Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's been a while since we had a thread like this. The draft is over and we're about to enter May, when nothing much happens in the world of football and we reach about the halfway mark between seasons. So I thought it would be a good time to assess the state of the league's best players and their chances at making the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and then argue about it or make wild projections for the newest generation. Let's go team by team, sorted by locks (would be in within a decade if they retired today), edge cases and guys who are on pace, as well as exciting players who have 5 seasons or less experience:

Buffalo Bills:
Locks: Von Miller (123.5 sacks, 8x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro, All-Decade Team, Super Bowl MVP, two-time champion, 131 career AV)
On their way: Josh Allen (best Bills QB since Jim Kelly; led them to heights not seen since that era; still looking for playoff success)

Miami Dolphins:
Locks: Tyreek Hill (10,139 rec yds, 89 total TDs, 8x Pro Bowl, 5x All-Pro, Super Bowl champion, 107 career AV)
Maybe: Jalen Ramsey (7x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro, Super Bowl champion, 22 interceptions, 86 career AV)

New England Patriots
None, their most decorated player is like Matt Judon

New York Jets
Locks: Aaron Rodgers (59,055 yards, 475 TDs, 10x Pro Bowl, 4x MVP, All-Decade Team, Super Bowl MVP, 231 career AV), Tyron Smith (8x Pro Bowl, 2x All-Pro, All-Decade Team, 115 career AV)
Exciting young prospects: Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson

Dallas Cowboys
Locks: Zack Martin (9x Pro Bowl, 7x All-Pro, All-Decade Team, 126 career AV)
Maybe: Dak Prescott (3x Pro Bowl, 29,459 yards, 107 career AV, probably not a serious candidate without a Super Bowl run)
Exciting young prospects: Micah Parsons, CeeDee Lamb

New York Giants
None, their best case is like Dexter Lawrence or something

Philadelphia Eagles
Jason Kelce and Fletcher Cox just retired. The former is probably in. Lane Johnson, Darius Slay and Saquon Barkley are probably more of a Ring of Honor type guys.
Exciting young prospects: Jalen Hurts, A.J. Brown

Washington Commanders
Locks: Bobby Wagner (9x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, All-Decade team, 996 solo tackles, 160 Career AV)

Baltimore Ravens
Locks: Justin Tucker (Kicking GOAT, 7x Pro Bowl, 5x All-Pro, record-setting leg, 59 career AV which is insane for a kicker)
Maybe: Derrick Henry (9,502 yards, 93 total TDs, 4x Pro Bowl, shockingly only 1x All-Pro. On the surface not HOF numbers but was the dominant running back of an era that abandoned running backs)
On their way: Lamar Jackson (2x MVP, most dangerous running QB the game has ever seen)
Mark Andrews and Roquan Smith are two guys that might have cases when all is said and done.

Cincinnati Bengals
Exciting young prospects: Joe Burrow, Ja'Marr Chase
Trey Hendrickson is good but not that type of dude.

Cleveland Browns
On their way: Myles Garrett (5x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro, 88.5 sacks, DPOY, 88 career AV)
Nick Chubb probably won't have the longevity. Deshaun Watson molested 22 people and became bad at football. Joel Bitonio has gone to a lot of Pro Bowls?

Pittsburgh Steelers
Locks: Russell Wilson (43,653 yards, 334 TDs, 9x Pro Bowl, Super Bowl champ, 179 career AV, led traditionally moribund franchise to new heights)
Maybe: Cameron Heyward (6x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro, 80.5 sacks, 122 career AV. Feels more Ring of Honor to me)
On their way: T.J. Watt (6x Pro Bowl, 4x All-Pro, 96.5 sacks, DPOY, 91 career AV)

Chicago Bears
Maybe: Keenan Allen (10,531 yards, 59 TDs, 6x Pro Bowl, 91 career AV. Probably a Chargers Ring of Honor guy)

Detroit Lions
Exciting young prospects: Penei Sewell, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Aidan Hutchinson

Green Bay Packers
We're not going to talk about Jordan Love in these terms just yet.

Minnesota Vikings
Exciting young prospects: Justin Jefferson
Harrison Smith feels more Ring of Honor

Houston Texans
Maybe: Stefon Diggs (9,995 yards, 67 TDs, 4x Pro Bowl, 1x All-Pro, 99 career AV)
Exciting young prospects: C.J. Stroud
Danielle Hunter will be a Ring of Honor dude for the Vikings

Indianapolis Colts
On their way: Quenton Nelson (6x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro, 69 career AV. The path is hard for guards though)
Joe Flacco is here lol

Jacksonville Jaguars
I still believe in Trevor even though his career is more likely to go the way of Luck than Elway

Tennessee Titans
Maybe: DeAndre Hopkins (12,355 yards, 78 TDs, 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro, 101 career AV. The judgment of this era of receivers will be interesting)

Atlanta Falcons
What if Kirk got a ring tho

Carolina Panthers
lol

New Orleans Saints
Maybe: Cameron Jordan (117.5 sacks, 8x Pro Bowl, 1x All-Pro, All-Decade Team, 137 career AV)
Exciting young prospects: Chris Olave
Alvin Kamara looked the part for a minute. Fantasy Sports hall of famer

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Maybe: Mike Evans (his numbers and longevity have to count for something)
Lavonte David gets talked about like one sometimes but he only has 1 Pro Bowl and 1 All-Pro season.

Denver Broncos
Exciting young prospects: Patrick Surtain II

Kansas City Chiefs
Locks: Patrick Mahomes (could be the GOAT), Travis Kelce (GOAT's top target and was already an elite TE when he got there)
On their way: Chris Jones (5x Pro Bowl, 2x All-Pro, 75.5 sacks from the interior, 89 career AV)

Las Vegas Raiders
Exciting young prospects: Maxx Crosby

Los Angeles Chargers
Locks: Khalil Mack (101.5 sacks, 8x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro, DPOY, All-Decade Team, 116 career AV)
Maybe: Joey Bosa (probably too many injuries)
Exciting young prospects: Justin Herbert

Arizona Cardinals
Budda Baker if he's great in his 30s??

Los Angeles Rams
Aaron Donald just retired but is the greatest defender of his generation.
Matt Stafford needed another ring to get any real consideration. Cooper Kupp is already on the wrong side of 30 and only has honors for one season.

San Francisco 49ers
Locks: Trent Williams (11x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro, 129 career AV)
On their way: Christian McCaffrey (3x Pro Bowl, 2x All-Pro, 10,505 total yards, 81 total TDs, OPOY, only turning 28 this season)
Maybe: George Kittle (5x Pro Bowl, 2x All-Pro), Fred Warner (3 All-Pro teams in last four seasons)
Exciting Young Prospects: Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel

Seattle Seahawks
Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf aren't that type of player

Guys with good chances who don't have a team but are not technically retired:
Calais Campbell, Jason Peters, Patrick Peterson, Duane Brown, Julio Jones, Ndamukong Suh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
For the Bucs you could add Tristan Wirfs and Antoine Winfield Jr as exciting young prospects. Wirfs is 3x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro, 1x SB Ring and has been dominant every year he's played. AWJ has a Pro Bowl, All Pro, and a ring and is a player who puts up sacks/INTs/FF so if he continues that trend he could make a case some day.

I also wish Lavonte got more love. He's always in the shadow of Bobby Wagner but David was more productive.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Don't care until Gates is in

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

a neat cape posted:

Don't care until Gates is in

I still can't believe he didn't get in last year. He was absolutely deserving of first ballot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wandler20 posted:

For the Bucs you could add Tristan Wirfs and Antoine Winfield Jr as exciting young prospects. Wirfs is 3x Pro Bowl, 1x All Pro, 1x SB Ring and has been dominant every year he's played. AWJ has a Pro Bowl, All Pro, and a ring and is a player who puts up sacks/INTs/FF so if he continues that trend he could make a case some day.

I also wish Lavonte got more love. He's always in the shadow of Bobby Wagner but David was more productive.

Frankly I have no idea how off-ball linebackers develop their reputations unless they are so obviously taking over the game like Ray Lewis would.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Davante Adams has to be a maybe at the very least.

6 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pros
872 receptions, 10,781 yards and 95 TDs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dak isn't going to make the hall because he can't win under pressure.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I understand why you're going team by team, but that's not how the HoF works.

Also lol crediting Von Miller as a Bills future HoFer. I think most Bills' fans would prefer he was never on that roster.

Double also, you left off Maye for the Patriots.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I understand why you're going team by team, but that's not how the HoF works.

Also lol crediting Von Miller as a Bills future HoFer. I think most Bills' fans would prefer he was never on that roster.

Double also, you left off Maye for the Patriots.

I know how it works. I'm not crediting him as a "Bills Hall of Famer," I'm calling him a future Hall of Famer who is currently on the Buffalo Bills. Do you think I thought Bobby Wagner was going to be baseball style inducted as a Washington Commander?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Big Jeff

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Derrick Brown erasure shut up he's all we have

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I always enjoy Hall of Fame chat. Some thoughts on the list:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pittsburgh Steelers
Locks: Russell Wilson (43,653 yards, 334 TDs, 9x Pro Bowl, Super Bowl champ, 179 career AV, led traditionally moribund franchise to new heights)

I was prepared to question whether Wilson is a lock, but I think 9x Pro Bowls probably gives him an edge. That said, his late career downturn in Denver had a lot of people openly questioning his legacy, and for better or worse, his most iconic play will likely always be the Malcom Butler interception that lost a Super Bowl. He need to bounce back with Pittsburgh to refresh things, cause that'll likely be the biggest difference between him getting in within his first few years of eligibility, or waiting a while.

Atlanta Falcons
What if Kirk got a ring tho

Winning a ring for the Atlanta Falcons would basically guarantee him a bust in the hall.

Matt Stafford needed another ring to get any real consideration. Cooper Kupp is already on the wrong side of 30 and only has honors for one season.

Kupp right now is a Ring of Honor guy, as raw numbers are pretty key for receivers and he lacks them right now.

Stafford, however, is a very interesting discussion. His raw numbers have him 11th in pass attempts, completions, yards, and touchdowns, with Aaron Rodgers being the only active player ahead of him (Rodgers is 8th, 10th, 9th, and 5th in those respective categories). As long as he doesn't get hurt early on, he's going to pass Eli Manning in everything except attempts this season, will pass Dan Marino in attempts and could finish the season close to him in yardage, and a good season could also see him pass Matt Ryan in touchdowns. A few more good seasons (By no means a guarantee) will have him further up the list. Stafford's lack of individual accolades gets offset a good bit by the narrative of "He played for the Detroit Lions rebuilding after Matt Millen", and being in the NFC during the heights of guys like Rodgers and Brees (Among others) limiting his chances for Pro Bowls and other awards. If he gets another ring, he's an absolute lock, but I think another 2-3 good seasons make him a very strong candidate.

Guys with good chances who don't have a team but are not technically retired:
Calais Campbell, Jason Peters, Patrick Peterson, Duane Brown, Julio Jones, Ndamukong Suh

Calais Campbell, as much as I loved him as a player, feels like a dude who has a wait once he's retired or ends up as a Senior nominee way down the line, unless he goes out with a ring or suddenly has a huge revival season. Jason Peters' numbers and accolades are close to Trent Williams, so I think he's likely getting in, assuming he doesn't keep playing for random teams for years on end causing his memory to fade a bit.

wandler20 posted:

Lavonte is gonna be a guy who likely gets some very passionate support from a few voters a few years after he is eligible and people go back and look at his career and go "Oh yeah, he was really that good". The lack of awards and being overshadowed by another at the same position seems to happen a lot with linebackers (See outside linebackers in the 80s during peak LT, or middle linebackers in the 00s during the years where Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher ate all the attention), causing them to wait a few years, but they do often seem to get in eventually.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dak isn't going to make the hall because he can't win under pressure.

:hmmyes:

As a serious answer, Dak needs to either get his counting stats way the gently caress up or win a bunch of playoff games before he'd even be sniffing the HoF. Right now, he's not that far off from Tony Romo's career numbers, so make of that what you will, since there really ain't any movement to get :romo: in the hall.

I know how it works. I'm not crediting him as a "Bills Hall of Famer," I'm calling him a future Hall of Famer who is currently on the Buffalo Bills. Do you think I thought Bobby Wagner was going to be baseball style inducted as a Washington Commander?

Just a reminder for everyone, since this seems to come up fairly often when we discuss the Hall of Fame, but retiring as a member of a specific team is just a minor honorific in football and has no bearing on anything. The Pro Football Hall of Fame doesn't induct someone as a member of a specific team like baseball does, they literally list every franchise they played for and which years, as you can see in the example below:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
barring another ring Stanford is not a Hall of Famer and even then it'd take a few years. constantly came up short in big games til he went to a superteam, never in the mvp conversation, at best has been the third best qb in the NFC. no fame

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Superteam lol

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I agree with the vast majority of your opinions, just a couple ones I differ, like for instance Joey Bosa and Budda Baker, who I think will never get even close to maybe being in the Hall

also you forgot to mention Derrick Henry has a 2k yard season on 16 games

obviously that on its own will not put a player in the Hall, even though it was only done 8 times, but when you factor in everything else he has done and how dominant and durable he has been on a position that's been having a low shelf life, I think he gets enshrined

all players who had 2k seasons are in the HoF, except CJ2K, Jamal Lewis and Adrian Peterson, but AP getting there is just a mere formality

what I'm saying is: hell yeah, put Ravens legend Derrick Henry in the Hall

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 2, 2024

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fartknocker posted:

Stafford, however, is a very interesting discussion. His raw numbers have him 11th in pass attempts, completions, yards, and touchdowns, with Aaron Rodgers being the only active player ahead of him (Rodgers is 8th, 10th, 9th, and 5th in those respective categories). As long as he doesn't get hurt early on, he's going to pass Eli Manning in everything except attempts this season, will pass Dan Marino in attempts and could finish the season close to him in yardage, and a good season could also see him pass Matt Ryan in touchdowns. A few more good seasons (By no means a guarantee) will have him further up the list. Stafford's lack of individual accolades gets offset a good bit by the narrative of "He played for the Detroit Lions rebuilding after Matt Millen", and being in the NFC during the heights of guys like Rodgers and Brees (Among others) limiting his chances for Pro Bowls and other awards. If he gets another ring, he's an absolute lock, but I think another 2-3 good seasons make him a very strong candidate.

I think this era of QBs is gonna get weird just because everyone has inflated counting stats compared to years past. I think some people still view Stafford as Drew Bledsoe with a ring.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

justin fields

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mystic Stylez posted:

I agree with the vast majority of your opinions, just a couple ones I differ, like for instance Joey Bosa and Budda Baker, who I think will never get even close to maybe being in the Hall

obviously that on its own will not put a player in the Hall, even though it was only done 8 times, but when you factor in everything else he has done and how dominant and durable he has been on a position that's been having a low shelf life, I think he gets enshrined

all players who had 2k seasons are in the HoF, except CJ2K, Jamal Lewis and Adrian Peterson, but AP getting there is just a mere formality

yeah he's the best RB put his rear end In

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Bo Jackson belongs in the Hall of Fame for ending Bosworth's career in a single play + the 91 yard TD run where he hits Ludicrous Speed and runs into the tunnel, both on the same night.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Bo Jackson's fame is beyond the HOF. It is greater than Dieon Sander's mythical upper floor of the HOF and has ascended into the atmosphere. For Bo to go to the HOF would be a step down.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Phillip Rivers belongs in there, because.

e: lol, George Kittle?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

Kittle will probably surpass Winslow on the all time list this season and will be top 5 with moderate production if he retires at 32 or 33.

Add in what by then is probably going to be 8 or 9 pro bowls and maybe a ring he'll for sure be a HOFer barring some kind of crazy set back.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Kittle will probably surpass Winslow on the all time list this season and will be top 5 with moderate production if he retires at 32 or 33.

Add in what by then is probably going to be 8 or 9 pro bowls and maybe a ring he'll for sure be a HOFer barring some kind of crazy set back.

But what if he makes a cool play but it gets called back on a blatantly legitimate penalty?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

Phil's gonna get in because he was passionate, never missed a game, retired top 5 in all the counting stats, and the media likes him.

People here are gonna gnash their teeth about it, but it's gonna happen

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think Rivers is absolutely deserving. He was very good for a long time, just concurrent with several of the best to ever play the position.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Came here to do an obligatory shitpost for Anthony Richardson but drat y’all this thread has really good effort posts and I appreciate the good work :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they should end the hall of fame. it's too old style

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mystic Stylez posted:

Henry right now is pretty comparable to Chris Johnson, but with more touchdowns:

Henry: 9502 rushing yards, 4.7 career Y/A, 90 rush TD, 4 Pro Bowl, 1 All Pro, 1 AP OPotY, 10960 total yards from scrimmage, along with 3 receiving and 4 passing TD
Johnson: 9651 rushing yards, 4.5 career Y/A, 55 rush TD, 3 Pro Bowl, 1 All Pro, 1 AP OPotY, 11906 total yards from scrimmage and 9 receiving TD

As long as he doesn't get hurt, he'll pass 10K career rushing yards, and likely 100 career rushing TD this coming season. Those two milestones plus the 2K yard season and a good number of memorable highlights that he has will likely give him a decent case down the line, particularly if he can climbing both lists and if the Ravens have success while he's there.

Coincidentally, while looking up their numbers, both are also fairly similar to Shaun Alexander in all numbers and awards. Alexander had the benefit of an MVP, but people also look back at him playing with two HoF lineman during his peak years and him getting hurt and falling off quickly once he turned 29, the same age Henry is now. Just something to think about.

I think this era of QBs is gonna get weird just because everyone has inflated counting stats compared to years past. I think some people still view Stafford as Drew Bledsoe with a ring.

Technically, Bledsoe has a ring :v:

Stafford's numbers are going to be a bit inflated by the era, but at least from what I've seen/heard, the media narrative is generally friendly toward him. Stafford pretty much did everything he possibly could while in Detroit, but the franchise had so many issues he couldn't overcome them, and him winning as soon as he went to the Rams and got paired with a good coach and defense was treated as "See, he really was that good all along". He's not a slam dunk by any means, and still can add plenty to his resume, but I think he's already got a decent case.

a neat cape posted:

Phil's gonna get in because he was passionate, never missed a game, retired top 5 in all the counting stats, and the media likes him.

People here are gonna gnash their teeth about it, but it's gonna happen

Rivers deserves to go in and anyone who is against it is just weird.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I used up all my teeth-gnashing on Terrell Davis, I'll allow Phil to enter

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
3 or more 1st team all-pros, and/or 2 rings is pretty much the floor for induction

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I had no idea Henry had 4 passing TDs, let alone 2 last year. Incredible

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

D-LINK posted:

3 or more 1st team all-pros, and/or 2 rings is pretty much the floor for induction

Antonio Gates taps his foot

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Cavauro posted:

they should end the hall of fame. it's too old style

It's literally one of the only good things about Ohio, leave it right where it's at!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

D-LINK posted:

Is that for regular positions or for QBs?

fartknocker posted:

I was prepared to question whether Wilson is a lock, but I think 9x Pro Bowls probably gives him an edge. That said, his late career downturn in Denver had a lot of people openly questioning his legacy, and for better or worse, his most iconic play will likely always be the Malcom Butler interception that lost a Super Bowl. He need to bounce back with Pittsburgh to refresh things, cause that'll likely be the biggest difference between him getting in within his first few years of eligibility, or waiting a while.

Russell Wilson, I hope, is a HoF, but I’m not sure if his current resume is enough.

If Seattle had won the Super Bowl against the Patriots then yeah I’d say a lock for sure.

Wilson has more pro bowls than many of the QBs above him on this list, but also fewer all-pros. The QBs without all-pros have two championships.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_QB.htm

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Wilson does have neat narrative moments, but that doesn’t seem like enough to get him into the hall.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think being far and away the best QB in a franchise's history counts for something (sorry to any Dave Krieg stans out there). There are few teams founded before the '90s who don't have a significant QB either already in or likely getting in when eligible.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Wilson is a first ballot Hall of BS guy, but idk about fame.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think being far and away the best QB in a franchise's history counts for something (sorry to any Dave Krieg stans out there). There are few teams founded before the '90s who don't have a significant QB either already in or likely getting in when eligible.

Yeah. And the first ring. And plentiful playoff appearances. Plus the electric playmaking!

He was a rad qb and I love him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Wilson is certainly a HoF. Of course he's unlikeable and fun to laugh at, but let's not be silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’m not questioning whether Wilson will get in, I think he’s done more than enough to get in. My question is whether he’d get elected in the first year or two, or if he’d have to wait a bit.