Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

Just gonna remind everyone that her first writing gig was PR for the Royal Marines and that's why her Clone Commandos are all British.

Wait, I haven't read those books, how can certain Clones be British? And I don't even mean the whole Earth's England thing. Don't all the clones sound like Jango Fett?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, I haven't read those books, how can certain Clones be British? And I don't even mean the whole Earth's England thing. Don't all the clones sound like Jango Fett?

The Clone Commandos from Republic Commando were modeled on the British Special Air Service. In the game the only clone voiced by Tem Morrison is Boss, the player character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lfcry5-L6M

Supplementary material from both the Republic Commando novels and online sources (from I think Pablo Hidalgo) explained that since the Commandos had a number of different training instructors, they started to develop their own verbal tics and accents over time.

The real life reason that the clones are different is that George was shown initial concept art of all the Commandos wearing the same colorless armor and he suggested to the developers to give everyone different color schemes to individualize them. From there they went further and got different voice actors as well.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 16, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair to Temuera, he's probably referring to the 1st New Zealand Special Air Service Regiment there :v:

thrawn527 posted:

Read them. Any time you see some weird slang that the Clones are using it's not some sci-fi jargon she made up, it's just how the British army actually talk about stuff.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Arc Hammer posted:

The former is Karen Traviss grabbing the podium to recite a lecture that amounts to "hey Halo is pretty hosed up amirite? gently caress that Halsey bitch especially."

I haven't ready any Halo novels, but this sounds like Traviss just transplanted Ko Sai's entire character onto Halsey.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't really blame any of the authors for killing characters because that all came from LucasFilm. The books were so curated and controlled from up top since they were canon that I'm sure even if Zahn wanted to kill Mara Jade they would be opposed to it. Jade was even more special than other EU characters too because they went so far as to have her represented in the Star Wars CCG, before the EU set, and had it be the focus of an issue of Star Wars Insider.

I think they probably killed her off to juice sales. Much like Chewbacca, they needed something to get people to care and make Jacen's fall a big, permanent thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arc Hammer posted:

The Clone Commandos from Republic Commando were modeled on the British Special Air Service. In the game the only clone voiced by Tem Morrison is Boss, the player character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lfcry5-L6M

Supplementary material from both the Republic Commando novels and online sources (from I think Pablo Hidalgo) explained that since the Commandos had a number of different training instructors, they started to develop their own verbal tics and accents over time.

The real life reason that the clones are different is that George was shown initial concept art of all the Commandos wearing the same colorless armor and he suggested to the developers to give everyone different color schemes to individualize them. From there they went further and got different voice actors as well.

Huh, interesting. I guess that makes sense, but TCW managed to have the Clones have their own verbal tics while still sounding mostly the same. Seems like a weird choice.

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair to Temuera, he's probably referring to the 1st New Zealand Special Air Service Regiment there :v:

Read them. Any time you see some weird slang that the Clones are using it's not some sci-fi jargon she made up, it's just how the British army actually talk about stuff.

Ah, gotcha. Phrases and jargon. Okay.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I can't really blame any of the authors for killing characters because that all came from LucasFilm. The books were so curated and controlled from up top since they were canon that I'm sure even if Zahn wanted to kill Mara Jade they would be opposed to it. Jade was even more special than other EU characters too because they went so far as to have her represented in the Star Wars CCG, before the EU set, and had it be the focus of an issue of Star Wars Insider.

I think they probably killed her off to juice sales. Much like Chewbacca, they needed something to get people to care and make Jacen's fall a big, permanent thing.

Killing Chewie absolutely made sense to me. The EU wasn't really doing anything interesting with his character at that point, and it established the Vong as a BIG DEAL at the start of the New Jedi Order. I wasn't reading the books by the time they killed Mara Jade (I bailed near the end of NJO), but the descriptions made it seem like they were just trying to do the same again to make Jacen seem all BIG DEAL EVIL, but with a character that probably still had some gas left in the tank (Mara, I mean). I still think making Jacen evil was dumb, but again, I wasn't reading at that point, so maybe it felt organic? Just didn't seem like where the character I was reading in NJO was heading, I dunno.

Then again, I think I read Jacen was supposed to be the one who dies in NJO instead of Anakin, but Lucas told them to switch them for some reason. So who knows.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

Then again, I think I read Jacen was supposed to be the one who dies in NJO instead of Anakin, but Lucas told them to switch them for some reason. So who knows.

The name was the reason. Since the NJO was concurrent with the prequels being released, Lucas didn’t want Anakin Skywalker and Anakin Solo being mixed up, so Anakin Solo gets killed off instead of Jacen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

Huh, interesting. I guess that makes sense, but TCW managed to have the Clones have their own verbal tics while still sounding mostly the same. Seems like a weird choice.

It's mainly a stylistic choice because they figured it would be dull to listen to Tem the entire time. I love Tem but he really only has the one voice. It also helps for gameplay purposes by giving you different feedback vectors wrt your squad actions. Plus I dont think Scorch and Sev yapping at each other would be as entertaining if it was all the same voice actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6joYBB_C22s

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's funny that Carth Onasi is Scorch. Also for some reason I thought that KOTOR was after Republic Commando.

Regarding Chewie - Salvatore had an interview in 2015 where he talked about how the decision to kill Chewie was something that was decided before he was brought onboard to do Vector Prime (VP originally had a different author who left relatively late in the process), but he hadn't realized at the time that he could have changed it to anyone but Luke if he wanted. Salvatore said that if he had known that at the time, he would have killed Lando instead of Chewie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember watching Starship Troopers Roughnecks as a kid so it was funny coming back to it as an adult and hearing Rino Romano as Johnny Rico after having his KOTOR player character combat barks burned into my brain. And then Raphael Sbarge was another MI trooper in one episode and it felt like a Kotor reunion in my head.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Regarding Chewie - Salvatore had an interview in 2015 where he talked about how the decision to kill Chewie was something that was decided before he was brought onboard to do Vector Prime (VP originally had a different author who left relatively late in the process), but he hadn't realized at the time that he could have changed it to anyone but Luke if he wanted. Salvatore said that if he had known that at the time, he would have killed Lando instead of Chewie.
Lando is so much easier to write for than Chewie though. So he’d just have hosed everyone who came after him. Most of the 90s EU authors struggled with what to do with Chewie and his plots usually kind of suck. For Hand of Thrawn Zahn wisely sidestepped that and another Solo Kids get kidnapped story by sticking them all on Kashyyyk a couple chapters in.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Hilariously, the reason Chewie had to die in the books is the same reason he will live forever in the movies

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I know Zahn was not informed that Mara was being killed off, and he wasn’t happy about it.

Traviss’ writing sucked and her fetishization of Mandalorians (especially at the expense of the Jedi) was weird and off-putting, and her public attitude towards fans and her feuding with Troy Denning, with Aaron Allston caught in the crossfire, and the way she threw a hissy fit and abandoned Star Wars altogether was incredibly repugnant and unprofessional. Killing Mara Jade was just icing on the cake. Also Wookieepedia says the decision came down to Lucasfilm but that it was Traviss’ idea, so I’m putting the blame on her. I have absolutely no desire to read anything else she’s written.

I’m not an enormous Jedi fan, but the way Travis’s continually stomped on them in an effort to prop up her Mandalorians was off-putting. There’s plenty to criticize the Jedi for (and especially Prequel-era Jedi) but the blanked condemnation of them was bizarre.
Her actions (in her writing and publicly) had a knock-on effect of bleeding into the Mandalorian cosplay community where people felt emboldened to poo poo-talk Jedi cosplayers and that’s pretty hosed up. She’s not directly responsible for that, but she absolutely didn’t do anything to mitigate it despite having a platform to do so.

General Battuta posted:

I really don't like this kind of fanthink. This ends up with RA Salvatore getting death threats or authors being harassed into self harm/suicide/giving up their careers.

I was being hyperbolic, and I have no intention of doing anything other than voicing my displeasure on the internet and not reading her work. I think that’s an okay compromise if I don’t like a choice she made with a character I like.

I have plenty of other reasons to dislike her work anyway.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 16, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Zoran posted:

Hilariously, the reason Chewie had to die in the books is the same reason he will live forever in the movies

He was killed off because they had no more interesting stories left to tell about him and was less important than the main three. He'll live forever in movies because they can replace the actor portraying him forever, unlike the other OT characters, but still makes people feel the warm nostalgia fuzzies. I don't follow.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 16, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Killing him gets an audience reaction because everyone loves him. That's why JJ did it too.

Then he walked it back instantly because he's a coward.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

thrawn527 posted:

He was killed off because they had no more interesting stories left to tell about him and was less important than the main three. He'll live forever in movies because they can replace the actor portraying him forever, unlike the other OT characters, but still makes people feel the warm nostalgia fuzzies. I don't follow.

The character is defined by what is essentially sound-effect “dialogue” and physical acting, which are miserable to write—especially if you’re going to give him scenes with other Wookiees—unless you just give up on the whole conceit and write Wookiee dialogue in English Basic. I would suspect that’s a huge reason why there wasn’t much interest in telling more stories with him where he does much of anything more significant than hanging out with Han. But those qualities are what make him endlessly replaceable on-screen.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Killing him gets an audience reaction because everyone loves him. That's why JJ did it too.

Then he walked it back instantly because he's a coward.

I checked out of SW a few years before the Disney Canon Reboot but once it came along, I was pretty much definitively done with SW, barring playing KOTOR 1 and 2 as I got into WRPGs.

But of course, I heard all the hubbub on forums like this. The fact the Sequels had no real plan or direction. Somebody on Reddit said that's not actually true but I'm bringing all this up because actually doing research on all this turned up this interview with Abrams:
https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-trilogy-plan-needed-jj-abrams

quote:

“You just never really know, but having a plan I have learned – in some cases the hard way – is the most critical thing, because otherwise you don’t know what you’re setting up," Abrams said. "You don’t know what to emphasize. Because if you don’t know the inevitable of the story, you’re just as good as your last sequence or effect or joke or whatever, but you want to be leading to something inevitable.”

I also found this really fun interview with Mark on Luke in TLJ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd_jyaFejhg

The Prequels always got poo poo, sure, but I think the people who made them were at least happy with what they did.

Speaking of the Prequels and the SW fandom, though, there are also apparently a segment of fans who now want to insist "the Jedi were arrogant and/or complacent is not the intention of the Prequels, it's just something fans made up." What a confusing world we live in. I don't know where these people came from, but I never encountered them in the 2000s when talking nonstop about SW stuff online. Because "the Jedi suck" was the plain goddamn text of the movies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zoran posted:

The character is defined by what is essentially sound-effect “dialogue” and physical acting, which are miserable to write—especially if you’re going to give him scenes with other Wookiees—unless you just give up on the whole conceit and write Wookiee dialogue in English Basic. I would suspect that’s a huge reason why there wasn’t much interest in telling more stories with him where he does much of anything more significant than hanging out with Han. But those qualities are what make him endlessly replaceable on-screen.
He and Han live in a sky house on Bespin. They’re very happy with the arrangement.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

He and Han live in a sky house on Bespin. They’re very happy with the arrangement.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“Oh this? We were just playing Greasy Space Twister. Don’t worry about it.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Why is Han stabbing himself with an electric carving knife.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Why is Han stabbing himself with an electric carving knife.

Very popular on Corellia. Don't kink shame.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think I read something from you in here talking about liking Carth? Figured you'd really like this,or remember it at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK85sQyE5Ls

I like both characters, but no doubt Carth got the better in this exchange. I played KOTOR 1 and 2 in 2015 after years of hearing Carth hate online. I don't get it, he was very good.

And Canderous was so good, BioWare was just like "let's copy/paste his entire character for our unique IP." I mean, Wrex was hands down thE best character in ME1 so I can't blame them too much, but it's still funny to see him start off as a disillusioned survivor of a destroyed warrior race who is just scraping by as an unhappy thug until the sequel where he returns and starts to lead his people to their glorious revival.

I guess the genophage kind of offers a different, unique aspect to the Krogan, but Wrex is still just Canderous 2.0 in a very unsubtle way.

wrex is better then canderous because he is trying to find a new way to rebuild his people beyond warrior culture to a degree, canderious is just Urdont wreve but smarter, he wants to build up the mandos again and do the same poo poo they did before but this time it will work.

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny that Carth Onasi is Scorch. Also for some reason I thought that KOTOR was after Republic Commando.

gently caress i never knew that and now i can hear it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arc Hammer posted:

It's mainly a stylistic choice because they figured it would be dull to listen to Tem the entire time. I love Tem but he really only has the one voice. It also helps for gameplay purposes by giving you different feedback vectors wrt your squad actions. Plus I dont think Scorch and Sev yapping at each other would be as entertaining if it was all the same voice actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6joYBB_C22s

Rule 17. always make sure they are dead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DavidMann95/status/1211068326933401600?t=e8_KzXW7dvjzHyx8R7k0vg&s=19

Remembering the time that Star Wars said that Chewbacca, the Tarzan-screaming, limb-ripping, stormtrooper-blasting freedom fighter, was apolitical.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidMann95/status/1211068326933401600?t=e8_KzXW7dvjzHyx8R7k0vg&s=19

Remembering the time that Star Wars said that Chewbacca, the Tarzan-screaming, limb-ripping, stormtrooper-blasting freedom fighter, was apolitical.

What a weird comment. I thought at first that they were trying to go for the detached vampire thing. "I've lived centuries, even millennia, it's hard to care about much of anything anymore. The time comes in, the tide goes out, big deal." But no, they just say he's lived a couple hundred years but he will still fight ferociously for everything he believes in.

It's not even necessary. It adds nothing to this little bio. (which is from Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary, by the way)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 17, 2024

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Arc Hammer posted:

I get what they're *trying* to say -- his friends come before any ideology so he's fighting for Han/Leia/Rey, specifically, rather than their causes.

It doesn't really hold up under even a tiny bit of scrutiny though because that leads to one of two conclusions: A) he only makes friends with good causes, which necessarily means he believes in those causes too or B) he'd happily mow down civilians if he just so happened to make friends with a stormtrooper.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think B is kind of what it implies about Wookiee culture in general, based on the other Wookiees we see.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, dunno if this is the right place to ask this, but I've been out of the SW loop for about a decade, as I said earlier.

Who is David Filoni? His opinion on Star Wars seems to matter a great deal to SW fans, and one parody I was just watching said The Clone Wars is the best SW product ever, and Filoni is the second coming of Lucas. Based on that I can assume he makes Clone Wars stuff, but still strange his name is so ubiquitous.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

So, dunno if this is the right place to ask this, but I've been out of the SW loop for about a decade, as I said earlier.

Who is David Filoni? His opinion on Star Wars seems to matter a great deal to SW fans, and one parody I was just watching said The Clone Wars is the best SW product ever, and Filoni is the second coming of Lucas. Based on that I can assume he makes Clone Wars stuff, but still strange his name is so ubiquitous.

He was the showrunner for the animated The Clone Wars series and worked very closely with Lucas on that right up until the sale to Disney, and he has also headed up subsequent animated projects like Rebels before moving into the live-action TV stuff more recently

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

NikkolasKing posted:

Someone else can probably give a better detailed answer than me, but basically he was the main director and producer of The Clone Wars show, worked with George Lucas for all sorts of stuff related to that , created the character Ahsoka Tano, wrote a ton for that show, did all the same stuff for Rebels, then worked heavily with Jon Favreau on The Mandalorian, where he also wrote and directed several episodes (And cameos as an X-wing pilot), and has been involved in all the live action shows other than Andor.

With Clone Wars and Rebels being generally held in high regard, the first season of Mandalorian being a massive success and leading to all sorts of stuff since, he’s played a major role in the non-movie Star Wars works over the last 15~ years, and almost has been a part of most of the stuff that has come out on Disney+.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 17, 2024

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
He's also now officially an exec at Lucasfilm and is basically in charge of creative direction for all Star Wars stuff going forward

e: I guess he's been an executive VP or whatever for a while but the chief creative officer thing was made official the end of last year

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's probably for the better that he's in charge of Star Wars creative direction now given that it was completely rudderless for the first decade of Disney ownership. That said I'm not the biggest fan of his vision for star wars and I'd prefer a broader range of creative heads working on different projects. Star Wars TV has noticeably started to curl in on itself over the years where nearly every show ties back into a Filoni project.

Someone needs to give Kenji Kamiyama the go-ahead to make a full length version of The Ninth Jedi.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 17, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, he's now officially in charge of all Star Wars TV content. If you liked Clone Wars and Rebels, you can thank him. If you don't, you can drat him. He was also largely responsible for Mando, along with Jon Favreau. He also created Bad Batch, but wasn't the show runner, so don't thank or blame him for that. He's also entirely responsible for the show Ahsoka, since that character his is creation.

People tend to love or hate him for most of the Disney TV stuff, and somewhat rightfully so (he didn't have anything to do with Andor, so that's a mark against him). I love him, because I think he "gets it", but he definitely likes playing with his own created characters, like Ahsoka. But he was also being trained by Lucas himself to take over the franchise before Lucas decided to sell it to Disney. Clone Wars seems like Lucas transitioning the whole thing over to Filoni.

edit: Here, this is Filoni in a nutshell.

Star Wars: Duel of the Fates Explanation by Dave Filoni

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 17, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really like the stuff that Filoni does with the Clones (even if I dislike the control chip element) but I hate it anytime the show dips into exploring The Force in greater detail.

I come at it being a fan of the original Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series but I was also disappointed in how TCW kinda stopped being a wide-ranging look at the Clone Wars from multiple perspectives and changed to being a mostly linear storyline about Anakin, Ahsoka and Obi-Wan with occasional asides to Rex and the 501st (which happened to be some of my favourite eps as a result).

Filoni is clearly an animation director, given his background working on Avatar the Last Airbender, and his direction skills are apparent in the CGI stuff, but he's not very good at directing live action. His Mandalorian episodes and Ahsoka are awfully flat and have the same exagerrated movements that work great in animation but super awkward in live action.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 17, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, he's now officially in charge of all Star Wars TV content. If you liked Clone Wars and Rebels, you can thank him. If you don't, you can drat him. He was also largely responsible for Mando, along with Jon Favreau. He also created Bad Batch, but wasn't the show runner, so don't thank or blame him for that. He's also entirely responsible for the show Ahsoka, since that character his is creation.

People tend to love or hate him for most of the Disney TV stuff, and somewhat rightfully so (he didn't have anything to do with Andor, so that's a mark against him). I love him, because I think he "gets it", but he definitely likes playing with his own created characters, like Ahsoka. But he was also being trained by Lucas himself to take over the franchise before Lucas decided to sell it to Disney. Clone Wars seems like Lucas transitioning the whole thing over to Filoni.

edit: Here, this is Filoni in a nutshell.

Star Wars: Duel of the Fates Explanation by Dave Filoni

That video was the first thing I ever saw of him, actually. I found it in a discussion of Anakin's character elsewhere and thought it was pretty great. But I had no idea he was "A Name to Know."

Thanks everyone for the information. He seems alright, even if I've never been big on any SW TV show.

i noticed nobody mentioned Kenobi. Did he have nothing to do with that? I've heard mostly negative things for whatever reason, but I saw clips of the ep with Vader and liked that a lot. I won't lie, I've always been a Prequel and Hayden apologist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

i noticed nobody mentioned Kenobi. Did he have nothing to do with that? I've heard mostly negative things for whatever reason, but I saw clips of the ep with Vader and liked that a lot. I won't lie, I've always been a Prequel and Hayden apologist.

Kenobi is frankly a mess. It was originally supposed to be a spinoff film but after Solo: A Star Wars Story failed at the box office it was retooled into a TV miniseries. Joby Harold was the showrunner who rewrote the original movie script to TV length and Deborah Chow directed. The acting from Ewan McGregor and Hayden is decent but much of the writing, production and cinematography is just Bad with a capital B. It's everything that Disney was trying to get away from when they did away with the old EU canon and then packaged into a TV format it was never intended for.

Filoni didn't have anything to do with it (as far as I can see) but I doubt him being more involved would have saved it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 17, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think Filoni is basically the equivalent of a B grade EU author which is both better than most of the film stuff Disney put out and kinda frustrating that he's the only one doing it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Filoni is too safe and boring, but has his heart in the right place. I'd rather have that than have the franchise slip into Jurassic World arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Arc Hammer posted:

Kenobi is frankly a mess. It was originally supposed to be a spinoff film but after Solo: A Star Wars Story failed at the box office it was retooled into a TV miniseries. Joby Harold was the showrunner who rewrote the original movie script to TV length and Deborah Chow directed. The acting from Ewan McGregor and Hayden is decent but much of the writing, production and cinematography is just Bad with a capital B. It's everything that Disney was trying to get away from when they did away with the old EU canon and then packaged into a TV format it was never intended for.

Filoni didn't have anything to do with it (as far as I can see) but I doubt him being more involved would have saved it.

I think a dedicated fan with a merciless edit could hack Kenobi together into a decent 100-minute movie imo. Keep most of the first episode and most of the last episode, but condense most of the middle third into just the Hidden Path planet and maybe Fortress Inquisitorius. Probably wouldn't even need any new footage