theme slaps.

I think it's because the character name is actually used for Card Pop! (the infrarred multiplayer thingy) to determine what cards the players get so I guess they wanted not to over-complicate the calcs? Which is dumb given that mechanic is bugged to never give a certain card.

...I might have been hyperfixated on the game for a few weeks and watched some Youtube videos.

If they're very technical videos I'd be interested in watching them. I'm way into seeing how games work under the hood, and have dabbled with disassembling and tracing program execution with a lot of games.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Truly a blessed playthrough. :pray:

Definitely played quite a bit of this back in the day; it's simple but effective.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
why isn't the thread title "Goldeen's Dick Sucking Lips"

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Neurion posted:

If they're very technical videos I'd be interested in watching them. I'm way into seeing how games work under the hood, and have dabbled with disassembling and tracing program execution with a lot of games.

Tried looking it up and it was 2 separate videos, one for the Card Pop! bug and one for general secrets. The deal is that text in the game does not use a fixed font but loads characters into VRAM, so it could use all kanji for the cards and the English version combined it with the half-font for the surprisingly detailed text.

This meant though that the game had to overclock the Color's CPU because it went slow as molasses on the localized versions when loading, but they decided to do that for everything so the localized version is twice as fast in general. Thank you, neverending list of kanji :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 2 - Bed Time, Bitch

Thank you, Lapras

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Thank you Lapras even if you exist only to beat Mr. Mime away

Also you can get Mew in the game! There's like, 3 Mew cards including the Card Pop one.

The only unobtainable card is Card Pop!Venasaur because whoever coded card pop failed math and it will never pop up in there.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Also you can get Mew in the game! There's like, 3 Mew cards including the Card Pop one.

The only unobtainable card is Card Pop!Venasaur because whoever coded card pop failed math and it will never pop up in there.

Which is pretty funny considering it was a real life promotional card as a prize for buying the guide

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Oh I'd love to hear about the bad math function in Card Pop!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Neurion posted:

Oh I'd love to hear about the bad math function in Card Pop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8MZwW6gpI

tldr: The game generates two numbers by adding and xoring the same input, then requires that one of them equals a specific value while using the odd/evenness of the other to determine which of the two phantom cards you get. Those two algorithms always produce numbers that share the same odd/even state, ie if one is odd the other is odd too and vice-versa. Since the one number is required a specific value (an odd one), the other one will always correlate with it, which makes it impossible to get the card assigned to the even slot.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Lmao good work idiot

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Does this have switch online multiplayer? Can you dunk on random kids across the globe?

Oh drat, this is making me think of the real life pokemon cards and how...some kids I knew ran a card retrieval service for cards confiscated by teachers.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

bunnyofdoom posted:

Does this have switch online multiplayer? Can you dunk on random kids across the globe?

Oh drat, this is making me think of the real life pokemon cards and how...some kids I knew ran a card retrieval service for cards confiscated by teachers.

It does have online but friend only like all Switflix games sadly.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 3 - Bthhethhth

fym go get more cards?!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I like how Amanda wasted two turns at the end just to mock you.
She gave that double energy to her bencher, even though that would have easily been enough to make an attack which would have ended it right there. Instead she gambled on those coin tosses to keep on tranquilizing lapras just to make you feel helpless.

She's cool.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 31, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo, nice Mew!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

bunnyofdoom posted:

Holy poo poo, nice Mew!

That's not actually the rare variant.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The funniest thing is, where all other trainers mostly just use random themed decks, Amanda's Wigglytuff deck is actually a meta from the era (Minus the dolls, they just used Basic Pokemons to fill). Girl be try harding at this childrens summer camp island.

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's not actually the rare variant.

But it is Rare! The first card in the Booster Packs are the rares. So it's a Rare one.

And the only good Mew cause the Promo is an Abra who can't be damaged by evos and Phantom Mew deals either 10 damage, 10+ status, 20 or none.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The funniest thing is, where all other trainers mostly just use random themed decks, Amanda's Wigglytuff deck is actually a meta from the era (Minus the dolls, they just used Basic Pokemons to fill). Girl be try harding at this childrens summer camp island.

But it is Rare! The first card in the Booster Packs are the rares. So it's a Rare one.

And the only good Mew cause the Promo is an Abra who can't be damaged by evos and Phantom Mew deals either 10 damage, 10+ status, 20 or none.

Another one of the popular real life decks is Amy in this same club. Although she doesn't use exeggutor to really let the fun loose.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Of course, the age old question about this game is, where did "Dr. Mason" get his doctorate in pokemon cards? Or did he just make it up?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I wasted so much money buying Pokémon cards and not knowing how to make good decks. I should've just gotten this instead.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
This game was better than the actual Pokemon Gameboy games and it always killed me they didn't keep making them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Beartaco posted:

This game was better than the actual Pokemon Gameboy games and it always killed me they didn't keep making them.

They did make an improved sequel! In Japan only. I think it got translated. The sad part is it only added the Rocket expansion cards which is a same since the other 2 expansions of the original series, according to retrospectives I've read, allowed you to utterly gently caress with the second player by discarding his entire hand or OHKO their only mon with Jigglypuff.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Beartaco posted:

Finding out they made a sequel that they just never bothered to localize was genuinely heartbreaking :negative:

Let's Play Pokemon TCG Episode 4 - A Different Scyther

I should stop sleeping on status effects, all things considered

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Of course, the age old question about this game is, where did "Dr. Mason" get his doctorate in pokemon cards? Or did he just make it up?

That old Jarhead? He actually worked in construction and never bothered with his GI bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Danaru posted:

Finding out they made a sequel that they just never bothered to localize was genuinely heartbreaking :negative:

i mean hey, if it /did/ get fan translated...