Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

I felt pretty similarly but they do a great job feeling like it wasn't a "gotcha" or needless gut punch. DR3 is so much better than 1 or 2 it honestly feels like it was made by different people or something

I think the translation is a big part of it it's so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanted to play Shibby scramble but it's expensive still

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We just got back into DR3. I was forbidden from playing during the semester because she didn't want to miss anything and something about focusing on school work. Can't wait to make friends with Creepy Bug Dude and Gimp Anthropologist

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Gonta not creepy

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I'm on the third chapter investigation now and this game is by far the best of the series and I kind of want to drag out the rest of the game since this is the last one. The cast is so much better than the other games since there's not a half-dozen loud, wacky characters that don't contribute anything.

I'm not ever going to get tired of the monokubs theme song.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

DR3 second case thoughts

I usually don't try too hard to figure out the case before playing the trial but I was able to figure this one out pretty easily. They made the deciding evidence so easy to pinpoint the culprit that it makes the whole case feel kind of weird. Like why wouldn't the maid just fish that poo poo out of the pool the next morning before the magic show?

Next case setup is super creepy and I'm looking forward to the trial.

also just realized that holding down a button speeds up the transition loading graphics. has this always been a thing in these games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I know Ultra Despair Girls is supposed to be Not Great but for $12 is it a decent amount of fun?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Len posted:

I know Ultra Despair Girls is supposed to be Not Great but for $12 is it a decent amount of fun?

load up the cutscenes on youtube and pause between each one to play a better shooter

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Len posted:

I played it like a month or so ago and it's pretty mediocre, but not really in the way you'd think. I was hoping the story would be interesting but it's mainly all the most played out DR plot beats and none of it is particularly good.

Gameplay is super easy and simple but honestly not as bad as I expected. You'll end up shooting the same monokuma enemy hundreds of times but I still liked trying to shoot them in the eye for the extra money long after it no longer mattered. The little arcade puzzle rooms also get kind of interesting as the game goes on. It's really easy, though, like I got the tutorial prompt for the last stand mechanic when you run out of health on the last boss.

One of the problems is they forgot they were making a third-person shooter and not a visual novel so you have a ton of really long cutscenes pretty frequently and it's rare to go more than five minutes of gametime without some type of interruption. They also had a "the game must be this long" quota because every section goes is really padded out. It's an 18 hour game that should've been about 10.

So, yeah, it's not great but if you want more DR, it's not the worst spin-off game I've played.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
428 Shibuya Scramble is 40% off on PSN right now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Am I crazy of is v3 a lot more crass than the other games in the series?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Len posted:

Am I crazy of is v3 a lot more crass than the other games in the series?

its only miu really. i think nurse girl and hiyoko in dr2 are suppoised to be more crass as well but 90% of the dialogue in dr2 came out as it can't be helped....in such a situation...only *that* style of localization could be the culprit.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

mysterious loyall X posted:

its only miu really. i think nurse girl and hiyoko in dr2 are suppoised to be more crass as well but 90% of the dialogue in dr2 came out as it can't be helped....in such a situation...only *that* style of localization could be the culprit.

lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gonta and I are bff's and the third murder victim has been found. I'm glad they got it. They were not someone I enjoyed interacting with

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are you loving kidding me?

Case 4

Gonta :smith:

Also I just realized that the dead people have unique X designs over their faces

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Len posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

Case 4

Gonta :smith:

Also I just realized that the dead people have unique X designs over their faces

I just played this chapter tonight and I still can't believe how much better 3 is compared to the first two games. Characters are so much better it's like it's a different writer all together.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah it's wild I don't know if they changed the writers around or something or it's a translation thing or what but they managed to make something really compelling. First two games were cool but V3 is awesome all the way to the very end

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm investigating case 5 right now. Aiming to finish the main story today.

This game has been one wild rear end ride so far and I expect it's going to really ramp the insanity here soon

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The closing argument might be my least favorite part. It just feels overly long and doesn't really add anything that I didnt just spend an entire section of the game piecing together.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Len posted:

The closing argument might be my least favorite part. It just feels overly long and doesn't really add anything that I didnt just spend an entire section of the game piecing together.

The music and art for those parts is awesome though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

Yeah it's wild I don't know if they changed the writers around or something or it's a translation thing or what but they managed to make something really compelling. First two games were cool but V3 is awesome all the way to the very end

its the translation

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Final trial spoilers

Ah yes, I see how saying "recruitment of talented students" contradicts the truth bullet saying they didn't take applications. At no point in this round of nonstop debate do they mention the applications. That was during the spot right before where you couldn't do anything beyond hit x.

Apparently recruitment can only mean applications and not scouting students.

Also Hopes Peak absolutely took applications from rich kids who wants to have Hopes Peak on their transcripts.

Edit: What's that emote of the psyduck that explodes into psyducks? Because that goes here.

Credits are finally rolling I think. Man that was a long trial

Len fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 20, 2019

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i assumed that bit was just translated wrong because it didn't make sense to me either

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

What's good to play if I already played Danganronpa and Zero Escape and Ace Attorney (and Ghost Trick)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CuddlyZombie posted:

What's good to play if I already played Danganronpa and Zero Escape and Ace Attorney (and Ghost Trick)

Have you played Super Mario Bros.?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Have you played Super Mario Bros.?

Yeah but they reused the same twist 7 times so gently caress that game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CuddlyZombie posted:

The time travel one whose name I forget is pretty good . Someone will remember . It's really just like a straight up VN though and doesn't have the interactivity of those other games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

The time travel one whose name I forget is pretty good . Someone will remember . It's really just like a straight up VN though and doesn't have the interactivity of those other games

Steins;Gate probably

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah but they reused the same twist 7 times so gently caress that game.

the bushes are recolored clouds

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Just finished the last chapters of DRv3 and kind of wish I had played them sooner instead of setting it to the side since RE2 came out. This poo poo was crazy.

Case 5 I don't get why Kaito revealed himself at the end unless he was just supposed to come off as dumb as gently caress. Like wasn't the whole point of the last part of the trial to trick Monokuma into revealing that he didn't know who did it and the that the game wasn't being run correctly? What was the point of literally committing the perfect murder only to reveal yourself at the end? I get all of this doesn't matter once case 6 comes around and reveals they picked the wrong killer and survived but whatever.

Case 6 lmao at telling a monkuma head to give birth is the tipping point of the game. Once that whole section happened, the gears started turning and made me remember the only event that happened in that bathroom in the entire game and who was in it.

I hated the Junko reveal when it first happened but then they went whole-hog MGS2 style for the ending and I ended up quite liking it. The whole thing with the logo reveal was great. Never expected anything out of the weird title since Japanese stuff always uses dumb poo poo like adding R or ~if~ to a title and calling it a day. I liked the failing mechanic at the end and can only think of a couple similar scenarios in games. The whole fictional characters becoming aware of being fictional characters and basically quitting the fiction was pretty cool.

The last trial to the very end was super long though, around 2.5 hours and probably should've been a bit shorter.

Favorite chapter was probably 3. I always like middle parts of these games the best where the cast has been pared down a bit but the game isn't doing the huge plot twist stuff and it's more about the murders. I started coming around to the culture dude around this chapter and the atmosphere of the new area was cool and spooky and the I loved the idea of their being two murders by two different characters but it didn't turn out that way. Would've been cool to see something like that pulled off. Both of the murders in this chapter were cool, especially the seance one.

other thoughts Tenko was the only character I found really annoying which is way less than the other games where half the cast in each is kind of poo poo. One thing I think they messed up a bit on was overusing Kokichi like they did with Nagito in 2 but I liked both characters so not a huge dealbreaker.

Definitely the best game in the series. Best cast of characters, best trials, best production values. Probably going to replay some of the these trials to see how the back routes work since I didn't find any while playing normally. Going to feel a bit weird replaying them though after the final trial reveals.

Will probably start playing VLR soon to get a new fix for crazy plot poo poo.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 18, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

428 Shibuya Scramble is 50% off on PSN finally . Just for the weekend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Oooooo

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

its really good lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

Thats still like 30 dollars for a fuckin 20 year old wii game. gently caress you chubsoft. Im not a loving SLOPE who pays 100 dollars for lovely vns. Im an AMERICAN and we have the FREEDOM to buy rape based gaming on steam for as little as 99 cents

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

im waiting for them to put the english version on a handheld why isn't it on vita (life) or switch (switch)

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I played VLR last weekend and it was really good and lmao at it making poo poo like this plot relevant.

I played ZTD for about an hour and it not being a visual novel and more like a telltale game might not be a good thing. Having to watch cutscenes instead of reading text makes it feel really slow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked ZTD even if it was uglier than VLR and had an even stupider story. Well that's probably why I liked it

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I'm looking forward to stupid poo poo but it's going to be hard to top the main character not realizing he is a 70 year old man with a robot eye and cybernetic arms who is also suffering from a fatal disease that makes you process stuff at 20% normal speed and that's not even counting all the time-traveling poo poo.

lol just thinking about it while typing that out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sivek posted:

I'm looking forward to stupid poo poo but it's going to be hard to top the main character not realizing he is a 70 year old man with a robot eye and cybernetic arms who is also suffering from a fatal disease that makes you process stuff at 20% normal speed and that's not even counting all the time-traveling poo poo.

lol just thinking about it while typing that out.

They come pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol I forgot about the dilated time aspect