Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bongo Bill posted:

Jar Jar is a clown, a buffoon, a hapless naif who entertains with slapstick, with his contrast to the composed and capable heroes, with his petty selfishness and low cunning. He learns nothing and is always at the mercy of chance. It's part of a long show business tradition that had all but died out in English language cinema by 1999, and Lucas and Best both approached the role as being a throwback to the age of film that was heavily influenced 19th century stage performance. He speaks a language of parody that is not in contemporary usage (because George Lucas always fills his movies with movie stuff he likes without regard for whether anybody else will get it) and contemporary audiences didn't know what to make of that kind of comic.

Specifically, he's spoofing heroes of the sort that Luke is a straight example of.

Mostly correct except for his personality . I can't think of anything remotely selfish, petty or cunning he does. Quite the opposite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Mostly correct except for his personality . I can't think of anything remotely selfish, petty or cunning he does. Quite the opposite!

It's mostly in regards to snatching food.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

yes. and it's not like his character is starving or anything. He's just stealing because he's a bastard.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think the worst part of it is he doesnt even get away with it!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmL2vnNsNcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wJYwVDsmpo&t=236s

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

George Lucas has a bit of a fascination with the Noble Savage trope (going all the way back to wanting a tribe of Wookiees to be the ones to destroy the Death Star). Episode I is a movie where the villains are capitalist traders protesting taxation, and one of the major characters is bought and sold as property. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Jar Jar stealing food from a vendor is just Lucas trying to illustrate how pure his culture is because he has no idea what commerce even is.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Robot Style posted:

George Lucas has a bit of a fascination with the Noble Savage trope (going all the way back to wanting a tribe of Wookiees to be the ones to destroy the Death Star). Episode I is a movie where the villains are capitalist traders protesting taxation, and one of the major characters is bought and sold as property. It wouldn't be a stretch to think that Jar Jar stealing food from a vendor is just Lucas trying to illustrate how pure his culture is because he has no idea what commerce even is.

That’s how I interpreted it. It just seems that the Gungans don't have a conception of limiting access to subsistence goods as saleable

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the problem is jar jar does the shifty look both ways and sly bugs bunny esq smile before he does it. He knows what he's doing is wrong. The whole film is him not listening and never growing and I know I've already said this and I know someone is going to say "WELL THAT IS THE POINT" but its not narratively satisfying to me!

Im taking Jar Jar as fresh as I can with this experience now watching it as an adult. He really is that bad. If he was lowered down a few octives, didn't speak so weird, and maybe was more clumsy than childish, he'd be more endearing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

He was told not to touch anything in Watto's shop and immediately schemes on touching things! Villain!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i agree!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Watching someone break the rules and disobey, but also do it sloppily, is torture. I forgot to mention in my list of notes from re-watching, but I liked when Qui-gon catches his tongue at dinner. Right after saying "you must have jedi reflexes if you race pods..."

Edit: If GL did base Jar Jar on a toddler that explains a lot of his behavior, but no one likes watching a toddler misbehave lol

Edit2: Things I like about Jar Jar

- That he smashed the president of the gungan's car and was generally such a gently caress up that he got exiled
- When asked how he got here he begins his story with explaining he ate breakfast
- Referred to a story as an "othello"
- Skeptical of the force like Han Solo
- overall I like the way he talked, causes some of his lines to hit

Edit: Ah poo poo I forgot to also mention in my notes, Qui-gon uses the force to knock Jar Jar out in the boat scene! Very hosed up thing to do, Qui-Gon!!!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 8, 2024

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Jar Jar Abrams

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Qui gon and Obi wan are also incredibly bigoted in tpm so jar jar and Anakin exist as a foil to that. Jar jar's support in ep1 is vital to the plot and they treat him like dirt for it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He's a loyal friend and is willing to help out with difficult and dangerous tasks despite the inevitability of ending up completely in over his head. His candor and outsider's perspective are key to saving his world. In-universe he's a hero who went from an exile to a leader, but from the perspective of the audience he's a hapless bumbler whose political career is undoubtedly as farcical as his military career. Clowning is layered.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Pulling up videos is a pain in the rear end on mobile but we see him glance over at the food at that venders cart and he looks both ways before he fuckin steals it. Then gets his rear end rocked. He gets choked out

He keeps snatching the food with his tongue right after everyone eyes him like, wtf. He gets punished for it. His response is anger.

Qui Gon says don’t touch anything in anakin’s shop and the first thing he does is knock poo poo over and start loving with EVERYTHING

Any time qui gon says stay here don’t get into trouble he sticks his tongue out in protest.

He’s just a piece of poo poo. He’s not a child. He’s either a teenage gungan or an adult gungan. Makes sense why they booted his rear end

I got you fam https://youtu.be/NmL2vnNsNcg?si=U1eqPwJPuDT7YvMl

Call me a shifty bastard if you like it don't bother me none but I steal food when I think it's feasible. Gale Weston and old Jimmy Patterson ain't no friends of mine!

https://youtu.be/hdMzeZOZ48Y?si=XSPNJqinxkFGvb8_

He's clearly not very angry, he's just annoyed he has to tell this supposedly wise Jedi that it's rude to touch a Gungan's tongue without consent. That's how they eat!

He is genuinely clumsy yes. Similar to Disney's Goofy I'd say. He is an adult; he was exiled specifically because he stole the boss' sweet ride and crashed it. Like Han Solo, Jarjar Binks' a pretty cool guy and a good friend to have, but no great respecter of property it's true.

Why would he listen to quigon, that guy believes in poodoo like the force lol

DeimosRising posted:

That’s how I interpreted it. It just seems that the Gungans don't have a conception of limiting access to subsistence goods as saleable

Or even better, they do know the concept and rightfully reject it!

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 8, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good friends in Star Wars: fascist proponents and enforcers

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Mods plz change thread title to 'The (character) Assassination of JarJar Binks by the Coward StarWar Fan'

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why does an aquatic species have these weird, stumpy elephant feet.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

god I forgot how bad the "i'm the only human that can do it" read is!

Jar Jar would eat a baby if the mother didn't hang a sign on it that didn't say "crime, sentient creature, not a ham" or wasn't there to enforce said sign

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Robot Style posted:

he certainly doesn't know what a wupiupi is, but i think he'd have an idea that money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

They're terrestrial too, like turtles

Upsidads posted:

god I forgot how bad the "i'm the only human that can do it" read is!

Jar Jar would eat a baby if the mother didn't hang a sign on it that didn't say "crime, sentient creature, not a ham" or wasn't there to enforce said sign

But Anakin is correct to be proud, he is the only human pod racer in Mon espa, if not all jakku!

So what's baby Yoda's excuse?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Jedi meet Jar-Jar on the surface and the Gungans have an entire army that includes massive domesticated animals, they clearly don't spend their entire lives in the water.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ungulateman posted:

he certainly doesn't know what a wupiupi is, but i think he'd have an idea that money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Knowing about currency (as Jar Jar clearly does) does not automatically translate to this specific type of privatization. Jar Jar Binks only sees this food on display in a public square, with no posted signage that I noticed. In Gungan society, that could easily mean “free samples”. And why not? Similar frogs were undoubtedly ubiquitous around the Gungan city.

The only other way to read the scene - and this is a far weaker interpretation, mind - is that Jar Jar considers 7 Wupiupi an absurdly high price for a frog. Like, in his view, he was basically stealing a piece of penny candy. Like, who gives a poo poo? But that doesn’t work very well at all because Wupiupi are implicitly what the people of Tatooine specifically use in place of Republic credits. Jar Jar clearly doesn’t know what a Wupiupi is, as you note, and how would he? Also, it simply ignores performance. Jar Jar doesn’t behave at all as a thief. When the merchant stops him, he pauses and responds, confused.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And why, after all, wouldn't a sea dweller adopt a seefood diet?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Jerkface posted:

Edit: If GL did base Jar Jar on a toddler that explains a lot of his behavior, but no one likes watching a toddler misbehave lol

He might have done this, but he also said that he based Jar-Jar on Goofy, which tracks WAY more accurately.

https://www.vulture.com/2015/08/george-lucas-says-jar-jar-was-based-on-goofy.html

Jar-Jar is just Goofy in live-action. Let chaos reign.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Goofy is a cool single dad. JarJar never scored.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jar Jar constantly fucks and cums raw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Goofy is a cool single dad. JarJar never scored.

There's an episode of the cartoons where he teams up with Mace Windu to kill Darth Maul's mum that suggests otherwise.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He screws darth mauls mom?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I would say due to the success of the OG artifical actor Roger Rabbit being huge, George wanted a hosed up burn victim of Roger

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He screws darth mauls mom?

Of course not, she's a ghost and he's far more into the queen of that planet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still pretty sure the main problem with TPM is that while it's better when you can see what they're trying to do, too much stuff just doesn't land properly in ways that were effortless by comparison in the OT. It's got a lot of throwbacks to old classics at least by Lucas' view, him being a sentimental type, but unfortunately it also manages to have a lot of the problems those things did too, and the reasons why they fell out of favour. Of course, some of it does land and work, that's what Star Wars has always been about.

The thing is about classic cartoon characters is that, much like clowns, they do their very best to appear as random forces of chaos, unpredictable and bound by no law of man, physics or god, but they actually operate (when done right) by very strict rules of behaviour, drama and arc. They are often in fact quite nuanced and complex in practice, even if by the classic rules they typically never really learn or change. This is true in everything from classic Disney and Looney Tunes to Space Jam and Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Roger Rabbit famously more or less spells out the formula and plays with how that interacts with human characters who are nominally less bound to dramatic convention. (But of course, are in their own way, and it's shown the rules can be and almost always are broken when the subversion IS the convention) And why cartoons feel 'off' and unsatisfying when in the hands of writers who don't understand that, because they're not following the rules properly and things are untethered, there isn't the proper setup and payoff.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Upsidads posted:

The Grogu gambit

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Goofy is a cool single dad.

Only to Max, his second son. Poor George, nobody remembers him.

What keep happening to Goofy's wives??

Bongo Bill posted:

And why, after all, wouldn't a sea dweller adopt a seefood diet?

Lol booooo

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 8, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Change the thread title to Jar Jar Binks is a bastard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vim Fuego posted:

The Grogu gambit

Now I realise Grogu is basically Jar Jar Binks done right.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grogu performed unauthorized abortion

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're not even remotely alike!

CelticPredator posted:

Change the thread title to Jar Jar Binks is a bastard

In order to make that happen you'd probably have to give an actual example of him being bastardly

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is the worst post I have ever seen in a Star Wars thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jar Jar is a fuckin bastard gungan who should’ve been finished off by sebolba