Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rubber Chicken posted:

Was Firestar from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends a mutant? I don't think I've ever seen her anyplace else
Yes, her first comic appearance was in an X-Men book also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestar_(Marvel_Comics_character)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Now in retrospect I wonder how Tony got to the situation room if Magneto sent the world back to the dark ages. I guess something something transistors/arc reactors/etc. It would be funny imagining Cap having to wheel him in on a hand truck or something while Tony occasionally raises an arm and yells about how it's heavy as poo poo in there.

If the rest of the 90s Marvel shows are retroactively in canon with X-Men now, then Stark has a bio-energy reactor developed for use against the Mandarin's anti-technology spell from the final episode of his own series in 1996 that would probably also work during Magneto's global EMP.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Holding the helicopter in place seems a bit beyond peak human, I think. He's not Hulk strong, but well beyond "human" strong.

Goddamnit, I had things to do this morning and now I'm gonna be daydreaming about chris evans holding a helicopter instead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rubber Chicken posted:

Was Firestar from Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends a mutant? I don't think I've ever seen her anyplace else

Yes. Emma Frost set her horse on fire in the comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

Do y'all suppose hit disaster movie Armageddon still comes out in 1998 in the X-Men 97 world, or do you think it gets shelved by the studio after... all that.

Maybe not in 98, but I think it definitely still comes out, since the government's first attempt at stopping an asteroid hurtling to Earth failed dramatically...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rubber Chicken posted:

Yes, although she was basically created for the show as kind of a workaround for not using Johnny Storm, while also getting a female character with some agency on the show. She's basically "what if Mary-Jane was the Human Torch" in that show, and the comics diverged from that almost instantly

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do hope we get to see more X-Men characters that didn't show up much at all in the original series in Season 2. The core group is great but it would be nice for them to add new mutants in, like how Nightcrawler slowly got added to the team

Most of what I know about X-Men is from the 90s cartoon and the movies and I am sitting here pounding my fists on the table demanding we get Colossus as part of the core group

And can someone put Gambit in an X-Men movie and not make him extremely corny? Or is that impossible and he can only come alive as a cartoon

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

thrawn527 posted:

Holding the helicopter in place seems a bit beyond peak human, I think. He's not Hulk strong, but well beyond "human" strong.

live with fruit posted:

He also holds off Thanos for a couple of seconds, and takes a punch in the face from him.

Red posted:

He throws a motorcycle in the MCU films at best, which is a stretch, but still something I guess would be technically possible for a peak human? He was also using his momentum to do it, so that's not as egregious as you might've though.

He's been written pretty consistently as the master strategist/combatant/leader/athlete/etc.

MCU cap jumps out of a plane without a parachute multiple times, cmon

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

live with fruit posted:

He also holds off Thanos for a couple of seconds, and takes a punch in the face from him.

I always liked the theory that Cap was unknowingly overtaking the Gauntlet with his own willpower in that moment. Thanos punched him to end what could have been a costly struggle.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

And can someone put Gambit in an X-Men movie and not make him extremely corny? Or is that impossible and he can only come alive as a cartoon

Why would someone possibly want a non-corny Gambit?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mike N Eich posted:

Most of what I know about X-Men is from the 90s cartoon and the movies and I am sitting here pounding my fists on the table demanding we get Colossus as part of the core group

The best part about Gambit in the animated series is him spouting lines like “this looks like some kind of spooky Mardi Gras”.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

We're going to get Channing Tatum trying to out-Ryan Reynolds Ryan Reynolds as Gambit in Deadpool and Wolverine.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

live with fruit posted:

We're going to get Channing Tatum trying to out-Ryan Reynolds Ryan Reynolds as Gambit in Deadpool and Wolverine.

Its a shame we never got a real live action mid aughts Gambit. Sawyer from Lost would have been perfect. He could still do it, but prolly too old at this point.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I still think Channing Tatum would have done a good job if they let him. He can do fight scenes, he can be funny, he can be a convincing romantic lead, those seem like the boxes you gotta check.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

swickles posted:

Its a shame we never got a real live action mid aughts Gambit. Sawyer from Lost would have been perfect. He could still do it, but prolly too old at this point.

So Wolverine: Origins doesn't count?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

howe_sam posted:

no

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

howe_sam posted:

I put in a qualifier for that reason.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

I still think Channing Tatum would have done a good job if they let him. He can do fight scenes, he can be funny, he can be a convincing romantic lead, those seem like the boxes you gotta check.

But can he do a Cajun accent?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Screw live action. Give the team that made X-Men '97 the budget of an MCU movie and let them make an animated X-Men vs Avengers movie

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

MCU cap jumps out of a plane without a parachute multiple times, cmon

Not to mention that holding a commercial passenger helicopter down is blatantly beyond human capacity. And in The First Avenger, Bucky picks up the shield and gets rocked far harder than Cap does tanking the same explosive rounds from the Nazi they're fighting in the train, for another clear example. They've given more than enough indication that movie Cap is obviously superhuman.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Here's some dumb nerd poo poo that has become extra relevant since its release (a month ago, lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TObLeQ5r5Co

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Silk: Spider Society cancelled

quote:

Since then, Silk, whose green light was script-dependent, has gone through at least three versions, I hear. One of them involved a request for Kang and her writing team to reconfigure the show so it is not hanging so heavily on the central character of Silk, I hear.

How do we create a TV series about Cindy Moon, and then not have her in the show as much as possible? Those swinging sequences are expensive!
:thunk:

Glad it's dead. Sony really can't be trusted with live-action Spider-man characters
(I'm even hesitant of Noir, even if it'll be hilarious regardless just for unhinged Cage)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Infinitum posted:

How do we create a TV series about Cindy Moon, and then not have her in the show as much as possible? Those swinging sequences are expensive!

Glad it's dead. Sony really can't be trusted with live-action Spider-man characters
(I'm even hesitant of Noir, even if it'll be hilarious regardless just for unhinged Cage)

Sounds like it was Amazon that was asking for less Silk in the Silk tv show.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

live with fruit posted:

But can he do a Cajun accent?

I don't trust any actor to do a reasonable Cajun accent. I don't think I've ever heard anyone do a good and/or accurate NOLA accent in a movie.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

EC posted:

I don't trust any actor to do a reasonable Cajun accent. I don't think I've ever heard anyone do a good and/or accurate NOLA accent in a movie.

Michael Jeter?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Infinitum posted:

The only thing that will make Noir work is unhinged Cage. That’s worth it for that alone.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
beast and prof x noping out at the end made me laugh

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I feel like someone could have at least said " reversing the EMP will bring the UN backed, Govt approved *mutant hunting murder bots* back online". I get that Magnus is an extremist and a Bad Guy (TM) but he did not do it for shits and giggles

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sloth Life posted:

I feel like someone could have at least said " reversing the EMP will bring the UN backed, Govt approved *mutant hunting murder bots* back online". I get that Magnus is an extremist and a Bad Guy (TM) but he did not do it for shits and giggles

That's literally what Scott did when he stopped Charles last episode. He said the other team needed more time. There wasn't more time though. Magneto had just been stabbed, potentially fatally, and if he died that was the end of Earth since the magnetic field around Earth had been toasted.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
I always liked Gambit on this team because I felt like he was an underdog punching above his weight for being on a team with Jean Grey, Storm, Rogue, and sometimes Nightcrawler.

abravemoose fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 17, 2024

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Gambit is an omega level mutant who uses his powers to shoot exploding playing cards at people because he's a bayou hick that has neither the training nor the desire to explore his powers fully.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gangringo posted:

Gambit is an omega level mutant who uses his powers to shoot exploding playing cards at people because he's a bayou hick that has neither the training nor the desire to explore his powers fully.

This came up with Bobby Drake a few times where he'd basically been keeping himself back from becoming a proper omega level mutant by being a clown and not applying himself

Setup - Emma Frost basically turned his powers up to 11 a few issues back when she controlled him

Uncanny X-Men (1963) - Issue 318

Vakal
May 11, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Nightcrawler and Gambit are my two favorites so this really helped me with the grief.

Good on Nightcrawler to avoid getting killed by Bastion again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gangringo posted:

Yeah the version of him that was running on all cylinders just turned around and murdered the Phoenix. But when you get to that point the only person you can fight is alternate versions of yourself.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Gangringo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSfpEG3SFc8

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Gambit is like if Magneto, instead of being one with the entire electromagnetic spectrum, was perfectly content to shoot coins at people and go by the name "Moneybags"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He's got nothing to prove. Have you seen his wife? And that loving Manhattan penthouse they live in?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Gambit should just be the X-Men's Michelangelo, but with beignets.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Huh, I didn't catch that Dr Crusher is playing Rachel, usually good at spotting voices. Speaking of voices, it's hilarious how many other characters Jen Hale voiced this series, she certainly put in some work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gangringo posted:

They can't all be omega-level mutants.

Isn't the reality that most mutants in whichever universe just mostly look weird, but have no actual powers?