Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I think 4 months might be a tad too young for sleep training. I think that’s when we tried for the first time and it was a miserable failure, but he was ready at 5.5 months. Every baby is different of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We are hittin that 4 month sleep regression hard. Time to do some sleep training, but we don’t want to start next week since I’m away for work, and then we are going to visit the in-laws so looks like we are just going to put up with crappy sleep and a lot of insistence on contact for the next two weeks :negative:

Any good sleep training tips?

4 months might be too young, is your baby capable of sleeping through the night? if not then you cant sleep train.

we did modified ferber (first night wait one minute before going in to check, then 3, then 5, then 15, then 30, then never) and my only advice is: harden your heart.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Echoing the last two posters that we used Ferber at 6 months and it worked well. Feeding them the baby cereal at night really helped.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ive had multiple friends start at 3 months which got an eyebrow raise from me but I guess it worked out for them. Sleep training tips are hard because babies are so different but for both of my kids, the 2-3-5 minute check ins only prolonged the misery so we basically went full extinction for an hour before feeding them and trying again.

I think the most important thing is really to have a plan that both parents agree on and stick to it. The hardcore parent should lead the way so theres less chance of loving up the routine because someone cant handle the crying. Sleep training success is more about the parents than the kids imo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
He sleeps through the night with the exception of one feed with some regularity (~50%) of the time until his recent regression. Pediatrician seems to think we're good to go, he's got enough mass to sustain himself overnight. It's good to know we aren't missing anything other than some stress by waiting another couple weeks.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He sleeps through the night with the exception of one feed with some regularity (~50%) of the time until his recent regression. Pediatrician seems to think we're good to go, he's got enough mass to sustain himself overnight. It's good to know we aren't missing anything other than some stress by waiting another couple weeks.

Were at the one week mark with our 5 month old and hes slept through the night every single night even though prior to sleep training he’d have one bottle a night. Sometimes those extra night feeds might have been fake hunger because they needed the help getting back to sleep.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nachos posted:

Were at the one week mark with our 5 month old and hes slept through the night every single night even though prior to sleep training he’d have one bottle a night. Sometimes those extra night feeds might have been fake hunger because they needed the help getting back to sleep.

I do suspect that is somewhat the case with him because he eats dinner before bed very consistently (within ~20 minute window, always the same quantity from a bottle so we know exactly what he's getting) and his overnight feed is all over the map in terms of timing. We are a little concerned because he's a long lean baby and while he's been gaining on his weight curve I want to make sure he doesn't fall off it, but the pediatrician assured us that he'll just eat more during the day, which makes sense.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son friggin sucks at hide and seek.

Attempted hiding spaces so far:

Under a blanket in the middle of the floor.
Behind a curtain he'd just found me behind.
Half under a table.
Under that blanket, again, on a different part of the floor.
Under the comforter on an otherwise neatly-made bed.
Inside a closet he asked me to open for him.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Brawnfire posted:

Half under a table.

My kids will hide in one of three spots every single time. 80% of the time they will jump out and scream “I’M RIGHT HERE!!!!!” If I take more than five seconds to “find” them.

It’s petty cute, tbh.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love the running out and announcing "you found me!!" thing. Like... no I didn't dude. But I do win.

It was also hilarious to duck behind a half-open shower curtain and somehow not be found until I revealed myself. Dude thought I was downstairs even while I was verbally saying "I'm in here! Follow my voice!"

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My son was bad, and then got alarmingly good around age 3.5. We lost him in the house once. The nanny lost him three or four times. He would wedge himself into the smallest, darkest places and then just sit there quietly for ~15 minutes! Like he would put himself into a tiny box and then close the lid and then just be quiet!

His #1 favorite thing was bursting out and yelling SURPRISE when he could detect us getting a little frantic about where the toddler was. I don’t know how he could not be afraid of hiding in a box or dark closet, but somehow insist he was afraid of the dark at bedtime with a nightlight in his room :colbert:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Newborn baby had his 2 week checkup today.

He gained an entire pound! He came out weighing a mere 5lbs so that’s 20% of his body weight in two weeks.

I knew we had been feeding him like crazy and that he was filling out but man that’s reassuring. He went from IUGR + 3 weeks early + falling off the bottom of the growth curve to 50th percentile.

At 6lbs he’s still tiny, but not quite as terrifyingly tiny. And now he actually has butt cheeks.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Brawnfire posted:

Half under a table.

sometimes when we play hide and seek my son wants me to tell him where to hide, or wants to show me lol.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

sometimes when we play hide and seek my son wants me to tell him where to hide, or wants to show me lol.

My daughter just tells us where to hide, then counts, rattles off a bunch of places we aren’t, and decides when it’s time to find us. I didn’t know a 4 year old could be so type A

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My daughter tried hiding in our fridge

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

space uncle posted:

Newborn baby had his 2 week checkup today.

He gained an entire pound! He came out weighing a mere 5lbs so that’s 20% of his body weight in two weeks.

I knew we had been feeding him like crazy and that he was filling out but man that’s reassuring. He went from IUGR + 3 weeks early + falling off the bottom of the growth curve to 50th percentile.

At 6lbs he’s still tiny, but not quite as terrifyingly tiny. And now he actually has butt cheeks.

Oh man that's good to hear about the weight gain.

Our almost 7 month old was born 5 pounds and change and now he's a grand total of...just short of 13.

Pediatrician is not happy about it. I can't help it though, he never wants to eat. We throw so much formula away because he never finishes his bottles and will often just randomly skip them during the day

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
About to be 3 year old grabbed my hand, took me to the fridge, opened the door, took out the egg carton, made me hold it, grabbed two eggs and put them on the pan we had on the stove, before taking the carton to put it back.

She ended with a little dance and clap when I said I'd cook her the eggs. So adorable all around.

It's also a relief because even though she doesn't talk, she does seem to know what's going on.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Renegret posted:

Oh man that's good to hear about the weight gain.

Our almost 7 month old was born 5 pounds and change and now he's a grand total of...just short of 13.

Pediatrician is not happy about it. I can't help it though, he never wants to eat. We throw so much formula away because he never finishes his bottles and will often just randomly skip them during the day

That seems fine? I thought they were supposed to double their weight by 6 months and triple it in a year. Our daughter was 5 lbs and ended the first year at 17.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

In a few months, my family is going to be flying from CA to the east coast and will be away from home for 3 weeks. The first week will be us in a hotel then we’ll be at my MIL’s place. My son will be 2.5 years old. Treat me like an idiot and tell me what I need to bring. I’ve come up with some sort of tablet for the 6+ hour flight and maybe a pack and play to serve as a crib? I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed since we’re all going to be involved with the wedding party for 1 of the weddings and my husband will be a groomsman for the other.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Dazerbeams posted:

In a few months, my family is going to be flying from CA to the east coast and will be away from home for 3 weeks. The first week will be us in a hotel then we’ll be at my MIL’s place. My son will be 2.5 years old. Treat me like an idiot and tell me what I need to bring. I’ve come up with some sort of tablet for the 6+ hour flight and maybe a pack and play to serve as a crib? I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed since we’re all going to be involved with the wedding party for 1 of the weddings and my husband will be a groomsman for the other.

Lots of snacks for the flight, tablet is a good idea. Make sure to check all the stupid downloads right before you leave, most of the apps make you phone home to watch your poo poo offline in the plane. Can also buy some cheapo trucks or toys or gadgets from the dollar store to keep him busy on the plane.

White noise machine is nice if your vacation place is louder/different from your current place. Blackout curtains too if kid is sensitive to light. Does he sleep well in pack and play? We ended up buying a supplementary little foam mattress that fits in the pack and play because the default pad is pretty uncomfortable for 3 straight weeks of sleeping.

Umbrella stroller packs up really easily and if the plane cargo hold mulches it then oh well.

Super light cheapo car seat that fits on the plane unless you want to rent one with rental car or someone can pick you up with one. If you don’t go with car seat on plane- try training kiddo with normal seat belt. My kid threw a big tantrum at that age about wearing a normal plane lap seatbelt.

At 2.5 not sure if he’s fully potty trained but I liked to bring plastic garbage bags or dog poop bags on the flight if you gotta do a diaper change in the tiny bathroom.

In your checked bag bring all of your kid medication with the assumption that he will get some kind of kid flu/cold 1 week into the trip. That way you don’t have to buy duplicate Tylenol/benadryl/cough syrup/mucinex or whatever you usually use. We didn’t do this and now we have two full sets of kid medication.

Full outfit change to the airport assuming he will completely wreck it somehow.

We brought an inflatable bathtub because one place didn’t have one, but if you got a normal tub then you’re fine.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our kid’s weight just plateaued between the 12 month and 15 month checkup. Still on the charts so the pediatrician gave it a “fine” rating but wasn’t jazzed about it.

I don’t think there’s anything we can do. This kid eats everything all the time but learned to walk at 12 months and doesn’t stop unless it’s meal time or bedtime. Even snacking is spent doing laps around the house getting crumbs everywhere.

We’re starting to see more interest in books and sitting still playing with toys, so maybe between that and introducing full dairy we’ll see weight gain by the 18 month checkup.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

space uncle posted:

In your checked bag bring all of your kid medication with the assumption that he will get some kind of kid flu/cold 1 week into the trip. That way you don’t have to buy duplicate Tylenol/benadryl/cough syrup/mucinex or whatever you usually use. We didn’t do this and now we have two full sets of kid medication

24 hours from getting on a plane to Hawaii and the nanny texts to report a 101.3 fever.

Oh boy.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

In addition to this, do some of these things at home, like spending a night in their travel bed in their room, if you have time. It can help to normalize it for them and gives you a practice run in a lower pressure environment.

Has anyone tried the rental gear route? As ours gets bigger, the gear gets bigger and I'm having a harder time schlepping it all to the airport.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 16, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"I wish I had a toy fire truck." :smith:

Are you... Are you loving with me? Is this a sick joke? You must be cognizant of how many toy firetrucks you've got.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Democratic Pirate posted:

Our kid’s weight just plateaued between the 12 month and 15 month checkup. Still on the charts so the pediatrician gave it a “fine” rating but wasn’t jazzed about it.

I don’t think there’s anything we can do. This kid eats everything all the time but learned to walk at 12 months and doesn’t stop unless it’s meal time or bedtime. Even snacking is spent doing laps around the house getting crumbs everywhere.

We’re starting to see more interest in books and sitting still playing with toys, so maybe between that and introducing full dairy we’ll see weight gain by the 18 month checkup.

We had the exact same thing happen with our daughter. Our pediatrician wasn’t too worried though. I’m just focusing on making sure she gets a variety of food.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nachos posted:

That seems fine? I thought they were supposed to double their weight by 6 months and triple it in a year. Our daughter was 5 lbs and ended the first year at 17.

It's because he was already 1st percentile for height and weight, and now he's fallen behind the weight curve pretty significantly. He's only put on less than a pound since March. In the past two weeks he's only gone up one ounce.

Normally I don't care very much about the curve, but I do care that he's tiny and not really gaining.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

hannibal posted:

We had the exact same thing happen with our daughter. Our pediatrician wasn’t too worried though. I’m just focusing on making sure she gets a variety of food.

Such as peanut butter sandwiches, peanut butter crackers, and peanut butter bananas?

Jk, my little angel's favorite food is broccoli. But she does love her some PB

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CloFan posted:

Such as peanut butter sandwiches, peanut butter crackers, and peanut butter bananas?

At one point I did an analysis of the most energy-dense foods you could take backpacking and peanut butter pretty much tops the list, especially when you consider how cheap it is, so I'm always happy to see my son eating it (we do get the no sugar added kind).

Flour tortillas were also up there, so little peanut butter tortilla rolls seem like a pretty solid choice if your kid is on the lighter side.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not tortillas, but I seem to recall eating an alarming number of rice cakes smeared with PB

I don't recall tortillas being super popular near the Canadian border in the 80s

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Are you... Are you loving with me? Is this a sick joke? You must be cognizant of how many toy firetrucks you've got.

How many are in their possession right this second though????

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

My kid kept asking for fire trucks and garbage trucks and school buses over and over again. He reached a critical mass where he didn’t even play with them he just parked them in neat rows and said “look! A parking lot!”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My nephew's like that. Huge bin of cars, all he does with them is divide them into piles based on type. Construction vehicles, here. Fire vehicles, here. Airplanes and helicopters, here.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

CloFan posted:

As a break from red sauce spaghetti, which my daughter would eat morning noon and night, sometimes I’ll make peanut noodles. You’d never think it, but broccoli and peanut sauce is a fantastic combo, which my kiddo also loves.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CloFan posted:

my son is 95% PB&J and chicken nuggets, although we have slightly diversified in some tonkatsu and fish sticks are sometimes acceptable

if I could ever get him to eat broccoli I would cry

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

re: sleep training chat, I don't feel like we ever "succeeded" in sleep training our 10 month old. We started him at 4 months because of the extreme misery of him waking up every hour and not wanting to go back to sleep every night, and he started sleeping though the night for the most part in his crib in his own room shortly after that. He does do pretty good with making it though the night every night.

However, except for a few glorious weeks around 6 months, on average five nights a week he screams his heart out for at least ten minutes before passing out. It kills my wife and I and makes us feel like monsters. I know the sleep training is supposed to make you feel like that, but I didn't think it would make you feel like that for almost 6 months straight.

I feel like we provide him with a safe and nice environment, with a nose machine, night light, he's dry and full, and with story time and lots of love before laying him down. We stick to the routine the best we can, and are pretty consistent at this point. He wakes up from his afternoon nap around 4:00 pm and we put him down for bed at 8:00. Does anybody else have this issue? I know there is no solution I just feel like he shouldn't be screaming so much in order to go to sleep.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Finally got a good look at the molar breaking through on my kid. Absolutely brutal.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Alienwarez posted:

re: sleep training chat, I don't feel like we ever "succeeded" in sleep training our 10 month old. We started him at 4 months because of the extreme misery of him waking up every hour and not wanting to go back to sleep every night, and he started sleeping though the night for the most part in his crib in his own room shortly after that. He does do pretty good with making it though the night every night.

However, except for a few glorious weeks around 6 months, on average five nights a week he screams his heart out for at least ten minutes before passing out. It kills my wife and I and makes us feel like monsters. I know the sleep training is supposed to make you feel like that, but I didn't think it would make you feel like that for almost 6 months straight.

I feel like we provide him with a safe and nice environment, with a nose machine, night light, he's dry and full, and with story time and lots of love before laying him down. We stick to the routine the best we can, and are pretty consistent at this point. He wakes up from his afternoon nap around 4:00 pm and we put him down for bed at 8:00. Does anybody else have this issue? I know there is no solution I just feel like he shouldn't be screaming so much in order to go to sleep.

Have you tried an earlier bed time? It might be that he got overtired and as a consequence has a harder time going to sleep.

For reference, our 8 month old baby typically goes to sleep between 6 and 6h30 pm... (all babies are different though)

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
My freak of a daughter hates peanut butter, red sauce, and most fruit. I about jumped with joy the day she said she wanted an orange and she's been eating mandarin oranges for snack almost every day since. We eat mostly vegan/vegetarian so she grew up eating a lot of hummus toast, which is still her favorite food. Heck, she loves hummus and strawberry jelly sandwiches.

I don't know how she doesn't like peanut butter, I was eating dozens of spoonfuls of the stuff while I was breastfeeding.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter is weird about peanut butter. Won't eat a PBJ but will eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich. But holy poo poo, it has to be the barest ghost of a smear of peanut butter, more a suggestion than a topping.

Her favorite sandwich, however... is mayonnaise and mustard on bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I would be sooooo happy if my kid ate spreads with the bread instead of just licking the spread off and tossing the bread away