Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Watching kao writhe in agony was tough :(
Gambatte Blondie!!

But also I might be on team tsubaki now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I caught up with the thread and had to jump on the :sadfan: club. I don't think I can take any more hardship, but I know it's going to be a rough end.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Devil Tesla posted:

You better be prepared because it's going to be awesome. Swelling music, huge tears, flash forwards to how everyone deals with it years from now. I'm so looking forward to her dying it'll be the best part of the show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Watching kao writhe in agony was tough :(
Gambatte Blondie!!

But also I might be on team tsubaki now

Kaori
  • Beautiful
  • Magical spirit
  • Makes life colorful

Tsubaki
  • Not going to die

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

The Devil Tesla posted:

Kaori
  • Beautiful
  • Magical spirit
  • Makes life colorful

Tsubaki
  • Not going to die

fuckin nailed it :lol:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Kaori
  • Beautiful
  • Magical spirit
  • Makes life colorful

Tsubaki
  • Not going to die

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you forgot emi who is superior to either

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why is the OP so happy when this show is going to leave me a broken empty shell?

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

you forgot emi who is superior to either

Ding ding ding. But.... Nagi is a worthy competitor. I can't decide which I like better with Kousei. Try as I might, I don't want Tsubaki with Kousei. I frequently like the childhood friend more than the vapid heroine but Kaori isn't vapid. And even with the ending we all see coming, I can't get behind Tsubaki. I think she is too tsun for me and I don't get a strong dere vibe from her.

So yeah... Emi or Nagi all the way if it's not Kaori. I almost like them better than Kaori but I think the ending might put her back into favorite spot for me. I have reason to believe that an early suspicion I had about her is true, and if that's the case it makes her more compelling to me.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The show will end with Kousei making out with a piano, fondling the keys etc.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

The show will end with Kousei making out with a piano, fondling the keys etc.

You heard it here first. Kousei is an objectum-sexual. It will never work out with a human because his only love is the piano. And also, none of the humans stick around long enough for a real chance.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Surprisingly compelling comedy option: Takeshi.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just watched the latest episode.

I'm really sorry that it has to be this way, but it's amazing how little I care about Kaori. She's probably the least developed of all non-incidental characters in the show. Hell, right now I find it hard to even see her as a character, she (and her illness) are plot devices used to move other characters along.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

Just watched the latest episode.

I'm really sorry that it has to be this way, but it's amazing how little I care about Kaori. She's probably the least developed of all non-incidental characters in the show. Hell, right now I find it hard to even see her as a character, she (and her illness) are plot devices used to move other characters along.

remember how nagi always was telling kousei how cliched he was and you know what he doesnt care and it works for him

----------------

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So I just read the last chapter of the manga...

loving hell, I really thought she was going to live. I really really wanted her to but given how much of the manga was dedicated to showing how much Tsubaki likes Kousei I knew it wasnt going to happen but it still doesnt change the fact that it was sad to see the manga ended on this tone. I guess its neater this way but I think its a shame that it hasn't shown everyone reactions to her death. Everyone just seems to have accepted it and moved on and its kinda jarring. All in all though I enjoyed this and I am sad to see it finished.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FiftySeven posted:

loving hell, I really thought she was going to live. I really really wanted her to but given how much of the manga was dedicated to showing how much Tsubaki likes Kousei I knew it wasnt going to happen but it still doesnt change the fact that it was sad to see the manga ended on this tone. I guess its neater this way but I think its a shame that it hasn't shown everyone reactions to her death. Everyone just seems to have accepted it and moved on and its kinda jarring. All in all though I enjoyed this and I am sad to see it finished.
:siren: More manga spoilers :siren:
That's exactly what I hated about the ending. I wanted to see how Kousei copes with the situation and see how Kaori has affected his life for the long term. Does he continue playing music? Does he remember her years down the road? There was hardly any character development for any character other than Kaori who's now dead... And if memory serves correctly, I didn't see Kousei shed even a single tear. The manga just ends abruptly in such a depressing tone and leaves an empty void. Not to say that the ending was bad, but god drat it, I wanted to see more. :sigh:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

FiftySeven posted:

The final chapter takes place a decent amount of time after the actual death itself, I think. They show him receiving the letter from the parents at the graveyard. In terms of tears, though, the performance at the end has plenty of it, and in many ways people can often pre-mourn when someone they know is sick or unhealthy for long periods of time. I don't think having the comic spell out everything for the reader by showing where they all end up would work that well in this case, as it sort of points them in a general direction.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

manga spoilers

i am glad it ended how it ended. it was open ended enough that a lot of different things could happen, but it also had closure. the anime of Hyouka ended the same way and that was one of the major things i liked about that show. i am just glad it didnt end with them all coming back for their elementary class reunion 5 years later or something and we see what everyone is doing now. those endings are dumb. it was a really good story and i hope it gets licensed in english because i would buy it. also Kaori's treasure was a picture of her and Kousei just happened to be walking in the background :unsmith:

----------------

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
finally the title makes sense. Beautiful ending to a beautiful manga.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The manga ending was good. And it looks like the anime one will be just as good. :unsmith:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So many bars... must resist

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So many bars... must resist

I wish it could be a rule that manga discussion has to go in its own thread. This is too regular a thing, where anime threads get effectively hijacked by posts about the manga, which puts anime-only people in a lovely position.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I wish it could be a rule that manga discussion has to go in its own thread. This is too regular a thing, where anime threads get effectively hijacked by posts about the manga, which puts anime-only people in a lovely position.

shut up bitch

----------------

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

:siren:Manga Spoilers:siren:
I think in chapter 43, we see Kousei do enough grieving. It's his final farewell to Kaori, and all I can gather from that chapter is he knew she wasn't going to survive the surgery. The imagery of her blowing away in the wind with the cherry-blossoms was really well done. Agreed, the parents are giving the letter to Kousei at the grave site, so you know a bit of time has passed. She died, they probably cremated her, a grave site was erected, and a meeting at said site agreed upon. The final letter really summed up everything really well. The author didn't have to go overboard with Tsubaki and Kousei finally getting together either.

Overall, I got that Kousei was finally able to deal with the grief of losing someone he loved -- again, and this time properly. He overwhelmingly won in the competition in Chapter 43 with his two rivals again recognizing him as once more in front of them -- a huge step forward. I, for one, didn't hate Tsubaki. She was no Kaori, but I didn't find her really offensive. She could've been more straight-forward with recognizing her own feelings and verbalizing them, but whatever. Compared to what Kaori did, well really.

I guess the best part is that Kaori is a fictional girl in a simple yet really poignant manga. No one really died, but the story certainly was heartwarming, touching in many ways, and very memorable. This manga will likely be one of my all time favorites. Plus, it didn't drag on forever.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Episode 21 brought out my weekly sniffles. I love to see how much Kousei evolves during the internal reflection shots as he sits down; that dude is going to have unreal mental strength. All that's left is to see what awaits next week... and I'm hoping for the best :cry:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That episode, while quiet,

was pretty loving amazing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

That episode, while quiet,

was pretty loving amazing.

• not going to die
  • makes cute noises

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

we all need someone to kiss us goodbye.

----------------

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

It's really funny in somehting like the Parasyte thread, where people are terrified and endlessly speculating and black barring the possible ending for a series that\s like 20 years old now.

Just read the comic dangnabbit, it's good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I dream of a world where the spoiler bbcode is destroyed entirely.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

we all need someone to kiss us goodbye.

I'm glad we got one more Peanuts quote out of her before she dies.

That Isn't a spoiler I don't know what happens.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Yawgmoft posted:

...before she dies.

That Isn't a spoiler I don't know what happens.

That was pretty clear a long time ago

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is next week the last episode?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Is next week the last episode?

yes

----------------

coathat
May 21, 2007

manga spoilers

i am glad it ended how it ended. it was open ended enough that a lot of different things could happen, but it also had closure. the anime of Hyouka ended the same way and that was one of the major things i liked about that show. i am just glad it didnt end with them all coming back for their elementary class reunion 5 years later or something and we see what everyone is doing now. those endings are dumb. it was a really good story and i hope it gets licensed in english because i would buy it. also Kaori's treasure was a picture of her and Kousei just happened to be walking in the background :unsmith:

It is licensed and the first volume comes out next month.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the group who "owned" the scanlation project for the manga just put up the final chapter today. i would say the manga is definitely worth a read. the anime adds a lot to the story just in terms of being able to hear the music, but the manga is still good. i think the manga stands up on its own and didnt need to be adapted, but im happy it was.

final episode is thursday please let it bring color to your life

----------------

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

the group who "owned" the scanlation project for the manga just put up the final chapter today. i would say the manga is definitely worth a read. the anime adds a lot to the story just in terms of being able to hear the music, but the manga is still good. i think the manga stands up on its own and didnt need to be adapted, but im happy it was.

final episode is thursday please let it bring color to your life

Dick Spacious-shisho, are there many side stories and things not covered by the anime that make it worth reading?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Razzled posted:

Dick Spacious-shisho, are there many side stories and things not covered by the anime that make it worth reading?

no the anime is a 100% adaptation of the manga. personally i guess i just like reading manga more than watching anime

----------------

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

no the anime is a 100% adaptation of the manga. personally i guess i just like reading manga more than watching anime

I cannot fault you for this, but I am a neanderthal and I need music amines to have music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The manga is 100% pro and on point all of the time, where the adaptation has a couple issues with production quality here and there. And the anime sticks so close to the manga that the pacing suffers, there's a couple points that read better than they played in the anime. A good example: a page that reminds people of something that happens previously can be scanned over quickly, but directly interrupts the pace of a TV show.

I'm very glad that I read the manga before watching the show. Discovering what happens, and then experiencing it, made me like it more.

Both are fantastic, of course, and you can always stick to one or the other depending on what you like!

• Locked thread