Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

cruft posted:

Yup.

Not bad on the highway, though, provided the speed limit isn't 65.

I don't know, at one point on a back country road it picked out a 65 from somewhere and gleefully started accelerating past 60 (posted limit was 45). And then a bit later, on a different back country road it caught a 5 from some equally unknowable source, but at least because I had already overridden the speed with the dial at that point didn't slow to 5 MPH (no posted limit, but assume its 35).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Twerk from Home posted:

How fast will FSD go? Does it go a certain ratio over the speed limit, a fixed offset over the limit, or try and match traffic if there is any?

I'm just wondering if it's dumb enough to merge into I-255 and try and go Autobahn speeds, or how it handles things like the 85mph limits outside Austin.

The people mentioning that it's slow to adjust to big speed limit changes make me wonder how you aren't getting nailed by speed traps all the time, I've driven through so many small towns where the abrupt drop from 65 or 70mph to 35mph means everyone who isn't under 40mph is getting a ticket.

Edit: the other part of this equation is efficiency too, it burns a ton more energy to drive 85mph over 70mph.

FSD and speed traps? I’m glad you asked!

So Thursday I went up to Cedar Point, I live in central Ohio and the park is up north-northwest of me. It’s an annoying drive because it’s 2.5 hours of country roads and speed trap towns. Driving to Kings Island, our southern park is so much easier, it’s I-71 the entire way and boom you’re there. The past couple years since I got my Model 3 it was easy enough. Autopilot keeps me going, I manually adjust the speed limit down when I come to a town or disengage entirely if it requires navigating through the town. Makes a dumb drive pretty simple

The day before, I got the FSD beta. Decided hey, this is a perfect chance to see if it’s as poo poo as everyone thinks or if it surprises me. Off the bat it didn’t impress me since it handles stop signs so loving awful. It creeps up to like a car length before the sign, I know very well it can’t see poo poo, stops, then jerks forward and launches when nothing is coming. It does this at stops lights too and I hate it. I have the profile set to chill and get still, I’m riding a drat coaster before I get to the park. Anyways, speed traps. It sees the sign. It even changes the speed limit before the sign. And yet, it decides to go 1mph slower every few seconds instead of you know, braking or coasting beforehand. So every single town I’m having to manually adjust the speed beforehand and half the time it still decides to barely lose speed. So I just ended up disengaging entirely when I hit a town and then re-engaging once I’d slowed down. And then disengaging because it looked like it’d curb itself.

Back to Autopilot which is amazing, I guess

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Couple of new questions that popped in my head during this discussion:
What does FSD do about cities/districts that have signs that say "roads withing [city] are 50kph unless marked"? Does it have a national geofence database?
Also, how does it handle 4 and 5-way and multi-lane stop signs with cars at all intersecting roads? I can't imagine it doing anything but barging in without considering who's right of way it is.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I wasn't brave stupid enough to even let it try at any stops where there were other vehicles.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I wasn't brave stupid enough to even let it try at any stops where there were other vehicles.

Same. I did it once and it did kinda ok but it didn’t feel trustworthy enough to continue. Also! It loves to see recommended speeds for intersections as actual speed limits. Country roads have tons of these and having to override it was a pain in the rear end. Again, autopilot never had an issue with this the two years I’ve made this exact drive so I don’t know wtf is going on with FSD

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I too got the FSD free trial. Thus far, in city driving, it’s been very conservative re: speed. It’s tackled a couple of random lanes ending surprisingly well.

There’s one intersection where there should be a turn lane, but there isn’t, so cars will often go into the shoulder somewhat to pass around a vehicle waiting to turn. FSD happily did the same, following two vehicles that did just that. I guess it depends on how comfortable one is with the system fudging the rules in the way human drivers do.

It clearly struggles with sign-controlled intersections - creeping up to the line, creeping a bit more, then slowly moving through the intersection. Fine when you’re the only person there, but it’s behavior that’s going to irritate people behind you and spook everyone else.

I had two times where I forced the system to disengage. One was in a parking lot where it wanted to back into an angled parking spot on the right (WTF?), and one at an intersection where it started to go and another car came around the corner.

The visualizations are surprisingly good, and have seemed to match up well with the actual layout of the roads.

I’ll be driving back to the San Jose area for work this week - it’ll be interesting to see how it handles freeway behavior.

I would say that having used it now myself, I think it’s no better and no worse than a kid with a new learner’s permit - it’s got the basics, but you definitely should keep a close eye on what it’s doing and be ready to intervene - and that’s ultimately not something I think a great many Tesla owners are capable of doing.

TL;DR: it’s wildly incomplete, it’s inappropriately named, it undersells how attentive you have to be, they shouldn’t be charging anyone for it, it’s being shipped to people who aren’t prepared to use it responsibly. And while I can appreciate the work that’s clearly gone into it…that isn’t enough.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

u
I would say that having used it now myself, I think it’s no better and no worse than a kid with a new learner’s permit - it’s got the basics, but you definitely should keep a close eye on what it’s doing and be ready to intervene - and that’s ultimately not something I think a great many Tesla owners are capable of doing.

Given that a great number of Tesla drivers where I am are kids with new learner's permits, it doesn't bode well.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It is impressive technically but not useful.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm glad I finally got a chance to try out FSD. The visualizations on the screen are pretty neat, it's slightly better on the curvy roads near my home, but I had to take over when it almost went over a curb on a sharp right at an intersection.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah I wish supercruise had the visualizations. It’s nice to know what it does/doesn’t see.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Blue Moonlight posted:

It clearly struggles with sign-controlled intersections - creeping up to the line, creeping a bit more, then slowly moving through the intersection. Fine when you’re the only person there, but

i mean... so is blowing through the intersection at speed

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Wayne Knight posted:

Yeah I wish supercruise had the visualizations. It’s nice to know what it does/doesn’t see.

Blue Cruise and Super Cruise are both based on the same-ish Mobileye platform which does support visualization, I'm kind of curious why both decided not to use that capability.

But doesn't Tesla explain away why the visualization view can be so lovely is that it is actually not the FSD system but a completely separate, much lower quality system?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Reflecting on the last week I've spent with the BYD Atto 3:

I had no expectations going in, but after driving it all over eastern Australia, I can confidently say that this is a genuinely excellent car that I wouldn't mind owning*
The interface was pretty intuitive, miles ahead of the lovely MG ZS, which is the only other Chinese car I've had personal experience with. Also what works really well if you don't feel like getting confused with settings while your Carplay navigation is up on screen, you just press the mic button on the steering wheel and tell it what to do. Voice commands worked great. The interior is cool, the seats are really comfortable, it's stable and easy to drive, the outward visibility and parking cameras are great, etc. Etc. There are a couple of minor nitpicks I had, but none notable enough to remember.
All in all, it's a shame you can't get them in North America.

*that is, until a beautiful ice blue Seal parked next to us...

Goddamn, this is a fine looking car. And Seal is objectively an excellent model name.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

And Seal is objectively an excellent model name.

BYD using random royalty free music instead of "Kiss from a rose" for their Seal ads is a major turn off.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Reflecting on the last week I've spent with the BYD Atto 3:

I had no expectations going in, but after driving it all over eastern Australia, I can confidently say that this is a genuinely excellent car that I wouldn't mind owning*
The interface was pretty intuitive, miles ahead of the lovely MG ZS, which is the only other Chinese car I've had personal experience with. Also what works really well if you don't feel like getting confused with settings while your Carplay navigation is up on screen, you just press the mic button on the steering wheel and tell it what to do. Voice commands worked great. The interior is cool, the seats are really comfortable, it's stable and easy to drive, the outward visibility and parking cameras are great, etc. Etc. There are a couple of minor nitpicks I had, but none notable enough to remember.
All in all, it's a shame you can't get them in North America.

*that is, until a beautiful ice blue Seal parked next to us...

Goddamn, this is a fine looking car. And Seal is objectively an excellent model name.

They've just unveiled their hybrid ute, the Shark, which I think is aimed at being a competitor for the Ford Ranger.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

bird with big dick posted:

Lexus ES350 is pure evil, protects its driver but kills other people.

I'm not feeling safe driving my Ford fusion. Everyone else will be fine though it seems

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
there's a dealership near-ish me offering a 2015 chevy volt for $8k, though it has 120k miles

am i insane or is this a crazy good deal? what am i gonna get screwed on here?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Radia posted:

there's a dealership near-ish me offering a 2015 chevy volt for $8k, though it has 120k miles

am i insane or is this a crazy good deal? what am i gonna get screwed on here?

That doesn't seem like much of a crazy good deal for a ~10 year old 1st gen volt.

Biggest issue is that it's out of production for a while and spare parts/maintenance for the PHEV systems might be harder to source since not that many 1st gen volts were made. Also it's a 1st gen volt so it's not nearly as nice as the 2nd gen.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
thanks. i am not as familiar with older used EV'sso all info helps

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also just in general, ten years is the cutoff after which manufacturers are no longer legally on the hook for making replacement parts available

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just got back from my trip. Supercruise was amazing. It seriously felt like watching the drive on tv from a very comfy chair. It was about 50:50 state road and interstate. Being hands-off for so long kicks autopilot’s rear end.

Also, I feel somehow obligated to report that a homeless person complimented the lyriq and gave a thumbs up. I chatted with him for a moment after. Nice guy.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Wayne Knight posted:

Also, I feel somehow obligated to report that a homeless person complimented the lyriq and gave a thumbs up. I chatted with him for a moment after. Nice guy.

You forgot to swap accounts, 3O.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

After it happened I was like “…poo poo, I gotta post about it.”

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A homeless guy in the Winco parking lot told me I had sweet rims but I can’t say that he was for sure unbiased as I gave him $2.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

nah that guy knows his poo poo

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Finger Prince posted:

There are a couple of minor nitpicks I had, but none notable enough to remember.

My parents have owned one for around nine months now and have the following gripes
- No memory for seat/mirror position
- No heated steering wheel
- No auto wipers
- Carplay is wired only (Android Auto does work wirelessly though)
- Stock tyres are terrible
- Range gauge is very optimistic when set to dynamic mode
- Inefficient in winter (think it's aggressively heating the battery)

It's all fairly minor stuff and overall they're very happy with it - the 360° camera system is top notch and makes parking a breeze

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

drk posted:

ID Buzz is supposedly coming out next month.

And yes, there are a few electric cargo vans also

drat that's a good looking vehicle. I was thinking more of a cargo van (albeit one of the smaller ones) as my next vehicle but that's super appealing.

... oh, wow, that is going to be an expensive vehicle, though. $50k minimum. I probably shouldn't be surprised (last time I looked at ICE vans they were at least $40k new), but still a bit of sticker shock there. But its a very good looking vehicle, so still quite tempting...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

A homeless guy in the Winco parking lot told me I had sweet rims but I can’t say that he was for sure unbiased as I gave him $2.

I gave a hitchhiker a ride home on my way back from Colorado and he was like "wow, a Tesla", and I was like "yeah, it's cool, but at the end of the day, it's just a car." Then we talked about his father dying and leaving him the house: he moved back to La Jara from Colorado Springs where he was doing pretty well as a barber. Now he's got a house, but it's in La Jara, and he's not sure what to do. His family had been in the area for at least 4 generations and was named a variation on Roybal, which is a super common name in the Española valley: I've heard they're all probably descended from this one guy who went through a lot of wives after the Spanish-American war. He agreed with me that people are generally good.

Does that count?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Q1 sales. Rivian is doing better than I thought, surprised to see them at #3

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Jaguar hasn't done poo poo since the I-Pace.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Given the price point, Lucid is kinda kicking rear end too.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The ioniq 6 gets rave reviews everywhere I look. Is the 5 similarly great?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It's the same car in a different body. Gets a bit less range, that's all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrYenko posted:

Given the price point, Lucid is kinda kicking rear end too.

I don’t know if it’s shipping yet but the base model Air with RWD and coil suspension, the one that SavageGeese raved about, isn’t that much pricier than the popular crop of $60k< EVs. At MSRP it’s cheaper than the currently available Rivians, most e-Tron models, a well-optioned Model S, etc.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

drk posted:

Q1 sales. Rivian is doing better than I thought, surprised to see them at #3

... huh. This is quite a bit different from what we saw Q1 in California, where Rivian is down in 11th.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Perhaps California isn’t the entire United States?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The ioniq 6 gets rave reviews everywhere I look. Is the 5 similarly great?
I own an Ioniq 6 and have driven 5's extensively as well. They're both spectacular.

Tayter Swift posted:

It's the same car in a different body. Gets a bit less range, that's all.

The Ioniq 5 and 6 get basically the same range on comparable trims: ~306 miles per charge on the mid-line SEL trim.

It really comes down to whether you want a sedan (the 6) or a crossover/small-SUV (the 5). I'll note that the 6 actually has better rear passenger legroom than the 5, and accommodates tall drivers/passengers slightly better, which is not intuitive when looking at their respective form factors.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Tayter Swift posted:

... huh. This is quite a bit different from what we saw Q1 in California, where Rivian is down in 11th.

truck

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FlapYoJacks posted:

Perhaps California isn’t the entire United States?

So I've been told. I just think it's an interesting difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

WhiteHowler posted:

I own an Ioniq 6 and have driven 5's extensively as well. They're both spectacular.

The Ioniq 5 and 6 get basically the same range on comparable trims: ~306 miles per charge on the mid-line SEL trim.

It really comes down to whether you want a sedan (the 6) or a crossover/small-SUV (the 5). I'll note that the 6 actually has better rear passenger legroom than the 5, and accommodates tall drivers/passengers slightly better, which is not intuitive when looking at their respective form factors.

the Ioniq5 is not an SUV it’s a hatchback that they used photoshop to blow up to 1.4x size