Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

I still feel like the overall vibe I'm getting from this group of devs is they are all just sitting around with some rendering software, painting miniatures and drinking fruity microbrewery ales all day long. I'd be very surprised if we even see a beta within the time frame of when the actual game is supposed to be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Stanyer89 posted:

It's sad when a game like this is all you really have to look forward to in the 40k universe.

There's more 40k games coming out now then ever before in the history of 40k and the only ones that looks any good are the ones that seems entirely cribbed off Relic's games.

Why GW... Why did you not just keep Relic on the 40k IP... :negative:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but isn't this made by the people that brought you the Iron Man Movie game? I find it really hard to either get excited or hold my breath with that in mind.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

DandyLion posted:

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but isn't this made by the people that brought you the Iron Man Movie game? I find it really hard to either get excited or hold my breath with that in mind.

What really? I actually liked that game... :downsgun:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

DandyLion posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread has been overly excited or has high (if any) expectations for the game. The bar is set so low that all they have to do is successfully remake the multiplayer of Space Marine in a persistent world (which is what they're planning to do) and fans will jump all over it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My current expectations are a .exe file that won't set my computer on fire when i run it

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Requested_Username posted:

My current expectations are a .exe file that won't set my computer on fire when i run it

It's actually a batch file :ssh:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Requested_Username posted:

I feel like this is aiming a little too high

I just want one well made 40k game.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread has been overly excited or has high (if any) expectations for the game. The bar is set so low that all they have to do is successfully remake the multiplayer of Space Marine in a persistent world (which is what they're planning to do) and fans will jump all over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MumYPtiRaw

Looks pretty similar to Space Marine. I dare to hope!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Waroduce posted:

I feel like this is aiming a little too high

I just want one well made 40k game.

Hey, the Dawn of War games were good. And Space Marine was alright for what it was.

Dark Millennium actually looked really good for early-pre alpha status when they went bankrupt.

At this point, if the game isn't a laggy piece of crap and the gameplay is even half way fun, they'll get a few bucks from me so I can kill random assholes in the name of the Emperor.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9H7LEecCB0

More footage. Looks like a fair bit of emphasis on "executes"

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I for one don't mind but it looks like they just stripped some of the models/animations straight out of Space Marine, doesn't it? It's particularly noticeable during melee.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
It's definitely using some assets that were taken straight out of Space Marine. The grenade indicator is the most obvious one.

I hope the game will have some kind of cover system. It might have made sense not to have it in Space Marine but I can't imagine surviving very long in the open if a battle involves a PlanetSide 2 amount of players.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 23, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Was that space marine taking cover? Like, straight up using a building and placeholder assets as a shield for a solid 45 seconds or so.

gently caress that. Space Marines don't take cover. They rampage through it like the Incredible Hulk's retarded futuristic cousin. Preferably while spouting off pithy one liners about how hosed you are in the Emperor's name. :colbert:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Archonex posted:

Was that space marine taking cover? Like, straight up using a building and placeholder assets as a shield for a solid 45 seconds or so.

gently caress that. Space Marines don't take cover. They rampage through it like the Incredible Hulk's retarded futuristic cousin. Preferably while spouting off pithy one liners about how hosed you are in the Emperor's name. :colbert:

Kind of looked more like some buggy interaction with the wall than taking cover but it's hard to tell the difference at this stage of development.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Archonex posted:

Impossible to satisfy in a video game. In almost every shooter people will naturally want to take cover anyway, so even if it's not "cover based" (as in, has mechanics that put the player "in cover" in game terms) people will just stand behind objects anyway. The only shooters wehere players don't really take cover very much are ones in which players have lots of mobility and little durability (Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike). A shooter in which you have lots of durability and don't take any cover means people are just standing around pumping whole magazines into each other, which is poo poo both from a visual prospective as well as mechanically.

So either your space marine is a big beefy man who cowers behind a waist high barrier, or he bravely charges into enemy fire and then goes down in three bullets. Deal with it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Chomp8645 posted:

Impossible to satisfy in a video game. In almost every shooter people will naturally want to take cover anyway, so even if it's not "cover based" (as in, has mechanics that put the player "in cover" in game terms) people will just stand behind objects anyway. The only shooters wehere players don't really take cover very much are ones in which players have lots of mobility and little durability (Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike). A shooter in which you have lots of durability and don't take any cover means people are just standing around pumping whole magazines into each other, which is poo poo both from a visual prospective as well as mechanically.

So either your space marine is a big beefy man who cowers behind a waist high barrier, or he bravely charges into enemy fire and then goes down in three bullets. Deal with it.

This is why it had better not be Space Marine the MMO. Space Marines are a great concept since they're literally designed to let a player say "gently caress it, I am the cover!" and just wade into a storm of lasfire while firing in every direction like they're re-enacting the end of Scarface. Space Marine's MP kind of hosed up there, since it was so samey in that regard. The inclusion of swarms of NPC's really would have helped on that front.

The canceled MMO seemed to be building up to a good balance of this and tactical shoot'em up games. You had a mix of things like space marines versus chaos marines on display in the trailers, but there was also different tiers of potential content available. IE: A space marine against a horde of cultists, which is a situation where they could just wade in. Or against a frigging titan, which is definitely something you'd want to take cover against.

Somehow I kind of doubt this game is going to have that level of complexity though. :(

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Seems like an innovative solution to Space Marines being TOO GOOD if properly implemented in an MMO would be to ensure that they are always outnumbered.

Perhaps by allowing the non-paying playerbase to play as one of the horde factions that are individually very mediocre.

(I like this idea and I hope it works)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I already said it earlier in the thread: Everyone should be imperial guard and other weak units most of the time. And turning into a space marine should be possible for like 5-10 minutes every hour or so. With some constraints, of course. Like a maximum of X spacemarines per zone at the same time.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only F2P.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
50% off is the first step on the road to F2P moneytization.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I already said it earlier in the thread: Everyone should be imperial guard and other weak units most of the time. And turning into a space marine should be possible for like 5-10 minutes every hour or so. With some constraints, of course. Like a maximum of X spacemarines per zone at the same time.

Can we just get Savage 2 with Warhammer 40k skins already?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Blessed is the MMO too small for a subscription.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Archonex posted:

Warhammin' it up in this place but this is pretty much entirely wrong. Space Marines are super strong and tough but there's plenty of weapons in 40k that will chop them down like nothing if they run around in the open all the time like morons and they know it - that's how they survive for so long despite fighting horrible magic psychic alien monsters on a daily basis. If you're a dude who spent 20 years learning to fight and another 100 years killing dudes in the Emperor's name, you're going to know when to hide behind a rock so someone doesn't melt you with a plasma gun and when you can run through a storm of lasers to slice some dudes up with a chainsaw sword. After all, it's pretty difficult to purge the xenos and purify the heretic when you don't have a torso anymore because somebody shot you with a lascannon.

Even notable berserker marines like Space Wolves and Black Templars do stuff besides "run forward blindly into gunfire". I'm pretty sure the only marines who don't give a gently caress about anything like that are Khornate chaos marines. :goonsay:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, if you want to go full sperg I'd say the fluff about thousands of years old Rhinos and poo poo is the most implausible thing out on paper in the last fifty years (The Turner Diaries not included), but that doesn't stop them from writing it. Seriously, when did a Rhino ever survive a battle in tabletop 40k? Just because there's plenty of poo poo in the tabletop game that'll gently caress up a SM doesn't mean they aren't imagining SPESS MEHREENS walking around like nigh unstoppable one man tanks or some poo poo when they write the fluff. I love the fluff of 40k in the same way I love Conan, if you ever start taking it even a bit seriously you might as well stop reading and playing right here.

The whole setting is well grounded in its own implausibility.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kanos posted:

Warhammin' it up in this place but this is pretty much entirely wrong. Space Marines are super strong and tough but there's plenty of weapons in 40k that will chop them down like nothing if they run around in the open all the time like morons and they know it - that's how they survive for so long despite fighting horrible magic psychic alien monsters on a daily basis. If you're a dude who spent 20 years learning to fight and another 100 years killing dudes in the Emperor's name, you're going to know when to hide behind a rock so someone doesn't melt you with a plasma gun and when you can run through a storm of lasers to slice some dudes up with a chainsaw sword. After all, it's pretty difficult to purge the xenos and purify the heretic when you don't have a torso anymore because somebody shot you with a lascannon.

Even notable berserker marines like Space Wolves and Black Templars do stuff besides "run forward blindly into gunfire". I'm pretty sure the only marines who don't give a gently caress about anything like that are Khornate chaos marines. :goonsay:

:kheldragar:Blood For The Blood God:kheldragar:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Waroduce posted:

:kheldragar:Blood For The Blood God:kheldragar:

Which is funny that everyone always goes "Only Khorne marines charge into combat!" yet they sure aren't running out of Khorne marines so clearly it must be working out alright for them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Well, they do make more Marines by stealing and corrupting gene seed, along with caring a hell of a lot less about gene seed mutations than the Imperium.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Well, they do make more Marines by stealing and corrupting gene seed, along with caring a hell of a lot less about gene seed mutations than the Imperium.

Also Chaos Space Marines don't die, they just get temporarily discombobulated... then are reformed in a Chaos realm to be thrown back into combat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, if you want to go full sperg I'd say the fluff about thousands of years old Rhinos and poo poo is the most implausible thing out on paper in the last fifty years (The Turner Diaries not included), but that doesn't stop them from writing it. Seriously, when did a Rhino ever survive a battle in tabletop 40k? Just because there's plenty of poo poo in the tabletop game that'll gently caress up a SM doesn't mean they aren't imagining SPESS MEHREENS walking around like nigh unstoppable one man tanks or some poo poo when they write the fluff. I love the fluff of 40k in the same way I love Conan, if you ever start taking it even a bit seriously you might as well stop reading and playing right here.

The whole setting is well grounded in its own implausibility.

I'm not even talking about tabletop rules when I say "there are plenty of weapons that can kill space marines", though. There's plenty of fluff examples of marines getting killed even by normal humans. They're superhumanly powerful and durable but they're still mortal.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

randombattle posted:

Which is funny that everyone always goes "Only Khorne marines charge into combat!" yet they sure aren't running out of Khorne marines so clearly it must be working out alright for them.

Khorne cares not from where the blood flows. Only that it flows.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Miles O'Brian posted:

Khorne cares not from where the blood flows. Only that it flows.

Which is why Abaddon is still in charge! :pseudo:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

THE BAR posted:

Which is why Abaddon is still in charge! :pseudo:

And why Kharn is still showing up at random to butcher people regardless of affiliation.

[EDIT] That'd actually be a good excuse for a mini-boss style event in something like this. Just about every faction has some kind of justification for "this famous guy randomly appears, PREPARE YOUR ANUS!"

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Kanos posted:

Depends on the writer really. That being said, your average weapons aren't going to gently caress with a space marine that much. Stuff like meltas are far less common than lasguns and flamethrowers given the general technological decay of the setting. And even if they run up against someone with lots of them, that's when they usually stop acting like berserk murder tanks and start strategizing. They're basically bipedal organic tanks that can literally subsist on rocks, heal insanely fast, have backup organs, and depending on the chapter literally spit acid at you.

That being said, the whole "Always charging! Always shooting! Helmets are for pussies!" thing is definitely a trope that 40K loves. And it's one the public is familiar with. If they're wanting to differentiate the free classes from the paid classes they'd be stupid not to work that in somehow.

quote:

[EDIT] That'd actually be a good excuse for a mini-boss style event in something like this. Just about every faction has some kind of justification for "this famous guy randomly appears, PREPARE YOUR ANUS!"

They keep talking about the game using a random event system like how Warhammer Online was supposed to have to balance things out. Having Kharne show up if players are being too carebear with each other, before flipping the gently caress out out and murdering everything in range would be hilarious.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 2, 2014

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

nucleicmaxid posted:

Also Chaos Space Marines don't die, they just get temporarily discombobulated... then are reformed in a Chaos realm to be thrown back into combat.

The only things that do that are daemons, because they don't have a physical body and are merely a temporary manifestation after being summoned. Chaos marines die when they're killed, because they aren't creatures of the Warp, but the plus side is that they can stay in real space as long as they want. The only Chaos marines who get reformed on death are the ones who've been elevated to daemonhood.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Lassitude posted:

The only Chaos marines who get reformed on death are the ones who've been elevated to daemonhood.

Or are complete and utter scenery chewers like Sindri. Or are just so batshit crazy that the gods love them, like Kharne. Or are "BFF's" with Nurgle, who sometimes ressurects them. Or if they have some crazy blessing/mutation that makes them semi-immortal, like that guy who possesses people that show pride at defeating him.

Really, if you have plot armor you can come back if you're a part of Chaos.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

There's also that Slaanesh guy who transforms whoever kills him into a copy of himself. Lucius the Eternal. But yeah, while there's plenty of plot armor for villains to explain how they get into a lot of fights and don't die, your run-of-the-mill Chaos marines are proper dead when killed.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Lucius is all kinds of hosed up. Hope you never feel any kind of joy over not being killed in a duel with the galaxy's best swordsman, because welp, he's you now and your screaming, tortured soul is bound to his armor.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Send a Necron Lord to kill him :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

frajaq posted:

Send a Necron Lord to kill him :colbert:

Might not work either. Necrons aren't mindless killing machines since their last codex update, not all of them at least. The basic necron might be as mindless as ever but the higher-ups retain their personalty.

Sending a tyranid is probably a safer bet.

• Locked thread