Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really, really love that series, the characters, the writing, the concepts it introduces("EXP" and "levels" in it is so stupid and fascinating and unique), and the humor especially, but I cannot read more than a chapter or two at a time.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I never get tired of the manually operated rpg system gag.

Also enjoying Isekai Samurai, surprisingly. Dodges the usual bullshit and Ginko is a hell of a protagonist, which I mean she's a psychopath in the best possible way.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

I really, really love that series, the characters, the writing, the concepts it introduces("EXP" and "levels" in it is so stupid and fascinating and unique), and the humor especially, but I cannot read more than a chapter or two at a time.

I feel like there was another one similar to this one about courtiers as well or something, but I can't recall.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Emzedoh posted:

Also enjoying Isekai Samurai, surprisingly. Dodges the usual bullshit and Ginko is a hell of a protagonist, which I mean she's a psychopath in the best possible way.

Having your isekai protagonist be an actual character already make it 99th percentile among isekai.

Helps that its actually good, too.
Lots of onepunchman inspiration but in the way that understands what makes that good, story and artwise.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I feel like there was another one similar to this one about courtiers as well or something, but I can't recall.

Do you mean another series they did? The one about various historical infantry soldiers (who are also girls)?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Emzedoh posted:

posting since it's been a few years

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

Do you mean another series they did? The one about various historical infantry soldiers (who are also girls)?

No it wasn't that one. I could be misremembering, but I could swear there was another series about traveling and/or delivering letters. I think either a dragon was involved In a chapter or maybe a gag about tombstones marking your death location before respawning (hell, it could be this series for all I know and I simply forgot).

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I remember a series about delivering letters in fantasy land that had similar vibes. There was basically a whole towns worth of people who’d follow a hero around dissecting the monsters + dragon that he killed and making items from them. The name escapes me at the moment but I don’t think you’re misremembering it at least. But as you say might be the same series.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Elite posted:

I remember a series about delivering letters in fantasy land that had similar vibes. There was basically a whole towns worth of people who’d follow a hero around dissecting the monsters + dragon that he killed and making items from them. The name escapes me at the moment but I don’t think you’re misremembering it at least. But as you say might be the same series.

It is the same series, one of the earlier arcs.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Aw, got my hopes up for something new to read. Ah well.

Speaking of The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier though,

Vesi posted:

posting since it's been a few years

For people that don't read this series, you might be asking, how do they know how much damage is being dealt? The answer, experience point tracker training involves being beaten up a lot: "ok that's what 10 damage feels like, oof that's what 20 damage feels like."

It is a very silly series.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A very silly series that is also occasionally crushingly depressing and pessimistic about society!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
HITS is entering its own fusion saga it seems!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Kanos posted:

A very silly series that is also occasionally crushingly depressing and pessimistic about society!

Sometimes you gotta laugh or you'll cry :T

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kanos posted:

All in service of an Ideal Society :)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's just how life was back then

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The One Within the Villainess continues to satisfy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Watamote

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Archer666 posted:

HITS is entering its own fusion saga it seems!

Looked interesting, thought I'd check it out but in the middle of their first job together I bailed because it got gross as gently caress. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This thread should come with a disclaimer “Just because a series has a funny page doesn’t mean it’s good or worth recommending”

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Looked interesting, thought I'd check it out but in the middle of their first job together I bailed because it got gross as gently caress. :(

Probably should have warned people that it is your pretty basic trashy seinen series, with all the baggage that comes with that. Sorry about that.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Millennium Darling is a boys love series.

The plot is fairly succinct.

And the writing is highly charming.

The art is just spectacular.

But the absolute wildest part of this series is that it was first published in 2020. You didn't miss it, it's just a love letter to that early Heisei vibe.

Millennium Darling, won't you?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks neat! Even if that forehead freaks me out a bit

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Magus of the Library is very good and y'all should be reading it.

It's like, what if Will from Faraway Paladin was the MC of Witch Hat Atelier.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 31, 2024

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Shangri-La Frontier

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

doomrider7 posted:

It's like, what if Will from Faraway Paladin was the MC of Witch Hat Atelier.
Sold.

Content:

Context: I have been reading Red: Living on the Edge. I like it so far.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Red rules

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lock Knight posted:

Sold.

Content:

Context: I have been reading Red: Living on the Edge. I like it so far.

I really need to read this at some point.

Also to elaborate, MC is like Will from Faraway Paladin(steadfast, honest, kind, compassionate, stronger than he looks, polite, eccentrically educated) and Inori from Medalist(exceedingly driven to a personal goal, awkward and shy from bullying due to being different) and the world is very similar to WHA with discussions about race, class, and sociopolitical intrigue.

Edit: Been reading this nonestop and HOW HAS THIS NOT WON AWARDS OR BEEN PLACED ON PAR WITH STUFF LIKE WITCH HAT ATELIER OR MAYBE EVEN ABOVE IT IN SOME CASES!!! Also, I 100% stand by my post that Theo is basically Will from Faraway Paladin with a bit of Inori from Medalist plopped in a Middle Eastern version of WHA.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 1, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqsfouPV02w

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Out of all the religions shown in Magus of the Library, this is without a doubt the most accurate and appealing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Out of all the religions shown in Magus of the Library, this is without a doubt the most accurate and appealing.

Just started Volume 7 myself. Really wish we were also getting Volume 8 on the 8th like japan is.

Edit: The extra fluff inbetween chapters is so good in this series. Particularly in (I think) volumes 3 (the highlights of the central city) and volume 5 (the seminal texts of the continent). It's a good use of those extra pages in the volume to flesh out the worldbuilding, especially in one that's as increasingly dense as Magus.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 2, 2024

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

Just started Volume 7 myself. Really wish we were also getting Volume 8 on the 8th like japan is.

I'm legit shocked that the series isn't talked about more and hasn't had a major award run of some kind with the themes it tackles and how it does so.

Edit: Agree 100% about the cultural world building blurbs, more series should do stuff like that. Also, glasses lady is best character.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 2, 2024

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mango sauce?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

Mango sauce?

Noa-senpai wa Tomodachi

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I didn't realize the "original work" credited in Magus of the Library was an in universe bit until I tried to google it, wondering how I hadn't heard of what must be some great novels :lol:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

World's End Sabotage

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Dangers in My Heart

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kindergarden Wars