Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hello one and all, and welcome to my Screenshot Let's Play of Pokémon Fool's Gold!

What is Fool's Gold?
Despite the name, Fool's Gold is actually a romhack of Pokemon Crystal. It started as a romhack that redesigns every single Pokemon in the game, but since then has been expanded to have more than 400 Pokemon total, entirely new areas, and other neat things.

There is a trailer for Fool's Gold on Youtube, but I won't link it here since it both contains spoilers and is somewhat outdated for the newest version of the romhack. However, it gives the game the tag line:

A somewhat familiar Johto experience ...where everything is a little bit different

I think this is a good description of this romhack.

Notably, this is not an extreme difficulty hack or anything. The devs assure us that you could beat the game with any team you want and don't have to worry too much about movesets. That's fantastic because that is how I like to play Pokemon, and also that means I can easily take into account your suggestions for which Pokemon to put in my party.

What will this Let's Play look like?
I am planning to show off everything that is unique to this romhack. New Pokemon, new moves, new areas, and so on. However, even though the game makes it possible, I won't attempt to catch 'em all. I tend to burn out when I try that. Instead I'll post Pokedex entries whenever we first encounter a new Pokemon. I'll try to fight all the trainers but I won't be spending hours looking for low-encounter rate Pokemon. Hopefully a later trainer will have it and if not I can always go back later.

Throughout the LP, I will take suggestions from you all on what Pokemon to have in my party, as well as their nicknames. Feel free to post suggestions at any time!
This LP will be cross-posted between SA and the LP Beach, so I'll take suggestions from both threads.

I played a previous version of this romhack up till about the 5th badge, so it will become a mostly blind LP after that.

Spoiler policy
Please don't talk about anything Fool's Gold we haven't seen yet. Any discussion about official Pokemon games or other romhacks is perfectly fine.

Table of Contents
Part 1: Welcome to the world of Pokemon
Part 2: Arisu
Part 3: Violet City
Part 4: SLOWPOKETAIL? In this economy?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Reserved just in case.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Part 1: Welcome to the world of Pokemon

Well, let's jump right into it, shall we?

As the game boots up, it first shows the developers of this romhack.

Hmm, is that a Ditto?

I start a new game.

If you bought this with real-world money, you have been scammed.
Please do not distribute this without crediting the devs and providing an official link.
If you have any questions about anything Fool's Gold, join the Discord server: discord.gg/xMA9Udq

Speaking of, if you want to play the romhack yourself, you can download it here. You're looking for the "FOOLS GOLD 1.3.1.ips" file. According to the wiki, that ...other patch file is "considered non-canon and it is recommended you use the normal patch for a first playthrough".

After asking me if I want to play as a boy or a girl, the game asks if I want to enter a password. This can only be done when starting a new game, and passwords modify the game in some way.
Some passwords you can find during normal gameplay, others have only been handed out by the devs. Either way, this is intended for a kind of New Game Plus so let's skip it for now.

The game jumps into the normal Pokemon Crystal intro, although it shows the redesigned Aipom sprite.

Some of the default nickname choices are the devs' names.

Once the intro is done, let's take a look at the map on the wall in our room.

Hmm, that looks a bit different than I remember it.

Nothing much in New Bark Town has changed. Our mother gives us the Pokegear, the rival is rude as always and all the dialogue is original. This is one thing you'll notice throughout the LP: everything starts off looking quite vanilla but the further we get, the more different things get.

Let's go pick a starter.

Cyndaquil, the Ice Mouse Pokemon
Type: Ice
Pokedex: Said to be a timid POKÉMON. It uses the icicles that protrude from its back to protect itself.

Totodile, the Pilot Pokemon
Type: Flying
Pokedex: Even though it was born with no wings its greatest ambition in life is to fly. Its wings are hand-made.

Chikorita, the Nunchaku Pokemon
Type: Fighting
Pokedex: It is slothlike and rarely moves, but occasionally manages to hit its enemy with the nunchuk on its head.

So, dear readers, of course I'll leave this to a thread vote.

Please leave suggestions for the following:
- Our gender and nickname (max 7 characters).
- Our starter and its nickname (max 10 characters).
- The rival's name.

Progress:
- Pokemon seen: 3/433 (0.69%)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, this looks unique. I've been looking for a new romhack to play too so this may convince me to play it.

I have no particular votes for any names but I think we should start with Cyndaquil because these games never give you Ice types early and as we all know Ice is the strongest and most broken type in the game and should make your playthrough a lot easier.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This sounds interesting, curious to see where it ends up going.

I don't care about trainer gender/name, but even though Chikorita looks derpy as hell, I won't stand another fighting type starter thanks to GameFreak so effectively poisoning that well.
So let's give Chomps the Totodile a chance to really fly!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Chikorita is actually disadvantaged against Totodile, not only because of the weakness, but also because fighting type is not very effective against flying. So Chikorita is definitely hard mode.

I agree, however, that Cyndaquil is the correct choice.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I love that nunchaku chikorita.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Snuggles the Cyndaquil is a precious little baby and will be our partner in our journey.

Oh yeah, and we are a Girl, obviously. No opinion on name or the rival.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

DoubleNegative posted:

Chikorita is actually disadvantaged against Totodile, not only because of the weakness, but also because fighting type is not very effective against flying. So Chikorita is definitely hard mode.

I agree, however, that Cyndaquil is the correct choice.

I mean yeah, since the triangle goes the other way.
Chikorita is good against Cyndaquil in this, because Fighting beats Ice.

Agreed though, Cyndaquil is the best.
Also Girl.

No preference on names.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I like Totodile a lot, very charming fellow.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Totadile

Seriously, it has little fake wings on its back, because it desperately wants to fly. That's amazing!

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
We're a girl and we're picking Chikorita. I used Cyndaquil in my run of this and I'm not a fan of the Totodile line.

This hack rules, it really delivers on the feeling of running into a weird creature in the grass that I haven't gotten in the last few canon games (because a lot of them get revealed aa marketing and such).

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I vote Totodile, they were always my favorite out of these starter picks and they look like a nice little fella here.

Voting for girl as the character as well, named Tron. No preference on rival name.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
A Chikorita named Mikey seems like a good starter pick to me.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

So let's give Chomps the Totodile a chance to really fly!

Also I vote for Alice the trainer, since this is clearly Wonderland.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pyroi posted:

Snuggles the Cyndaquil is a precious little baby and will be our partner in our journey.

Oh yeah, and we are a Girl, obviously. No opinion on name or the rival.

I agree with all of this. I love Cyndaquil's line. I dunno why but my brain says "Marsha" as the trainer name, no opinion on rival.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DONGS

I played this before so I wont foul the blind voting pool.
Good hack, definitely up there for concept, effort and execution. Rare stuff.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Voting to play a girl and pick the Totodile named Harvey

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Also voting for girl with a Cyndaquil.

I've seen a lot of praise for this hack but never gave it a shot myself, interested to see what I've been missing out on.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm gonna buck the trend and say girl with totodile because while cyndaquil looks cool and early ice type is novel, picking it means the rival will make us look at the horrible things they did to chicorita.

Also, totodile's hat is cute, and we'll never see it again if we pick cyndaquil.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Is it one of these hacks with new story? Hopefully not, because those are usually... subpar.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like this romhack, i played with cyndaquil so i think id rather vote for totodile bc that hats very cute

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Gonna have to be a gal with a Totodile

she wants to fly, let her fly

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

oh man, all of these reworked starters are real good. I cant make a choice

... Bruce the Chikorita

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
The rival's name is and always has been ????, anyway Cyndaquil.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

The rival's name is and always has been ????, anyway Cyndaquil.
:emptyquote:

I also like the name Snuggles, very chill for our new ice friend.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oooh this looks fun, and some crazy stuff right out the gate with the starters too.

We should be a girl, I have no preference for the player name, and as is tradition the rival must be called BUTTS.

I'd be excited for any of the starters but I'm leaning towards Cyndaquil because I deeply appreciate ice types especially in romhacks that go out of their way to make them useful in the early game. Snuggles is a wonderful name for it, and I'd prefer a female starter too but resetting for that can be a pain in the rear end so don't subject yourself to that if you don't want to.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
This looks like it will be fun. I think we should have a girl and her partner should be a Totodile

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Our girl, Sarah, wielding the Chikorita, Nunchi.

Edit: Failing that name, backing Cullen's suggestion of Mikey for the Chikorita.

Edit 2: Forgot the Rival's name. BUTTS

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 10, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll nth the suggestions to be a Girl trainer, because Green was the best trainer in Pokemon Adventures, and I REALLY want to say Chikorita named Norris for our starter, because I'm old-school in my memes, but I'll say Cyndaquil because I don't think you ever get an ice pokemon early on.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Gender I don't care about, but Starter should be Totodile because look at that hat and those wings, its wonderful

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's close! We're currently at 11 votes for Totodile, 10 for Cyndaquil, and 4 for Chikorita (5 if I count Siegkrow, I'm not sure if that post was intended as a vote or not).

I'll leave the vote open for a bit more, see if a clear winner emerges.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hell yeah. Hats making a comeback

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cyndiquil.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Let that poor Totodile fly.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Thank you for flying Air Toto, have a nice day.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Voting Totodile, let's make their dream come true.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Thank you for flying Air Toto, have a nice day.

I voted for Cyndaquil already but it seems like Totodile is going to win at this point, so I'd like to just say that if Totodile wins "Air Toto" would be a great nickname for them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That hat is too awesome to deny. Totodile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Decided to start playing this romhack. Took the Punching Chikorita.

Two gyms in and it's pretty fun so far. Some of the pokemon pictures are frankly distrubing. Croconaw is my favorite sprite so far.