Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
I adopted two cats earlier this week, I'm really excited to have felines in my household finally! One of them is like 8-9 weeks named Tigger. I was going to get another kitten, but when I was at the humane society this grey cutie adopted me instead. :3: She was there for a whole year ever since she was a small kitten, but now she has a mama to take care of her. Her name was Pixel, and I decided to keep the name for her.

Enough of the text though, I have some pictures! Sadly my camera is MIA so I just have cell pics for you:

Pixel and Tigger

Again!

Naughty Tigger... but I had to snap a picture quick before I took the cord away from him

Tigger's second favorite sleeping spot... his first one is on me :3:

I initially wasn't going to have them together right away, since they hadn't technically met, but they bonded ASAP. Pixel meowed for him the first night they were in my apartment; Tigger already thought she was his new best friend. There's been zero fighting. Pixel still hisses though if he tries to play rough. Tigger hisses at her if he's resting on me and she tries to join in. That's about it.

Shed fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
I thought I'd share pics of my new kitten overlords. Pearla is the grey tux and Sheldon is the lilac point - sister and brother litter-mates and are about 9 weeks old or so.

First, kitten "off" mode:

I call this one "Pearla in repose"

Sheldon doesn't normally look this goofy:

And finally a blurry action shot of WWKWE (World Wide Kitty Wrestling Entertainment)

I need to get my good camera out.. the cell phone pics kinda suck for action shots.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Lipumira posted:

I thought I'd share pics of my new kitten overlords. Pearla is the grey tux and Sheldon is the lilac point - sister and brother litter-mates and are about 9 weeks old or so.

First, kitten "off" mode:

I call this one "Pearla in repose"

Sheldon doesn't normally look this goofy:

And finally a blurry action shot of WWKWE (World Wide Kitty Wrestling Entertainment)

I need to get my good camera out.. the cell phone pics kinda suck for action shots.

:aaa:

I love theittybittykittycommittee.com and was super, super jealous of whoever got both Pearla (whose nose I adore) and Sheldon.

I can't believe it's a goon! I demand more pictures :colbert:

...Please?

Shebrew fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 18, 2011

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Lipumira posted:

I see the bird is missing from the cat toy in the background. I haven't seen my cat's in weeks. He lost his ball and would demand we play fetch with that instead. It just kind of disappeared one day.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

HandsomeBen posted:

I see the bird is missing from the cat toy in the background. I haven't seen my cat's in weeks. He lost his ball and would demand we play fetch with that instead. It just kind of disappeared one day.

It is under your:
A) couch
B) stove
C) fridge

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

Shebrew posted:

:aaa:

I love theittybittykittycommittee.com and was super, super jealous of whoever got both Pearla (whose nose I adore) and Sheldon.

I can't believe it's a goon! I demand more pictures :colbert:

...Please?

Oh god, I've been outed! ;)

I promise to post more pictures.. they are truly awesome and I can't tell you how great Laurie is with her fosters. *I* am the one who won the kitty lottery!

And between Pearla's nose and Sheldon's eyes... there is some serious cuteness happening in my place right now.

And I agree.. cat toys live under the places that you can't really get to. And last approximately 30 seconds from the time the cats GET the toy to the time they gnaw it off the thing it came attached to and lose it. I am sure they put them there for safekeeping or something??

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Thanks for the advice on our lil bleeder the other day! Turns out the vet thinks she either has an infection in her bladder - which can't be the case, her pee has no blood - or that her uterus is nuts because she's not spayed yet. She's been very stressed lately since we got the new cat and this is apparently the likely reason. We're delivering tests today for the vet and probably will get her spayed to fix her bleeding.

Now, for good part - pics!

This is Pepper - the bleeding cat - a week ago. Relaxing on my freezer.

And this is the vaguely unnamed yet named kitten - we're not sure yet. Also on the freezer.

They really love that freezer.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It is under your:
A) couch
B) stove
C) fridge
D) bed
E) area rug

Or in your:

F) closet
G) bed covers
H) shoe
I) backpack left on the floor

Or, in my case, in the murphy-bed closet because they shoved it under the door then spent half an hour prying the door open so that they could get it out.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Esmerelda posted:

D) bed
E) area rug

Or in your:

F) closet
G) bed covers
H) shoe

Or, in my case, in the murphy-bed closet because they shoved it under the door then spent half an hour prying the door open so that they could get it out.

My favorite thing is when cats accidentally-on-purpose get a toy thrown under a doorway just so they can have the fun of trying to get it back out.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I have a question for you guys! Hopefully this is the best place to ask, but I apologize if not.

I have a cat who is terrified of storms. Whenever he hears thunder he runs and hides under a bed until it passes, and won't come out to eat or do anything else until then. He's ~7 years old, and while he's always been skittish (he was a stray who just walked up to the house one day), he seems to be getting more scared of storms as he gets older. The biggest problem with this is that he lives with my parents in Florida, where there are thunder storms every day for about half the year, which means he spends a lot of time hiding. Is there anything I/my parents can do to lessen his anxiety?

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Esmerelda posted:

D) bed
E) area rug

Or in your:

F) closet
G) bed covers
H) shoe

J) Laundry basket. My small kitten has an obsession with it.

micnato
May 3, 2006
It has come to my attention that my kitty probably has fleas. I've never seen one on her, but I see her scratching her head, ears, or neck sometimes (it's not constant, maybe once or twice a day on average). But the real proof came when I was dusting the cheeto crumbs and neckbeard whiskers off my computer desk though: I saw a bunch of little black specks that looked distinctly like poop from a very tiny creature. Upon further cleaning, I find these droppings wherever cat hair collects. This is almost definite proof of fleas, right?

What products can I use? Do I need a prescription flea medicine? I hate taking her to the vet almost as much as I hate going to the doctor, so if anyone can recommend a safe, effective OTC medicine, I would prefer that. If OTC is acceptable, do I need to look for/avoid any specific active ingredients? Or are they all equally good/bad? Thanks.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, I'm pretty sure cat-scratching isn't necessarily a sign of fleas. I've known plenty of cats who enjoyed a good scratch. Maybe it does indicate fleas and I'm wrong and those cats had flea problems? My experience is that you can definitely see fleas jumping around on your cat if s/he has a flea issue. I've even been able to catch them. Not sure about the black specks. Keep an eye out though, and I'd say try and spot a real live flea on your cat before you begin giving her flea medication - it shouldn't be hard at all if they're there.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

kaworu posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure cat-scratching isn't necessarily a sign of fleas. I've known plenty of cats who enjoyed a good scratch. Maybe it does indicate fleas and I'm wrong and those cats had flea problems? My experience is that you can definitely see fleas jumping around on your cat if s/he has a flea issue. I've even been able to catch them. Not sure about the black specks. Keep an eye out though, and I'd say try and spot a real live flea on your cat before you begin giving her flea medication - it shouldn't be hard at all if they're there.

No, the black specks could be flea dirt, and you definitely don't have to see fleas for them to be there.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Cat health question:

I've got an 8 year old male cat, that we took to the vet last week after discovering bloody diarrhea in the litter box. He's had some issues with diarrhea when there are food changes, and is frequently terrible about burying his poop which made noticing it easy.

The vet couldn't find anything medically wrong, they ran the stool sample and it just showed the normal bacteria. He's also a cat with a caution sticker on his sheet though, as he's not always the most patient with handling and I'm not sure he got a through enough abdominal examination.

They sent us away with an 8 day course of Metronidzaole, and a supply of fortiflora. It's a week later, and he seemed to be mostly better, there would be normal poop buried in the litter box. Tonight though, he dropped the most massive mix of hard poop and diarrhea I've ever seen. He also, in what I'm hoping is unrelated, had small abrasions around his "Eyebrows" on both sides with a little bit of blood.

To answer the obvious: He's going back to the vet tomorrow for a followup appointment.

Any thoughts?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Just thought I'd share, my new friend is adjusting well. He isn't sneezing as much as the first day and he spent last night close by instead of in the bathtub.

He greets me when I return home and sit down.

Relaxing to the point that he almost rolled off...

He sticks his tongue out and occasionally drools, usually after cleaning himself, sometimes when I annoy him with the camera.

Mostly he just chills out, on me if I'm available.

I'd have more action shots but every time I'm still enough to take a pic he gets close and tries to sit on me or headbutt me. Edit: Or lick me then turn around plop down.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 19, 2011

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

micnato posted:

It has come to my attention that my kitty probably has fleas. I've never seen one on her, but I see her scratching her head, ears, or neck sometimes (it's not constant, maybe once or twice a day on average). But the real proof came when I was dusting the cheeto crumbs and neckbeard whiskers off my computer desk though: I saw a bunch of little black specks that looked distinctly like poop from a very tiny creature. Upon further cleaning, I find these droppings wherever cat hair collects. This is almost definite proof of fleas, right?

What products can I use? Do I need a prescription flea medicine? I hate taking her to the vet almost as much as I hate going to the doctor, so if anyone can recommend a safe, effective OTC medicine, I would prefer that. If OTC is acceptable, do I need to look for/avoid any specific active ingredients? Or are they all equally good/bad? Thanks.

Yeah, it's pretty likely she has fleas. Next time you notice the little "droppings", spritz them with water -- if they turn rust-colored, it's fleas. That's your cat's blood they're pooping out. Don't just get any old thing, a lot of store-bought flea meds are actually dangerous for your cat. Frontline & Advantage are both great and they can be bought OTC now, or ordered online. Check out the flea thread for more advice.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Steezo posted:

Even with his tongue sticking out, that is one handsome kitty.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
What is a good laser pointer to get to play with my cat? I would prefer something that runs on AAA or AAs instead of coin batteries, but whatever works I suppose. Also, should I be looking for a red or a green beam?

e: I was thinking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Pointer-Classic-Style-Carrying/dp/B000KCL3RW/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

A Curvy Goonette fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 19, 2011

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

kaworu posted:

I'd say try and spot a real live flea on your cat before you begin giving her flea medication - it shouldn't be hard at all if they're there.

Gonna disagree with this. With the exception of animals that have bad reactions to flea medication, it doesn't hurt to start on a preventative flea medication or even give them something like Capstar (which you can only get at the vet anyway) even if you haven't explicitly seen a flea. In fact, it's best to head it off before it becomes a full infestation and your house is completely colonized.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

How important is it to get rid of existing cat smells in the house before bringing home a new cat or cats? We're definitely going to be tossing some things that have been peed on in the past, but I don't want to have to replace cat trees and litter boxes and such. Is a good round of vacuuming the rugs, furniture, and cat tree surfaces going to be good enough? Should I just spritz the whole house with Nature's Miracle?

I've never introduced a cat to a household where there was previously a cat but currently is not. I don't even know if most cats would care that there is a cat smell in the house but no cat.

Current visitor cat is heading home in August, and then we're on vacation for the week around Labor Day. I get the feeling we'll be going to pick out a new friend or two within days of coming back from that trip.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

A Curvy Goonette posted:

What is a good laser pointer to get to play with my cat? I would prefer something that runs on AAA or AAs instead of coin batteries, but whatever works I suppose. Also, should I be looking for a red or a green beam?

e: I was thinking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Pointer-Classic-Style-Carrying/dp/B000KCL3RW/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

FROLICAT

http://www.amazon.com/FroliCat-BOLT-Interactive-Laser-Pet/dp/B0021L8W6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311131486&sr=8-1

edit: I think one of my cats is having a slight vaccine reaction :ohdear: She's favoring her vaccinated leg and being more grumpy than she ever has been after a vet appointment, and lethargic, but not terrifyingly lethargic. She did eat about half of her dinner and some tuna though. I've called and talked with the e-vet receptionist and I'll be keeping a close eye on her for the next few hours.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 20, 2011

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
That promo image makes the laser look searingly unsafe, and reminded me of this, but now for cats!

DJ Sizzle
Jul 24, 2002

ASK ME ABOUT BEING OLD
Fun Shoe
The Frolicat is ok, but my cats get bored after 5 minutes. The will chase a human powered laser forever. It just doesn't dart around fast enough.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

DJ Sizzle posted:

The Frolicat is ok, but my cats get bored after 5 minutes. The will chase a human powered laser forever. It just doesn't dart around fast enough.

:iiam: My cats will chase it for two entire 15 minute cycles.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
So, we have a new cat and her name is Marceline the Vampire Queen. She is just a kitten, though, and we're in the "Introductions" stage with her and our older, bigger cat. So the kitten walks around the apartment exploring while the bigger cat follows. There's very little hissing after their initial meetup, and they seem to be generally wary but okay of the other's presence.

My question is this. The bigger cat will sometimes charge the little kitten, which freaks her the gently caress out, but the big cat doesn't seem to have any ill intent. Sometimes she'll make a little jump at the end of the charge. Previous to this, the older cat has only had dogs and people to play with, both of whom she's gotten along with splendidly. Is this a miscommunication - as in, the big cat wants to play and thinks charging is okay since that's how dogs play with her - or will the big cat eventually try to attack the little?

OH, also, is it okay that during these supervised meetings, they eat each others food / drink each others water / use each others litter?

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 20, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
It sounds like the bigger cat is used to bigger animals to rough house with. Keep an eye on its body language. If there's no hissing/growling, ears are not back and claws arent out if he swats at the kitten, i wouldn't worry

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

2508084 posted:

It sounds like the bigger cat is used to bigger animals to rough house with. Keep an eye on its body language. If there's no hissing/growling, ears are not back and claws arent out if he swats at the kitten, i wouldn't worry

Perhaps. The dog she plays with is her size, if not a bit smaller. But she also plays with me a lot, and I include lots of chasing play so that she'll get some exercise - I'll stomp after her into the bedroom, then she'll turn around and chase me into the living room, etc.

She's started to include swats now. I separate them for a while whenever it gets to that point. It's only the second day, hopefully the hostility will let up and they'll start playing soon. I can tell the little kitten wants to play pretty badly, but the big one is having none of it.

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
My cats eat catnip. What the gently caress?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Astro Cake posted:

My cats eat catnip. What the gently caress?

CALL THE VET RIGHT NOW! OMG!

or don't, it's not a big deal. Some cats eat it, some roll in it, some pack tyte bowls.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 20, 2011

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
They used to roll in it and look silly, but now they just eat it. loving cats.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I didn't realise eating catnip was unusual - Grumples eats the lot!

Speaking of Grumples, sometimes he wants to fight with me and grab my arm and bite me. I don't especially mind, because he doesn't have another cat to roughhouse with - but is it a bad idea for his behaviour?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

marshmallard posted:

Speaking of Grumples, sometimes he wants to fight with me and grab my arm and bite me. I don't especially mind, because he doesn't have another cat to roughhouse with - but is it a bad idea for his behaviour?
Should probably try to replace your arm with a toy so he doesn't do it to a guest who might mind.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 20, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
^^aw fux

marshmallard posted:

I guess it's really up to you but I wouldn't encourage it. The potential problem is him doing it to someone else, who probably really wouldn't appreciate it.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

^^aw fux

I guess it's really up to you but I wouldn't encourage it. The potential problem is him doing it to someone else, who probably really wouldn't appreciate it.
Great minds...

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

marshmallard posted:

Do you live with anyone else? My cat does this with me, but knows not to do it with anyone else, as my live-in girlfriend does not allow it with her. As long as you don't provoke the cat into biting too hard (by grabbing him, allowing him to grapple you for a while, etc), then it shouldn't be too bad, and you can just warn your friends not to start anything with him.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Darth Windu posted:

Do you live with anyone else? My cat does this with me, but knows not to do it with anyone else, as my live-in girlfriend does not allow it with her. As long as you don't provoke the cat into biting too hard (by grabbing him, allowing him to grapple you for a while, etc), then it shouldn't be too bad, and you can just warn your friends not to start anything with him.

Just my boyfriend, who also enjoys scrabbling with the cat.

He's never attacked a guest, but I'll warn people not to fight him just in case.

Is it OK for me to be provoking him a bit though? He bats me with his paw and I gently bat the paw back, he doesn't seem to mind. I don't hurt him or anything.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

marshmallard posted:

Just my boyfriend, who also enjoys scrabbling with the cat.

He's never attacked a guest, but I'll warn people not to fight him just in case.

Is it OK for me to be provoking him a bit though? He bats me with his paw and I gently bat the paw back, he doesn't seem to mind. I don't hurt him or anything.

I'm not an expert or anything, but that seems fine. I've had my cat for about one year doing the same thing, and she is very friendly with everyone. Except the new cat, at least for now.

As I type this Marceline is sitting on my leg, purring happily. I've never seen such a chill kitten, especially one this old - she's 12 weeks according to the rescue people. Not that I'm complaining, Robert was a absolute rear end in a top hat when she was this age.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I've been brushing down Percy with a metal-toothed fur comb and noticed a few white specks mixed in among the undercoat fur. Is this just pet dander or could they be flea eggs? If they are eggs, is it already too late to start him on Advantage or something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I've been brushing down Percy with a metal-toothed fur comb and noticed a few white specks mixed in among the undercoat fur. Is this just pet dander or could they be flea eggs? If they are eggs, is it already too late to start him on Advantage or something similar?

Drip water on them. If they turn rusty, then they are flea droppings. I doubt there would be flea eggs without flea droppings. Advantage does not kill eggs, but it will kill any fleas that emerge for up to a month.