Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
that explains the paper full of holes in the parking lot which suspiciously just listed different spellings of ‘seeds’ over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
One of the local magpie chicks went missing today, I heard an odd intermittent cawing noise this morning and saw Pancake standing at the top of a nearby cafe's chimney, looking down it with some food in his beak. I went inside and asked the cafe staff if they'd heard any strange noises, they took me to the kitchen where I could hear the chick's cries through the range hood vents (when they turned it on this morning the chick started crying so they immediately turned it off). They couldn't get hold of their handyman to come and rescue it, so I called the local fire brigade office to ask for advice and they sent a crew around immediately. They had the chick out in about 10 minutes, and it was shaky and hungry but still able to fly.

The chick hid in a garden nearby, Freckles flew down to have a look but she had to get back to sitting on her new clutch, so I gave the baby some broken-up meatballs to eat and went on my way. At dinner tonight I saw both parents and both chicks, all perched together on my roof :3:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 17, 2023

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Whew that story had me worried, but it came through with the goods at the end. Gotlag, if you haven't already got some wombaroo mix to supplement the meat you're giving them I strongly recommend getting some, so your magpies will stay strong and healthy!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Glad the little one was rescued so promptly and is alright. Losing a wild animal that you've formed a bond with is its own sort of pain.

I'm still sad about the baby pigeon!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bee posted:

Whew that story had me worried, but it came through with the goods at the end. Gotlag, if you haven't already got some wombaroo mix to supplement the meat you're giving them I strongly recommend getting some, so your magpies will stay strong and healthy!

When I say meatballs I mean these

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Yessss that's the stuff :parrot:

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Hows Pesto doing?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
He's resting most of the time but still taking breaks to eat and clean himself. The vet is pretty happy that his weight hasn't gone down since his last visit.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GotLag posted:

One of the local magpie chicks went missing today, I heard an odd intermittent cawing noise this morning and saw Pancake standing at the top of a nearby cafe's chimney, looking down it with some food in his beak. I went inside and asked the cafe staff if they'd heard any strange noises, they took me to the kitchen where I could hear the chick's cries through the range hood vents (when they turned it on this morning the chick started crying so they immediately turned it off). They couldn't get hold of their handyman to come and rescue it, so I called the local fire brigade office to ask for advice and they sent a crew around immediately. They had the chick out in about 10 minutes, and it was shaky and hungry but still able to fly.

The chick hid in a garden nearby, Freckles flew down to have a look but she had to get back to sitting on her new clutch, so I gave the baby some broken-up meatballs to eat and went on my way. At dinner tonight I saw both parents and both chicks, all perched together on my roof :3:

GotLag you saved their baby!! You were already their friend but now you are also their hero. You are the only person that could have helped them the way you did and they know it. You are such a good bird friend :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

also, grace and alex are perfect. look at both of them :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 18, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

also, grace and alex are perfect. look at both of them :lol:

she’s very happy we’ve tipped back into hoodie season as she will enthusiastically spend an hour rooting around underneath a hood

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Alex looks so serene about it too. "Yup that's her, it's her favorite. pay no mind. I'm very handsome"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Alex looks so serene about it too. "Yup that's her, it's her favorite. pay no mind. I'm very handsome"

he definitely puts up with a lot from her lol. it was late the other day like. 11pm or so, birds have been in bed for hours at this point. we’re lucky enough that my so’s office doesn’t really need to be used at night so they get their own quiet little dark space every night to sleep.

i’m in the bathroom brushing my teeth and i hear a bang. i thought it sounded like a cage sound so i mildly concerned but let it go. then a couple minutes later i heard it again. at that point i turned the light on minimum then opened the door to check on them.

he’s up in the top trying to sleep on a hammock and she’s buried under the paper towels at the bottom of the cage like a little bulldozer; i’m sure she jumped from the top to the bottom and made that sound.

she’s such a little weirdo

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

:kimchi:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pesto occasionally experiences the chicken lifestyle and will zoom around the floor for short bursts.

I even managed to convince Dijon to join us on the floor. PS I need to clean the floor... and everything else. Yeesh. You don't know how gross you really are until you get to floor level.

Besides that he's still a very tired boy.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the doc treating Pesto for? Those swollen eyes make me think he might have chlamydiosis or something, poor little Bub

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

His eyes look swollen because the first round of antibiotics was a fairly big dose for a small birdy. It was a sugary sticky substance and so would stick to his cheek feathers. It bothered him and he rubbed them off... we will have to wait for those feathers to grow back in.

Now he let's me gently soak his cheeks and clean them.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Sweet lil chicken :lovebird:

I think Tux is hitting birdy puberty. He's suddenly gotten very nippy and is doing a lot of those territorial beak taps. Wish me luck and patience while we ride this out, uggghhh.

bee fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 19, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Pesto occasionally experiences the chicken lifestyle and will zoom around the floor for short bursts.

I even managed to convince Dijon to join us on the floor. PS I need to clean the floor... and everything else. Yeesh. You don't know how gross you really are until you get to floor level.

Besides that he's still a very tired boy.

What a sweet little fella. :derptiel:

I'm thrilled he is still doing his thing, even in small bursts.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

His weight has been dropping at an alarming pace. I'm having to intervene now and feed him warm mushy pellets through a syringe.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

His weight has been dropping at an alarming pace. I'm having to intervene now and feed him warm mushy pellets through a syringe.

sigh. my love to you both, regardless of how this turns out.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

GotLag you saved their baby!! You were already their friend but now you are also their hero. You are the only person that could have helped them the way you did and they know it. You are such a good bird friend :kimchi:

Actually, neither parent saw the rescue. Freckles was back on her nest and Pancake had already left to follow the other chick and hopefully keep it out of trouble. The freed chick flew back towards the nest and Freckles was very excited to see it, but I had to leave for an appointment and wasn't able to see Pancake's reaction.

Neither chick turned up for breakfast this morning, nor did Pancake (which is very unusual), so I went out looking and found Pancake in a nearby alleyway watching carefully as both chicks explored and wrestled with each other (and occasionally Pancake as well).

At lunchtime today Pancake sang to summon me outside then called the chicks to get their lunch, but they failed to arrive. Pancake was getting increasingly nervous and eventually took off to look for them, so I followed.
They were asleep next to each other in a tree on the next street over

bee
Dec 17, 2008

A moment of cuteness before the attitude returned

https://youtube.com/shorts/bPwgTNr_AfQ?si=hzyqkYbaVRfDoBTT

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I am so glad he has you to help take care of him. Genuinely, it's wonderful to know such a good bird friend is out there.
------
Yellow had a rough night. I've woke up to a little blood on her perches before, because I've heard her tumble off in the night. The vet told me to expect it, because she also has a tumor on her preen gland which can bleed. He said birds with bad mobility will get scrapes and bleed a little.

Well, it looks like she had a bad one last night. There is significantly more blood, which has dried. But some spattered onto the liner and she is holding her bad leg funny. Once she has settled down, I'll grab her and see what's up.

But I've basically decided this - She is staying with her mate until the end, unless she gets to the point of severe pain and utter inability to move. I've had a parakeet go through constant strokes before, and that's she only bird I ever put to rest.

Yellow and Blue are a pair. On her bad days, Blue is doting on her the whole time. Even if it's hard for me to watch how bad Yellow moves around, even if it's hard to see the blood, I'm not separating them short of something very severe.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Pesto passed away this morning. He started having throes after he appeared to be doing better but...

Yeah. He passed away in my hands.

He is buried under the same tree as Mayo.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I am so sorry.
Fly free and well sweet little green bean boy :love:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

You did very well with your lil man, and he is now reunited with Mayo. They both knew so much love thanks to you.

Please take care of yourself and Dijon and rest during this hard time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’m so sorry. i’ll be thinking of you and your buddies today. i know it’s not much of a salve but i am convinced that they knew so much love and had such a good life, and it was entirely because you were in it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh, I'm so sorry.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Thank you everyone. I knew we all loved each other very much in my flock. The pain is somehow intense and muted. I'm replaying the morning. I'm dizzy but I want you keep my mind focused...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Good night Pesto. You did really well.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
He held on a lot longer than his little body should have let him, and it's because he was loved and comfortable. You did really good by him.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I'm so sorry PM. :( Pesto was an incredible little bird and we're all lucky that we got to see and share his beautiful spirit.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

:smith:

GDI!!!!

loving gently caress that was the worst accidental emote ever, sorry ugh

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 23, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

think you meant unsmith there pal

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

:sympathy:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
He was such a loved little fella, and knew it. You did so right by him, and I'm sending your hugs from my flock in Portland.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm so sorry. You worked hard to give Pesto the best possible care.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's been 9 months since Cleverclogs died, and Mrs Clogs still has not accepted a new mate. Just yesterday I saw her feeding her adult daughter, something I have never seen any other magpie do (every other dominant female responds with indignation to the idea of one of her subordinates getting food) and something she never did before Cleverclogs' death.

I don't know how old Mrs Clogs is but given that magpies can live up to 25 years they could well have been together for a decade or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

mediaphage posted:

think you meant unsmith there pal

Yeah, smith rather. :( touched the wrong drat thing in the app, gently caress

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 23, 2023