Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Making progress on reducing but it's going extremely slow. However, I've cut back enough from my previous rate that I'm already seeing some changes.

Baby steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Pro tip. Soda water and bitters. Tastes like a drink and yes I know bitters are like 100 proof but they only put a dash in.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

yeah im doing a dry month

dry rub on my rump roast

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

yeah im doing a dry month

dry rub on my rump roast

nice bro

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Pro tip. Soda water and bitters. Tastes like a drink and yes I know bitters are like 100 proof but they only put a dash in.

Gonna try this. It was also mentioned in the video that CannonFodder posted last page.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Making progress on reducing but it's going extremely slow. However, I've cut back enough from my previous rate that I'm already seeing some changes.

Baby steps.

Baby step are steps forward. Keep it up!

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Working from home during Covid didnt do good things to my drinking habits, so I decided to take a break from alcohol. That was over two and a half years ago and I havent touched a drop since. I dont miss drinking, not one bit. Im happier and healthier without it.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

day 20 - ive lost 15 pounds because i decided to also do a diet on top of not drinking to embrace the miserableness of january. 2000 calories, 20k steps a day through long-rear end walks listening to podcasts. i have a lot of energy and am sleeping better.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm sleeping worse, definitively across the board lol

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

In the last 2-3 weeks I'm suddenly sleeping 8 hours a night a few times a week for the first time in years. I'm not doing dry january, but as I've said I quit buying/drinking beer at home almost a year ago (in the process cutting back to ~2 drinks a week) and my weed intake has fallen way off from my historical consumption as well. I resent the obvious conclusion here but can't deny it

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 23, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Drink actual mineral water

e: Unless you can't take the salt. But not drinkin alcohol should bring blood pressure down anyway at least.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
today is 1 month since I had a drink or a cigarette. definitely the longest I've gone since before college

was very tempted this last weekend :ohdear:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I went to the tiki bar for a friend's benefit she was throwing to support a local women's shelter and didn't drink and hung out and chatted with all my friends and I didn't really feel the need to drink, twas nice

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I unintentionally am 2/3rds of the way through a Dry January. I was thirsting for some brews Friday but that wouldn't have fit my caloric budget so I opted for a brutal workout session and fruit gushers instead.

I took a homie for a pretty easy 2.5 mile hike Sunday and he is desperately out of shape. I realized that I was roughly at that same stage about 2 months ago. Truth is, every work out session is like stacking quarters. You don't really see it start to add up until you compare it with other people and see how far you've come. While he was dying walking up small slopes, I was only slightly out of breath during the hardest parts of it. Fitness isn't a thing you obtain, it's a spectrum of physical capability. Unless you are willing to sacrifice hours and hours of your life every day to the maintenance and improvement of it, you're not going to be a hard body, and honestly in most people's cases, that's flatly not necessary or hell, even obtainable without serious desire for it. But doing nothing is about as feasible as not flossing. Just like not flossing,poo poo gets progressively more expensive as your body parts fail due to lack of usage. You are going to age, that's true, but exercise and diet are the way you can age with some level of grace.

You have to exercise, but you don't have to go to the gym and murder yourself to do it. Raise your heart rate, break a sweat, do thirty minutes every other day and that really is enough by itself. If you want to go harder, go harder, but understand that you may not feel like doing that every day and that's fine.

That's my thoughts thanks for coming to my Tedx

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
tomorrow is possibly my one ski day with my ski buddy for the year and therefore probably the only day this will be difficult at all

deffo getting us a nice 4pack for 2/1 tho

e: my weight is down from 152 to 145 but that's probably got more to do with this being the time of year I am frantically skiing and running maple lines.

I've noticed that I don't feel the subjective, short term effects of alcohol if I don't drink it. Other than that, my sleep, diet, dreams, sexual function, interests in life and other things, basic mood, pooping, pissing, etc is all the same.

Granted I "only" drink 1-2 a day but that's a lot compared to the national median.

Guessing my prescription meds that are basically pharmabooze may be a factor here, though? (Said meds are also what keep me from drinking more, I sure used to!!)

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 23, 2023

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i all but quit drinking back in september op. started climbing and just decided to stop drinking beer. drinking was never really a problem for me but the benefits have been amazing. i was having 1-3 beers daily. feel better and stronger, skin is clear, hair and nails are shiny and healthy, basically never get heartburn now, etc. i dunno how much of that is strictly attributable to cutting out beer and how much is from way increased water intake and physical activity but it's been hella good. took a little while for me to notice the difference

i basically have no desire to drink at all anymore. i brewed beer for like a decade and was always known as a beer guy. i have a keezer in my house and everything. i had 1 beer last month near the start of the month and it did nothing for me. thinking i'm just gonna get rid of all this poo poo tbh

This owns and I am very happy for you

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

3 weeks into sober January : just now getting over a cold I got from poor sleeping (due to weed cessation).

Don't smoke weed every day kids.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wish the pub had sugarless soft drinks.

But then I can just not go in so it's not a huge problem.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I did a whoopsie and got drunk off of like 5 seltzers and smoked a half a pack of cigarettes. All of which I found while cleaning yesterday :eng99:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I did a whoopsie and got drunk off of like 5 seltzers and smoked a half a pack of cigarettes. All of which I found while cleaning yesterday :eng99:

This post will be 🅾️🅱️'s Perry Mason moment

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

That's okay OP, how are you feeling today

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

One week to go

i tried krombacher 0.0 (not good) and some NA elderberry radler (just tasted like fizzy grape juice)

sleep has been similar in amount but probably better quality and my stomach has been happier too. gym has been easier as well

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bagmonkey posted:

That's okay OP, how are you feeling today

horrible hangover, just horrible

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

RIP, I found that smokes upped my hangover factor by like 300. Quitting smoking owned the most, I saw a lot more changes quitting nicotine than I have w/ alcohol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Really leaning into these dust baths lately.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I drink when someone else is paying. I also don't like the extra calories.

So kinda yes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Look in the mirror.

It not me.

Congratution.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I'm going to not smoke any weed in February but I don't know what to call that.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Larry Cum Free posted:

I'm going to not smoke any weed in February but I don't know what to call that.

No sleep February.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm gonna go buck wild Feb 1 00:00, the finest gas station tall boy they got

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know, I'm liking this not drinking thing. I think I'll just keep my drinking to Holidays named after Saints or Revolutions (Patrick, Valentine, Independence Day, Syttende Mai, National Day of the People's Republic of China, etc...)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

feb 3rd is my day. just so happens to be a friday. :clint:

but ive been really digging the NA beers, probably gonna keep on drinking those guys too as it seems to scratch the itch as it were

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I dont think Ive made it 26 days without so much as a drop since before university. But this weekend will be the real test since I have a friends birthday and will try to make it through the night on soda waters

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
full disclosure. heavy drinker, here.

i have very little self-discipline. I'm proud of all you guys marching on through. Just ... How? How do you do it?

You guys keep it up, though, Rockin' in the Free World.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
What is this Dry January nonsense? It doesn't even rhyme. Here in down under land we have Dry July.

It always seems a weird excuse for the executive team to send out company wide emails about their brave struggles to go without for a month. Good initiative of course, but I always find it surprising just how much people must be reliant on the stuff.

I've always enjoyed a drink or two when out and about, but having a partner who doesn't drink and being uncomfortable drinking alone usually leaves me a long time between drinks.

Though strangely, as of the last couple of years, I've noticed that even a single drink of alcohol will start making me incredibly itchy, and having too much will lead me to break out in hives. I've been to doctors and allergenists who all just shrug. That has really put a damper on it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Isometric Bacon posted:

It always seems a weird excuse for the executive team to send out company wide emails about their brave struggles to go without for a month. Good initiative of course, but I always find it surprising just how much people must be reliant on the stuff.

I mean I kind of feel that way too because I haven't had a drink in 12 years because the very first time I ever blacked out was awful enough to swear me off of drinking forever, but also I'm very much the same way with weed and I can't even go 12 hours without getting high or else I get severe stomach pains and start throwing up so, respect :respek: to the goons who are quitting drinking. IMO everyone should quit drinking permanently but as a pack a day smoker who smokes a lot of weed I can't judge anyone.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 27, 2023

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

blight rhino posted:

full disclosure. heavy drinker, here.

i have very little self-discipline. I'm proud of all you guys marching on through. Just ... How? How do you do it?

You guys keep it up, though, Rockin' in the Free World.

I think sort of daily reminders that I'm not drinking TODAY are good. I'm not a proponent of AA but they have some good advice and tools for people who want to sober up.

I get in the gym after work, come home, drink an NA beer and listen to a podcast while making dinner, then smoke some pot and veg out with an NA cocktail. I'm basically tricking my brain and staying busy.

First few nights were a bit fitful and sweaty but nothing I haven't gone through before. I'm 3 weeks no booze now and feel good. I'm gonna start a batch of Ginger beer that will be bottled and ready for when I decide to pick up again in another 2 months or so.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

No dry January but I've been recommitted to the diet that helped me lose 40 pounds 4 years ago and I've already gotten back within my goal weight range, 7 pounds down. I got lax on eating but never stopped working out 4 days a week I need new weights, 25 pounds is pretty close to not cutting it anymore. Being strong and feeling healthy is cool.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Starks posted:

I dont think Ive made it 26 days without so much as a drop since before university. But this weekend will be the real test since I have a friends birthday and will try to make it through the night on soda waters

Soda Water with lime is a great choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
wait wait

dry january isn't simply a "do I get the deets" y/n test?