Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Take pokemon FireRed. A pretty good game, right? Now add twenty years of romhacking tools and community upgrades. Add twenty additional years of pokemon into the game as well. Now blast it with a pretty brutal level of difficulty. Then finally add a shitload of quality of life features. That's Radical Red in a nutshell.

It's a game that's basically ruined other fangames and romhacks for me. Why play the rest when the best is right there? Before we even start catching pokemon, we're gonna have access to a portable pokecenter, the ability to change the time of day at will, the national dex, a feature complete dexnav, infinite rare candies, and more!

About the LP

Screenshots, obviously. No narrative, and I'm barely gonna be touching on the story. It's just the FireRed story. Instead we're here to gawp at the difficulty on display, as well as the oddly friendly quality of life features.

Have you beaten this before?

No. I got to just before Victory Road and was forced to stop by a trainer battle I legitimately couldn't handle. This was after being worn down by a lot of the late-game boss fights, so I quit rather than deal with it. What boss fight was that, I hear you asking?

Take a look at this utter nonsense:

The game gives you the tools necessary to humiliate this. But that's four legendaries on one team, all fully EV-trained with competetive movesets. That's the sort of bullshit you're expected to go up against in the endgame. I'm lowkey looking forward to it too. You can find the game here. You must supply your own FireRed [Squirrels] ROM, though.

Also the caveat from my Insurgence OP still stands: I'm barely qualified to do this. I'm not Crosspeice, nor am I Orange Fluffy Sheep. I'm just stupid and stubborn enough to persevere regardless.

The Updates

#001 - Piplup
#002 - Shedinja
#003 - Litten
#004 - Staravia
#005 - Sandile

Catching Montages

Montage #1 (as seen in Update #4)

Pokedex Progress

189/1021 (Updated May 20, 2024)

Follow Along Here

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#001 - Piplup

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 2, 2024

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Ooh, neat. *buckles in*

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I fell off of RadRed when it, in my opinion, got kind of high off the smell of its own farts. I'm interested to see what's changed since I stopped playing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is inspiring me. Can't wait to see where it goes. :allears:

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

That looks utterly disgusting to fight against indeed but this is also the kind of things that makes me want to try it too, even if I am aware that my first thought of "send Hydreigon to wreck most of the team and switch for the Zapdos" is probably fully wrong. With that said, choosing starter from any region is always a plus so might be time to play Pokemon again with Feraligatr.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:stare: I am very interested in seeing how far this pushes the player.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DoubleNegative posted:

What the gently caress is Champion Green running when you have to get through this just to hit Victory Road?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

What the gently caress is Champion Green running when you have to get through this just to hit Victory Road?

Three legendaries, an UltraBeast, a Ditto, and Mega Metagross. Seriously.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

DoubleNegative posted:

:stare:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

imposter ditto with a choice scarf is :discourse:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I cleared RadRed in 4.0 with Poison-only (with Easy Mode and MGM on too, mind), and I had a lot of fun. I look forward to aeeing what's new with 4.1 while trying out some postgame stuff before going to NG+ for a Bug-only clear.

This was my E4 team if anyone cares (they weren't lvl 100 then, the level cap got increased once I beat the champ).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DoubleNegative posted:

:catstare:

Jesus Christ.

I was also informed that another variation of that team replaces that Koraidon with a Miraidon, which isn't much better! Both bike mons are absolute monsters! Let alone the rest of that dang team!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Jesus Christ.

I was also informed that another variation of that team replaces that Koraidon with a Miraidon, which isn't much better! Both bike mons are absolute monsters! Let alone the rest of that dang team!

Yeah because I picked a Grass starter I got the Miraidon team in my run. Luckily Nidoking is an absolute champ and just Earth Powered it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This looks like it's going to go places. :munch:

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I've been tempted to try Radical Red sometime, and honestly the main reason I haven't is that... I'm kinda sick of the Kanto region.

Excited to see where this goes, though.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

DoubleNegative posted:

Bulbasaur looks way cooler than this piece of garbage!

Oh poo poo, he's a genwunner! Get his rear end!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DoubleNegative posted:

Rival is a wiener but ditching his starter is a bridge too far

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DoubleNegative posted:

Can't believe he abandoned his starter, fake Champion.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Ooh, looking forward to this one. I've never really had the patience for these kinds of difficulty hacks, but they're always fun to watch someone else try to puzzle out.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I bounced off this because there are Too Many Mons and I don't understand all this modern business, but I'm excited to see it played by someone who does know what they're doing

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

sebzilla posted:

I bounced off this because there are Too Many Mons and I don't understand all this modern business, but I'm excited to see it played by someone who does know what they're doing

This is about where I am (minus trying it in the first place)

I imagine every gym leader is running around with a full team of 6 to show off a bit more variety than the OG games, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sebzilla posted:

:emptyquote:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Araxxor posted:

Jesus Christ.

I mean, I guess it's better than the average romhack because the player has the same options? As far as DoubleNegative implied, that is. No idea if the game gives you your own Bike Dragon before the league. Unlike certain romhacks with enemy only 990 BST monstrosities while limiting your options.

Also gonna watch with interest, mostly cause Hardcore Hard romehacks are not my cup, but I do appreciate whatever the creator/s contribued to GBA Romhack QoL.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Too Many Mons? Amateurs, Pokemon: Infinite Fusion has over two hundred thousand.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

This is about where I am (minus trying it in the first place)

I imagine every gym leader is running around with a full team of 6 to show off a bit more variety than the OG games, right?

The hack gets you started nice and friendly-like. Brock only has four, and I don't remember Misty having six. But they do have a lot of variation in their teams! With six extra generations of pokemon to choose from, there are a lot of curveballs the developers can use!

Anyway, the next update will be tomorrow. And then, from there, the pace will slow down a bit to every 3-4 days-ish, except never updates on Fridays or Saturdays because I simply won't have time those days.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I understand EV's and IV's but I have never heard of BST before. What is this stat?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

I understand EV's and IV's but I have never heard of BST before. What is this stat?

Base stat total. If I'm not mistaken, it's the sum of the pokemon's stats at 50 with no EVs and no IVs. Higher is better, naturally. If you've ever heard of the term pseudo-legendary, they all have BSTs of 600.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

DoubleNegative posted:

Base stat total. If I'm not mistaken, it's the sum of the pokemon's stats at 50 with no EVs and no IVs. Higher is better, naturally. If you've ever heard of the term pseudo-legendary, they all have BSTs of 600.

Not 100%, but the numbers are close enough. Think of them like growth rates, low bases mean you won't get much per level, etc etc.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

The hack gets you started nice and friendly-like. Brock only has four, and I don't remember Misty having six. But they do have a lot of variation in their teams! With six extra generations of pokemon to choose from, there are a lot of curveballs the developers can use!

Anyway, the next update will be tomorrow. And then, from there, the pace will slow down a bit to every 3-4 days-ish, except never updates on Fridays or Saturdays because I simply won't have time those days.

Brock and Misty (and maybe Surge?) don't have full teams but rematching those 3 with proper full teams is mandatory for progression later anyway.

And then there's Hardcore Mode which just gives them 6 mons from the get-go.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Hacks like these do, if nothing else, make me yearn for the days when I had the time and patience to keep up with competitive play. Gen 9 has been a rough one no matter what format you're playing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#002 - Shedinja

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 6, 2024

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I don't care what else we end up running, we need a Paldean Wooper.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Emma's fine but she should have either a Fennekin or a Litten as her starter because mage fox and goofy wrestletiger are perfect 10/10 designs.

Gary is and always will be THE rival.

Likewise we need to catch a Galarian Zigzagoon because Obstagoon the punk rock dire badger is also a perfect 10/10 design.

And a Sentret because Furret is adorable and needs to be shown onscreen briefly even though it's not really good enough to actually use.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 2, 2024

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
DeepSeaTooth Clamperl? Hello? You're running that this instant and never turning back.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Be cool, show off some buffs, run Ledyba.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

I wanna see Cyndaquil as the starter, specifically so we can evolve it into Hisuian Typhlosion.

As for goobers to catch and use, we gotta let the mascot have his day, right? Light Ball Pikachu, make it happen. Also seconding Ledyba and throwing in Pumpkaboo 'because I think it's neat.

The Shedinja puzzle is a neat way to start things off. Involved enough to put you on notice that this ain't your granddads pokemon while still being fairly simple to execute once you've figured it out. Reminds me of the Battle CDs from Pokemon XD. Pretty sure that game even had its own Shedinja puzzle among those CDs. Kinda wish they'd revisit the idea with all the new stuff they've added in the...19 years...since XD launched. God.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I second the suggestion of catching Paldean Wooper, get that guy in here. A Litten starter sounds good too. And a Starly, I like its line.

The rival is called Gary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have no idea what most of these critters are, but I'll throw my hat in for Hoothoot. I like its design and its evolution, pity they weren't good in what was in retrospect not a well designed game in a lot of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pick up a Shroomish so we can use my favourite Pokemon, Breloom.