Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

i blame godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
*entire city gets destroyed by rapidly devolving and increasingly chaotic and violent storms* heh, it would be funny to say godzilla did it

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

a song came on with the lyric "blow down a skyscaper" right as i scrolled by this, whoa

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

tater_salad posted:

gently caress your space weather. It's been a goal of mine to see the Aurora forever. Any time it's been in my area i drive out to a nice no lights area and fuckin cloudy.

I go on vacation and space storm happens pictures abound on bookface from my City. Where I am just clouds.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Houston always had a good time getting Memorial Day flooding. Gaia gave a sucker punch with strong winds and tornados this go around

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Just looking back at the radar data, a surging rear flank downdraft (RFD) from a supercell punched right through downtown Houston with (beam height) 110+ mph winds. Doesn't look like a tornadic signature though.

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/lsrmap.html?zoom=8&lat=29.18&lon=-94.9&hr=72&severe=1&winter=1&flooding=1&tropical=1&other=1

https://x.com/rawsalerts/status/1791272465932718163

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

maybe the oil companies at the backbone of texas were wrong

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

they needed that rain to clean all the coal

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Good thing they got that grid issue all sorted before this happened.

....What's that?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SirPablo posted:

Just looking back at the radar data, a surging rear flank downdraft (RFD) from a supercell punched right through downtown Houston with (beam height) 110+ mph winds. Doesn't look like a tornadic signature though.

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/lsrmap.html?zoom=8&lat=29.18&lon=-94.9&hr=72&severe=1&winter=1&flooding=1&tropical=1&other=1

https://x.com/rawsalerts/status/1791272465932718163

there's a decent rundown here: https://spacecityweather.com/houston-what-the-heck-happened-on-thursday/

yeah that'll gently caress poo poo up no matter what you call it.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
https://poweroutage.us/ has a map. it's like downdetector for electricity

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
I’m sure texas has learned from their last few power grid failures and will have service restored in no ti-bahahahhaha I can’t

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Yep, agree with that. I'm guessing NWS Houston will find some brief tornado path as the RFD was wrapping in, but any tornado that was there would have gotten blown out pretty quick.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Red Baron posted:

I’m sure texas has learned from their last few power grid failures and will have service restored in no ti-bahahahhaha I can’t

are you ok

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Hahahahaha [hands you a card explaining my condition] hahahahahahaha [the card just says lol and lmao] ahahahahaha

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hurricane-force thunderstorms. Very cool. I'm glad we have these now.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Oglethorpe posted:

https://poweroutage.us/ has a map. it's like downdetector for electricity

looks like freedom to me

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

texans are brave tough ranchers born in f350 turbo patriot murder edition trucks, they don't need electricity (woke)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

Not like it is a new thing, just rare.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think if we try really hard we can have hundred year events a hundred times a year

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

so uhh realistically how long will it take to get those main transmission towers back up, because it looks real bad lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

I think if we try really hard we can have hundred year events a hundred times a year

Over what size area? A "hundred year event" means a 1% chance any year for a given location. If you broaden out to a state, country, continent, world, you're going to observe a lot more every year. Observation bias is absolutely an issue with historical records when it comes to trends. We've had operational weather satellites for just 50 years, with the quality of early generations pretty much trash by 2000 standards. The network of weather radars in the US has been around for 30 years and has improved itself in resolution during that time. People continue to congregate into increasingly vulnerable locations too, so that will impart a positive trend by itself (easier to observe Bad Things if there are more targets to destroy). It's a complicated situation for sure, I'm glad my research doesn't deal with these issues.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
NWS Houston did find EF1 tornado damage in Cypress, TX (northwest Houston).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

smoobles posted:

Cat 6 Galveston Hurricane 420 Blow It No Power Till 2026

Speaking seriously, though...can't wait for another Derecho to impact the East Coast to get everyone all :ohdear: when extreme weather fucks up their poo poo.

It's been 12 years, we're due.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If a derecho hit your naked rear end you would die

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
We all die. Only some live.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've seen things...

But I've never seen a thundercane

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

smoobles posted:

man I wish

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

smoobles posted:

i lived

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've seen things...

But I've never seen a thundercane

Lightning happens in the eye of a hurricane during rapid intensification. :science:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

can I get this jam played over houston storm footage?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HhOMNrulE&pp=ygUbbWVnYWRldGggZXllIG9mIHRoZSB0b3JuYWRv

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Cat 6 Galveston Hurricane 420 Blow It No Power Till 2026

Wind is a gently caress
I am weatherman

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
There's still calls for a Cat 6 storm category. Because everything is absolutely fine with the weather at the moment and there is no cause for alarm.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

rock me like a thundercane

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

There's still calls for a Cat 6 storm category. Because everything is absolutely fine with the weather at the moment and there is no cause for alarm.

Why, cat5 is going to obliterate everything as it is. What does having another higher category do besides juice ratings (and maybe have unintended consequence that people take cat5 less seriously)?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SirPablo posted:

Why, cat5 is going to obliterate everything as it is. What does having another higher category do besides juice ratings (and maybe have unintended consequence that people take cat5 less seriously)?
I don't get it either. Cat 5 is 'complete structural failure'.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cat 7 obliterates you on a molecular level

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

cat 8 strips electrons from lighter elements
cat 9 induces nuclear fusion
cat 10 causes gamma ray bursts

stringless