Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah yes, I remember now. So both turns were equally abrupt (albeit still understandable) then

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Both Ashoka and Barris are adolescents who, like normal teenagers, are struggling with emotions and such. Add on the extra restrictive Jedi teachings about emotion and it's pretty clear why/how Barris would have a violent, poorly thought out plan.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm disappointed that Tales of the Empire wasn't about the Empire

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sash! posted:

I'm disappointed that Tales of the Empire wasn't about the Empire

Yeah, like I said it probably should have been called Tales of the Dark Side or something like that as the Empire had very little to do with the overall proceedings

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

swickles posted:

Both Ashoka and Barris are adolescents who, like normal teenagers, are struggling with emotions and such. Add on the extra restrictive Jedi teachings about emotion and it's pretty clear why/how Barris would have a violent, poorly thought out plan.

That's no excuse, Luke was a teenage terrorist and he succeeded in blowing something up real good

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, like I said it probably should have been called Tales of the Dark Side or something like that as the Empire had very little to do with the overall proceedings

Probably would have concerns with that particular title, due to similarity with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Darkside

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

Probably would have concerns with that particular title, due to similarity with:

Ah, didn’t know that existed (Tales of the Sith probably wouldn’t have worked either since neither character was technically part of it)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sounds like you have some classic anthology horror to catch up on. The movie is especially fantastic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How about Tales of da bad guys

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

One of the stories was about how a nightsister got involved with imperial remnants, the other is about how a jedi turned into an inquisitor for the empire. There was enough empire involvement for a tales of the jedi follow up.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tales of the Bogans

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

I really don't think that would have mattered. First off, movies and TV shows are named the same thing all the time. Marvel didn't exactly shy away from calling their massive team up movie The Avengers because of the 1998 movie version of the 60's British TV show (though I know they added a subtitle in England). There were two movies called Crash, two movies called Heat, two movies called Twilight, etc. All unrelated.

Second, if they were worried about naming confusion, well, they hosed up.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 8, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tales from the Empire the book has a Bounty Hunter on the cover instead of someone from the Empire. I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

For real though, Tales from the Empire is just a cool sounding title. Also, it's safe to assume if this keeps going it lets them explore more Empire connected or at least Empire adjacent tales.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AndyElusive posted:

Tales from the Empire the book has a Bounty Hunter on the cover instead of someone from the Empire. I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

For real though, Tales from the Empire is just a cool sounding title. Also, it's safe to assume if this keeps going it lets them explore more Empire connected or at least Empire adjacent tales.

About that Bounty Hunter on the cover, turns out it was actually Thrawn posing as a Bounty Hunter named Jodo Kast (who himself was using the Mando armor to trade on Boba's more famous appearance), so it ended up being Empire related. Thrawn's success on the mission convinces Vader to give him access to the Noghri.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

About that Bounty Hunter on the cover, turns out it was actually Thrawn posing as a Bounty Hunter named Jodo Kast (who himself was using the Mando armor to trade on Boba's more famous appearance), so it ended up being Empire related. Thrawn's success on the mission convinces Vader to give him access to the Noghri.

And General Veers turns up, who kicks enough rear end to catch Thrawn's eye, who in turn tells Vader "you're looking for a new guy to run your armored assaults, that's your dude."

It has been decades, but wasn't the story pretty much someone trying to break a smuggling ring, but if that happens the Alliance won't be lead into an ambush, so the Empire is helping the smugglers evade... The Empire, so that the smugglers can make the weapons drop and wipe out everyone?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sash! posted:

And General Veers turns up, who kicks enough rear end to catch Thrawn's eye, who in turn tells Vader "you're looking for a new guy to run your armored assaults, that's your dude."

It has been decades, but wasn't the story pretty much someone trying to break a smuggling ring, but if that happens the Alliance won't be lead into an ambush, so the Empire is helping the smugglers evade... The Empire, so that the smugglers can make the weapons drop and wipe out everyone?

That much I don't remember. I just remember it was a 4 part joint "short" story between Zahn and Stackpole, so of course their favorite characters had to show up, Thrawn and Corran Horn.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

That much I don't remember. I just remember it was a 4 part joint "short" story between Zahn and Stackpole, so of course their favorite characters had to show up, Thrawn and Corran Horn.

But do they kiss

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do any reactors melt down

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Lmao star wars is so fuckin dumb

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I found Tales 1 to be different mini stories but this was just 2 stories split up into 3 parts each. Doesn't make any sense - they could have just put them out as shorts and fans would have watched them no matter what.

Tales of the Empire could have been about like some Tie pilots or guys on Hoth or just about any of the grunt work. Wasted premise. And the only good episode was the 6th with Bariss which could stand on it's own.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I found Tales 1 to be different mini stories but this was just 2 stories split up into 3 parts each. Doesn't make any sense - they could have just put them out as shorts and fans would have watched them no matter what.

Tales of the Empire could have been about like some Tie pilots or guys on Hoth or just about any of the grunt work. Wasted premise. And the only good episode was the 6th with Bariss which could stand on it's own.

The Dooku parts seemed to have some thread of continuity between them at least though but the Ahsoka ones did not (instead focusing on her life before, during, and after her time with the Jedi order)

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Vintersorg posted:

I thought about this too

I think both involve such large time jumps that it does work better as three episodes. In one, it may feel more like something is missing.

It does still feel like the creatives subverting a studio edict though

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I find it kind of interesting that there seems to be a somewhat common expectation that the second series of Tales of the Jedi was to be about non-force users. I guess it just speaks to the general fatigue of force stuff in star wars. I thought it was pretty obvious it was going to be about red sabres. Maybe the next one will be about yellow sabres, but it's definitely still going to be about force users. :shrug:

But I would love lucasfilm animation doing a sort of series where each episode is a different short story focused on a random grunt in the clone/trade/rebel/empire armies. Clone Wars kind of dabbles in this, but it's a bit different with how it's drawn out there. Call it Battlelogs or something.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All this reminds me of Love Death and Robots. The first season was incredible, just totally wild.

Every seasons since then has trended ever further towards the mediocre.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All this reminds me of Love Death and Robots. The first season was incredible, just totally wild.

You're not wrong, but the one with the giant murder crab was pretty good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tales is just Filonis way of cramming more story stuff into characters he personally likes.

Also all of LD&R rules.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

The Dooku parts seemed to have some thread of continuity between them at least though but the Ahsoka ones did not (instead focusing on her life before, during, and after her time with the Jedi order)

The first two Dooku stories hit too many of the same plot beats. Neither of them are bad in their own right but for a three episode set they should not have doubled up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All this reminds me of Love Death and Robots. The first season was incredible, just totally wild shockingly misogynistic.

It started off bad, stayed bad, and then I turned it off after they turned the fox spirit into literally a sexual object. I feel bad that I watched that much.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/star-wars-sigourney-weaver-mandalorian-and-grogu-1235896490/

Sigourney is looking to join the mandalorian

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Azhais posted:

Sigourney is looking to join the mandalorian

:getin:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Once they dropped making 75% of the shorts horny, it really dropped in quality.

If they did a tales of the Empire 2, they should show Gideon and exactly what happened on Mandalore.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I’d still like to know what was up with Hemlock’s hand since we’re talking hypothetical background shorts, aside from an oblique Dr Strangelove reference

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sanschel posted:

I’d still like to know what was up with Hemlock’s hand since we’re talking hypothetical background shorts, aside from an oblique Dr Strangelove reference

My own theory is that he's a clone, and suffering from the same kind of degradation Palpatine was in TROS, hence his work and interest on cloning and Project Necromancer as a whole

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
He had Adam grafted to his hand

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1789658277984555038

Lmao

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Holy loving :lol:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ohhhh noooooooooooooooo

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
What gets me is the moment between Andor and Maarva is one of the sweetest of the entire franchise... and then they had to keep digging

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: All bad moms except maybe Jyn? We barely know the mom though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
No Padmé? I guess Disney thinks you don't count as a mom if you die in childbirth.