Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

terrible programming and plang threads both feel very web oriented. surely i am not the only person on these forums who has the pleasure of writing desktop software for a living. we deserve a thread to commiserate things like:

* operating system compatibility
* users not installing updates
* windows installers
* ui toolkits
* logging from a desktop application

personally i live in winforms and wpf but if you live in winui or maui you're welcome here too. hell, if you're in java swing or awt or something you can join in too. but if you ship a web browser and some html and pretend its a desktop application like slack or discord or something then im not sure youre cut out for this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

winforms is still the best ui framework

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I use applications on my desktop, op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
and I’m miserable. coincidence?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I've never used electron or whatever, op. Seems like it's a really heavy-handed way to make a desktop app.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

akadajet posted:

politely disagree

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

akadajet posted:

I've never used electron or whatever, op. Seems like it's a really heavy-handed way to make a desktop app.

i agree

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

politely disagree

I really enjoyed it back in the day. Compared to trying to use MFC or whatever. When I had to use WPF I hated every moment of it.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
i work with swing a bit at work. i kinda like farting around with ui stuff, i wish i could do more of it but we’re phasing out our swing front end in favor of a web ui that has fewer features

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
at least i don’t need to work on the web ui tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

waiting for godot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

winforms and wpf are pretty dang good and i havent seen anything better yet.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Captain Foo posted:

waiting for godot

godot exists what are you waiting for

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
I once wrote a like 20 line autohotkey script which massconverts xlsx to pdf by actually running excel and using the builtin save-as-pdf functionality. My brother uses it for generating invoices. He told me to start selling it lol.
I remember AHK being a quirky little language (which they improved in a compatibility break iirc), but I can't remember why. Incredible tool tho because of the things it has access to.
I think that's the closest I ever came to producing actual desktop software.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ahk is cool. ive used it at work too but i dont remember the details of how

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HamAdams posted:

i work with swing a bit at work. i kinda like farting around with ui stuff, i wish i could do more of it but we’re phasing out our swing front end in favor of a web ui that has fewer features

do you guys place everything by hand? there was a team in my company that used to do that and it was miserable having to deal with their code

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

everything being designed for a phone/tablet is really fail

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m thinking of writing a desktop app for drawing vector art for arduino & I’m thinking of making it in godot. better than electron imo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

would love to learn app development in godot

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ll let you know how it goes. I line godot but also it’s the only framework I kinda know

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

except for metro. remember metro?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

no

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

metro was the new windows api ms cooked up for windows 8, it was based on .net and pretty cool imo. but I guess it didn’t get enough traction and they abandoned it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i thought metro was the design language and the api was uwp or something

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if this thread becomes the explaining-microsoft-naming thread i suggest we just gas. the double linux thread period was already shameful, let's not do it for microsoft too.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

you’re right, but UWP is windows 10. I’m whinkjngof Windows RT

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

i thought metro was the design language and the api was uwp or something

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060133

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok ok. let’s discuss the pros and cons of writing a desktop app in godot:

pro: cross platform, not electron, has its own python like scripting language (at least that’s a pro for me)

con: it’s a video game engine

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

ok ok. let’s discuss the pros and cons of writing a desktop app in godot:

pro: cross platform, not electron, has its own python like scripting language (at least that’s a pro for me)

why not use ue5

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

personal preference

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

remember back when unity would be the obvious option in this conversation? lol

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Silver Alicorn posted:

part of me still balks a little at building desktop apps around a game loop with constant refresh/redrawing, but Godot provides set_low_processor_usage_mode to avoid that, and it's already vastly better in terms of response time and debuggability than whatever microfrontend hell the median Electron developer sets up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we have an app that coordinates updates and installs for different products. its kinda like the jetbrains tray app if you use their tools at all. it works pretty well. except on parallels, on ARM macs, where "update all" updates 1 product, then barfs an error code for the rest. very fun!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
waiting for godot (apps)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is actually a good thread to do another shoutout for dear imgui and imitators. and decker for that matter.

if i need to knock out a visualization of something those are where i head atm, imgui if i have code and need to just make it pop ui to control/view, decker for a bit interactive presentations.

it is especially on-theme as dear imgui is very much the "lets just do game-style drawing" ui toolkit, which makes it a very good retrofit for a lot of code where you have no planned state but things are evolving as the thing runs.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

akadajet posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
autohotkey is actually fully sick, yeah. We use it in our mmo to automate complex keystroke sequences and do multi binds to keys

another thing i have used for hijinks in the past is Sikuli.

back at the motorola job, we had a softphone and i wanted it to auto-answer when a call came in. sikuli can watch an area of the screen for a color change, and use that as an input to execute UI commands. so i had it stare at the INCOMING CALL widget on the softphone client; when it changed from gray to red, it would wait 2 seconds, and then move down to a specific x and y and click.

Then i just hung out on the front sidewalk all night (this was third shift and i was the only person at the plant) chain smoking and staring at the night sky, and i'd hear a click in my super long range wireless headset and know my phone picked up and could do the "thank you for calling motorola support this is jonny, am i speaking to a manager or associate, and what is your store number" while running back to my desk to work the call

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

is winforms dpi-aware yet, or is everything still blurry on scaled displays?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it is and has been pretty much since windows added high dpi support, but applications have to be updated to support it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wedging a full-height tower between your ankles