Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I had Taichi :negative:

Against KENTA :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
fuckin rip in pieces me i was nowhere near correct on how that all shook out

like at least last year i had the finals nailed down even if i couldn't have predicted "half of both blocks end at 8 points"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JOHN CENA posted:

it looks like less than 10 people in the thread had Ibushi for the A block

I'm legitimately surprised by that, I felt like they've been building Ibushi up since the COVID return as a guy aiming for higher things, which was part of why I was so convinced Tanahashi was gonna win B Block so Ibushi could put to rest his G1 failure against him from a couple years back.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I'm legitimately surprised by that, I felt like they've been building Ibushi up since the COVID return as a guy aiming for higher things, which was part of why I was so convinced Tanahashi was gonna win B Block so Ibushi could put to rest his G1 failure against him from a couple years back.

yeah i felt like ibushi was pretty married to a match with tana at either the g1 finals or WK. if i had to guess about other peoples predictions (okada was a popular choice) i think the picks for okada were to be a WK opponent for naito to erase all doubt to in victory at the tokyo dome, similar to how okada for years was haunted by being unable to defeat tanahashi there

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

23 motyc thus far for those keeping score.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

23 motyc thus far for those keeping score.

Ibushi/Taichi JUST got added to the list too, if you didn't count that. Switchblade/Ishii is only one vote away from making it on as well.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

That's pretty much why I didn't pick Ibushi. I thought if he was winning than he was facing Tanahashi and it just didn't feel like Tanahashi was built up to have a killer G1 run.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

That was extremely grim for me, 1-4 and I sure didn't pick Ibushi to win the block!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Thanlis posted:

That was extremely grim for me, 1-4 and I sure didn't pick Ibushi to win the block!

:smith::hf::smith:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i figured Ibushi was winning, maaaaybe Okada, because EVIL needs a strong babyface to defeat in the finals, and often NJPW likes to have the previous year's winner act as runner up in the tournament.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Very proud to have predicted every Taichi match correctly, with the exception of the Ibushi match.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's here folks! Sorry for the delay but here are the results that you have been waiting for from the final night of A block:

Jeff Cobb (67%) vs. Yujiro Takahashi (33%)
Shingo Takagi (67%) vs. Minoru Suzuki (31%)
Will Ospreay (41%) vs. Kazuchika Okada (51%)
Kota Ibushi (51%) vs. Taichi (49%)
Jay White (51%) vs. Tomohiro Ishii (49%)

And with A block laid to rest the final point scores were as follows:

Kota Ibushi: 14 points (average prediction 12.29)
Jeff Cobb: 8 points (a.p. 6.16)
Kazuchika Okada: 12 points (a.p. 11.75)
Tomohiro Ishii: 8 points (a.p. 8.16)
Will Ospreay: 12 points (a.p. 10.43)
Shingo Takagi: 8 points (a.p. 10.18)
Minoru Suzuki: 6 points (a.p. 7.88)
Taichi: 8 points (a.p. 9.16)
Jay White: 12 points (a.p. 11.67)
Yujiro Takahashi: 2 points (a.p. 2.33)

All of which means your A block winner is:

1. Kota Ibushi (35%)
2. Kazuchika Okada (25%)
3. Jay White (14%)
4. Will Ospreay (10%)
5=. Taichi (6%)
5=. Shingo Takagi (6%)
7. Tomohiro Ishii (4%)

But what does this mean for our rankings? With so many points on offer everything has shifted! Here's how the table now stands:

1. 148 points: Thauros

2. 145 points: HidaO-Win

3. 144 points: chirico curvie

4. 143 points: Dr. Dirt, Karlos4live

5. 140 points: Rarity

6. 137 points: Netsky

7. 135 points: Jerusalem

8. 134 points: Aesculus, HouseOfLeaves99

9. 133 points: Your Personal Muse

10. 131 points: Carlioo

11. 130 points: extradite THIS!, xbilkis

12. 128 points: Chinook

13. 127 points: I Before E

14. 126 points: duckdealer, Neodoomium

15. 124 points: LupusAter

16. 123 points: Captain Magic, Veryslightlymad

17. 121 points: Power Windows

18. 119 points: TriffTshngo

19. 118 points: Do not even ask, Fadmonkey, JOHN CENA

20. 117 points: Accident Underwater

21. 115 points: Erainor

22. 114 points: Hellblazer187, Seams

23. 113 points: Lid

24. 112 points: John Dudebro

25. 111 points: Eat My Fuc, take the moon

26. 110 points: marioinblack, Thanlis

27. 108 points: Dishonest Resume, karmicknight

28. 106 points: Gaz-L

29. 105 points: Deathlove, Fentry

30. 104 points: Schneider Heim, SG Bamboo

31. 103 points: Artelier

32. 100 points: The Junkyard God

33. 98 points: ItohRespectArmy

34. 97 points: SatoshiMiwa

35. 96 points: GEORGE W BUSHI

36. 93 points: Dr. Dirt's random picks

37. 89 points: Rick

38. 79 points: Gumball Gumption

Two nights to go, it's all still to play for!

Rarity fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 16, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Despite getting impressively hosed over by Fuckhead Billy I still managed to get a big points haul today and judging by the Math I'm still in the running :pray:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
C'mon baby hold together!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I don't seem to be on the scoreboard :ohdear:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
I was doing so well and suddenly I fall down to 10th :sigh: The last night really is the hardest night to predict.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Deathlove posted:

I don't seem to be on the scoreboard :ohdear:

Oops, fixed!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
For weeks, I was held back in the standings because I "only watch New Japan a few times a year," but now I'm finally making my move just outside the top 10 on the back of my unwavering faith in Kota Ibushi

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009
As per usual, the last nights of the block kill my predictions. Can't believe Sleazy Jay the Knife Pervert lost.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

wow im so high up

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rarity posted:

Oops, fixed!

Thank you *checks standings*, I think

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Just call me Lucky 13

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

The one time I pick against Ibushi...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

hey 1st place

not gonna last long tho as i assumed if ibushi was making the finals so would tana

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God I actually lifted back up in the rankings!

I mean, I completely hosed up my B Block predictions so it's all gonna fall apart, but it's nice to be in 7th place for now after falling so low.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Gumball Gumption congratulations to MY champion

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I should’ve used a spreadsheet :negative:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Never before has my av been more appropriate.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

thank you Ibushi for pulling me out of my rightly deserved spot at the bottom

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
Rarity, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've run the calculations for my predictions and I'm afraid they don't agree completely with what you've just posted. Can you please double-check?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Embarrassingly I'm not sure what my predictions finished up on exactly. I kinda did it last minute after only really following the last few months of NJPW through WOR. I think I settled on Ibushi winning A-Block and Sanada wining B block and Ibushi winning in the final. My thought process was that they wanted Sanada to get a big push, but Ibushi is signed in now, he's not getting younger and he needs to win the big belt.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

Embarrassingly I'm not sure what my predictions finished up on exactly. I kinda did it last minute after only really following the last few months of NJPW through WOR. I think I settled on Ibushi winning A-Block and Sanada wining B block and Ibushi winning in the final. My thought process was that they wanted Sanada to get a big push, but Ibushi is signed in now, he's not getting younger and he needs to win the big belt.

I really think that approach is an advantage. I took a shot at one of the recent AEW prediction contests and won out because I didn't have any emotional attachment to anything. I'm not heartless enough to predict Ishii going negative.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

After throwing away my lead last year on the B Block final day, crashing and burning this year doesn't feel as bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dr. Dirt posted:

Rarity, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've run the calculations for my predictions and I'm afraid they don't agree completely with what you've just posted. Can you please double-check?

The math's all automated on spreadsheets so it should definitely be right. What do you make it to be?

Rarity fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 17, 2020

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

The math's all automated on spreadsheets so it should definitely be right. What do you make it to be?

Sorry, I hadn’t seen your edit. My calculations for the random tips agreed with yours: 93 points.

I’ve got my proper tips at 133 points (108 from the matches, 15 from Wrestlers’ final scores, 10 from Ibushi winning A Block).

Of course, if I’m right, I’ve just cost myself 5 places, but I’m concerned this might affect others, too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dr. Dirt posted:

Sorry, I hadn’t seen your edit. My calculations for the random tips agreed with yours: 93 points.

I’ve got my proper tips at 133 points (108 from the matches, 15 from Wrestlers’ final scores, 10 from Ibushi winning A Block).

Of course, if I’m right, I’ve just cost myself 5 places, but I’m concerned this might affect others, too.

Your picks work out to:

Okada - 8
Ibushi - 12
Ospreay - 12
White - 12
Shingo - 8
Suzuki - 10
Taichi - 8
Ishii - 8
Cobb - 6
Yujiro - 6

That's 25 points for getting Ospreay, White, Shingo, Taichi and Ishii :)

e: Did we have to correct your math before the tournament? If so and I switched a result or two around that would change your point spread from what you originally had written down

Rarity fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 17, 2020

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

Your picks work out to:

Okada - 8
Ibushi - 12
Ospreay - 12
White - 12
Shingo - 8
Suzuki - 10
Taichi - 8
Ishii - 8
Cobb - 6
Yujiro - 6

That's 25 points for getting Ospreay, White, Shingo, Taichi and Ishii :)

OK. It turns out I had the wrong tip for the Ospreay vs Ishii match in my table. Thanks for clearing that up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have been crushed by a moonsault of my wrong predictions and this time there is no kicking out.

i am defeated

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, we're almost there! After tonight only two people will be able to win the G1 prediction contest! Who's it gonna be? Well let's start with the results from the final night of B block:

Toru Yano (25%) vs. YOSHI-HASHI (75%)
Juice Robinson (47%) vs. Hirooki Goto (53%)
Zack Sabre Jr. (53%) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (47%)
Tetsuya Naito (45%) vs. KENTA (55%)
SANADA (67%) vs. EVIL (31%)

The final point tallies were as follows:

Hiroshi Tanahashi: 8 points (average prediction 9.39)
Juice Robinson: 8 points (a.p. 7.29)
Toru Yano: 6 points (a.p. 5.94)
Hirooki Goto: 8 points (a.p. 7.57)
YOSHI-HASHI: 4 points (a.p. 4.43)
Tetsuya Naito: 12 points (a.p. 12)
SANADA: 12 points (a.p. 12.1)
Zack Sabre Jr.: 10 points (a.p. 8.29)
KENTA: 10 points (a.p. 11.14)
EVIL: 12 points (a.p. 11.82)

Which means your B block winner is:

1. SANADA (45%)
2. KENTA (16%)
3=. Hiroshi Tanahashi (14%)
3=. EVIL (14%)
5. Tetsuya Naito (7%)
6=. Hirooki Goto (2%)
6=. Juice Robinson (2%)

So the final rankings follow below and there's a brand new leader at the top:

1. 184 points: Rarity

2. 183 points: HidaO-Win

3. 179 points: Karlos4live

4. 175 points: xbilkis

5. 174 points: Thauros

6. 171 points: Dr. Dirt, Power Windows

7. 168 points: Netsky

8. 164 points: Neodoomium, Your Personal Muse

9. 162 points: Aesculus

10. 160 points: chirico curvie, Do not even ask

11. 159 points: Jerusalem

12. 158 points: extradite THIS!

13. 157 points: Carlioo, Chinook

14. 156 points: duckdealer

15. 154 points: LupusAter

16. 153 points: TriffTshngo

17. 150 points: Lid

18. 149 points: Fadmonkey

19. 148 points: Schneider Heim

20. 146 points: Fentry

21. 143 points: I Before E

22. 142 points: Captain Magic, GEORGE W BUSHI, HouseOfLeaves99

23. 141 points: Artelier

24. 140 points: marioinblack

25. 136 points: Eat My Fuc, The Junkyard God, Veryslightlymad

26. 135 points: JOHN CENA, Seams, take the moon

27. 134 points: Accident Underwater

28. 133 points: Thanlis

29. 132 points: Dishonest Resume

30. 131 points: karmicknight

31. 130 points: John Dudebro

32. 129 points: Deathlove

33. 128 points: SatoshiMiwa

34. 125 points: Hellblazer187

35. 124 points: Erainor

36. 123 points: Gaz-L

37. 118 points: SG Bamboo

38. 114 points: ItohRespectArmy

39. 113 points: Gumball Gumption

40. 112 points: Dr. Dirt's random picks

41. 102 points: Rick

So here's where we are. With just 20 points left to play for tomorrow is going to be a head to head clash. In the red corner repping Kota Ibushi will be the despicable, the devious, the downright dirtiest poster in the game, The Crab Win-Hidao. And in the blue corner repping SANADA will be none other than the most ravishing goon in all of wrestling, the Princess of Posting, Your #1 Scoopsgal, RARITY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thank God for A Block or I'd be dead in the water, as it is I'm just horribly bleeding out in a swimming pool full of sharks :thumbsup:

I picked Ibushi to win the whole thing, which I guess means go Hidao-Win!